NEurope
Glen-i

Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate

It's about bloody time! So much for focusing on Worlds, eh? Might have to get the old hunting team back and batter another thousand Astalos, eh @S.C.G?

Trailer confirms that you can transfer your save data from the 3DS version!

EDIT: European date confirmed to be the same as America.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

It's gonna be REALLY hard going back to the old Monster Hunter after playing Worlds. Still, I'll be picking it up.

• Like 2

I wonder if it'll run into any issues with all the new gamers Monster Hunter Worlds has now attracted buying this and basically going backwards. Obviously people familiar to the series will know what they are getting into but Worlds really broke into the West for the series so there will be a lot of people who dont know the old style. Personally I'm not sure this release is the best idea.

1 minute ago, Happenstance said:

I wonder if it'll run into any issues with all the new gamers Monster Hunter Worlds has now attracted buying this and basically going backwards. Obviously people familiar to the series will know what they are getting into but Worlds really broke into the West for the series so there will be a lot of people who dont know the old style. Personally I'm not sure this release is the best idea.

That could certainly happen but on the other hand it could do very well due to World getting people into the franchise. It's not exactly a big financial risk, given that this is essentially a 3DS port that's been sat waiting to be localized for a year.

It's will arrive at the perfect time for me as I'm done with World and I'm ready for my next MH fix.

2 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

That could certainly happen but on the other hand it could do very well due to World getting people into the franchise. It's not exactly a big financial risk, given that this is essentially a 3DS port that's been sat waiting to be localized for a year.

It's will arrive at the perfect time for me as I'm done with World and I'm ready for my next MH fix.

I think for me I just have no interest in going backwards with the series. I really enjoyed World and dont want to have to go back to the old way of playing again so I wont be getting it.

Well, luckily we can play it for free online for a couple of days before the online service kicks in!

• Haha 4

Maybe I'll join you guys. I've always had an interest in the series, but never got the Wii game, and without a WiiU or 3DS, this 'll be my first opportunity to play it. Too bad it doesn't look that interesting visually though, after seeing videos of Monster Hunter World.. They should've build it from the ground up for Switch instead of 3DS. I don't see the appeal in playing this handheld.

After World, and with Nintendo’s online not being up to par, I will probably give this a miss.

22 minutes ago, Vileplume2000 said:

Well, luckily we can play it for free online for a couple of days before the online service kicks in!

3 minutes ago, Kav said:

After World, and with Nintendo’s online not being up to par, I will probably give this a miss.

I never even thought about this! I may just play it offline, then. It will just be like playing the PSP games all over again! :D 

• Like 1

Echoing the sentiment in that it’s about bloody time!  My Switch has been crying for Monster Hunter!

i just hope they fix the fugly HUD from the JPN Switch version, it was an absolute eyesore!

Even if we don’t get a new MH game on Switch, I’m glad we’re at least getting this.  I miss proper Monster Hunter with proper local multiplayer!

2 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Even if we don’t get a new MH game on Switch, I’m glad we’re at least getting this.  I miss proper Monster Hunter with proper local multiplayer!

What exactly makes World not a proper Monster Hunter?

19 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Can't speak for him, but hearing about stuff like how you can use Potions while running did a right number on any excitement I had for it. There's a lot less risk in actions like that.

Local multiplayer is a right laugh too, screaming at your teammates when they run off to leave you fighting by yourself is never not funny.

7 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Can't speak for him, but hearing about stuff like how you can use Potions while running did a right number on any excitement I had for it. There's a lot less risk in actions like that.

Local multiplayer is a right laugh too, screaming at your teammates when they run off to leave you fighting by yourself is never not funny.

There's absolutely risk involved. You slow down for a start. The time it takes to drink a potion differs depending on the amount of health it will restore, leaving you more vulnerable when using a Mega Potion or something like an antidote.

All the changes in the game are QoL benefits and hardly make the game any easier. Not that it needing making easier anyway. The game turned down the difficulty a few games back now.

As for playing with friends, that's why party chat was invented, not that Nintendo would know anything about that. :p 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

The lack of a proper local multiplayer experience really.  Online is fun and all, but nothing beats the local multiplayer MH experience.

I’m actually waiting for the PC version of MHW because I plan to try jury rigging up some sort of LAN play with it; I can’t justify buying another couple of PS4s, 3 copies of the game and 3 sets of PSN Plus, it’s absurd.

30 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

The lack of a proper local multiplayer experience really.  Online is fun and all, but nothing beats the local multiplayer MH experience.

I’m actually waiting for the PC version of MHW because I plan to try jury rigging up some sort of LAN play with it; I can’t justify buying another couple of PS4s, 3 copies of the game and 3 sets of PSN Plus, it’s absurd.

