NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Sméagol

The council

Another episodic point & click & talk adventure game in the vain of telltale games, Life is strange and Dreamfall chapters.

I bought this blind (the first Steam purchase in a long time), really I stubled upon this game while watching a let's play of Alan Wake on Youtube. It caught my eye immediately and it definitely looked like something up my alley, and after playing the first episode (it only just launched this month, so it's the only episode available), I can say it is. It seems to take the best parts of the mentioned games, and adds to that a little olfskkol RPG elements to it. You pick a class at the start of the game, one of three, and this determines what gameplay options you have available at the start. Though you are never locked out of anything permanently, you can unlock skills from other classes as well, it just takes some more effort. This seems to lead to plenty of little variations in gameplay, as there was plenty of stuff I had to miss because of the choices I made. Probably not a surprise if you're already reading this, but gameplay involves mostly talking and exploring, looking for clues and items, and some light puzzle solving. It does feel similar to Life is Strange or Dreamfall chapters, as opposed to Telltale games, as there is more freedom to explore and move. With the additioned of the aforementioned RPG elements. You're this guy who is invited to some island, where he's looking for his missing mother. Set in the 18th century, it has a similar vibe and even artstyle as Dishonored, though without the Steampunk, and using actual historical characters. I love the atmosphere and intrigue. Only downside so far is the sometimes questionable voice acting. But if they keep this up, this is going to be great.

• Like 1

I've been keeping an eye on this for the last week or so since it released and it's definitely piqued my interest. Like the style of it and glad to hear it plays more akin to LiS and Dreamfall Chapters than the TellTales. It's been received well and has done well with reviews so think I'll be giving it a go sooner rather than later. Just wish they'd give some indication of the release schedule for episodes. If it's a 4-6 week wait then that's not too bad but I'd just like that bit of info (unless I've missed it myself and it's already been announced).

Has reminded me that I need to get back to Dreamfall Chapters tho. I bought the physical release and started it but it kind of fell by the wayside after the prison escape right at the start. I'll have to put it on my list for the coming weeks and start it again as I remember waiting so long for it to come to consoles and couldn't wait to play it so need to remedy that.

But yeah, looking forward to trying this soon as it looks and sounds interesting.

Sign in to follow this