NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Glen-i

Smash Bros Switch Roster Prediction Competition

You see, @Julius Caesar, I was reading through your predictions, and they all got me thinking "Yeah, they're in the realm of possibility" But then I got to that last one.

My thoughts quickly turned to "Huh... That one is a bit of a reach." And then you said he'd replace Cloud.

tumblr_np8d3g3NdC1re3x32o1_400.gif

Yeah, I can't board that train of thought. Cloud is Mr. Final Fantasy. After Smash 4 proved it's a possibility. It's either him or no-one. It's like replacing Marth with Alm. I also find it strange to even have 2 Final Fantasy reps when Square have so many liked IP's under their belt. (I would have totally predicted Kingdom Hearts' Sora if Disney wasn't a factor)

Good list though and not just because it has Dillon (Only mostly because of Dillon)

Edited by Glen-i
  • Haha 3

39 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

You see, @Julius Caesar, I was reading through your predictions, and they all got me thinking "Yeah, they're in the realm of possibility" But then I got to that last one.

My thoughts quickly turned to "Huh... That one is a bit of a reach." And then you said he'd replace Cloud.

tumblr_np8d3g3NdC1re3x32o1_400.gif

Yeah, I can't board that train of thought. Cloud is Mr. Final Fantasy. After Smash 4 proved it's a possibility. It's either him or no-one. It's like replacing Marth with Alm. I also find it strange to even have 2 Final Fantasy reps when Square have so many liked IP's under their belt. (I would have totally predicted Kingdom Hearts' Sora if Disney wasn't a factor)

Good list though and not just because it has Dillon (Only mostly because of Dillon)

I actually completely agree with you when it comes to a lot of your points about Noctis. With FFVII Remake coming up in around fifty years, perhaps Cloud will make a return — but I think that, even if he did, Noctis remains a possibility for a number of reasons.

The main reason is just how much time and money SE pooled into XV, and how they want to milk the entry for all that it’s worth to recoup a lot of that cost (we’re seeing it already with the DLC season passes, already having a Royal Edition that comes with only the first year of DLC added on, etc.). Utilising Noctis in such a way so that he brings more attention to XV and any potential spin-off games would be a smart angle for SE to pursue, I think. I just don’t think that a lot of the other Final Fantasy protagonists are as marketable as Noctis is (maybe Lightning or Zidane?), and I think that the potential financial benefit to SE could outweigh all the other possible characters they might have otherwise wanted in the game. 

Maybe they could throw Sephiroth in there (which would be pretty awesome!), but I don’t see many Square Enix properties having much of a chance beyond Final Fantasy. Dragon Quest, for instance, would be at a sizeable disadvantage due to its poor performances in the West when compared with Final Fantasy, and wouldn’t be helped along by the majority of the franchise’s protagonists lacking a recognisable, canonical name. Crono from Chrono Trigger also seems pretty unlikely due to the dormancy of that particular franchise. As you’ve already mentioned, Sora seems unlikely due to how much of a mess negotiations would likely be due to Disney’s involvement with Kingdom Hearts. Maybe one of the Bravely Default characters could make it in, but it doesn’t seem all that likely to me, to be honest. 

I agree that Cloud is very clearly the Final Fantasy guy, but I really think that it’s worth noting that he was revealed after the announcement of Final Fantasy VII Remake at E3 2015, which makes it likely that his inclusion in SSB4 was as something of a [very successful] marketing tool. I’m not sure if they would have been so keen to allow Cloud to be included were it not for Remake having already been revealed, so I think they might approach the new Smash - and who they allow to present them in it - could be determined in a similar fashion. 

Edited by Julius Caesar
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Julius Caesar said:

I’m not sure if they would have been so keen to allow Cloud to be included were it not for Remake having already been revealed, so I think they might approach the new Smash - and who they allow to present them in it - could be determined in a similar fashion. 

I see where you're coming from, but there's one other aspect that needs to be taken into account, and that's Sakurai himself. Namco wanted Pac-Man to have the modern look, but he was having none of it. He wanted old-school Pac-Man or no Pac-Man at all, and he got his way.

He's very stubborn when it comes to what he wants in his games. (Which can be a good or bad thing) I could totally believe Square coming along saying "How about Lightning? She's pretty popular" and Sakurai just thinking for a bit and saying "Nah, I want Cloud or no-one."

That said, granted he bought something new to Smash with his moveset, I wouldn't be upset with Noctis.

• Like 1

Stage idea: Hype Train.  One of those constant moving levels whereby after 20 seconds a Nintendo Direct logo pops up randomly, knocking characters off stage.  It all gets frantic as everyone tries to grab power ups based on franchises/expectations people always wildly speculate about, before ultimately they all come crashing down and cause damage.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

Found this and honestly thought of this thread. It's...Amazing...Now it's something I would love to see :'3 Don't you just love it when laughable ideas turn into something amazing...Then you just want to cry knowing there's a snowball's chance in hell it'll happen?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

The only thing that bugs me is that they didn't put a Final Smash in there. Bet that person plays with no items...

Anyway, Rhythm Heaven has such a wide variety of wacky characters that I'm sure you'd be spoiled for choice to make a moveset with.

After playing more of Kirby I've decided I want Rick in every Nintendo game. 

