NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

Sega Ages (Summer M2)

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

We are really getting behind in terms of the releases in the West. It seems to be taking AGES (:p ) for the games to come out over here.

Loving the (very fitting!) new avatar you’ve got there!

Fingers crossed that the next wave brings some of those games along as well; but Virtua Racing will do just fine for now :) 

I just want Gain Ground already!! My Flip Grip is crying for it!!

• Thanks 2

In related news...

Nintendo Life found something really cool! A cancelled port of Virtua Racing for the GBA!

Looks ruddy bloody stunning for the GBA!

Damn shame that this didn't get picked up... Apparently it was just pitched too late in the GBA's life.  Real shame, it actually looks pretty far along; and actually quite a bit better than the 32X version already! Super impressive!

• Thanks 1

Oh wow! That’s really soon!

Fantastic! We’re actually gonna be caught up with Japan! :D 

More games have been announced for the Sega Ages lineup.

Arcade Shinobi
Wonder Boy in Monster Land
Fantasy Zone
G-Loc
Puzzle & Action: Tant-R 
Herzog Zwei

• Thanks 2

I'm in for Wonder Boy in Monster Land.

I believe that's the second game, right?
No-one can ever be sure with that series...

• Haha 1

Herzog Zwei is a pretty huge deal; that game has never been re-released; period! It's also the game that invented the RTS genre; without it, we would probably have never gotten the likes of Command & Conquer, Warcraft or even Pikmin!

G-Loc is also another big deal.  The arcade version has never been re-released before.  It's gonna be very interesting to see how they replicate the insane 360 degree moving cabinet! (Labo VR?)

And with that; we are officially done with Wave 1! It was only supposed to be 15 games long, so let the Dreamcast/Naomi ports commence! :D 

• Thanks 1

I need this version of Virtua Racing :D it easily surpasses the performance of both the Sega Megadrive and 32X versions that I currently own.

They've really done a good job on this release, this is as close to the original arcade version as we'll probably ever get on a home console. :peace:

• Thanks 2

Wow, so smooth and colourful!  I've resisted the Sega Ages range so far, but think I'll get this one.

Hopefully this won't have an impact on the Sega Ages line but we'll have to see...

Spoiler

Sega to reduce digital development after rocky performance last year

Operating income from games falls 33.7% to $88 million

Sega Sammy will be reducing the number of digital games it develops after the segment fell below expectations in the last financial year.

While sales were up across its game business, grossing $1.86 billion for the year, operating income was down 33.7% to $88 million.

In 2017 Sega Sammy revealed its Road to 2020 corporate strategy. Following its annual financials ending on March 31, 2019, the Japanese games giant admitted its digital games segment had fallen "significantly below the initial plan."

The company attributed this to external factors such as a stagnant environment of top ranking games and intensified competition in the domestic market, coupled with internal factors such as a slowdown of existing mainstay titles, a lack of hits, and delay of new games.

As a result, Sega reported a $17 million loss from digital games for the period. This came despite posting a 5.9% increase in sales, grossing $366.5 million for the year.

The company also noted that it had only released eight of the planned 12 games for the period. Looking ahead to next year, Sega said it will narrow down the number of titles it develops and increase focus towards games based on existing IPs.

Meanwhile, packaged games "exceeded the initial plan" despite revenue from the segment falling by 4.2% to $490.4 million. This was offset by a 26.1% increase in operating income, which reached $73.6 million for the segment.

Sega attributed this increase to global expansion, strong performance of both domestic and overseas properties, and an improvement in product quality which saw it ranked as the second-highest publisher on Metacritic for 2018.

Company-wide figures saw sales increase, but profit decline. For the financial year, Sega Sammy grossed $2.97 billion (an increase of 2.4%) and operating income of $116.7 million (a decrease of 36%).

That's from an article over at gamesindustry.biz that I found via another site while looking for other Nintendo related news to potentially post.

Anyway, I suppose only time will tell but I reckon we're more likely to see more from Sonic and less obscure stuff from Sega going forward.

On 01/05/2019 at 2:28 PM, S.C.G said:

Hopefully this won't have an impact on the Sega Ages line but we'll have to see...

