NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Dcubed

Playstation 5 rumours have started

https://www.resetera.com/threads/semiacccurate-gets-some-playstation-5-next-details-100-subscription-to-read-summary-in-op.33810/

Coming from everyone's favourite early hardware leak source, Semiaccurate, it looks like we might have our first rumblings of PS5!

A summary below is you...

-Uses AMD's Navi as its base architecture, not specifically using Navi.
-CPU is Zen
-Large amount of devkits have apparently gone out.
-Author suggests 2018 release of PS5 is not out of the question based on the amount of devkits released
-VR "goodies" baked in at the Silicon level. (Sony not giving up on PSVR any time soon is what I think)

Some more stuff in there, but I am not technically literate, and doesn't really discuss power of the system.

Begin, the pre-E3 hype and discussion is now! :D 

I’m super duper pissed that I typed a long and thought out post (plus a bit of copy pasta) and then the forums decided fuck me they can’t find the location I wanted to reply to. Ugh. 

Maybe tomorrow. 

2 hours ago, Happenstance said:

A 2018 release seems like a nuts prediction.

I agree.  Can't see it happening, but I do reckon that 2019 is very possible if dev kits are getting put out now.  Would be 3 years after the PS4 Pro's launch, which was 3 years after the PS4's launch.

Would also line up nicely with the 25th anniversary of the PS1's launch ;) 

I also reckon that it's very possible that we might see the first hints at it during this year's E3.  Early "next gen" BS target renders, tech demos, promises of backwards compatibility, memes, all that good stuff.  Wouldn't surprise me if they announced Death Stranding as the first PS5 launch title...

Edited by Dcubed

3 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

I also reckon that it's very possible that we might see the first hints at it during this year's E3.  Early "next gen" BS target renders, tech demos, promises of backwards compatibility, memes, all that good stuff.  Wouldn't surprise me if they announced Death Stranding as the first PS5 launch title...

Thing is, the PS4 is still selling stupidly well. They don't want to stop that by mentioning their next console. If ( and its a big IF ) they were to mention it this year then I think PSX would be the better option. That way the holidays would be pretty much over and done with ( show is usually a week or two into Dec ) and they could show a quick tease without effecting the seasonal sales.

9 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Thing is, the PS4 is still selling stupidly well. They don't want to stop that by mentioning their next console. If ( and its a big IF ) they were to mention it this year then I think PSX would be the better option. That way the holidays would be pretty much over and done with ( show is usually a week or two into Dec ) and they could show a quick tease without effecting the seasonal sales.

PS3 was announced and shown off with tech demos two whole years before its release.  Wii U was announced two years before its release.  Wii was announced and unveiled (well, the hardware design at least) a year and a half before its release, 3DS was announced almost a whole year before its release...

Early hardware reveals have never really stopped a current console from selling before; why would it now?

In fact, announcing the PS5 "early" in this case, might just prove to benefit Sony by taking some of the wind out of the XboneX's sails, while a commitment to backwards compatibility for PS4 titles in their next console would also put current PS4 owners at ease, letting them feel confident in making purchases that will continue to work (perhaps even in improved form) on Sony's next machine.

Edited by Dcubed

The key for Sony is to release the PS5 when the PS4 starts to lose some momentum but is still capable of selling units whilst the more expensive PS5 hits the market. It's tough to judge but early 2020 sounds about right.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

PS3 was announced and shown off with tech demos two whole years before its release.  Wii U was announced two years before its release.  Wii was announced and unveiled (well, the hardware design at least) a year and a half before its release, 3DS was announced almost a whole year before its release...

Early hardware reveals have never really stopped a current console from selling before; why would it now?

In fact, announcing the PS5 "early" in this case, might just prove to benefit Sony by taking some of the wind out of the XboneX's sails, while a commitment to backwards compatibility for PS4 titles in their next console would also put current PS4 owners at ease, letting them feel confident in making purchases that will continue to work (perhaps even in improved form) on Sony's next machine.

It's a different time now though. Look at One, PS4 and the Switch. All were officially announced and then released within a very small time frame. 

Sony really isn't in a position where it needs to rush anything to market. The One X hasn't been the huge boost Microsoft were looking for which means Sony can sit back and look at how things will play out. If anyone is to announce a new console first then I would think it would be Microsoft. I'd imagine they would like to put this gen behind them as fast as possible but with the X just being launched last year then I guess they won't be doing anything new hardware wise anytime soon.

47 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

I think the key difference, at least for now, would be that the PS4 is still on a staggering upward trajectory in terms of units sold per year, which it’s been on ever since launch. The PS4 was announced back in Feb 2013, when the PS3 had already shown signs of beginning to peter out, with FY 2012 sales having shown its first drop-off. Not only that, but the PS3 never passed 20 million units sold in a year, which PS4 managed last year, and I don’t think Sony would risk messing with that momentum, so I agree with @Goron_3 that it’d be wise for them to hold off announcing/teasing it until they have solid evidence that the PS4 has started to slow down. 

