NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

Yakuza Kiwami 2 (28th August 2018)

Started playing this yesterday and suprise surprise, I’m really enjoying it. :hehe: Up to chapter 4 so far and the refinements to the game engine since Yakuza 6 are very clear, no more screen tearing when using the first person view now. :cool: 

Just discovered the Toylets minigame. :D Literally spent the last 30 minutes just making Kiryu drink loads so he could keep going for a piss! :laughing: 

Gotta love the Yakuza series. 

• Thanks 1

Wasn’t quite sure where to stick this...so I guess I’ll stick it in here?

During yesterday's SEGA-Nama stream, Toshihiro Nagoshi revealed that Yakuza Studio’s new IP will be announced next month, with it being prepared to be a big part of SEGA’s Tokyo Game Show presence, with a stage show that will take place from the 19th to the 23rd. Nagoshi-san also revealed that this will game be very different to Yakuza, and has been in the making for three years; whether that means three years of development or a mixture of planning and development is currently unclear. 

• Like 1

The golf minigame is ridiculously hard. Is there something I'm missing? Even hitting the meter dead centre, my shots often swerve. Never going to impress Haruka on the golf bingo at this rate...

Finally went back to Kiwami 2 today. According to the date on my last save I haven’t played it since January. No wonder I felt a bit lost in the story.

• Like 2

After seeing that crazy summon in Yakzua 7 (as seen in the Yakuza 7 thread) I figured it was time to sit down and play through this game. I started off by watching all of the catch up cutscenes that the game offered at the cemetery. I thought this was a great touch and a good way to recap the story for those who had forgot what happened in the first game. I remember most of the stuff that went on but there were a couple of minor details that I forgot, so it was nice to get a refresher.

I'm only a few chapters in but already i've fell in love with the characters and story. Kiryu was to be one of the most likeable protagonists in any game. The guy is so nice and charming but at the same time doesn't just sit back and get pushed around. There's a sadness to him and I often feel sorry for him as he takes responsibility for a lot of things due to his honour to the clan. What a guy. 

I spent a fair bit of time in Club Sega. I was sat for Ages ( :p )  playing the amazing version of Virtua Fighter 2 that is in this game. I forgot how brutally hard that game can be when you can't lower the difficulty level. I didn't manage to beat it and with it being the start of the game I didn't want to throw loads more cash into the machine in order to progress. I'm looking forward to trying out Virtual On once I secure more funds.

I had a good laugh during a fight scene. Some guy approached me and was saying how I was cocky and he didn't like me strutting around like a peacock. I could either reply by apologising or say " I peacocked you mum". Needless to say I went with the latter option. :D 

The introduction scene to Ryuji was fantastic. Not as good as Majima but still very good and very tense. When Kiryu calls him the Dragon of Kansai and then you set about his men was great. I can kind of gather from the opening flashback scene who Ryuji may be ( could be totally wrong ) but I can't wait to see how things play out.

Yup, it's great to be back into the world of Yakuza. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I put some more time into the game last night and managed to squeeze in a quick session this morning.

Spoiler

The Ryuji boss fight took some doing. Even at full health I had a hard time bringing him down...that was until I realised I hadn't put any of my experience points to good use and just had them sitting there. Once I poured a bunch of them into attack, defence and health I then went on to pummel him. :D 

I've done a few side missions, one of which was an old guy who kept giving me 100,000 yen every time I met him. I thought this was easy money and i'd put it to good use. That was until I needed to splash a bunch of it on a main quest in order to progress the story. I guess that's why you run into the old man in the first place. Doing his side mission had me playing Virtua Fighter 2 again and it was here that I seen that there is actually an arcade machine that is set to easy difficulty. I gave this one a go but still got stuck on Pai. :p 

I'm still loving the story. Once again Kiryu seems to be getting dragged into everyone else's war/problems. Poor guy even got dragged into a hostess bar and now has to manage the thing. I'm now having to scout out some talent for the place in order for it to compete in some tournament. Speaking of women in the game, I done a main mission and the game told me I had to wait around for a while. First place I went? One of those DVD stores. :laughing:  I was disappointed that the game doesn't put on a show like Yakuza 0 did. Sad times. :( 

• Like 3

Another day, another update. I've now reached chapter 8 of the game.

Spoiler

I was very confused when I got to the roof of the building only to find that not only had Date chased Kazuki there but now there were two of them! What the hell? Date not wanting to fire just reminded me of that scene in Loaded Weapon 1 where Sam Jackson is trying to shoot someone but he can't due to what happened in his past. :D 

source.gif

The Koreans now being involved has added another enemy to the mix of things and i'm interested in seeing how they tie in with what Ryuji is planning.

