NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

Dragalia Lost (Mobile) & Cygames’ partnership with Nintendo

This is pretty big news.

Nintendo are working with Cygames on an all-new IP: Dragalia Lost

Cygames is a relatively new gaming studio, founded by CyberAgent - a Japanese web services company - in 2011, but has since taken the Japanese mobile gaming space by storm with games like Shadowverse and Granblue Fantasy, another mobile RPG, which is their biggest success to date. They are inarguably one of - if not the - biggest developers in mobile gaming, so this is an intriguing move by Nintendo.

Granblue Fantasy is most well known for having reunited legendary composer Nobuo Uematsu with just-as-legendary art director Hideo Minaba, who had previously worked together on Final Fantasy V, Final Fantasy VI, Final Fantasy IX and Lost Odyssey. And, luckily for us, the duo will unite once again for Dragalia Lost

This is just another one of many big announcements for the studio - 24% of which is owned by DeNA - in recent times, with a number of AAA home console projects already revealed to be in the works, most noticeably including the action-RPG Granblue Fantasy: Project Re: Link (working title), which is in development by Platinum Games, and will again feature a score by Nobuo Uematsu.

Dragalia Lost is scheduled for release this summer, and is expected to be released for all mobile platforms. The game will first release in Japan, before making its way to the West. 

Smart move.  CyGames are basically the big cheese of Japanese mobile games right now; though it looks so generic that you honestly wouldn't know that Nintendo were involved unless you told me :laughing:

I'm assuming that they're handling backend stuff & localisation more than anything else.

6 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Smart move.  CyGames are basically the big cheese of Japanese mobile games right now; though it looks so generic that you honestly wouldn't know that Nintendo were involved unless you told me :laughing:

I'm assuming that they're handling backend stuff & localisation more than anything else.

Yeah, it does look a bit on the generic side. I have to admit, it looks like the sort of game that would be perfect for 3DS - actually, that’s exactly what I thought it was until I realised that Cygames was involved and I decided to do some more research! :D 

And yeah, I think you’re right there. I think Nintendo probably found out about it and offered to partner with them to get it overseas, which would be smart.

It seems like something that could be fun to dip in and out of if you haven’t got your 3DS/Switch on you while travelling, so it’ll be interesting to see how it performs in the West. Compared to other similar mobile games, I think that the inclusion of the Nintendo logo will be of huge benefit in ensuring the quality of the game to most consumers. 

A Direct airs tomorrow morning at 4.30 AM (UK) and contains information about the game. It will be out on September 27th in both Japan and US so no reason that it shouldn't be out in Europe as well.

• Like 1

content-4-35607-dragalialostmobiledirectbanner.jpg

Here's N-E's roundup of the Direct with the usual PR info and the video if you want to watch or rewatch it.

:peace:

• Thanks 1

Nothing about a European release? Seems a bit weird that both US and Japan get it on September 27th while there is no word of a European release.

16 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

Nothing about a European release? Seems a bit weird that both US and Japan get it on September 27th while there is no word of a European release.

They've said it's an extremely text-heavy game - and with plenty of voiced dialogue, too - so maybe they need some more time for European localization? As said in the first post, the US wasn't even meant to be among the first countries to get it originally. Or maybe they're worried about server load?

Well, whatever the reason is, I hope Europe won't be too far behind, because pretty much everything about this game looks right up my alley!

On one of Nintendo's briefing slides it mentions that the game is finally being released in other English speaking countries such as the UK, Australia and Canada. However, there was no mention of an actual release date.

Does anyone still care at this point?

Pathetic how long it is taken them to get it out over here.  All the hype is no doubt dead and buried now.

• Thanks 1

Just been checking this out, the presentation is absolutely incredible for a F2P mobile game! :o Gorgeous visuals and high quality audio, very slick stuff. :cool: 

Although it’s impossible for me to unhear Material Girl on the quest selection screen music. :heh: I also like how they incorporated the Switch finger snap sound effect, nice bit of subliminal advertising there. :laughing:

Game is kinda confusing though, too many different currencies and systems going on for my liking. :hmm: 

Will stick with it for a while anyway, I’m guessing everything will click after a bit more playtime.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Does anyone still care at this point?

I doubt Nintendo and Cygames are that bothered about being late to the party over here seeing as the game is already raking in the money. It's already surpassed the money that Super Mario Run and Animal Crossing Pocket Camp made and that was with the game being released in just 5 countries.