Agreed that backwards compatibility would be a great move, and it’s something I definitely want, even if it is only the Xbox route of having discs be a license key to access games. It’s frustrating how quiet they’ve been with regards to backwards compatibility as a whole this generation, simply because the PS3 has so many rare games available for relatively cheap which, for some reason, aren’t available on PS4. It’s probably the only place where Sony has been well and truly beat this generation.

However, I don’t think Sony needs to do much of anything to take the wind out of Xbox One X’s sales. They’ve been king of the hill this generation, and I think an approach like that - especially in this day and age, where many studios can go under at any moment - could backfire just as massively as the PS3 did at launch. 

I’ve mentioned it elsewhere, but, ideally, we shouldn’t be getting a PS5 until 2021 at the earliest, because console generations should only be getting longer due to the technology available. I mean, just look how much that first parties have managed to squeeze out of the PS4 (and especially the Pro) recently when compared to launch, with games like Horizon, God of War, Shadow of the Colossus, etc., looking extraordinary, regardless of whether the Pro is showing them off in true 4K, and that should only continue until the end of the generation, as has been the case with almost every generation of consoles. Of course, this doesn’t account for extrinsic factors, such as sales and customer anticipation of the next big thing, but I really don’t think that we’re getting the PS5 this side of 2020, due to all of the above reasons and more. 

I’ll actually be gutted if, with a relatively empty second half of 2018 currently slated, the PS4’s presence at E3 is overshadowed by a PS5 tease.

The thing is, I’m sure ResetEra is accurate, and I’m sure devkits have gone out (there were whispers about it a few months ago, if I recall correctly). But I think it’s just a case of Sony getting ahead of the curb and letting third parties know what their current plans are for the PS5, and to let them know that they’re working on their next console, and nothing more than that, because the next generation’s upgrades will likely be a lot more difficult to explain beyond the expected visual upgrade to true 4K for PlayStation. 

EDIT: also worth mentioning that Jason Schreier, who broke news of the Pro, is urging scepticism when reading this report. None of his development buddies can seem to corroborate it. 

Edited by Julius Caesar

Releasing a PS5 in 2018 doesn't seem logical, heck even 2019 doesn't seem logical.  I'm reckoning 2020 at the earliest for a PS5, probably being announced late this year or next year.  And if the dev kits have been sent out now this year, it'll take a while for anything to be even remotely playable.

1 hour ago, Julius Caesar said:

I think the key difference, at least for now, would be that the PS4 is still on a staggering upward trajectory in terms of units sold per year, which it’s been on ever since launch.

So was the PS1 when the PS2 was announced, as was the PS2 when the PS3 was announced, and the Wii when Wii U was announced...

I wouldn't necessarily take that to be a reason for them to not announce it early, if they wanted to kick things off before MS had a chance to react.

The thing is, I’m sure ResetEra is accurate, and I’m sure devkits have gone out (there were whispers about it a few months ago, if I recall correctly).

Semiaccurate is the source, not ResetEra.  They've been right about hardware leaks many times in the past, so it could well be true...

But I think it’s just a case of Sony getting ahead of the curb and letting third parties know what their current plans are for the PS5, and to let them know that they’re working on their next console, and nothing more than that, because the next generation’s upgrades will likely be a lot more difficult to explain beyond the expected visual upgrade to true 4K for PlayStation. 

Could well be the case.  But the PS5 might not even be a generational leap like we've become accustomed to in the past anyway... I'm personally expecting something along the lines of a PS4Pro/iPhone _S/number kind of leap.  PS5 games wont work on PS4/Pro, but PS4 games will work going forward.

I think that we'll be seeing a longer version of the smartphone model for consoles going forward, where generational leaps as we know them are dead and each new console is an incremental improvement; but numerical jumps are the cutoff point for older hardware.  Much like how the market is more interested in new iPhones that have numbers attached to them than letters, but it's the same kind of jump regardless.

So a new console every 6 years and a refresh right in the middle, at the 3 year mark.

Edited by Dcubed

1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

So was the PS1 when the PS2 was announced, as was the PS2 when the PS3 was announced, and the Wii when Wii U was announced...

Sorry, I think you might have misunderstood what I was trying to say: the PS4 just had its best-selling year for units sold, and every single year it’s been on sale it has had its best-selling year to this point, so if we were to graph annual/fiscal year sales for the PS4, up to this point, it would just be going up (according to the numbers that we have available on the matter). 

2013 - 4.2m units sold

2014 - 14.41m units sold

2015 - 16.75m units sold

2016 - 18.41m units sold

2017 - 21.2m units sold

The PS2 was announced in March 1999 - just one month prior to the end of FY99 - when the PS1 had already begun to decline (the deficit from FY98 to FY99 is great enough for it to be assumed that this announcement wasn’t the cause of said deficit). Similarly, the PS3 was announced in June 2005, with PS2 sales having been on the decline since the end of FY02.  

sony_playstation_hardware_production_shi

Similar story for the Wii, which showed a decline from the end of FY10 onwards.

