NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

Sega Ages (Summer M2)

Oh wow! I was literally JUST wondering what Lizardcube were up to the other day!

Fantastic news! Game looks superb so far! :D 

Oh wow, that was a surprise!  I love LizardCube and like to see them reinvent anything retro.

Space Harrier was announced as the next game on the list of the soon to released games. I was hoping for something other than a game that's already been released countless times before. :( 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Space Harrier was announced as the next game on the list of the soon to released games. I was hoping for something other than a game that's already been released countless times before. :( 

Well M2 did say that some of the games in this first wave of 15 or so games would be games that have never been previously re-released, but I'd expect most of them to be games that were previously put out on 3DS.

Either way, they should all be coming with features that weren't in their 3DS counterparts (like how Sonic 1 comes with the drop dash move and the Mega Play Arcade version); so they should still be pretty interesting!

Edited by Dcubed

Looks like Sega are holding a stage event for for the Ages line of games.

While Sega has yet to announce its stage schedule, the company announced in a separate release today that it will hold a Sega Ages stage event on September 22 from 15:10 to 15:40.

19 minutes ago, Ike said:

Can they release at least the first wave first before announcing more. :heh:

Yes, unless it's both Golden Axe coin-ops, in which case all is forgiven!

This week’s issue of Famitsu has revealed a new wave of SEGA Ages for Switch. Along with Space Harrier, SEGA is also preparing Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Columns II, Out Run, and Thunder Force AC.

I hope they are just getting all of these games out of the way to make way for the good stuff. It feels like Sega only like releasing a handful of their games over and over, while a lot of their other stuff is left on the shelf.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

3 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I hope they are just getting all of these games out of the way to make way for the good stuff. It feels like Sega only like releasing a handful of their games over and over, while a lot of their other stuff is left on the shelf.

All of these games (except for Gain Ground Arcade, Thunderforce 4 and Columns 2) were previously released on the 3DS.  Makes sense that they’d start by porting over the games that they’ve only just worked on recently, before moving onto other stuff.

At least we’re getting some of the games that were previously exclusive to the Japan only SEGA 3D Classics Collection 3 (Thunderforce AC).  Hopefully that means that Turbo Outrun won’t be far off (even though I’d prefer Outrunners!).

Hopefully the next wave will be more interesting though.

I suppose this wave does kind of highlight an issue that this SEGA AGES line has in comparison to the 3D Classics series... Releases of the more common games are inherently less interesting than they were before.  On the 3DS, even releases like Sonic 1 were exciting because you could play them in THREEEEEDEEEE!!! On Switch though? It doesn't have that same inherent appeal...

Edited by Dcubed

Friggin' finally!! Let's get this show on the road! :D 

I am actually looking forward to playing Sonic 1 with the drop dash! Never played Thunderforce 4 either, so I'm looking forward to that too :) 

I'm looking forward to Sonic 1 if im being honest. I know its a really old game but it would be good to have the entire collection on Switch one day.

10 hours ago, Ike said:

Phantasy Star on the 27th then?

I'd imagine so, unless they decide to push it back due to the other games being delayed.

2 hours ago, Blade said:

I'm looking forward to Sonic 1 if im being honest. I know its a really old game but it would be good to have the entire collection on Switch one day.

I'd be very surprised if Sonic 3 ever gets re-released again. There seems to be a lot of red tape to get through in regards to getting on other problems.

Sonic and Thunderforce IV listing are on the Japanese eShop, with a date of the 20th. They also list English is supported.

On 19/07/2018 at 11:58 AM, RedShell said:

Oh man, please tell me that screen border on Sonic is optional. :heh: 

The games out in Japan and I bought it. You can turn the wallpaper off so you have black borders. You can also choose full screen if you're a heathen.

• Thanks 2

My claim to fame.

DnfT9esVAAAT1zp.jpg

Probably won't last once the Japanese players wake up/it gets released everywhere else.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Ike said:

The games out in Japan and I bought it. You can turn the wallpaper off so you have black borders. You can also choose full screen if you're a heathen.

I can’t believe that the NES Online games don’t allow you to have a plain black background, that’s just horrific! 

Bless you M2 for having a bit of sense about you!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

Virtua Racing soon!  It's nice to see them moving onto coin-ops already:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/09/virtua_racing_joins_the_sega_ages_line_on_nintendo_switch

Nintendolife has also produced a handy list of the Sega Ages titles so far, which was useful for me as I'm getting very confused with these releases.  I've also grouped them with the classification according to Wikipedia:

Master System

• Alex Kidd in Miracle World
  • Phantasy Star

Mega Drive

• Sonic the Hedgehog
  • Sonic 2
  • Thunder Force IV

Arcade

• Columns II
  • Gain Ground
  • Out Run
  • Space Harrier
  • Thunder Force AC
  • Virtua Racing
Edited by Grazza
  • Thanks 2

Great choice! I remember them saying that they wanted to do Virtua Racing on 3DS, but weren't able to do it.

I hope they go nuts and include the Virtua Formula version too, with 8 player multiplayer over local wireless/LAN and support for insane multi-screen single player setups using multiple Switches, Super Mario Party style!

800px-VirtuaFormula_Cabinet.jpg

You know you want to M2! ;) 

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this