NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

Sega Ages (Summer M2)

https://www.resetera.com/posts/6812080/

Another interview from Famitsu...

• Sakurai and Kamiya pressured Sega into making the M2 efforts on console
  • They initially tried to get a VR Space Harrier going and it was good, but it seemed "scary" to do it?
  • The Switch proved to be very popular to classic game fans, and it switched to that
  • Kodama is in charge of the "content", basicilly what new elements to add and what could be exciting
  • A worldwide effort, however when a title is more popular to domestic players, it will come out in Japan first
  • They unearthed a whole lot of stuff from Sega's arcade division, and worked with them
  • The pace of releases will be faster than in the past? Could be misunderstanding it...they said they will use all of their experience
  • Because there is no 3D feature, they will add other stuff that's new instead
  • The ultimate goal is the provide "the whole of Sega", and it is a long term project

Well that all sounds rather lovely, doesn't it? :D 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Bah! Space Harrier VR would be amazing! :eek:

What a thought!  I wonder if they would keep it 3rd-person or switch to 1st-person?  It would certainly give me a fright when those Easter Island heads came flying at me!

Wait, could someone in the know tell me why Sakurai of all people is involved in this?

44 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Wait, could someone in the know tell me why Sakurai of all people is involved in this?

Because he’s a huge retro game enthusiast who is very vocal about the games he likes and plays? He has a regular column in Famitsu where he chats about new and old games (Nintendo or otherwise) that he likes; and has a big thing for retro gaming.

He’s probably friends with the guys from SEGA/M2 and basically begged them to bring the 3D Classics series to Switch and keep it going.

He’s basically the polite version of Kamiya... who probably helped by continuously swearing at them and asking their mum to make it happen.

Oh! BTW...

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/04/sega_ages_is_officially_coming_to_nintendo_switch_in_the_west

... a western release of this new SEGA AGES series has just been announced! Coming out “this summer” :D 

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 2

Definitely excited for Saturn and Dreamcast games on the Switch.

Imagine Burning Rangers at 1080p/60fps with modern shaders. Or Metropolis Street Racer with realtime lighting, shadows and reflections and a contemporary car roster.

• Thanks 1

https://nintendoeverything.com/sega-ages-devs-on-how-the-project-came-to-be-choosing-the-name-going-with-switch-new-game-features/

On reviving SEGA Ages as a series name, president Matsubara ordered them to “establish the brand if you want to reboot it anew.” And up until now they used to develop in Japan first then bring it overseas, but this time they want to expand it simultaneously in Japan, North America, and Europe. This is because SEGA 3D Fukkoku Archives was received very well in the west, but was released very late overseas...

... Last summer, people from SEGA Interactive (which developed and published SEGA’s arcade games) helped picked up source code for the titles. By then, most of the title lineup had been decided.

When considering the era range of represented hardware, they need to think about it from a business time constraint, and the one that’s realistically viable was from the polygon-era hardware.

While development for each title in the past could take years, this time they aimed to create more than 15 titles for this project, with a pace of one title per a few months. Ultimately they came up with 18 titles.

Much more at the link!

Edited by Dcubed

According to Famitsu the first two games in this collection will be Sonic the Hedgehog and Thunder Force IV, both of which will release in August.

• Thanks 1

I'll definitely be buying Sonic 1. Love some Mega Drive sonic. Switch is the perfect fit.

29 minutes ago, Ike said:

Buying Sonic 1 for the millionth time. :laughing:

#EverythingOnSwitch

I'm even tempted to get Okami HD on Switch.. and I don't really want to play it again :grin:

• Haha 1

I'll get Thunder Force IV rather than Sonic.  I've never played the former, and have played the latter a bit too much… (for now!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

New features unveiled!

https://gematsu.com/2018/07/sega-ages-sonic-the-hedgehog-and-thunder-force-iv-launch-in-august

