NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

Ikaruga Heads To Switch

Day 1! 

EDIT: Game will be $14.99 in the US and it will support vertical mode.

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

*sips a mouthful of tea while refreshing the forum*

*sees thread* "Ikaruga Heads to Switch"

*almost chokes on tea*

I aint even mad. :D

• Haha 6

Fantastic news! Been ages since I've played this (Probably on my not so legitimate Dreamcast copy) so definitely up for jumping into this again, and at a decent price too. Hopefully I can finally get passed the 3rd level boss and complete the game.

• Thanks 1

*Awaits the inevitable headlines of "It's like Dark Souls" and "the Dark Souls of shooters*

• Haha 3

55 minutes ago, Ganepark32 said:

Fantastic news! Been ages since I've played this (Probably on my not so legitimate Dreamcast copy) so definitely up for jumping into this again, and at a decent price too. Hopefully I can finally get passed the 3rd level boss and complete the game.

I used to be able to make it through the first 2 stages without losing a life in the Gamecube version but I only ever beat the game completely after I unlocked the ability to have infinite continues.

I'm definitely in for this :yay:

Edited by nekunando
  • Thanks 1

It's Nicalis so it probably won't be released on the EU eShop.

• Haha 1

Hard pass. I am awful at shmups and even worse at Bullet Hell. It’s nice to see the game getting more love though I suppose. Maybe It’ll Garner a sequel one day as opposed to just continued rereleases. Also maybe Radiant Silvergun might get a release for this gen as well. Both games hit the 360 so why not. 

It's a good game, but as it is with basically every Shmup: there's little skill involved. If you put in the time to memorize enemy and bullet patterns it's really easy, since they never change.

A game to buy when it's on sale on the PSN store, maybe.

Edited by drahkon
  • Confused 1

I had this for the Cube. Will definitely buy. I have not played it in years.

Easy? It was solid!

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Ike said:

Don't kill the dream, man.. 

• Thanks 1

"Little skill involved in Ikaruga", lol.

Can't wait to pick this up, and it'll be perfect on Switch, Nicalis confirmed a vertical mode :laughing:

Edited by Ronnie
  • Haha 1

So how are you guys playing vertical mode anyway? Use the Hori Stand or just balance the switch on your lap, or put it flat on the table?

Not too siked about this game though, but schmups are not my genre anyway.

"Little skill involved in Ikaruga", lol.
Can't wait to pick this up, and it'll be perfect on Switch, Nicalis confirmed a vertical mode :laughing:

14 minutes ago, Vileplume2000 said:

So how are you guys playing vertical mode anyway? Use the Hori Stand or just balance the switch on your lap, or put it flat on the table?

On a dedicated vertical monitor of course like everyone else. ;)

Nah, I know I've perhaps gone the extreme route recently with my setup but I think that playing the Switch in tabletop mode, on a stand, vertically will be enough for most. :smile:

But if you do have a monitor which is designed with verticality in mind with a rotating stand then, you're really in for a treat with this game. :D

I'm not saying that everyone should suddenly rush out and buy a vertical display just for Ikaruga but, if you like vertically scrolling shmups and you intend to play more in the future, then in that instance I think it's worth it personally.

There are already more than a handful of vertical shmups available just for the Switch, let alone the load that are on Steam etc. :peace:

Just for this game though, if you only intend to buy it on the Switch then I would say that Tabletop mode will be fine and that vertical with borders on a standard horizontal screen is fine for most gamers, especially if you're not that into the genre to begin with or are just unsure. :)

Interesting that Nicalis is handling this release, I hope this is the start of a long-term partnership as I really want to see Treasure come back! I miss them something fierce!

Anyway, my vertical Hori stand is ready! :D 

@Ike Thankfully they've confirmed that Europe is getting it on the same day as the US! (Cats and dogs living together, mass hysteria something something!)