The irony here is that the proper MH games (1&2) were online multiplayer games and it was the spinoff series (portable) that made the local multiplayer popular. :p 

Sounds like the real issue for you is that it's not on a console your family and friends own. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

It doesn’t let you play as a cat for a start. ;):heh: 

I would’ve been all over this if it were a port of World, or a brand new MH. But having spent hundreds of hours on the 3DS games already, there’s very little incentive for me to go through it all over again on Switch. :hmm: 

Great news for anyone that missed the 3DS games, or is only just getting into the series though.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, RedShell said:

It doesn’t let you play as a cat for a start. ;):heh: 

I would’ve been all over this if it were a port of World, or a brand new MH. But having spent hundreds of hours on the 3DS games already, there’s very little incentive for me to go through it all over again on Switch. :hmm: 

Great news for anyone that missed the 3DS games, or is only just getting into the series though.

You could just transfer your save and you'll be ready to fight the new beasties pretty quickly.

Just now, Hero-of-Time said:

You could just transfer your save and you'll be ready to fight the new beasties pretty quickly.

Yeah, but then it’d probably feel like having bought/played only half a game. :hehe: 

How many new monsters are there anyway?

4 minutes ago, RedShell said:

Yeah, but then it’d probably feel like having bought/played only half a game. :hehe: 

How many new monsters are there anyway?

There's around 20 but a lot are just variants of previous creatures.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

The irony here is that the proper MH games (1&2) were online multiplayer games and it was the spinoff series (portable) that made the local multiplayer popular. :p 

Sounds like the real issue for you is that it's not on a console your family and friends own. 

Well I do have some grievances with the changes they’ve made, like the removal of the potion pause and the open world-ish level design (which needs the fire fly mechanic to find monsters as a result), but the lack of local multi is the biggest one I have.

I do know that the series started out as online only and Tri was my first MH game (followed by MHF2 on PSP) but local multi is a big deal for me.  I still want to give MHW a try, but I would want it to at least be somewhat feasible to do local multi, so I’m waiting for the PC version (having to need 3-4 PS4s, games, PS+ subscriptions and 4 TVs is just not a viable option - at least with the PC one I could use laptops or a small monitor and don’t need an online subscription); though online is fun, it’s just not as fun as local (or a local/online mix).

So I’m pretty happy to at least see some form of local MH continue in the west.

Edited by Dcubed

Just now, Hero-of-Time said:

There's around 20 but a lot are just variants of previous creatures.

It does have additional areas as well doesn’t it? As well as 3? new hunting styles.

Plus of course there’s G Rank.

Not sure about the areas ( although Lao returns so that's one right there ) but the variants I mentioned will no doubt be the G rank content. 

I was just thinking... I wonder if there’s a chance that this might be a budget price release, rather than a full Switch RRP one...

I reckon that it would make a huge difference to its chances of success and both the game and Capcom’s overall reputation amongst Switch owners if it was $39.99/$39.99/£29.99 over here in the west.  That would actually give it a solid chance of success and also make it not feel like an insulting gesture to Switch owners for getting this instead of World.

To acknowledge that it’s a 3DS level game being released on Switch and give it appropriate 3DS level pricing would make a big difference I reckon.  It would also make it a much more enticing prospect for people who already own the original MHG on 3DS (who they’re clearly aiming this re-re-re-rerelease at with the save transfer feature!)

Would also be good way to help open up the Switch market for lower end, previously handheld exclusive experiences too; just like what Nintendo are doing with Sushi Striker.

Edited by Dcubed

5 hours ago, Dcubed said:

I was just thinking... I wonder if there’s a chance that this might be a budget price release, rather than a full Switch RRP one...

I reckon that it would make a huge difference to its chances of success and both the game and Capcom’s overall reputation amongst Switch owners if it was $39.99/$39.99/£29.99 over here in the west.  That would actually give it a solid chance of success and also make it not feel like an insulting gesture to Switch owners for getting this instead of World.

To acknowledge that it’s a 3DS level game being released on Switch and give it appropriate 3DS level pricing would make a big difference I reckon.  It would also make it a much more enticing prospect for people who already own the original MHG on 3DS (who they’re clearly aiming this re-re-re-rerelease at with the save transfer feature!)

Would also be good way to help open up the Switch market for lower end, previously handheld exclusive experiences too; just like what Nintendo are doing with Sushi Striker.

Would be good if it was a budget release, but with the way things have been going on Switch so far that doesn’t seem too likely.

Was the Japanese version cheaper?

Mentally going back an forth about picking this up, I didn't really get into Generations on 3DS so it'll feel quite fresh...but then I didn't really get into Generations, so I'm not sure that'll change. 

If we can get a good hunting group together that might sway me heavily to get it, as I'll be keen to get high up the HR ranks more than the solo play which I found boring after awhile on 3DS.

• Thanks 1