Sonic The Hedgehog

• Original Mode: Enjoy the original Sega Genesis / Mega Drive version of Sonic the Hedgehog. Stage selection, which was a cheat code in the original version, can be turned on / off at startup. Additionally, the “Spin Dash” action added in Sonic the Hedgehog 2 and “Drop Dash” action aided in Sonic Mania have also been added (which can be disabled in the game options). Also, in addition to the standard Japanese and overseas game versions, you can also choose to play the Mega Play version. Mega Play was a Sega Genesis / Mega Drive formatted for arcades to play popular Sega Genesis / Mega Drive games. The Mega Play version is a time attack game where the goal is to clear familiar stages within the time limit, allowing players to enjoy a condensed form of Sonic the Hedgehog‘s thrill and sense of speed through stages configured to emphasize speed.
  • Ring Keep Mode: A support mode added in 3D Sonic the Hedgehog 2 for 3DS. Since the player will always start the stage with 10 rings, it is easy to come back from boss battles or mistakes made right after the stage begins.
  • Challenge Mode: 1) A worldwide ranking mode where players compete to clear “Green Hill Zone Act 1” with the best time. 2) A worldwide ranking mode where players compete in score attack in the Sega Genesis / Mega Drive version. Even just one mistake will end the challenge.

ss_02.jpg

ss_06.jpg

ss_04.jpg

Thunder Force IV

• STYX Mode: A mode where you can play as the FIRE LEO-03 “STYX,” the fighter spacecraft used by the player in Thunder Force III. While you can play using all of the weapons from Thunder Force III, will the older model spacecraft make the fight harder in Thunder Force IV? STYX Mode is unlocked by clearing Original Mode once.
  • Original Mode: Enjoy the original Sega Genesis / Mega Drive version of Thunder Force IV. You can choose between the Japanese and overseas game versions. Also, in addition to being able to increase the difficulty by configuring slowdown reduction, you can also configure whether the background music stops or continues during voice-over playback when powering up like the original version.
  • Kids Mode: A beginner mode with a lower difficulty from the original version that offers handicaps such as the player not losing their weapon upon making a mistake. This is based on the element added to the Thunder Force Gold Pack 2 version of Thunder Force IV for Sega Saturn.

ss_03.jpg

ss_02.jpg

Great to see that the rumours were true and that they're adding the Drop Dash move from Sonic Mania into Sonic 1! That'll be loads of fun to mess around with! :D 

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RedShell said:

Oh man, please tell me that screen border on Sonic is optional. :heh: 

I'm sure it will be, this IS M2 we're talking about here.  I doubt that they'd neglect a simple and basic thing like that.

24 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

I'm sure it will be, this IS M2 we're talking about here.  I doubt that they'd neglect a simple and basic thing like that.

True.

I’m surprised something like that has to exist in the first place though, can’t think of anything more distracting than having that atrocity surrounding the game screen. :laughing: Well, I can actually... but even so, the only thing 4:3 content should be surrounded by on a 16:9 display, is black. :hehe: 

• Thanks 1

New info.

-New Sega Ages logo shown.
-1 or 2 titles will be released per month after August.
-Games will have online play. (may be a mistranslation)
-From the initial 15 announced number, some of those games have never been re-released before.
-More than 15 titles are in development

New titles! Come on Saturn ports.

• Thanks 2

It looks like Phantasy Star is next on the release list.

The SEGA Ages should be getting started on Switch this month with Sonic the Hedgehog and Thunder Force IV. We also have news about the next title that will follow.

Confirmed just a couple of minutes ago, SEGA Ages – Phantasy Star is set for September. Japanese pricing is set at 925 yen. Features include a bestiary, item and magic list, and auto-mapping functionality.

UuYavsT.jpg

acPBz1H.jpg

bhtpcjf.jpg

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wasn't the first wave meant to be out in August? Because there's 1 week left.

18 minutes ago, Ike said:

Wasn't the first wave meant to be out in August? Because there's 1 week left.

Yup. They aren't exactly indie games either so I can't imagine them showing up in Tuesday's Direct.

I wonder if they are getting Saturn dropped or maybe they've been pushed back?

On 8/25/2018 at 10:28 PM, Hero-of-Time said:

Yup. They aren't exactly indie games either so I can't imagine them showing up in Tuesday's Direct.

I wonder if they are getting Saturn dropped or maybe they've been pushed back?

Looks like it's the latter...

https://www.resetera.com/threads/sega-ages-sonic-1-and-thunder-force-iv-switch-delayed-to-september-in-japan.64574/

A shame, but it's not exactly long to wait either way.  Better it's done right than fast!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 2

Shame, but not too bad. Hopefully it doesn't delay Phantasy Star's release.

In other Sega news, Streets of Rage 4 has been announced. No platform or release date but I’m praying this is the real deal. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Sign in to follow this