350?cb=20120627075127&path-prefix=en

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hamtaro, I mean Rick, could be a great Assist Trophy or item in Smash.

When he pops into play you can jump on his back and start his shananigans.

• Like 1

I can easily see @Julius Caesar's suggestion of Steve from Minecraft happen, if Xbox plays nice that is. Would be a huge get for Smash, given the popularity of the game.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Ronnie said:

I can easily see @Julius Caesar's suggestion of Steve from Minecraft happen, if Xbox plays nice that is. Would be a huge get for Smash, given the popularity of the game.

There are so many hoops to jump through with a Microsoft character though. Would it be worth the hassle? It's a whole different ball park to the other 3rd Party characters.

That's not even getting to the likely outcome that older Ninty fans would much rather have Banjo, due to the deeper ties to Nintendo.

Steve would appeal more to the younger demographic while Banjo would appease the long time fans. It would be a surprisingly tough decision from a business perspective.

From a pure business perspective adding Steve would be the smarter move.

But then again, as would adding Goku or Christiano Ronaldo. Or Batman or Hulk, I could go on but you get the point.

I sure hope Nintendo stays true to its roots with Smash and doesn’t open the door further than with Snake, Ryu and Cloud who all felt more of a stretch than Pac Man, Mega Man and Sonic.

It could go either way, but my gut feeling tells me Layton, Phoenix Wright, Rabbid (Mario/Peach), a Tetroid, Q-bert, Simon Belmont, Rayman, Banjo, Crash Bandicoot and Spyro have the biggest chance of getting added to the Third Party roster.

Steve definitely the smarter business move, for both Nintendo and Microsoft. Banjo in Smash would earn Nintendo a handful of points from long time fans, but the game is already full of fan service. Steve would target a new demographic of younger gamers that maybe haven't grown up with their systems. And anything that makes Minecraft even bigger than it already is would be a win for Microsoft.

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

Steve definitely the smarter business move, for both Nintendo and Microsoft. Banjo in Smash would earn Nintendo a handful of points from long time fans, but the game is already full of fan service. Steve would target a new demographic of younger gamers that maybe haven't grown up with their systems. And anything that makes Minecraft even bigger than it already is would be a win for Microsoft.

Isn't that the entire unique selling point? I don't think it's possible to have too much fanservice in Smash.

I agree it would make more sense business-wise, but this game is all about the fanservice, and Minecraft characters don't fit that bill for the game's target audience. If Nintendo is going to make a deal with Microsoft for one character, it's going to be Banjo. I suspect a lot of fans are going to riot if some Minecraft character is going to make it in before Banjo. At least I will.

Edit:

Ah this is the roster prediction thread.. I'll post a list later and move what I had posted here to the other thread.

Edited by Sméagol

Nintendo's E3 is about 4 days away now.

And there's absolutely no doubt that new Smash characters will be shown off there.

So here's your reminder. The moment a new (or returning cut character) character gets revealed, you will no longer be able to submit or edit your Smash predictions.

And then the games begin!

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Ashley said:

RICK! RICK! RICK!

654.gif

Is that really Rick? I mean, Rick is a hamster and that totally looks like a cat to me.

Also, Kirby is totally making a "I need an adult" face.

Yeah, I was about to say, that's not Hamster Rick, that's Nago the Cat. He's from Kirby's Dream Land 3.

Rick's better, tho

20 minutes ago, Jonnas said:

Yeah, I was about to say, that's not Hamster Rick, that's Nago the Cat. He's from Kirby's Dream Land 3.

Rick's better, tho

I thought so. Nago shows up in Star Allies as part of the Cleaning Copy Ability.

As someone who just beat Kirby Star Allies, Rick is crazy fun to play as. Mostly because he's completely OP.

Yeah I know it isn't him, but look how excited he is at the thought of playing as Rick!

Plus it's cute and I had to share so whatever. Deal with it like Kirby is - begrudgingly.

Although more seriously, I expect Rabbid Peach to feature in some capacity in the game.

• Haha 2

On 09/06/2018 at 2:16 AM, Ashley said:

Although more seriously, I expect Rabbid Peach to feature in some capacity in the game.

I was just thinking Rabbid Mario was a more likely candidate as a Ubisoft representation, as opposed to Rayman. Yeah I think I'd love Rabbid Peach even more. And we're definitely getting some Ubisoft representation.

5 hours ago, Sméagol said:

I was just thinking Rabbid Mario was a more likely candidate as a Ubisoft representation, as opposed to Rayman. Yeah I think I'd love Rabbid Peach even more. And we're definitely getting some Ubisoft representation.

I wouldn't be surprised if both, but Peach seems to have become more of a 'breakout star' of the game and is featured in the upcoming DLC. 

Maybe they'll have a Pokémon Trainer like character where you swap between several. 

9 minutes ago, Ashley said:

I wouldn't be surprised if both, but Peach seems to have become more of a 'breakout star' of the game and is featured in the upcoming DLC. 

Maybe they'll have a Pokémon Trainer like character where you swap between several. 

Yeah that actually makes a lot of sense. Being a mix between Ice climbers and Pokémon trainer. Having all three of them (if we're going down this route anyway) together makes a lot of sense regarding their moveset. Team jump would be the recovery move, and you need at least 2 of them on screen for that. Plus they each obviously have their own quirks and weapons. Yeah now I really want this.

• Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this