Sega to Reduce Digital Development (Hide contents)

Sega to reduce digital development after rocky performance last year

Operating income from games falls 33.7% to $88 million

Sega Sammy will be reducing the number of digital games it develops after the segment fell below expectations in the last financial year.

While sales were up across its game business, grossing $1.86 billion for the year, operating income was down 33.7% to $88 million.

In 2017 Sega Sammy revealed its Road to 2020 corporate strategy. Following its annual financials ending on March 31, 2019, the Japanese games giant admitted its digital games segment had fallen "significantly below the initial plan."

The company attributed this to external factors such as a stagnant environment of top ranking games and intensified competition in the domestic market, coupled with internal factors such as a slowdown of existing mainstay titles, a lack of hits, and delay of new games.

As a result, Sega reported a $17 million loss from digital games for the period. This came despite posting a 5.9% increase in sales, grossing $366.5 million for the year.

The company also noted that it had only released eight of the planned 12 games for the period. Looking ahead to next year, Sega said it will narrow down the number of titles it develops and increase focus towards games based on existing IPs.

Meanwhile, packaged games "exceeded the initial plan" despite revenue from the segment falling by 4.2% to $490.4 million. This was offset by a 26.1% increase in operating income, which reached $73.6 million for the segment.

Sega attributed this increase to global expansion, strong performance of both domestic and overseas properties, and an improvement in product quality which saw it ranked as the second-highest publisher on Metacritic for 2018.

Company-wide figures saw sales increase, but profit decline. For the financial year, Sega Sammy grossed $2.97 billion (an increase of 2.4%) and operating income of $116.7 million (a decrease of 36%).

That's from an article over at gamesindustry.biz that I found via another site while looking for other Nintendo related news to potentially post.

Anyway, I suppose only time will tell but I reckon we're more likely to see more from Sonic and less obscure stuff from Sega going forward.

I wonder if Sega senses more appetite for physical toys with the games built into them?  The Mega Drive Mini seems like it's going to be popular, and it's M2 making the games for it anyway, so hopefully their work will at least keep going in these.  We could see a System 16 or System 32 joystick like Capcom's Home Arcade.  Or how about a steering wheel with the Model 1, 2 or 3 racing games?

Either way, I hope Sega Ages becomes more popular when rarer/more desired games are released.  We've all been able to buy Sonic the Hedgehog and OutRun recently... personally, I see the likes of Virtua Racing as much more exciting, so I hope that does well.

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Grazza said:

Either way, I hope Sega Ages becomes more popular when rarer/more desired games are released.  We've all been able to buy Sonic the Hedgehog and OutRun recently... personally, I see the likes of Virtua Racing as much more exciting, so I hope that does well.

I've said from the start this is a problem with the Ages series of games. Sega have a rich back catalogue yet they seem to trot out the same stuff over and over again. I think the Ages line would see far more interest if Saturn and Dreamcast titles were part of it. Imagine people being able to play through things like Panzer Dragoon Saga, Burning Rangers and Deep Fear without having to get out a second mortgage just to afford them or playing the all 3 parts of Shining Force 3, now fully translated. There would be a bigger market for these games than there is for playing Sonic or OutRun for the 100th time.

I think this is a big reason why the Mega Drive Mini is getting so much interest. They seem to be getting together a bunch of games that have never been released before and this is what fans are after.

• Like 1

Both Virtua Racing and Wonderboy in Monster Land got the western eShops on June 27th!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

content-4-35817-segaagesvirtuaracingalexkiddbanner.jpg

Up on the front page, all the PR and the above trailer that @Dcubed beat me to posting. ;)

Anyway, the main thing is that these titles are finally coming out and that we'll be able to play them at the end of this month! :D

I can't wait to play Virtua Racing. :peace:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m revisiting Alex Kidd in Miracle World for the first time in nearly 25 years.  The damn music is still in my head after all this time!  I like the added bonus of the few extra features they’ve added in, such as the time trial and leaderboards for certain stages, and I wish they could actually have expanded upon this to really add more longevity to the title.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Sega Lord X hitting the nail on the head when it comes to Sega Ages as all that is needed now are some obscure arcade titles to really boost the profile.

I know it all takes time, and licensing can be an issue when it comes to sponsporships which no longer exist but it's definitely possible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Space Harrier and Puyo Puyo are launching on the 22nd in Europe on the US.

• Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this