It saddens me to see Nintendo go down this road. I know the mobile market is a different beast ( hence why Mario done so poorly ) but it's still hard to get my head around that they are quite happy to support things like microtransactions and gacha mechanics in games. Sad times. Business is business, I suppose. :( 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I doubt Nintendo and Cygames are that bothered about being late to the party over here seeing as the game is already raking in the money. It's already surpassed the money that Super Mario Run and Animal Crossing Pocket Camp made and that was with the game being released in just 5 countries.

It saddens me to see Nintendo go down this road. I know the mobile market is a different beast ( hence why Mario done so poorly ) but it's still hard to get my head around that they are quite happy to support things like microtransactions and gacha mechanics in games. Sad times. Business is business, I suppose. :( 

It still amazes me how Super Mario Run has been the least successful mobile title for them, maybe because it's the only game that I actually spent money on. :heh:

But yeah, it's just crazy how people were so reluctant to purchase an actual game, but completely hyper to buy random stuff (that isn't even necessary) in Fire Emblem. ::shrug: And from what I've played of Dragalia Lost so far, it looks like exactly the same story here... Spend money to purchase different characters and dragons etc. but none of it seems required to actually play the game. There's a stamina meter which depletes when you do a stage (that I assume is also tied to MTX) but I haven't got anywhere near to it running out completely and doubt that I'll ever play this for long enough (in a single session) for it to do so.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry about Nintendo going down this road for now, don't think they're planning on doing a Konami just yet. :hehe:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RedShell said:

But yeah, it's just crazy how people were so reluctant to purchase an actual game,

I think it's only going to get worse if free to play games continue to get more popular and (non Nintendo) AAA games continue to plummet in price a month or two after release.

39 minutes ago, RedShell said:

It still amazes me how Super Mario Run has been the least successful mobile title for them, maybe because it's the only game that I actually spent money on. :heh:

Wasn't Mario a one time payment though?

1 hour ago, Ike said:

Wasn't Mario a one time payment though?

Yeah. Think it was around 7 quid back when it came out, and is currently £9.99.

It's more expensive now because Apple raised the prices of the whole App store since it released I think.

43 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

It's more expensive now because Apple raised the prices of the whole App store since it released I think.

Yeah, everything on the App Store increased in price a while back.

SMR is definitely worth a tenner though, I got many hours of entertainment out of it (collecting all the coins was very challenging) and occasionally still go back for some Remix 10 too. :hehe: 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, RedShell said:

Yeah, everything on the App Store increased in price a while back.

SMR is definitely worth a tenner though, I got many hours of entertainment out of it (collecting all the coins was very challenging) and occasionally still go back for some Remix 10 too. :hehe: 

I agree about how it was worth the money.  The issue is getting those ‘casual’ users to understand that a mobile game will be worth spending £10 on when they’re used to wither free games, or spending just a pound or two (regardless of the quality).  We’re still sadly at a stage in mobile gaming where the quality of a game doesn’t seem to be as important to the majority as advertising, graphics & price.

...aaaaaaand it's being put down. 

Don't think it ever took off in the way Nintendo and Cygames had hoped, so not very surprising. 

Never got around to checking this one out (having tried and deleted the Mario, Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing phone games plus Pokémon Go which I'm still in a Whatsapp group for...) but it did look the most appealing of Nintendo's phone offerings I thought. Might be cool if they could find a way to repurpose it into a proper Switch release.

The stupid decision to never release the game in mainland Europe meant I never had a chance to play the game myself, despite being excited about it. But I did appreciate it from afar by watching playthroughs of the story content and checking out all the beautiful art and music, so I'm still quite sad to see it go. At least they get to wrap up the main story though, it'd be even worse if it was left completely unfinished like so many other shut-down gacha games.

...Well, honestly I probably would have dropped the game myself at the second anniversary if I did play it myself; that's right around when Genshin released, and I know from prior experience that I can't handle more than three gachas at a time.

• Sad 1

Mario Kart Tour is next...

Hopefully this spells the end for Nintendo's mobile initiative.  No more will we have valuable Nintendo staff wasted on this junk! :D

Edited by Dcubed

Mario Kart Tour is next...
Hopefully this spells the end for Nintendo's mobile initiative.  No more will we have valuable Nintendo staff wasted on this junk!
What gives you that idea? Mario Kart world tour generated $200M revenue as of last April. No way they're going to leave this kind of money on the table by dropping mobile altogether.

Sign in to follow this