NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
markderoos

Next Classic Mini - Hopes, rumours, expectations & speculation

So I was triggered by:

7 hours ago, V. Amoleo said:

I've not bought Pokemon Puzzle League yet because there's a slim chance there'll be an N64 Classic, and I suspect this would be included on it.

Most people are expecting the N64 to be the next piece of retro Nintendo hardware getting the Classic Mini treatment. But there’re also rumours about a Game Boy Classic Mini being next in line.

I’ve bought both the NES and SNES Mini and would also buy both of the above. I love having a library of the most populair retro games on a simple and small piece of kit that connects easily to modern TV’s.

But there’s also a negative side to this story. It could be a huge reason for Nintendo loosing interest in VC on Switch. Or to launch VC but without their first party software. No VC on Switch would be a serious disappointment for me and the release of for example the Arcade Archives games could be seen as a hint in that direction.

On the other hand I’d be very interested in a N64 Classic Mini because a lot of the best games on that console are either hard to come by or really expensive. 

That brings me to yet another interesting point; the games that would come with it. And especialy the licenses to those games. A N64 Classic Mini without Rare games would feel severely incomplete.

And lastly the Game Boy Classic Mini. A handheld getting the Classic Mini treatment, could that even work? It would become some sort of Game Boy Micro copy but without GBA support. And did the Game Boy have enough evergreen (first party) titles to warrant a release?

Questions, questions! I’m very interested in any and all opinions so feel free to join in :)

ps: I tried to edit this post to delete the quote underneath this text but didn’t succeed...

7 hours ago, V. Amoleo said:

Edited by markderoos
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Never owned an N64, and didn’t actually play my first N64 game until quite recently (Ocarina of Time - on 3DS - last year, which I’ve yet to return to). I’d love to have an N64 Classic Mini, because every single time I see a “Best Games of All Time” list, you can bet I’ve seen a whole lot of N64 titles. It’d be great (especially for someone like me): Ocarina of Time, Majora’s Mask, Super Smash Bros., Super Mario 64, etc., the list goes on and on. 

Same for the Game Boy; I just wasn’t around when these consoles came out (my first interaction with a Nintendo console was probably with a GameCube or Game Boy Advance), so you can bet I’ve got a back log of games to play on each system. Off the top of my head for Game Boy, you’ve of course got the Pokémon games (Gen I and Gen II), Link’s Awakening, Super Mario Land, etc., and I’d be surprised if Tetris didn’t turn up if Nintendo didn’t do this either. 

I have a lot of games that I want to play on these older consoles, but I also have a lot of games that I want to play from the NES or SNES — yet I’ve abstained from purchasing those Classic Minis up to this point. My main reason for this is that I’d much rather wait to see what’s going on with a Switch VC before committing money to a home-only version of a game I could be playing on the go on my Switch (a second reason would be that Chrono Trigger wasn’t included on the SNES Classic Mini...). 

As you mentioned, the whole situation with Rare and games they have the rights to, like Goldeneye and Banjo-Kazooie, means that they likely wouldn’t want the games on a Classic Mini console, because Xbox/Microsoft would only be getting a small fraction of a ~£100 pie. I think that those games would be much more likely to launch on Switch VC because Rare/Xbox/Microsoft would have more control over the game’s price, and would likely pocket a bit more cash as a result. 

So, whilst I’m all for an N64 Mini and a Game Boy Mini...I just don’t see how it could feasibly work in a world with Switch VC, which I would have to assume that we’re getting. These Classic Mini consoles are a nice collectibles and have a lot of nostalgia to fuel their success, but I don’t think that they should interfere in any way with Nintendo’s plans for Switch VC, assuming that that is in the works. I mention this because I’ve seen people elsewhere on the internet suggest that Switch VC should launch with only NES and SNES titles if it comes later this year, with N64, Game Boy, GameCube, etc., coming down the line after the release of their respective Mini consoles, which is an idea that I’m just not a fan of. 

