NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

Shadow of the Tomb Raider ( 14th Sept 2018 )

The game is set to be revealed tomorrow.

trrknqa7.jpg

The release date has already been found. :D 

Surprised MS haven't tried to tie this down again; saying that I'm not sure just how well Rise did for them numbers wise, so may be it wasn't worth it.

Either way, it's better for the series if it's multiplatform, hopefully do some good business in spite of the mediocre film reviews coming in...

Loved Tomb Raider, have yet to start Rise of the Tomb Raider. With my speed I am ready for Shadow of the Tomb Raider by the time it is 50% off on Steam. :grin:

• Haha 1

Loved both Tomb Raider and Rise, so will definitely be interested in this. :D

Be interesting to see the direction that they take with this entry. 

Can't wait! Square Enix and Crystal Dynamics have really done a good job with rebooting the series. Really enjoyed Tomb Raider and Rise, and as a PC gamer, I'm really glad the game goes multiplatform from day 1 this time around.

14 hours ago, Kaepora_Gaebora said:

Surprised MS haven't tried to tie this down again; saying that I'm not sure just how well Rise did for them numbers wise, so may be it wasn't worth it.

I think it was a big flop for Microsoft. Apparently they paid around 20 million dollars for it to be exclusive for a year and it didn't pay off at all, especially when a lot of gamers were happy to wait for it to release on PS4/PC. I think Microsoft clearly overvalued the TR brand at the time. I don't think S-E would have been happy with the sales achieved either. It didn't help that in both cases when it was released it had to go up against the other big games of the Winter season. I'm sure Microsoft/S-E decided to launch it on the same day as the new Fallout game, which was just suicide.

• Thanks 1

There's talk that this one isn't being developed by Crystal Dynamics, but rather Eidos Montreal (or at least one of the Eidos studios) as CD are tied up with the Avengers game. Not sure if/how that'll impact the game but hopefully not at all.

Looking forward to it. The wait for Rise on anything other than the Xbox was excruciating but I thought it was worth it as I really enjoyed the game. It did seem a little condensed and towards the end followed a similar routine so I'm hoping that there's something different with the ancient culture they showcase and not these immortal soldier things again. More tombs and less waves of enemies please.

They really can’t keep a lid on it, can they? The cover looks pretty cool (anyone else getting Mortal Kombat vibes?), but editions seems a bit on the excessive side...

phexkyhbbau01.jpg

Just a quick reminder that more news is expected to drop today. I’ve heard it mentioned (literally, I heard it in a podcast) that there are videos going up by a number of news sites today ::shrug:

A number of impressions videos are also up: 

Edited by Julius Caesar

original.jpg

original.jpg

Thanks for the easy choice. The definite edition for cheap in 2-3 years :)

Edited by drahkon

24 minutes ago, drahkon said:

original.jpg

original.jpg

Thanks for the easy choice. The definite edition for cheap in 2-3 years :)

Always great to see that S-E haven’t learned a damned thing from their past mistakes. Again. 

I think there’s a time and a place for news on DLC/season passes, especially when it comes to games with a single-player narrative focus, and now is most certainly not that time. 

When will they ever learn? ::shrug:

I think what's more ridiculous is that they bigged up a reveal for today and put out a CG trailer as to fill that purpose. Sure, there are hands on impressions coming out and some screenshots doing the rounds but for the last game in the trilogy, with a release 5 months out and no official gameplay until E3, it's a poor show from Square Enix. They'd have been better waiting for E3 or just putting out a short gameplay trailer as a CG one does nothing for the final game in the reboot series.

I'm still interested but that gameplay reveal had better be good at E3 as there's bound to be plenty of other big reveals, especially at Microsoft's conference where I guess this will be shown.

Really looking forward to this, day 1 for me. Not bothered about the DLC or collector's editions, the base game suits me fine.

Ouch.  I still can't get over the hold-up with RoTTR on PS4.  And it seems with this, Square still have not learned.  There's plenty of games coming from September onwards, i can wait for a cheaper edition down the line.  Should have announced the season pass around launch, gives an impression that content was not ripped from the game to be sold back to us.

Was there any DLC for the other two games? If so, I don't think I bothered with it. I'm just in it for the main experience, really.

Yeah there was DLC. I bought both games on Steam in a sale including the season pass. Only played TR, and I didn't really know which part was dlc and which part was not. I think some of the costumes and some of the tombs were dlc but they felt like part of the main game for me. So I cannot judge if they really added something.

14 hours ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

Was there any DLC for the other two games? If so, I don't think I bothered with it. I'm just in it for the main experience, really.

Rise had a few extra missions and a tour of Croft Manor as the DLC, which those on PS4 got in the Game of the Year edition.

How does this look graphically less impressive than the 2013 reboot on previous gen hardware?

Is it because of Eidos' involvement in development this time? Crystal Dynamics was approaching Naughty Dog levels of sheen back then.

Edited by dwarf

Visually, the game is looking great but I'm yet to feel the hype for this. Perhaps it's because of how they fluffed the reveal of the game or perhaps it's to do with the messaging about "becoming the tomb raider" again. From the sounds of hands on impressions from the likes of the EZA guys, it's shaping up to play well and be solid gameplay wise but it's the story that might but what drags it down a bit.

I'm hoping it ends up being good as I really enjoyed both of the previous entries. I'll be picking it up regardless it's just whether I'll be picking it up at launch or waiting a little to get it if reviews aren't quite as good as I'd like. That latter point is especially pertinent given the release schedule for the end of the year; if it doesn't quite hit all the notes then there's plenty other games to play first while I wait on this. Hopefully it'll be the former point as this is probably my main game for the end of the year outside of Spyro and maybe Red Dead Redemption 2 (though I didn't care much for the first one so not entirely sure where I stand with the second, I've just not seen enough to make my mind up yet).

Launching with Game Pass? Looks that way.

OwWk1ri.jpg

Edit: Looks like it's not the case. It's just been laid out to give the impression that it is.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

I'm still planning on waiting until i see it cheaper, which may not be too long based on opinions i've read.  I'll play it, as it'll complete the trilogy.  But more than happy to wait a while.

Sign in to follow this