NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

Sega Ages (Summer M2)

If we get both games on the same day here in the west, I'll be a happy camper! :D 

Edited by Dcubed

29 minutes ago, nekunando said:

Outrun is overrated..

Possibly, yes.

OutRun 2/2006, however, is probably the greatest arcade racer ever.  Shame about the licensing issues.

55 minutes ago, Grazza said:

Possibly, yes.

OutRun 2/2006, however, is probably the greatest arcade racer ever.  Shame about the licensing issues.

I quite like Coast 2 Coast and would be way more interested in playing that on Switch than any earlier games :smile:

Is there much point in these Sega Ages when the Mega Drive Collection is being released?

7 minutes ago, Blade said:

Is there much point in these Sega Ages when the Mega Drive Collection is being released?

The emulation is far better? The SEGA AGES line isn't limited to just Mega Drive games? The games come with loads of extra features and gameplay enhancements?

There are loads of reasons why we want these! :D 

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Blade said:

I would say, that if you want to play a load of Mega Drive games here and there, then the Mega Drive Classics is a fantastic option for the price, heck I'm buying it as well! :D

(I already own it on the PS4)

But these individually released Sega Ages titles, although pricier, will likely offer superior emulation and even more features than the original games did.

Take the release of Sonic the Hedgehog for example, even that has a whole host of extras and improvements, but the Sonic in the collection, will still play well. :peace:

I'm mostly excited for Sega Ages when it comes to the titles which really deserve the extra effort which is being put into them, I mean... ideally all Sega games do...

...but for instance, Phantasy Star... it really sounds like they are going above and beyond with that release and Outrun will surely be amazing.

I think it's the future potential for unreleased Sega Arcade games or even Saturn and Dreamcast games which is the most exciting prospect of all.

For the Mega Drive games though, yes, I do think the collection is great but having more potential Sega games over the life of the Switch is definitely a good thing. :smile:

• Like 1

Nice!! I didn’t even think of that!

That’s a pretty killer USP for this version! :D 

6 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:
The lineup of games continues to disappoint me.

Yes, I'm afraid I'm not grabbed so far either.  I think there would be more excitement about the Sega Ages series if it focused on arcade games - System 16, System 32, Model 1, Model 2, Model 3 etc...  With Arcade Archives, ACA Neo Geo, Capcom Classics Collection and their like, there seems to be a real appetite to download the coin-ops we could never own at the time.

• Like 1

On 12/16/2018 at 2:13 PM, Grazza said:

Yes, I'm afraid I'm not grabbed so far either.  I think there would be more excitement about the Sega Ages series if it focused on arcade games - System 16, System 32, Model 1, Model 2, Model 3 etc...  With Arcade Archives, ACA Neo Geo, Capcom Classics Collection and their like, there seems to be a real appetite to download the coin-ops we could never own at the time.

Well so far, there are more arcade games than Mega Drive or Master System ones announced...

I know what you mean though.  You want the later games.  I don't think that they'll be part of the first wave of 15 titles though, but rather they'll be part of wave 2 (we already know that they have a Dreamcast/Naomi emulator up and running on Switch, so it's just a matter of time now).

• Thanks 1

I think those titles are more than fine for the first wave but of course we all have high hopes for wave 2. ;)

What I'd like to know at this point though is the likelihood of a physical Switch release once all the above titles are released, surely chances are pretty high?

Just going by the model which was used on the 3DS... but fifteen titles would make a fine Volume 1 compilation. :D

This is the only reason I haven't downloaded any yet, although... 15 X £5.99 would be £89.95... full retail for a Switch compilation would be around £40...

At least some of the games might be on sale or would have been on sale before the last titles come out, so it's at least possible.

I have a feeling that if it does happen, then it will take Ages but then it's Sega so... I'm willing to wait... or cave in when Outrun comes out. :p

Nabbed Out Run... again. :D

I've lost count of how many versions of this game I own now. It's so damn good though, just can't resist it. :hehe:

It's worth it for the soundtrack alone, which keeps growing/improving with each iteration:

Absolutely sublime. :love:

• Thanks 2

Wahey!! We’re getting both Gain Ground and Puyo Puyo in February in the West! :D 

https://www.gonintendo.com/stories/326235-sega-ages-gain-ground-and-puyo-puyo-drop-in-february-2019

Gain Ground and Puyo Puyo join the SEGA AGES line-up next month!

