NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Dcubed

Shenmue 1&2 HD (PC/PS4/Xbox One)

Finally!

Coming out in 2018.  Will include both English and Japanese voiceovers as well as an option to choose between modern or classic controls!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Mentioned this in the other thread, but seeing as this is a pre-E3 announcement, I’d have to guess that we’ll get this in Q3 — I’d guess July or August? 

Also, obligatory Huber:

And awesome box art:

SHENMUE1_2_PS4_2DPACK_WEB_US.jpeg

Edited by Julius Caesar
  • Thanks 1

What.. but? You mean... they finally announced it! Hell yes! :D

1 minute ago, Mandalore said:

It's looking really dated, I wonder why they didn't redo it Yakuza Kiwami style?

While it would have been great to see a remake, I think it’s especially important with games like this that the original version of the game is preserved. I also think that a remake would risk confusing matters, too: a fully funded remake by SEGA of Shenmue I & II would almost certainly overshadow Shenmue III in every way imaginable, not to mention that remakes not spearheaded by Yu Suzuki seems incredibly risky when it comes to a franchise born of his mind.

To do it in a Yakuza-style would feel almost wrong to me, because Yakuza is an evolution from Shenmue in many ways. I think it also reflects just where SEGA is now compared to when these games were first given the go-ahead: being on the bleeding edge of technology is no longer their prime focus. 

Another reason might be that the original game almost certainly never made its money back, and a remaster (as opposed to a ground-up remake) would cost much less to do and there be less of a financial risk for SEGA to commission. It could also serve to drive down prices of the Dreamcast versions of the games (and Xbox for II). 

I would like it looking all graphical and new, but for the sake of expediency I wouldn't mind if they only did the basic updates and focused on the gameplay/technical side was modernised (i.e. no more framerate issues, slow loading etc).

Weirdly I still remember the day I got Shenmue II.  Went out shopping in Birmingham and was sat on the train waiting to go home and an announcement came on saying "sorry for the late running of this service, we currently do not have a driver" so I got off and wandered round the The Pallasades and saw it in GameStation and picked it up.

You can tell how old that story is because The Pallasades, GameStation and trains from Birmingham New Street to my hometown no longer exist.  And the Dreamcast I guess :p 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have fond memories of picking up my original Dreamcast copies of both games, in second-hand shop, £5 a piece and I think I even haggled down to £8 for the two. :p

So when the Dreamcast was on its way out in 2003 I guess, I got both Shenmue 1&2 for £4...

...fast-forward fifteen years to 2018 and I'm fully prepared to pay £40 for the two on the PS4, so I guess it evens out. :D

Huber needs to start campaigning for Wave Race!

I fear that the original Shenmue games may not have aged very well and could ruin some great memories for some but I think I'm in :grin:

Woooooooo! :D

I'm still tempted to play it on the original hardware in the future (but honestly, I probably won't now as this will do now), but I'm delighted with this. 

33 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

Woooooooo! :D

I'm still tempted to play it on the original hardware in the future (but honestly, I probably won't now as this will do now), but I'm delighted with this. 

Have you ever held a Dreamcast controller for hours at a time? Be glad to play it on non original hardware. 

Edited by Nolan

Just now, Nolan said:

Have you ever held a Dreamcast controller for hours at a time? Be glad to play it on non original hardware. 

Never found it all that uncomfortable personally.

2 minutes ago, Nolan said:

Never had a real problem with it. Definitely not back in the day and not when I dug mine out about a year or so ago. Seemed fine to me. The controller isn't especially ergonomic, but it's not a bad controller.

You’re all on crack. Working the triggers literally makes my tendons hurts after a little while. 

I tend to have more trouble with wider controllers/handhelds. Things like the Wii U tablet and the Vita always left my hands cramped.

10 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I tend to have more trouble with wider controllers/handhelds. Things like the Wii U tablet and the Vita always left my hands cramped.

I've never particularly enjoyed handheld consoles. I get headaches after a while and my hands eventually cramp up. 

No problems with the Dreamcast controller. Didn't find the SNES controller too comfortable, tbh. 

Just now, Ashley said:

What do they mean by "modern controls"?

Shenmue used tank controls so I'm assuming the movement is a lot more fluid and you'll be able to look around easier.

1 minute ago, Happenstance said:

Shenmue used tank controls so I'm assuming the movement is a lot more fluid and you'll be able to look around easier.

Oh right...I'd forgotten about that.  Is that the only thing?

Apparently the game is a budget release, costing just $30 over in the US.

Also...

The port will also have

-Timeskip feature
-Updated user interface
-Fully scalable screen resolutions

The worst thing about the original entries these days are the load times and the sound of the disc being read (on Dreamcast at least) and you'd think they wouldn't be a factor with the remasters considering everything is read from hard drive these days. 

I couldn't be more excited for the re-releasing, at the moment I'm definitely picking it up on PS4 but hoping for a Switch version at some point down the line. 

The official Shenmue I & II website is now up. It’s pretty empty for now.

The Steam page is also up, but does not yet state the price of the game.

2 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Apparently the game is a budget release, costing just $30 over in the US.

I wouldn’t find that too surprising, considering that Shadow of the Colossus was also a $30 release over there, if memory serves correctly. At $15/£15 a pop each (at RRP, at least), I’d have to assume that this would somewhat aggressively lower the valuations online of the original versions of the games?

The collection has been confirmed to cost $29.99 USD (so it will likely have an RRP of £25 over here in the UK). It has also been revealed that the game is being worked on by SEGA in some form of partnership with d3t; the games will feature achievements across all platforms. 

This was revealed by Adam Koralik, who was invited to Japan for FES by SEGA, and had the opportunity to play the remaster.

• Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this