I think Nintendo has to be smart about how they handle this. We’re already seeing gamers hold off on purchasing Hollow Knight on PC to play it on Switch, and I think a similar situation could come about if more Classic Mini consoles are released without the Switch VC turning up — the vast majority will just be waiting for the game to come to that service instead. 

• Like 1

See, the reason why I can't see a Game Boy Mini happening is because... well...

Wikipedia_gameboy_micro.jpg

It already exists!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

I think that a Game Boy classic would make the most sense to do next, the N64 controller takes a lot of plastic to make and after including 2 controllers with the SNES they would have to include at least 2 controllers with the N64 and the packaging would surely be enormous if they did that. The Game Boy does bring up other issues though, I think there are enough quality first party games to make separate Game Boy and GBA editions but other people have suggested that Nintendo should just release a GBA classic that includes original GB and GBC titles but I think that would leave the list of games looking either really crowded or really lacking.

Like the N64 classic not being able to include some of the consoles best games (GoldenEye specifically seems like it'd be impossible) a Game Boy classic would throw up a similar issue with Tetris because the rights have changed hands to the point that Nintendo had to eventually remove the GB Tetris from the 3DS VC but a Game Boy classic without Tetris would just feel completely wrong. It would also seem weird for Nintendo to include all of the Pokémon games considering how precious they have been about re-releasing the originals, they could just include Yellow and Crystal but I think fans are more nostalgic for the original pairs rather than the third entries, otherwise I think there are plenty of games for them to release a Game Boy classic this year and a GBA classic next year, I think they'd go for a GB Pocket size rather than shrinking it down much and go with a colour screen so they can include GBC games but allow users to play original GB titles in either B&W or the preset palletes of the GBC. The battery life with modern efficient lithium ion batteries and a screen that isn't too taxing could mean an absurdly long battery life, considering phones last several hours while doing a multitude of things a GB could last for ages ( though Nintendo will likely use 3DS batteries considering they're still manufacturing them)

Also just realised that they'll have to lock down save states in the Pokémon games like they do on 3DS but that shouldn't be too much of a problem. 

I haven't loaded any extra games onto my NES or SNES classics but if a Game Boy classic came out and didn't have Tetris then I would definitely have to add it, it's basically the only reason I want one!

@Dcubed I think they'll go that route with a GBA classic but I'd love them to release it in the OG GBA shell, it's the most perfectly designed handheld.

Edited by killthenet
  • Like 1

I keep wanting to buy an N64 but the SNES Mini reminded me how annoying wires were.

That being said, Beetle Adventure Racing. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

I keep wanting to buy an N64 but the SNES Mini reminded me how annoying wires were.

That being said, Beetle Adventure Racing

I actually bought that recently partly due to the Throwback Thursday you wrote about it, I haven't played it yet but I will soon as I have a new N64 controller to test it with. :D

It's definitely still worth buying an N64, I know... wires but it's still worth it. :)

- - - - -

I'm hopefully going to go with RGB for most of my consoles soon, I've ordered an RGB modded N64 too so even though an N64 mini would be nice, especially for certain games, there will always be plenty of other N64 games (probably including Beetle Adventure Racing) that would probably never make it onto an N64 mini (even though they should by all rights be included) so there will always be a demand for original hardware still. :peace:

• Like 2

Quite a few of my favourite N64 games are either made by Rare or require a Transfer Pak to get the most out of. So the value of an N64 mini is significantly less for me. If it did happen, (and it probably would) I probably wouldn't be that tempted to buy it. (Well, unless I decide to mod a bunch of hard to play games on it, but that's beside the point)

As for a Game Boy Mini... Ehhh... My 3DS has pretty much most of the games I would want anyway.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dcubed said:

See, the reason why I can't see a Game Boy Mini happening is because... well...

Wikipedia_gameboy_micro.jpg

It already exists!

Yes, that’s exactly my point! The only selling point that a Game Boy Classic Mini would have is the recognizability of the hardware. But then again, making a smaller version of the original (being a handheld device) feels kinda besides the point.

