NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Glen-i

Smash Bros Switch Roster Prediction Competition

So I totally didn't see this on ResetEra, think it sounded like fun and shamelessly nick it for N-Europe use.

With the Switch version of Smash Bros officially announced in the latest Direct, there's no doubt going to be a steady stream of trailers revealing new characters for the game. Good old Smash hype, you know? So I want to get this going before we know too much about it.

I'd like you peeps to predict which characters you think will be playable in the next Smash Bros.

When more info starts coming out, we can then compare each others answers and see who is the most grounded in reality and who is right up there in crazy fantasy land. Here's what you should do.

• Post your list of Smash Bros. Newcomers. Preferably in a numbered list.
  • For each character you successfully predict, you get one point. For every one you get wrong, you lose a point.
  • The difference between the amount of newcomers you predict and the number there actually are will also be deducted from your score. (So if there's 15 newcomers, but you predicted 18, you lose 3 points)
  • Whoever gets the most points wins! Whoever gets a positive score gets major bragging rights.
  • For possible tie breakers, please also list 3 new stages you predict as well.

Rules

1. There is no fixed amount to how many characters you can predict, just remember about the penalty you get for being off when it comes to the number of characters.
  2. Don't bother listing characters that are playable in the 3DS and WiiU versions of Smash, let's just assume they're in for now. Otherwise, we'll have lists of over 50 characters all over the place. Also, we already know that Inkling and Breath of the Wild Link is in, so don't bother with them.
  3. Characters from previous games that were cut in the 3DS/WiiU versions are fair game. So you can put in Ice Climbers, Squirtle and Snake if you wanted.
  4. Characters from future games are fine. So saying a Generation 8 Pokemon is perfectly OK.
  5. If you think a character will be able to transform or effectively change character mid-battle, you can list them as Character/Character (For example, Zelda/Sheik). If you think a character will function much like Pokemon Trainer in Brawl, then say which characters you think they'd utilise. (For example, Pokemon Trainer [Charizard/Squirtle/Ivysaur]). Just like other characters, you'll get a point for each one you get right. So if only Zelda was in but not Sheik, you'd get 1 point and lose one point, cancelling each other out.
  6. No editing your post once the next character reveal happens, you gotta commit!
  7. It'd be great if you explained why you think a character has a chance/would be a good candidate for Smash. It'd be nice to get a bit of conversation/arguments going on here as well. Doesn't have to be big, just a sentence or two.
  8. If DLC gets announced for this game, then I'll go back and see who wins after we know who gets in through that.

Think that about covers it, so I'll get the ball rolling. Brackets indicate the series they're from.

My Smash Newcomers

1. Ice Climbers (Ice Climber) - These guys were cut from the latest Smash because of issues with the 3DS version. That's not a problem this time.
  2. Wolf (Star Fox) - We've technically had 2 new Star Fox games since the last Smash Bros. So why not bring back Fox's rival? The fact he was in Brawl would help streamline the process of getting him in.
  3. Paper Mario (Paper Mario) - Honestly, I'm amazed he's still not in. Paper Mario is still kicking with games coming out on both the 3DS and WiiU. There's potential there, plus he got a stage in the 3DS Smash.
  4. Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong Country) - I think we're due for a new Donkey Kong Rep, and while I'd love K.Rool to get in, I think Dixie is much more likely.
  5. Yarn Poochy (Yoshi Series) - Bit of a weird one this, but Yoshi's Woolly World did pretty well and everyone fell in love with Poochy. Would have a moveset based around the wool mechanics in both Yoshi and Kirby's Epic Yarn. Also would be the cutest character in Smash history.
  6. Decidueye (Pokemon) - There are many Pokemon from Sun and Moon I think are way better choices, but this seems the most likely. It's popular, and is a grass type, which compliments Charizard and Greninja. Sorry, Alolan Marowak, I still want you in.
  7. Fire Emblem Switch Protaganist (Fire Emblem) - Moan all you like, but Japan loves their Fire Emblem, and so does Sakurai.
  8. Rex (Xenoblade) - Xenoblade 2 seems to have been quite successful. Rex could utilise some interesting mechanics with Pyra, much like Shulk did with his Monado. Also, more British voices in Smash is a good thing.
  9. Chorus Kids (Rhythm Heaven) - One of those characters that almost made the Smash WiiU roster. Good candidate for the weird "WTF?" character.
  10. Dillon (Dillon's Rolling Western) - Sure, I was a massive dreamer when I was wishing for him in Smash WiiU, but he's got a retail game coming very soon, plenty of inspiration for a moveset and a suspiciously detailed Assist Trophy model in the last Smash. I think it's time. I just gotta believe!
  11. Spring Man (ARMS) - I could see it happening, pretty liked new IP from Nintendo. Why not? Ribbon Girl would be a likely alternate costume.
  12. Bomberman (Bomberman) - Smash needs a new 80's throwback and I can see him being a good candidate for new 3rd party rep.
  13. Rayman (Rayman) - After the Mario and Rabbids crossover and taking into account that Rayman ended up getting dropped in Smash WiiU, I'd say it's a possibility.
  14. Shovel Knight (Shovel Knight) - If there was a character to represent the indie games, it'd be the master of Shovelry. Easy choice there.

