NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Dcubed

Shenmue 1&2 HD (PC/PS4/Xbox One)

2 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Gotta love the internet age. So if you buy the game and are unable to download the update for whatever reason then the game is a bit of a mess? Great.

Man, that sucks. I’m personally still trying to figure out if I’m going to pick it up now as opposed to a month or so before III is released, because although I really do want to play Shenmue, I’d like to play them back-to-back. With Spider-Man releasing just two and a half weeks after Shenmue, I just don’t know if I’ve got the time to do that, so I think I might be better off trying to play a different game for that window and picking it up later on. Decisions, decisions :confused:

I’m sure that there are plenty of others like me who haven’t played the game before and will be checking this out because of the buzz around the games in recent years, and of course it’s original critical acclaim; for me, I’m just loving the vibes I’m getting from them, and the music from the games that I’ve listened to is simply beautiful. 

But back to the topic at hand: sure, the update will be accessible and easy to download, but it is worrying that some might have their first experience with the series be either an unexpected download, or, perhaps even more concerning, running into problems with a twenty year old game because they’ve unknowingly avoided patching the game. It’s definitely not the best position for SEGA to be in. 

Edited by Julius Caesar
  • Thanks 2

There's a whole supply chain issue too (printing, delivery, retail etc) that has a huge cost, even just to delay it for a few weeks. Without day one patches we'd suffer a lot more delays and companies would lose a lot more money (from the above and maybe contractual issues). 

• Like 1

Someone over on playstation trophies has roughly translated the list from the French version of Shenmue 1 and that has it's own platinum so each of the game may actually have 1 each.

Spoiler

A Well Filled Shelf (Platinum)
You Got All The Trophies Well Done!

A Needle In A Haystack (Silver)
Find Charlie In A Tattoo Parlor

Mirror, My Beautiful Mirior (Silver)
Get The Letter From Yuanda Zhu

Step By Step (Silver)
Reach New Yokosuka Harbor

Break (Silver)
Return To Warhouse 8 And Meet Master Chen

Blindly (Silver)
Fing The Mirror Of The Phenix In The Basement Of The Hazuki Residence 

Work Is Health (Silver)
Find A Job At The Port

Fallen Angels (Silver)
Save Nozomi From The Mad Angels

Jerks Off (Gold)
Beat 70 Men With Bare Hands

(Something)... Cart (Gold)
Beat Chai At The Port

Next Stop Hong Kong (Gold)
Complete The Game

Good Reflexes (Silver)
Call The Police At The Beginning Of The Game

The Good Times (Silver)
Find The Memory In The Yard

Delicious Meal (Silver)
Find The Memory In The Kitchen

Friends For Life (Silver)
Find The Memory In The Dojo

Training Is The Key To Success (Silver)
Practice Kung Fu In The Dojo

Boy-Scout (Silver)
Help The Old Lady Find A House

Profiteer (Silver)
Buy A Soda To Quench The Thirst For Guanji Wang

It's Worth What It's Worth (Silver)
Bring The Phenix Mirror To The Two Antique Dealers

Cat Thief (Silver)
Find Megumi's Kitten When It Disappears

Technical Hair (Silver)
Learn A Technique From Tom At The Hot Dog Stand

The Darling Of Mark (?!?) (Gold)
Win A Forklift Race

Gotcha Galore (Bronze)
Find Your First Toy Collection

Gotcha Galore II (Bronze)
Get 25 Toy Capsules

Gotcha Galore III (Bronze)
Get 50 Toy Capsules

I Know Kung Fu (Bronze)
Learn A Fighting Technique

I Know Kung Fu Better (Bronze)
Learn Five Fighting Techniques

An Unexpected Visit (Silver)
Visit The Fortune Teller

It's Smarter Than You (Bronze)
Play Hang-On Or Space Harrier

n5XyIGQSKbF3WdyZ4UnEMsb5MGg=.gif

I can see one of those trophies being annoying enough that I'm not sure I'll be able to get it.

2 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I can see one of those trophies being annoying enough that I'm not sure I'll be able to get it.

Which one? Stick it in spoilers if it's story related, just for those who haven't played the game yet. 

Just now, Hero-of-Time said:

Which one? Stick it in spoilers if it's story related, just for those who haven't played the game yet. 

Spoiler

Winning a forklift race can be difficult. Plus you only get a certain amount of attempts at it.

1 minute ago, Happenstance said:
  Trophy (Hide contents)

Winning a forklift race can be difficult. Plus you only get a certain amount of attempts at it.

Interesting. That would make it a missable trophy then. Thanks for the heads up.

I'm just wondering if they've added some kind of free roam mode to the game for once you've finished. Maybe that could allow it to still be done. There are a few missable trophies on that list that I can see and some possible ones depending on if the situation stays around or not.

