NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

Far Cry 5 (PS4/One/PC)

I thought we already had a topic kicking about for this. ::shrug:

I snapped it up yesterday as I wanted a game that would be easy to pick up and play. I loved Far Cry 3,4 and Primal and this is just more of the same, which is what I was after. I've already had some hilarious random moments while playing it but nothing as good as what happened to Ben over on Easy Allies.

https://clips.twitch.tv/HardWittyPotatoPeteZarollTie

Great stuff. :D 

Anyone else pick it up?

Edited by Hero-of-Time

Really not a fan of the setting compared to the last two games, but it does look like fun. Might buy it when it's a bit cheaper.

1 minute ago, bob said:

Really not a fan of the setting compared to the last two games, but it does look like fun. Might buy it when it's a bit cheaper.

I think the overall tone and story of the game is darker than the others that I mentioned but the gameplay is just as fun.

I think the overall tone and story of the game is darker than the others that I mentioned but the gameplay is just as fun.
I meant the location of Montana being a bit dull compared to a tropical island or "Nepal", but the gameplay in FC games is always good.

I picked it up too of course. Had a few hours of fun with it so far. I also picked up Ni No Kuni II, Switch and Odyssey...I certaintly won't be bored this Easter :p

I can agree with bob about the setting of the past two games being more exciting, but that said I don't mind Montanta and I'm still early in the game.

I'd love to get it but I already spent 100€ for a PS4 Pro so no new game for two months for me. :(

Well...I still have Ni No Kuni II to play :D

@Hero-of-Time @Tales Did you have a go at the Arcade mode?

Only briefly, my first game had  an annoying German with a mic talking to himself or something and I couldn't find a way to mute him so I quit. That aside, I doubt I'll play it much outside of getting the trophies for it anyway. Didn't buy a single player game for a multiplayer.

44 minutes ago, Tales said:

Only briefly, my first game had  an annoying German with a mic talking to himself or something and I couldn't find a way to mute him so I quit.

Good ol' annoying Germans...I hate 'em :laughing:

I really hate that the sound options for the game are so limited. Why can't I adjust the music levels and the speech levels separately? Like in virtually every other game in existence.

Question, if I get in my car and drive off...does the dog get in the car, or follow me, or teleport to where I end up? It doesn't look like he gets in the car and I don't want to leave him behind. So I'm basically just running everywhere.

2 hours ago, drahkon said:

@Hero-of-Time @Tales Did you have a go at the Arcade mode?

Not yet. Doubt I'll bother much with it, TBH.

23 minutes ago, Daft said:

Question, if I get in my car and drive off...does the dog get in the car, or follow me, or teleport to where I end up? It doesn't look like he gets in the car and I don't want to leave him behind. So I'm basically just running everywhere.

He should teleport to where you go. I know I've drove off before and Boomer was waiting for me at my arrival point.

I cleared my first area this morning (bottom left of map). I made sure to unlock the plane yard early on, so now I can just hop in a plane and strafe/bomb the hell outta everyone. 

I love a game where the main bad guys are nasty SOBs. It makes getting my revenge so much sweeter. :D 

Can't say I miss the radio towers. The world feels more alive when I need to talk to people to learn about other places and things to do, and actually go there to unfog the map.

2 hours ago, Daft said:

I really hate that the sound options for the game are so limited. Why can't I adjust the music levels and the speech levels separately? Like in virtually every other game in existence.

The dog usually runs along the car, matching the speed even, but other companions, including random civilians you recruit will get in the car.

Edited by Tales
  • Thanks 1

Finished the game this evening. Great stuff. Standard Far Cry game but the worlds Ubisoft create are so much fun to play around in. The only thing I didn't like was the long loading times but given the size of the world I think this is understandable.

I had a blast of the arcade mode this morning. Not bad, but not great either. Pretty meh. 

Platinum achieved.

The multiplayer trophies are a bit of a pain in the butt. Having to get everyone to pick the map you need and then actually win on it 10 times took some doing. The fishing trophy also took a bit of time due to the randomness of the weight of the fish that you catch.

I can now start Ni No Kuni II. :bouncy:

• Like 1

Well done.