Gain Ground will see the addition of an All-Member Mode that unlocks all 20 characters, along with an Easy Mode if things are a little too difficult or you simply want to enjoy the game casually.

Meanwhile, the SEGA AGES release of Puyo Puyo will allow you to try your hand against other players outside your home with Online Play while testing your skills on the leaderboards with the new Ranking System! Note that Nintendo Switch Online is required for online play.

Also Coming to SEGA AGES in 2019

In 2018, we debuted the SEGA AGES series that revived some of SEGA's most beloved properties for modern audiences. That includes such iconic titles like Sonic The Hedgehog, Lightening Force: Quest for the Darkstar, and the original Phantasy Star. You can expect another great line-up of SEGA AGES releases in 2019, including:

Alex Kidd 
Columns II 
Puyo Puyo 2 
Space Harrier 
Virtua Racing 
Sonic 2 
Thunder Force AC

Nice to see SEGA playing catch up with the international releases. Was worried that we were doomed to lag behind Japan for good!

• Thanks 1

Well, I ended up buying both Sonic the Hedgehog and Thunderforce IV in that recent sale, so I guess I'm committed to buying these digitally now.

If they were to announce a physical collection for any number of the titles, it probably wouldn't happen for a while yet if at all.

In any case, I don't think I could have waited that long to play Phantasy Star, Outrun, Puyo Puyo 2, Virtua Racing or even Sonic 2 for the... however many times I've played it now. :D

• Like 1

Awesome new interview with the guys from M2!

https://nintendoeverything.com/sega-ages-devs-apologize-for-delays-discuss-future-titles-a-new-collection-and-how-surveys-drive-game-choices/

Some highlights...

Horii: We’ll be working on “Sonic the Hedgehog 2”, but we’ve already got some direction on what to do with it. To be vague, we were told that there were some ideas that Naka had for the game originally, but he couldn’t do it due to the Mega Drvie/Genesis hardware limitations. They want us to use those original ideas of Naka’s as a jumping off point.

So, it’ll be a different kind of challenge, but we’re up for it!

–Let’s talk a bit more about the second volume of releases that Shimomura mentioned.

Shimomura: Yes, well, if we’re successful enough that we can do another collection, all of those passionate responses will come in handy as we go head first into development.

Horii: I mean, we’ve already got the NAOMI board running on Switch, right? If I had to guess, I’d say that’s the direction we’d start off with. However, we should point out that just because we have the board running doesn’t mean there isn’t any testing and tweaking involved. “SEGA AGES” is all about adding features and reworking games, after all. And, of course, we stay well aware that the bigger the scope of work, the bigger the project will become.

–Very interesting.

Very interesting indeed... :) 

• Thanks 1

SEGA has announced that Alex Kidd in Miracle World will be the next SEGA Ages game on Switch. It has not been dated, but is due out soon.

Alex Kidd in Miracle World on Switch keeps the fun of the original while utilizing the FM sound unit. Original Mode and AGES Mode will be separate. The Game Over function has also been simplified – there’s a Helper Mode in which you can rewind up to five seconds, making it easier for people who aren’t used to action games. At the start of all the important stages, the team has incorporated newly drawn scenes set to the Sukopako Cycle theme (a track previously unused in-game); they aimed at a more “completed” version of the original.

• Thanks 1

Alex Kidd was on my Steam wishlist in consideration for my last Wii points, but I guess I'm getting it on Switch instead. That would be my first Sega Ages game.

Edited by Sméagol

Been a while since we last had an update, but we do have a pretty big one...

Virtua Racing has 2P online play and 8 player local multiplayer!!

https://gematsu.com/2019/03/sega-ages-virtua-racing-first-details-screenshots

Sega-Ages-Virtua-Racing_2019_03-19-19_00

Might have to squint a bit here!

Sega-Ages-Virtua-Racing_2019_03-19-19_01

Replay feature looks cool too... and hey! Is that Virt McPolygon!?

Seems like this is actually a port of Virtua Formula and not just the standard Virtua Racing... a version of Virtua Racing that supported up to 8 cabinets linked together!

Pretty freaking rad! Though why it seems to lack local wireless support is a bit baffling :p 

We are really getting behind in terms of the releases in the West. It seems to be taking AGES (:p ) for the games to come out over here.

• Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this