Maybe they should only release Classic Mini versions of their consoles and make Classic Maxi (home console) versions of their handhelds :D

But seriously, as much as I love a bundle of the GB’s library, it just doesn’t make sense to me from a hardware point of view.

The N64’s Mini biggest issue remains licensing (especially Rare games) but I also agree that packing in two controllers seems problematic.

And what would your wishlists be for both if you could choose any 20 games released on both pieces of hardware?

My problem with the N64 Mini is that the only 64 games I would really care about would be the various wrestling titles and the rights for those will be a mess so I couldn't see them coming back :(

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

My problem with the N64 Mini is that the only 64 games I would really care about would be the various wrestling titles and the rights for those will be a mess so I couldn't see them coming back :(

This and what Glen said about the Rare games are why I wouldn't really be bothered about the N64 mini. Plus, I pretty much have all the games I want in original cartridge form anyway.

• Like 1

I think Nintendo will struggle to make a software emulator they’d be happy with on the hardware they’re already using for the NES/SNES Classic Mini.

Plus the Classic Controller interface doesn’t support rumble because of the additional power requirement. Not that all N64 games had rumble.

So I don’t think the N64 Classic Mini is a definite.

I could definitely rustle up a list of games I’d want to see on there avoiding any with obvious licensing issues.

• Like 1

Realistic predictions aside, and ignoring my GB wishlist for now, this would be my N64 Classic Mini top 30(ish) games list:

1. Mario 64

2. Ocarina of Time

3. Majora’s Mask

4. Mario Kart 64

5. Goldeneye

6. Yoshi’s Story

7. Banjo Kazooie

8. Banjo Tooie

9. Paper Mario

10. Lylat Wars

11. Wave Race 64

12. 1080 Snowboarding

13. F-Zero X

14. Excite Bike 64

15. Pilot Wings 64

16. Kirby and the Crystal Shards

17. Perfect Dark

18. Conker’s Bad Fur Day

19. Smash Bros

20. Diddy Kong Racing

21. Jet Force Gemini

22. Pokemon Snap

23. Blast Corps

24. Rogue Squadron

25. Mario Party

26. Mario Tennis

27. Pokemon Stadium

28. Donkey Kong 64

29. Mario Golf

30. Turok, Bomberman 64 or Shadows of the Empire

• Thanks 1

I think that if they were to do this, there'd only be ~15 games included.

Realistic Predictions:

1. Bomberman 64
  2. Castlevania Legacy of Darkness
  3. Donkey Kong 64
  4. Goemon's Great Adventure
  5. Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
  6. Mario Kart 64
  7. Namco Museum 64
  8. Paper Mario
  9. Pokemon Puzzle League
  10. Pokemon Snap
  11. Star Fox 64
  12. Super Mario 64
  13. Super Smash Bros
  14. The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time
  15. The Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask
  16. Yoshi's Story

Unrealistic Predictions:

• Animal Crossing
    • Never released outside Japan.  But as this was the game which ended up as the Animal Crossing on GameCube it means that there might be a translation already in existence.  This would make it a Classic Mini exclusive, like how StarFox 2 was on the SNES Classic.
  • Banjo-Kazooie
    • Microsoft have released Rare games on Nintendo platforms before though.  Might see this as easy money and advertising for future Banjo games?  But then Nintendo might also see it as advertising for a competing platform.
  • Diddy Kong Racing
    • Nintendo will favour Mario Kart 64 over this and I can't see them putting both on there.
  • Goldeneye
    • A legal nightmare.
  • Perfect Dark
    • Same as Banjo plus would increase the age rating.
  • Turok
    • Would make the package be 18 rated.

I think 1080, F-Zero, Mario Golf, Mario Tennis, Mario Party, Pilot Wings, Wave Race would all be missed purely so that Nintendo wouldn't be giving too much away for the price and because (other than the Mario games) there's no future instalments planned.