Just started the on the third region mysellf, Faith's region. I'm planning to do more than what's required for the platinum, as close to 100% as possible.

So how is this in relation to the previous Far Cry games? I loved 3 And Primal (loved being able to tame beasts and just how visceral it was to play) but 4 just didn't click with me at all and I'm slightly worried it'll follow suite with that game so I've held off but the temptation is strong to jump on this now that I've got Wolfenstein 2 out of the way.

52 minutes ago, Ganepark32 said:

So how is this in relation to the previous Far Cry games? I loved 3 And Primal (loved being able to tame beasts and just how visceral it was to play) but 4 just didn't click with me at all and I'm slightly worried it'll follow suite with that game so I've held off but the temptation is strong to jump on this now that I've got Wolfenstein 2 out of the way.

It has more in common with 4 than Primal. If you didn't enjoy 4 then I would give this a miss.

• Thanks 1

I think it's more that 4 felt too familiar whereas Primal didn't (I also really liked how the gameplay in that game had a good weight to it), that's probably more what I'm getting at. I did like the villain in 4 but the gameplay and such felt too much like 3. If 5 still follows that suite, then I'll probably wait and get it when it goes down in price.

The allure of a new game is probably what's drawing me to it as there's little releasing at the moment that I'm overly interested in (even Ni No Kuni 2 is something I'm umming and ahhhing over as the last few jrpgs didn't click with me) so thought I'd ask and see. Maybe one for down the line.

Man, Ubisoft be killing it lately. The Division, Creed Origins, Ghost Recon, Rainbow Six and now this. All of these have be fantastic sellers for them.

4 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:
Man, Ubisoft be killing it lately. The Division, Creed Origins, Ghost Recon, Rainbow Six and now this. All of these have be fantastic sellers for them.

True enough but still, I've got to post this episode of The Jimquisition here because it definitely strikes a chord with me... :p

It probably explains why I haven't bought any of these games since... probably the last Assassin's Creed game on the Xbox 360.

They are all good games, but they just aren't for me... and I'm fine with that. :peace:

I'm glad to see that they still sell well and that many people still enjoy them though, it's not even that I feel like I'm "too good" for these games, it's purely prioritisation. :)

I might play them when they are on Plus or Games with Gold. :laughing:

Edited by S.C.G

8 hours ago, S.C.G said:

True enough but still, I've got to post this episode of The Jimquisition here because it definitely strikes a chord with me... :p

Yeah, I watched it the other day but its something that doesn't really bother me due to the games have great individual stories and cracking gameplay. It's like gaming comfort food. The formula they have got for their games is spot on and works for the intended audience. 

Also, I found this comment on Era about Jim to be spot on and hilarious.

Ballsy move for Jim sterling to criticise someone who found a formula that earns them money then endlessly riffs on it

As much as I do enjoy Jim, his endless kicking off with the AAA space and garbage games on Steam is getting tiresome. If a AAA developer is doing well and their game is good, just like Far Cry 5, he kicks off over something. If a AAA game is bad and has microtransactions littered in it, he kicks off. Basically, they can't win.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Yeah, I watched it the other day but its something that doesn't really bother me due to the games have great individual stories and cracking gameplay. It's like gaming comfort food. The formula they have got for their games is spot on and works for the intended audience. 

Also, I found this comment on Era about Jim to be spot on and hilarious.

As much as I do enjoy Jim, his endless kicking off with the AAA space and garbage games on Steam is getting tiresome. If a AAA developer is doing well and their game is good, just like Far Cry 5, he kicks off over something. If a AAA game is bad and has microtransactions littered in it, he kicks off. Basically, they can't win.

Oh yeah, I agree that the games do seem to be very well crafted and polished. I'm certainly not outright dismissing them entirely, it's just that with so many games, choices have to be made sometimes so I won't be picking any of them up when they come out, even the ones that I have a fair bit of interest in as I just won't have the time.

True enough, Jim is retreading a lot of old ground, I do think he's right on some level though, not all the time though and nothing is absolute.

I may well play Far Cry 5 one day, it looks fun but I just can't justify buying it currently.

• Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this