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, S.C.G said:

On a dedicated vertical monitor of course like everyone else. ;)

Nah, I know I've perhaps gone the extreme route recently with my setup but I think that playing the Switch in tabletop mode, on a stand, vertically will be enough for most. :smile:

But if you do have a monitor which is designed with verticality in mind with a rotating stand then, you're really in for a treat with this game. :D

I'm not saying that everyone should suddenly rush out and buy a vertical display just for Ikaruga but, if you like vertically scrolling shmups and you intend to play more in the future, then in that instance I think it's worth it personally.

There are already more than a handful of vertical shmups available just for the Switch, let alone the load that are on Steam etc. :peace:

Just for this game though, if you only intend to buy it on the Switch then I would say that Tabletop mode will be fine and that vertical with borders on a standard horizontal screen is fine for most gamers, especially if you're not that into the genre to begin with or are just unsure. :)

I got a monitor at work that can go vertical, might need to bring my Switch to work sometimes. :D

What makes this game stand out so much compared to other shmups by the way? Seeing so many positive reactions on this one makes me wonder.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Vileplume2000 said:

I got a monitor at work that can go vertical, might need to bring my Switch to work sometimes. :D

What makes this game stand out so much compared to other shmups by the way? Seeing so many positive reactions on this one makes me wonder.

It's basically the first one I ever bought and I loved changing polarity and learning the enemy patterns. I was never in it for the high scores, just the enjoyment of playing and getting better :hehe:

I remember picking it up for around £10 in GAME all those years ago and my friend saying 'The great thing about that is there's probably hundreds of levels' and I'm like 'Pretty sure there's only five..' :grin:

If anyone really must play it 'vertically', you could always lay sideways on your sofa and have it play horizontally along your TV (but obviously vertically from the way you're viewing it)

I'll be content with the standard view, myself :heh:

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, S.C.G said:

Combined with the pinball games I can definitely see some merit in that.

I'm definitely not getting this at launch, I got the GameCube release back in the day. It's only one of 2 shoot 'm ups I own physically.

Don't have any shoot 'm ups currently on my Switch actually, but I'll get a few of them eventually, with this now being a prime candidate.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Vileplume2000 said:

Lying in my bed with my head on my pillow. TV Vertical Horizontal mode.

That's how I'd do it if I actually liked these kind of games.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Dcubed said:

@Ike Thankfully they've confirmed that Europe is getting it on the same day as the US! (Cats and dogs living together, mass hysteria something something!)

Ah, good. Wasn't going to get my hopes up just incase.

Its a bit random that this is being released. I wonder why.

Is it a straight port from the Cube version? 

11 minutes ago, Blade said:

Its a bit random that this is being released. I wonder why.

Is it a straight port from the Cube version? 

It's almost certainly a port of the more recent PC release.

I think for the Switch, it will be pretty amazing to see Ikargua running on it, especially in portable mode.

This will also open up the floodgates for PS4 and Xbox One versions most likely, as it has already been trademarked for PS4 which is pretty huge as that would make it the Playstation debut, because it has already appeared on Xbox Live Arcade which featured online co-op (unfortunately too lag-ridden to be useful) and of course as you mentioned, we've had Ikargua on a Nintendo platform once before on the GameCube, which was a huge deal at the time and it even featured an exclusive training mode.

Of course there was also the Dreamcast version which released in Japan only because the original arcade Ikaruga was developed on Naomi hardware, I have played it... this was my first original exposure to Ikaruga, I loved it at the time but didn't fully appreciate it until that all-important GC release which was life-changing in terms of shaping my taste in videogames. :cool:

I still can't believe I traded in my GameCube version of this. Also, I don't believe I ever made it beyond stage 3. :laughing:

On 06/05/2018 at 10:17 PM, FalcoLombardi said:

I still can't believe I traded in my GameCube version of this. Also, I don't believe I ever made it beyond stage 3. :laughing:

I traded it in too. No idea why. 

Played for about an hour last night. I remember the stages and how I struggled through. 

Its hard as nails this game.

• Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this