Semiaccurate is the source, not ResetEra.  They've been right about hardware leaks many times in the past, so it could well be true...

Sorry, my bad, that’s what I meant. As I edited into my post above, though, others who would presumably be aware of such details aren’t, and can’t at this point corroborate Semiaccurate’s claims.

But the PS5 might not even be a generational leap like we've become accustomed to in the past anyway... I'm personally expecting something along the lines of a PS4Pro/iPhone _S/number kind of leap.  PS5 games wont work on PS4/Pro, but PS4 games will work going forward.

I think that we'll be seeing a longer version of the smartphone model for consoles going forward, where generational leaps as we know them are dead and each new console is an incremental improvement; but numerical jumps are the cutoff point for older hardware.  Much like how the market is more interested in new iPhones that have numbers attached to them than letters, but it's the same kind of jump regardless.

So a new console every 6 years and a refresh right in the middle, at the 3 year mark.

Sure, I see where you’re coming from, apart from with the length of a console generation. As I said above/elsewhere, console generation length can’t be assumed to be static, because of the diminishing returns that each new console will naturally offer compared to the previous model (Moore’s Law, etc.) in terms of upgraded raw processing power, visual fidelity, and so on.

The fact that video game consoles have had a pretty static life cycle of typically 5-7 years to this point is astounding, but reflects the constant evolution of technology that we’ve seen on the hardware end. However, with that slowing down, the focus will inevitably turn to the software side of things, such as AI, which takes much longer to evolve, simply due to its complexity. We’re already 4.5 years into this generation, and there’s no sign that developers are slowing down in turns of how much they can get out of the current generation of systems. 

I don’t want to seem like I down want the next generation to come, because I really do. I cannot wait to see how advancing AI is integrated into video games, and to maybe (finally) have enough space for a larger quantity of games if they decide to upgrade the storage to make up for the seemingly smaller upgrades elsewhere.

I’m just so incredibly satisfied and happy with what this generation has been so far, and may yet be, in terms of software, that I’m not craving hardware news as much as I have before. 

Edited by Julius Caesar

Honestly, I can't quite believe the PS4 has been out coming up to half a decade. It has aged incredibly well. My feeling is that the PS5 won't be happening this year. But next year seems pretty strong since I think Sony would want to be seen as proactive in the industry instead of reactive to anything Xbox does. 

I guess we'll see. I can't say I'm surprised, while at the same time I'm really quite satisfied with my PS4/Pro.

As long as Overwatch works on it.

I'm positive that some 1st party game studios got the early version of PS5 this year. Make sense to have half of the technology baked into the console because how awkward PS VR are on the PS4 with those extra cables and that wee device for both telly and VR set. They could announce the PS5 later this year but it will be another 1.5 to 2 years before it hit the stores. Did they said they will use the same architecture as PS4 to make it more backward compatible with PS4 games? 

I'm quite curious about the PS5 games especially if they will have VR support in same manner as Wipeout game recently got it where everyone love it so much. 

Edited by DriftKaiser

Kotaku have just published Jason Schreier’s piece on what their sources have told them about the PS5.

They waffle a bit, so I’ll summarise:

• Of the dozens of contacted (including major third- and first-party developers), only two said that they were directly familiar with plans for the PS5.

• Those familiar with the plans stated that it’s unlikely to launch in 2019, let alone 2018. However, they and Schreier do vehemently note that such windows are always subject to change by external factors (such as competitors launching their own next generation console).

• Of those who were contacted, many who are developing games for 2019 and beyond told Schreier that if there is information regarding the PS5 at their companies, they haven’t heard anything about it.

• Of those contacted, there has so far been no news regarding the next Xbox.

• It is noted that there was roughly a 12-24 month known window prior to the PS4’s launch where studios got their hands on the dev kits; even if they have been sent out, we are likely still a ways off, as these are the first rumblings of them being out there.

• At the Game Developers Conference in San Francisco last month, Schreier heard secondhand rumours that, in meetings between Sony and developers, 2020 was vaguely hinted as being a potential year of release for the PS5.

Edited by Julius Caesar
  • Thanks 1

No please just no! not yet, not until late 2019 or Early 2020

The PS4 is doing very well, huge swaves of games are coming, it seems utterly silly to expect people to upgrade (especially since no backwards compatibility is the new norm)

360 and PS3 felt like they were creaking at the seams by the time PS4/XB1 came along. PS4 still feels new and full of potential, who'd actually buy a PS5 if it released this year?

Interesting video by DigitalFoundry on the matter. Only downside is the constant teasing that they know something not mentioned in the purported leaks.

Sign in to follow this