NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

Sega Ages (Summer M2)

Sega-Ages-Switch-Init_04-13-18.jpg

Over 15 classic Sega titles will be released on the Switch eShop starting in the Summer.

M2, who also done the 3DS classic Sega games, will be handling this.

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Thanks 5

Great to see that we’re (kinda) getting Virtual Console back on the SEGA side!

A shame that it naturally won’t include any 3rd party titles, but it’s at least a start!

Hopefully it won’t be limited to just Mega Drive titles.

Bless you M2! :bowdown:

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Hopefully it won’t be limited to just Mega Drive titles.

Bless you M2! :bowdown:

Phantasy Star is in the pic, so we are at least getting both Master System and Mega Drive games.

• Thanks 1

Looks like we're getting arcade titles too! :D 

I guess that this is basically a direct continuation of their 3D Classics series, just... you know... without the 3D.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

I really hope they use the Android version of Sonic as a basis for this one.

Interesting that they are doing all this stuff as well as the new Mega Drive mini. One of the theories for the lack of VC on Nintendo's end that we keep seeing thrown around is that they dont want to cut into the sales of the mini consoles. Could be complete bullshit of course but its just interesting to see Sega trying it both ways.

22 minutes ago, Cube said:

They won't.  It'll be a direct port of the 3DS version, guaranteed.  And that's absolutely fine, because it's a superb package on 3DS!

52 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Interesting that they are doing all this stuff as well as the new Mega Drive mini. One of the theories for the lack of VC on Nintendo's end that we keep seeing thrown around is that they dont want to cut into the sales of the mini consoles. Could be complete bullshit of course but its just interesting to see Sega trying it both ways.

I have to wonder if third parties going out of their way to bring us collections like these means that whatever Nintendo’s plans are for Virtual Console on Switch, or whatever form their back catalogue may take, means that they’re not in on it and Nintendo are aiming for a first-party centric(/only) service?

Edited by Julius Caesar

1 hour ago, Cube said:

I don't know why they never released those outside of phones. I'd have bought Sonic 1, 2, 3&K again if the updated versions came to consoles like Sonic CD did. Absolutely no interest in buying the original roms again.

If I really narrowed it down, the only Mega Drive game I might re-buy is Streets of Rage 2.  And Bare Knuckle 3, but I've never owned that.

What I'm really hoping for is the 16- and 32-bit arcade games.  Both Golden Axe coin-ops please!

The Wii Virtual Console gave me the chance to finally play Streets of Rage 3 having only ever experienced the first two growing up.. and it was a huge disappointment!

1 minute ago, nekunando said:

The Wii Virtual Console gave me the chance to finally play Streets of Rage 3 having only ever experienced the first two growing up.. and it was a huge disappointment!

Yes, but the Japanese version is meant to be much better.  There were some very strange choices when localising it.

Kinda hoping M2 include the original and the Generations remake that was released on PS2 of Phantasy Star if they can.

PSGeneration1_title.png

I'd be happy if they just included some of the enhancements from the Complete Collection (options to speed up walking, I think earn more Meseta as well).

• Thanks 2

Man, if those borders are mandatory. @Dcubed will throw a fit. Which makes me kinda want them not to be toggable.

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Ike said:

Kinda hoping M2 include the original and the Generations remake that was released on PS2 of Phantasy Star if they can.

PSGeneration1_title.png

I'd be happy if they just included some of the enhancements from the Complete Collection (options to speed up walking, I think earn more Meseta as well).

Oh Ike...

https://www.resetera.com/threads/sega-ages-coming-to-switch-by-m2-eshop-15-classic-titles-starting-this-summer.36107/page-8#post-6779064
The Nintendo Switch SEGA Ages version of Sonic the Hedgehog will feature the obscure Mega Play arcade version!
The Nintendo Switch SEGA Ages version of Thunder Force IV will include the Styx Mode from the SEGA Saturn port of the game and will feature online leaderboards!
The Nintendo Switch SEGA Ages version of Phantasy Star will feature the features from the PlayStation 2 SEGA Ages version such as options for walk speed, difficulty settings, FM/PSG toggle, a hiragana mode and saving.

... you got your wish!

Also, Alex Kidd in Miracle World and Gain Ground have been announced for this wave of games.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Oh Ike...

... you got your wish!

Hah, that makes a change. :heh: I had faith in M2 though.

Here are a few more details about this whole thing. Stolen from Era.

They decided after doing the last 3D Classics wave, it would be a waste to just leave it there.

Alex Kidd was chosen because of how popular he was on the Virtual Console in Europe...it's likely they will continue to use data like that for deciding future releases.

Gain Ground won't be the only arcade release. There will be more.

15 Titles is the start depending how well it goes they will do more.

There will be Saturn and Dreamcast titles in the future as well (as part of the first 15 titles? Not sure)

Rieko Kodama is a producer on the new Sega Ages project...

Getting Saturn and Dreamcast games on the Switch would be absolute heaven.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Here are a few more details about this whole thing. Stolen from Era.

That would be GREAT news :hehe:

I bought quite a few of the 3D Classics on 3DS but would almost certainly buy games like Streets of Rage and Sonic again on Switch!

If they bring over Burning Rangers, I'm gonna be so mad.

Not really.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I do wish they'd start releasing them on other consoles/PC as well

1 minute ago, Happenstance said:

I do wish they'd start releasing them on other consoles/PC as well

I just want them on any console. They need to start tapping into that part of their history. I'm getting tired of playing the same old Mega Drive games over and over again.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I just want them on any console. They need to start tapping into that part of their history. I'm getting tired of playing the same old Mega Drive games over and over again.

Just thinking there now that we'll maybe get that Chu Chu Rocket port we were all hoping for the other day :grin:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, nekunando said:

Just thinking there now that we'll maybe get that Chu Chu Rocket port we were all hoping for the other day :grin:

If they do, it should be given away for Free with the purchase of other Sega Ages titles, just like they did when you bought a Dreamcast back in the day. ;)

Or do a "collection" featuring the Dreamcast and GBA versions. :D

Sign in to follow this