NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

Sega Ages (Summer M2)

On 8/12/2019 at 10:55 AM, RedShell said:

Thanks for the heads up. Yeah, that was very interesting indeed! :cool: I wasn't familiar with Tant-R before now, but having seen it in that video (and some others on YouTube) there's absolutely no doubt in my mind that it heavily inspired WarioWare. Hell, some of the games are pretty much a direct copy! :D

I'd love to play that at some point. Would be great if it made it to Switch as part of the Sega Ages series. :)

Ask and ye shall receive!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Ask and ye shall receive!

Oh nice! :) 

Looks like that’ll be my next Sega Ages purchase then, if indeed it makes it to Europe.

• Thanks 1

The next two Sega Ages releases are heading to the NA & EU eShops this month.

Heading to the West for the first time, Ichidant-R pushes the limits of your brain as you hunt for hidden vampires, conduct an orchestra, shoot down UFOs, and much more across 20 wildly varied mini-games that can be enjoyed locally or online! Mega Drive Mode adds in an RPG-like Quest Mode, a unique Competitive Mode designed as a board game for up to four players, and a point-based Free Mode (Note: Mega Drive Mode is presented with Japanese text only).

Another title that was previously released only in Japan, Columns II takes everything fans know and love about the original and dramatically increases the value. Not only is there an online versus mode, a Stage Select feature, and a tabletop mode that rotates Player 2’s screen 180 degrees for face-to-face battles, but the original Genesis version of Columns comes bundled in! There’s even an Infinite Jewels mode that lets you play virtually forever.

About Ichidant-R

Originally released for Japanese arcades back in 1994, this unique spin-off from the Bonanza Bros. features a compilation of wacky mini-games that require sharp thinking and quick reflexes, all set in a fantasy medieval backdrop where you must save a princess from the Demon King. Experience “puzzle and action” in this definitive party game.

About Columns II

Match jewels, fossils, and disks as you take a voyage through time in the second installment of this fun and exciting puzzle series. Control the falling pieces and aim for three-in-a-row in any direction to clear the screen before they stack to the top. Switch between multiple game modes, like “Flash Columns” where you target flashing jewels and unlock secret Jewel Case characters, or “Versus Columns” that pits friends against one another.

• Thanks 4

Good timing! What with the first game (Tant R) being included on the MD Mini!

Looking forward to it :) 

• Like 1

On 21/08/2019 at 10:12 AM, RedShell said:

Oh nice! :) 

Looks like that’ll be my next Sega Ages purchase then, if indeed it makes it to Europe.

You got something as obscure as that, and I can't even get Golden Axe. :p

• Haha 4

46 minutes ago, Grazza said:

You got something as obscure as that, and I can't even get Golden Axe. :p

To be fair, fans would likely riot if they wasted another SEGA AGES slot on a game that they've re-released at least 3 dozen times.

We don't need any more delays before getting to the obscure, the arcade, the Saturn and the Dreamcast games!

3 hours ago, Dcubed said:

To be fair, fans would likely riot if they wasted another SEGA AGES slot on a game that they've re-released at least 3 dozen times.

They'd be very misguided then, as they haven't released the coin-op many times. :p They made it available for Wii but, to my knowledge, have not done so since.

• Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Grazza said:

They'd be very misguided then, as they haven't released the coin-op many times. :p They made it available for Wii but, to my knowledge, have not done so since.

Yup.  The original System 16 version has only ever been re-released twice.  Once on the Wii VC and once on 360 (as part of the SEGA Vintage Collection).

Still, people pissed and whined about getting Gain Ground, despite it literally being the first time that the original System 24 version had ever been re-released; so I can only imagine people's reactions about getting Golden Axe :p 

Edited by Dcubed

To those who have gotten the Sonic the Hedgehog AGES release for the Switch... what are the main differences between the Japanese and "International" releases? I take it the original slow PAL version isn't included?

1 hour ago, Jonnas said:

To those who have gotten the Sonic the Hedgehog AGES release for the Switch... what are the main differences between the Japanese and "International" releases? I take it the original slow PAL version isn't included?

Something about having more parallax scrolling for the backgrounds. I think there's more stuff but I don't really know. The PAL version isn't an option though.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

49 minutes ago, Ike said:

Something about having more parallax scrolling for the backgrounds. I think there's more stuff but I don't really know. The PAL version isn't an option though.

Yeah, I figured... :hmm: I already bought it anyway (believe it or not, first non-Mega Drive version I own), just wanted to make sure.

Edited by Jonnas

14 hours ago, Jonnas said:

There's an additional paralax scrolling effect with the clouds in Green Hill Zone and an additional cool underwater ripple effect in Labyrinth Zone.

Also some very minor bug fixes.

That's it.  The US version is also completely identical to the PAL release (PAL version was never even PAL optimised, so running that version in 60hz is the same as the US version).