I loved the Majima construction mini game. It's totally a tower defence game and i'm worried that if I start playing it that I will get completely sucked in to the gameplay loop of building up my squad, finding new hires and taking on various challenges. I imagine it's a meaty game on its own and I don't want to stick hours into yet. I may take a look at it once I finish the story.

The whole scene that played after the Majima game puzzled me though. How is it that people in that city don't know who Majima and Kiryu are? The both of them are very famous Yakuza guys and people should be pegging it as soon as they see the both of them, not picking a fight with them.

Here's another moan about Majima's character change and one that i'll continue to do with every Yakuza game I play. :p I've looked up countless threads across different boards and there's still no clear cut answer as to why he's a full on nut job now. It's all just theories and speculation. I would love a sidestory to explain just what the hell happened to him between 0 and 1. There have been little hints of the calm and collected Majima in a couple of conversations i've had with him though. I just want the old Majima back. :( 

• Like 1

I think they just did a bad job with Majima in 0. This crazy guy is Majima. As awesome as he is in 0, its just too much of a difference and the explanation of him meeting a few people that apparently inspired him to live in the moment and not hold back was weak as hell.

• Thanks 1

The SOBs!!! :mad:

Spoiler

They've just beat the hell out of Majima. He took them all out but dude is in a right state. :( I'm fuming right now. I'm heading back to Tojo HQ and I'm gonna go wreck whoever is waiting there for me. Revenge for Majima will be had!!

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

I reached chapter 11 early this morning. The main story is still as gripping as ever but I have taken some time out of it to concentrate on building up my stats and clear some sub-stories. Yeah, I still hate these things. They are just far too daft/stupid for my liking and i've found my tolerance for these kinds of things has lowered significantly over the past couple of years. There was one mission that involved fighting off a bunch of blokes dressed as babies. ::shrug: I've just been skipping most of these cutscenes, finishing the mission and then moving on to the next. I'm not that far off from maxing my main stats so I think i'll do a spot of exp/cash grinding and then continue the story. I imagine i'll have the game finished once I put some time into it over the weekend.

• Thanks 1

Glad to hear that you're still enjoying the Yakuza games @Hero-of-Time :D

I don't know if you alreayd knew but it looks like you can now pre-order the standard edition of Yakuza Remastered Collection.

https://www.thegamecollection.net/yakuza-remastered-collection-ps4-26565/?sqr=yakuza&

The listing for the day 1 edition is seperate and is priced at £0.00 now which usually means that edition is sold out so the other version should be a standard case. :)

I still might wait though, just to be sure... I ordered a 'standard' copy of Monster Hunter World: Iceborne and that turned out to be the steelbook but I just got a display box for that.

Looking forward to playing some more of these games this year hopefully.

• Thanks 1

I may as well just quote and edit my earlier post.

On January 22, 2020 at 7:01 PM, Hero-of-Time said:

The SOB!!! :mad:

Spoiler

Some son of a bitch has just shanked Kiryu! Dude has walked off and now Kiryu is bleeding out. :( 

giphy.gif

:D 

Edited by Hero-of-Time

I finished the game this morning.

Spoiler

As expected, Ryuji was the kid at the start of the game but I was surprised that  Kaoru turned out to be his half sister.

Another surprise was Terada showing up at the end. That was a twist I didn't see coming at all. Although it was obvious the bomb was a dud due to the piece falling out of his jacket when he was shot.

I loved Ryuji. I thought he was a great antagonist. The fact that he kept wanting to fight Kiryu in a fair fight and not cheat his victory was great. Dude had a sense of honour about him, despite being a bit of a psycho.

Oh, and the bomb scene with Majima was hilarious. Him just randomly cutting wires in order to defuse it had me laughing away.

Hell of a game. There were so many good characters in this one and while Zero is still the king, I do think this one is better than the first game. This series is just utterly fantastic and so happy I got into it. I'm now all ready for when the remaster collection hits and I can't wait to continue the story.

Speaking of the next game, one of the side stories I came across was about a movie called Yakuza Sunset 3. It was about how the fans hated it and it nearly killed the series off. I'm going to assume this was a nod to the third Yakuza game. I know many fans peg it was the worst of the series and this was a poke at them. It will be interesting to see where I stand on it.

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Like 3

I have a soft spot for Yakuza 3 as it was my first Yakuza game but it definitely is the weakest that I've played.

Sign in to follow this