Edited by V. Amoleo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Agree with the above and I can easily see them only bundling one controller in the box with others being an added extra like the NES. 

All I want from a N64 Mini is Mystical Ninja and Tetrisphere. Anything else would be a bonus.

@V. Amoleo I don't think Animal Crossing is an unrealistic prediction, I think it will definitely be included if Nintendo end up making an N64 classic, they'll probably have Sin and Punishment on it too. 

All I want from a N64 Mini is.... Tetrisphere. Anything else would be a bonus.

I genuinely thought that I was the only person who owned that game.

• Like 1

I do think that Turok 1 & 2 are a possibility for an N64 mini; given that Nightdive Studios has the full rights locked down... but they might also just be content with having a Switch port of the remasters.

I don’t think the age rating would be a barrier per-say.  If Nintendo could secure the rights, you can bet your arse that they’d put Goldeneye and PD on a hypothetical N64 mini without a second thought.  If they were the only PEGI 16 games that they could secure though? It might be an issue? But then again, Sin & Punishment would already bring it up to a PEGI 12 rating, so it’s not far off the PEGI 16 rating anyway; and the target audience are primarily old school lapsed gamers anyway...

Edited by Dcubed

And we have our answer!

Spoiler

http://www.siliconera.com/2018/05/10/mini-famicom-getting-jump-50th-anniversary-version-different-games-july-7-japan/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

famicomminiclassicconsole01_thumb.jpg

It's the Famicom Mini again! This time with different games! Including Dragon Quest and a ton of Shonen Jump licenses!

Well that was unexpected! :o Will sell illegal amounts for sure!

Edited by Dcubed

Plot twist! Can't honestly say I expected that.

Dragon Quest means it's never coming out over here.

On 10/05/2018 at 1:26 PM, Glen-i said:

Plot twist! Can't honestly say I expected that.

Dragon Quest means it's never coming out over here.

So nothing to do with the licensed games that were never released outside of Japan? ;):p

Sad thing is that you're probably right. :( 

Rumour time.

The original tip we received states “The N64 Classic Edition is going to be shown after the smash announcements”. Now, this could mean one of two things…. either it will be shown at the end of the Super SmashBros Direct on November 1st, 2018 or it will be shown in a separate Direct later in the month of November. We would have been more sure on the first, but we do already have another leak from another very reliable source stating there will be two Nintendo Directs in November 2018. If we don’t see this on November 1st, expect it later in the month.

This is A-Grade bull.  And the guys on Resetera who believe this are on drugs.

They really think that Nintendo are gonna announce the N64 mini during the Smash Direct and release it within a month!? Really!? The SEGA Saturn strategy? Sure! That’ll work out I’m sure.

Just dump the N64 mini out there, with no marketing build-up towards release at all; up directly against the Playstation Mini.  Sure, that makes perfect sense.

And because that’s too believeable as it is, this thing supposedly includes 30 games! (Where the NES Mini has 30 and the SNES Mini has 21!) How much is this thing supposed to cost even!? It’s already going to be more expensive to have 4 controllers, more powerful hardware to emulate the N64 and more storage to store the bigger games! Let alone the value of having 30 games on the thing!

Hell, just for reference, the Wii U Virtual Console service only has 21 N64 games in total (and that includes 3rd party games!)

Oh, and not only that, this thing apparently includes all of Rare’s N64 games too! Including Goldeneye! You know, the game caught in the world’s most insane four-way copyright deadlock (between Nintendo, Microsoft, Activision AND Sony Pictures/MGM).  Sure, that sounds believable.

And on top of ALL of that, you also have to consider Nintendo Switch and its 20 million unit goal into the equation.  Do you think it makes sense for Nintendo to put out anything that could potentially compete against itself and prevent the Switch from reaching its lofty 20 million goal, when the company is betting everything on the Switch’s Xmas performance? No? Good, because I don’t either! Hell I’d sell my Switch for a product that unbelievably amazing!

This is not a rumour, it is a fanboy fever dream.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Sign in to follow this