The SEGA AGES release is awesome though! Not only do you get an (optional) spin dash, but you also get an (optional) drop dash from Sonic Mania!  You also get the arcade Mega Play version of the game that has never been re-released before! (It has minor level design tweaks, a high score entry table, removal of all extra lives, shortened overall game length and a brutal count-down timer!)

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

The Sega Ages release of Sonic the Hedgehog 2 will now include Knuckles.

The September 2018-announced Sega Ages Sonic the Hedgehog 2 for Switch will include “Knuckles the Echidna in Sonic the Hedgehog 2,” the latest issue of Weekly Famitsu reveals.

“Knuckles the Echidna in Sonic the Hedgehog 2” is a mode that was originally playable in the original Sega Genesis release by inserting a Sonic & Knuckles cartridge on top of the Sonic the Hedgehog 2 cartridge using the platform’s “Lock-On Technology.”

As previously detailed, Sega Ages Sonic the Hedgehog 2 will also include additional actions, “Super Sonic Mode,” online rankings, and other features.

I get the feeling that the Ages line has kinda died a death at this point. There seems to be very little buzz about the games that are releasing. I'd love to see the sales figures for each of the titles. I imagine there's quite a drop off from when they first started getting released to where we are at now.

2 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

The Sega Ages release of Sonic the Hedgehog 2 will now include Knuckles.

I get the feeling that the Ages line has kinda died a death at this point. There seems to be very little buzz about the games that are releasing. I'd love to see the sales figures for each of the titles. I imagine there's quite a drop off from when they first started getting released to where we are at now.

The reason why their release rate has slowed to a crawl is because of the Mega Drive Mini and the TG16 Mini (M2 worked on both of these).  SEGA AGES got put on the back burner while M2 slogged away at working on the emulation for those two mini consoles.

Now that those two are finished, hopefully that means that M2 can carry on with SEGA AGES unabated.

I do feel that we're not going to see much of a buzz for these titles until they start on the second wave (which we already know includes Dreamcast titles).  We've been stuck on the first wave for so long now that none of these games will probably make much of a buzz anymore.

Sonic 2 & Knuckles is a nice extra, but it's sadly even more of a sign that SEGA aren't willing to kick the Hornet's nest that is the Michael Jackson estate and get Sonic 3 & Knuckles re-released...

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 3

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/52813/sonic-2-puyo-puyo-2-getting-the-sega-ages-treatment-on-switch-in-february

Sonic 2, originally released in 1992 on the Sega Genesis, features a handful of new features, most importantly to some, the drop dash move introduced in Sonic Mania. Multiple alternate modes pepper the release as well, including a Super Sonic Mode (where you play as Super Sonic throughout), a Time Trial mode with online leaderboards, and the ability to play as Knuckles without the necessity of lock-on technology.

Puyo Puyo 2 was most recently released as part of the Super Nintendo lineup on Nintendo Switch Online, though it was untranslated even in non-Japanese regions. In the Sega Ages release, Puyo Puyo 2 will get an English localization for the first time. This release is based off the arcade version from 1994 and includes two-player online battles, online rankings, a quick rewind feature, and a colorblind mode.

The trend of JPN only retro games getting official modern English localisations continues!! :D 

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

The next game has been announced.

Sega has announced the next entry in its Sega Ages range: G-LOC: Air Battle. A sequel to After Burner, this 1990 arcade release is perhaps most famous for being one of the titles that supported Sega's insane R360 arcade cabinet.

The news was revealed in this week's issue of Famitsu, along with the welcome confirmation that it would be the arcade version rather than the less-impressive Mega Drive / Genesis port. Three difficulty levels will be featured, as well as online leaderboards and a new 'Ages' mode, alongside the default 'Arcade' mode.

When G-LOC was ported to home systems back in the '90s, there wasn't a single platform that could do its Super Scaler-powered visuals justice. That didn't stop Sega from trying, of course; as well as the aforementioned 16-bit port, the game was also released on the Master System and Game Gear, while US Gold would licence it for conversion on home computers, like the Amiga and Atari ST (along with a cheeky new title, G-LOC: R360, which referenced that amazing cabinet mentioned earlier). However, the original arcade version has never been accurately ported to any home system, which makes this latest Sega Ages release all the more exciting.

• Thanks 3

I remember seeing the full, 360-degree G-LOC cabinet in arcades in the '90s and was amazed, but at the same time it wasn't particularly surprising in that era.  The 1990s were such optimistic, ambitious times.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Great to see another SEGA AGES release that has never previously gotten a proper home release before.

That’s the kind of game that the SEGA AGES series should be focusing on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SEGA have announced the end of the SEGA Ages initiative (linked article in Japanese). This means that Herzog Zwei will be the final SEGA Ages release. 

The article goes on to say that there are more M2 games which they wish to re-release in the future, and SEGA's own Rieko Doama and Kagasei Shimomura are already working hard on their next project, though it's not clear if that will be related. 

Aw, shame.

So much for Saturn and Dreamcast games, unless they intend to release them as a separate line (though I doubt that will happen).

Sign in to follow this