NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

Yakuza Kiwami 2 (28th August 2018)

Oh nice! :bouncy:

I often see 2 regarded as the best in the series, so it’s great this’ll be making the jump overseas too. :) Now I just need them to make a Kiwami 3 (I started playing at Yakuza 4) and I’ll have played all of the mainline games. :hehe:

I own all of them but have only completed Zero, Kiwami 1 and 3. I started 4 but didn’t get too far in so I’m really enjoying being able to go back to these. I’ll probably play 6 then go back to 3, then play Kiwami 2. The optimal Yakuza order lol.

• Haha 1

Yes! Will buy, day one, now I just need 3, 4 and 5 to be released/remade physically on PS4 and I will play them all. :)

• Like 1

I am very happy with this news. I really enjoyed 0. Need to buy 1 and 6!

It's great that we're getting all these Yakuza games, but if they're going to keep releasing two of them a year, I'm never going to catch up.

Don't think I'll bother this time. I'll just wait for the full game. Its not like I need convincing lol.

• Haha 1

Cancelled my preorder. I've decided to focus on Shenmue I & II for now and then get it later. Saves me a bit of money as well which I could use at the moment.

3 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Cancelled my preorder. I've decided to focus on Shenmue I & II for now and then get it later. Saves me a bit of money as well which I could use at the moment.

Who have you gone with for Shenmue? Simply, Shopto, Base?

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Who have you gone with for Shenmue? Simply, Shopto, Base?

The Game Collection

There's a huge interview with Toshihiro Nagoshi in this months Edge magazine. A few bits from it are doing the rounds around the internet.

On Yakuza...

It became difficult for Japanese companies to compete with western games of high quality and big budgets (...) if we wanted to do, it would have to be sports, or military, or fantasy (...)and it would need to release worldwide. (...) since everyone was thinking the same things, everyone was making similar games (laughs).
But I thought it wasn't right to follow that direction. So, first, I abandoned the idea of selling worldwide. Next, I decided I wouldn't mind if female players didn't like the game; then that no children were allowed. When I decided all that, the only target left was the japanese male.

My bosses took some convincing. I did a presentation twice, and didn't get approval. (...)
Sega was struggling for cash and was very close to bankruptcy, so it merged with Sammy. As soon as it happened, I went to see the new owner and presented the game to him, looking for his approval. Professionally, this was highly irregular and quite wrong. But I knew if the owner said "yes", it would be good for the entire company. (...)
I got his approval, but our CEO was really mad about it (laughs). He said it was unfair.

I'm often asked how I did all the research, but it's Japanese culture (...) but I did some of my own, yes. I like drinking. I also like women. I was having lots of fun in my life for a long time - whether to shake off my stress from work, or deepen the connection with my subordinates. (...) I learned a lot of interesting stories from the people I met. And some surprising stories, and some sad ones. They became elements of Yakuza's story. The name Kiryu is one of them (...). I often do that in my games - I use the name of a person I liked or who looked after me well. I still do that today.

On Super Monkey Ball’s creation…

Around that time our CEO kept changing, and the newest one asked me why making games cost so much money. I told him we couldn’t do it any cheaper, but at the same time I was quite upset about it. I decided to make a game with minimum resource, minimum time and minimum budget.

(…) Looking back, that’s no way to work (laughs). But there are some huge fans of this game. When we gave up on making hardware, we knew the Gamecube was coming, and when it would be launched. We didn’t think we had enough time to get a game ready for release day, but (…) Super Monkey Ball came to mind. I think we had ten people on the game, maybe less. We made it just in time somehow

On F-Zero GX…

Compared to us, in the big picture, we are similar. But in the finer details – their decision-making and timing – things are different, and I learned a lot from them. In short, it’s about objectivity. (…) It’s hard to describe, but when I’d say about some part of the game, “It’s okay like this, isn’t it?” they’d say, “Our company does not allow this kind of thing. Ever.” I didn’t manage to change their minds about anything. Not even once. But that’s why Nintendo has such a solid brand, even after all these years. That is why we lost the hardware war.

I really liked the Super Famicom game, and while we made a few proposals – Metroid for instance, and others – I was most confident in making a driving game because of my experience in the genre, though I’d never make a sci-fi one.

Even though we’d lost the war in the hardware market, I wanted Nintendo to see how great Sega was as a company. We made lots of characters and courses, and we did the best we could for the graphics using the best technology of the time.

Even though we’d tried really hard making games for Sega hardware, they never sold too well, but F-Zero sold over 1.5 M copies worldwide. We realised the only thing we needed to admit was that Sega did not have the ability to sell hardware (laughs). That as a developer (…) we did not need to be pessimistic at all.

After it released, I got a call from Nintendo. They said they wanted to see all the source code for the game, and wanted me to explain how we’d made that game, in that timeframe and with that budget, in detail. They were wondering how we’d done it – they couldn’t figure it out. We were able to achieve something a lot higher than what Nintendo had expected.

On pitching Yakuza to Nintendo…

I’ve never said this before, but while we released this game with Sony, I’d done presentations about it to Microsoft and Nintendo. Back then they said “No we don’t want it.” Now they say, “We want it!” (laughs) They didn’t understand the reason why I created it.

The Yakuza quote is interesting. He has actually mentioned this before.

"At the beginning of the project we spoke to all the platform holders including Sony and Microsoft," he said, "Every platform holder was negative about this prospect, but we kept on pushing because we believed in the potential, and as we kept going one platform holder that showed interest and saw the prospects of this title was Sony."

I found it hilarious the other month when Nintendo fans were kicking off about his comments regarding Switch ports of the Yakuza series. Many uninformed Nintendo fans picked up the news and were unfairly calling him out, attributing the whole thing to another 3rd party just disrespecting their platform of choice. This new interview once again this highlights why he favours Sony's platforms. The other two platformer holders didn't believe in his idea but now that it has gained popularity they want a piece of the action. You can see why he hesitant to release the games on other platforms. TBH, i'd be the same. Why give them the game when they wanted nothing to do with it in the first place?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The Dragon of Dojima is back! Man, I can't wait to get my hands on this. 

Edited by Hero-of-Time

Finally got round to ordering Yakuza 0! Am I right in thinking I should play the original Kiwami game from last year before buying 2?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Goron_3 said:

Finally got round to ordering Yakuza 0! Am I right in thinking I should play the original Kiwami game from last year before buying 2?

Yeah. 0 then Kiwami and then Kiwami 2. 

Looking forward to reading your thoughts on 0. Give the thread a bump once you start playing it.

3 minutes ago, Goron_3 said:

You are correct, this is the current path I'm following as well, starting with Zero, then onto Kiwami, Kiwami 2 and then hopefully later on we'll get those re-releases of Yakuza 3, 4 & 5 so that everyone can get caught up so that they can then play Yakuza 6. :D

I'm currently only a few hours into Zero so let us know when you start playing it, I may get back on the Yakuza train sooner than planned inbetween playing Monster Hunter. :)

I finished 0 the other day and was genuinely sad when it ended. What a fantastic game.

• Like 3

I'm hoping that by the time I finish Yakuza 0 and Kiwami, that Kiwami 2 will finally be available in a standard PS4 box as opposed to the (albeit lovely) steelbook. :)

10 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

I'm hoping that by the time I finish Yakuza 0 and Kiwami, that Kiwami 2 will finally be available in a standard PS4 box as opposed to the (albeit lovely) steelbook. :)

I'll be trading mine in as soon as i'm done and then waiting for the standard box version to arrive. :D 

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this