On 15/08/2018 at 10:26 AM, Julius Caesar said:

I’m personally still trying to figure out if I’m going to pick it up now as opposed to a month or so before III is released, because although I really do want to play Shenmue, I’d like to play them back-to-back. With Spider-Man releasing just two and a half weeks after Shenmue, I just don’t know if I’ve got the time to do that, so I think I might be better off trying to play a different game for that window and picking it up later on. Decisions, decisions :confused:

Well...I’ve made my mind up, and pre-ordered Shenmue I & II from Simply Games — I chose them after reading a number of positive reviews for them on here, so thanks to those that have shared their experiences with them :)

Truth is, I’m in a bit of a rough spot personally right now. I’ve been enchanted by the thought of playing these games ever since I heard about them for the first time a few years ago - don’t bite! The first game is just barely a year younger than I am! - when I really got into gaming, and delved into the atmosphere and communities that come with it.

I need a game right now where I can just become fully engrossed in someone else’s story, with beautiful music, and a bit more nuance than outright violence, even if just for a little while. I have more time to invest now than I ever have before, so I’m confident that I’ll be able to complete them before Spider-Man swings around on September 7th. 

I can’t wait :) 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Julius Caesar said:

Well...I’ve made my mind up, and pre-ordered Shenmue I & II from Simply Games — I chose them after reading a number of positive reviews for them on here, so thanks to those that have shared their experiences with them :)

Hopefully they will ship it to you early and you'll have it for Saturday. I went with Shopto myself but if I see Simply Games shipping early then I may be tempted to switch the order.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Hopefully they will ship it to you early and you'll have it for Saturday. I went with Shopto myself but if I see Simply Games shipping early then I may be tempted to switch the order.

Just received a message that it’s been despatched from Simply Games :) 

Edited by Julius Caesar

29 minutes ago, Julius Caesar said:

Just received a message that it’s been despatched from Simply Games :) 

Good stuff! Hopefully it arrives tomorrow you will get to enjoy over the weekend.

I'll probably just keep my order with Shopto as I'm on playing other stuff at the moment anyway. It'll be a nice bonus if it does ship early but I'm not sweating it.

• Like 1

The Game Collection has shipped my copy. Not that I'll be playing it any time soon.

SnSkkiQ.jpg

Just woke up and lo and behold, it is here! Comes with a nice looking double-sided poster.

Games are treated as separate entities in the PS4 menu (which looks a bit odd? You get a Shenmue I & II tab just for downloading each game, and then a separate tab for each game to actually access them - I don't know, maybe they've done it before, but it just looks a bit odd to me), so I would assume that pretty much confirms a platinum trophy for each game. For those wondering, Shenmue only requires the quick installation of an update file, whereas Shenmue II is around a 7.6 GB download.

Anyway, I guess it's time that I go see about some sailors? :D 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The opening minutes of this game gave me goosebumps, so I can tell that I’m going to like it :D loving the music so far

However, I’m going to have to put it on hold for now, because I think I’ve found the reason for the patch (I’m going to assume that the update file that installed was not it). When walking around, I interacted with a few items and areas, which resulted in a cutscene, and the first two or three of these worked fine. However, upon entering the dojo and triggering another cutscene, as well as when running into Megumi after getting away from the Hazuki Residence, the cutscenes/on-screen presentations of the interactions just didn’t work. The audio still functioned fine, but I was treated with flesh-coloured strips one time, and a closer look at the item that I most recently interacted with (which was elsewhere in the room, and didn’t initiate the cutscene itself) the second. 

Kind of sucks, and puts a little bit of a damper on my first play session with Shenmue, especially since I was hoping to just play it for the rest of the day. Seems like massive oversight on SEGA’s behalf, and I’m not quite sure how you wouldn’t find these problems if the game was properly vetted — which does concern me a little. I have to wonder if it’s a problem with every copy of the game, or a problem with an unlucky few? It might be fine for some, but I’m finding it difficult to enjoy these interactions when, well...I can’t see them ::shrug:

I’m only half an hour or so in at the moment, so I’ll restart when the patch becomes available (I would assume on Tuesday?). In a more positive light, I’m pleasantly surprised that I’ve already got four silver trophies from my limited time with the game (I turned off trophy notifications, and don’t really go out of my way to get trophies, especially on a first playthrough of a game like this), and I think it’s great that they’re rewarding player intuition in this regard.

My first impression of the game itself, that glaring technical issue aside, is a good one, and I can’t wait to get back into it. Oh well, back to another game for now, I guess?

Edited by Julius Caesar

Dk4NOEFXoAAlwdV?format=jpg

:bouncy:

Visuals look nice and clean but the audio quality is absolutely shocking. It sounds VERY rough.

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Viduals look nice and clean but the audio quality is absolutely shocking. It sounds VERY rough.

Yeah, that’s actually something I noticed too. Sounds like they were very close to the mic when recording. 

I’m curious if you’re encountering any of the technical issues that I am? I might try to stick it out anyway, but I’m a bit worried that it might have an effect on the majority of the cutscenes, which I imagine would tarnish anyone’s view of the game. 

Edited by Julius Caesar

Nah, I've not experienced any tech issues outside of the awful audio. I've only put 10 mins into it though as I wanted to watch the footy.

I see the trophies aren't actually live on PSN yet. I've earned a few but can't sync them yet.

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Visuals look nice and clean but the audio quality is absolutely shocking. It sounds VERY rough.

So... exactly like the original then :laughing:

22 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

So... exactly like the original then :laughing:

Unfortunately. :( I was hoping they were going to clean it up for this release but they haven't or maybe can't? It sounds terrible by todays standards.

Sign in to follow this