NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Rummy

Switch hardware/potential Tegra vulnerability means all current systems potentially open to hack

So apparently the Switch has just had a rather large major hack - is ROM related and thus apparently unpatchable on anything shipped so far; not sure the whole stories/news etc. but linking an article with some more info.

http://www.alphr.com/games/1009172/nintendo-switch-hack

Please be mindful that whilst something like this may have any manner of implications; we do not encourage forms of emulation or piracy, and cannot condone discussion of this.

• Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, Rummy said:

So apparently the Switch has just had a rather large major hack - is ROM related and thus apparently unpatchable on anything shipped so far; not sure the whole stories/news etc. but linking an article with some more info.

http://www.alphr.com/games/1009172/nintendo-switch-hack

Please be mindful that whilst something like this may have any manner of implications; we do not encourage forms of emulation or piracy, and cannot condone discussion of this.

I’m guessing this is why there were talks about Nvidia working on a new SoC a few months back? From everything I’m reading about this, it seems Nintendo did a decent job on their end this time around with regards to the OS, so I wonder if this could potentially tarnish their relationship with Nvidia beyond the Switch?

Nintendo really need to get a shift on with announcing back-up saving and Virtual Console now. If they leave it too long, they’ll have over 20 million units in the wild, with many being sold on at a considerably marked up price for features/games we really should have learned more about last year. 

Edited by Julius Caesar
  • Like 1

It's interesting that it appears it could be that Tegra dropped the ball on this; but I don't know if it's just them or a unique combination of hardware or what tbh. Bit sucky for Nintendo if they did their own due diligence; but I'm reckoning this'll blow the current Switch market a bit open; and I'll hoonestly expect a notable spike in sales and demand for what's on the shelf right now.

I feel bad for Ninty if this is basically Nvidia's fault given they've always been rife for piracy - but at the same time if it happens it happens, and if NVidia are to blame at least hopefully they can get some recompense maybe depending on agreements?

If anyone has a switch to sell in the meantime tho...

Sign in to follow this