I think 14 (Plus Inkling) is a nice number to add to this Smash, and any other characters I can think of are too unlikely to risk on this.

Tie Breaker Stage Predictions

1. Moray Towers (Splatoon)
  2. Miitopia stage
  3. New Donk City (Super Mario Odyssey)

Well? Go on. Have at it!

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1. Spring Man

2. Ice Climbers

3. Rabbid

4. Wolf

5. Rex

6. Chibi Robo

7. Qbby

8. Banjo-Kazooie

9. Solaire of Astoria

10. Snake

Stages:

Labo stage

Inkopolis Square

New Donk City

Edited by markderoos

Sami - Advance Wars needs a bit of love, Fire Emblem can have a break for once. She could have a moveset similar to Snake's in Brawl.

Mia (Golden Sun) - I was going to choose Isaac at first then looked at my list and it was all male characters. A water adept could have some interesting and colourful moves.

Qbby - HAL character, HAL developing the new game.

Kat and Ana - Could do something similar to the Ice Climbers.

Ricky Winterborn - He features in 2 of Nintendo's greatest and forgotten racing series. They could do with some recognition.

Professor Yazoo Jr. - F-Zero could do with a second character, why not one most people will never have heard of?

Rabbid Peach - Could've chosen any of the rabbids, but this one probably has the biggest personality.

Yooka-Laylee - The developers have talked about making amiibos, what better way to get it done?

Chainchomp - It's in Mario Tennis Aces, so why not.

Goose - Most iconic character from Pilotwings, another series in desperate need of some attention.

Stages:

Kururin Grasslands - Not sure if this series is even owned by Nintendo? It'd make for a very colourful stage. Set it on top of the rotating stick and have a journey through one of the levels.

Golden Sun Mercury Lighthouse - Lighthouse aligned with the water element, for Mia. 

Advance Wars Spann Island - Sami needs her own level, the first War Room map is as good as any.

Edited by Mandalore

Might edit this later with more guesses, but I'm going for Waluigi. To be honest if he isn't in it, I'm going to riot.

On 10/03/2018 at 5:30 AM, Glen-i said:

Japan loves their Fire Emblem,

That's a weird way to spell my name.

Anyway, characters:

1.Ice Climbers (Ice Climber) - Just do it, Sakurai. They're great, they have a distinct fighting style, ban them from 8-player matches if you must. They're important mainstays.

2.Twintelle (ARMS) - Going against the grain, here. I figure, since ARMS doesn't have a single, well-defined protagonist, they'll go with the most popular character.

3.Lyn (Fire Emblem) - Are we getting someone new? This time, it better be someone we know is popular. Her flash step fighting style would be mad fun.

4.Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong) - I have a strong feeling this is her time to shine.

5.Dillon ('s Rolling Western) - He looks cool, and he'd be a good representative for the eShop

6.Decidueye (Pokémon) - Glen-i says he's the most likely Pokémon rep, I believe him. Moving on.

7.Captain Toad (Captain Toad) - Don't underestimate the little guy. If Sakurai is feeling inspired, he'll make a moveset for a non-violent person.

8.Sami (Advance Wars) - I wanna believe, man. I wanna. As a Rambo look-alike who actually looks like she'd lead an army from the frontlines, she's the most apt choice for an AW rep.

9.Muddy Mole (Mole Mania) - You want a surprise retro character? Here's a guy who'll steal your cabbages and suplex your balls. Dig it!

10.Rayman - By all means, this is the only new 3rd-party character I realistically see making it to the game...

11.Terry Bogard (Fatal Fury/King of Fighters) - ...but a guy can also dream, right? :heh: SNK has been promoting their brand a lot lately, and if Geese can make it to Tekken, anything's possible.

12.Takamaru (Mysterious Murasame Castle) - This thought entered my mind not too long ago. I'm not sure why, but I get the feeling that Sakurai likes this guy.

Stages:

-Splatoon turf battlefield (I have no idea what these zones are actually called);

-Retro-looking Ice Climber area with breakable blocks;

-ARMS Colosseum

-New Donk City

-Hyrule Field (BotW)

-Snipperclips stage

-Miitopia stage

-Jinbe's Cabbage Patch (from Mole Mania's multiplayer mode)

Edited by Jonnas
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, markderoos said:

8. Wart (yeah I know, but supporting his Highness is more important to me than winning)

You know, at this point, I want him to get in mostly because I think you deserve it.

8 hours ago, Mandalore said:

Sami - Advance Wars needs a bit of love, Fire Emblem can have a break for once. She could have a moveset similar to Snake's in Brawl.

Ricky Winterborn - He features in 2 of Nintendo's greatest and forgotten racing series. They could do with some recognition.

Kururin Grasslands - Not sure if this series is even owned by Nintendo? It'd make for a very colourful stage. Set it on top of the rotating stick and have a journey through one of the levels.

You're not the first person to suggest Sami take up the reins for Snake's movesets, and at first, I thought it wasn't that much of a good idea, but since then I've kinda warmed to the thought. As long as she's not a complete copy of Snake, I could dig it. Keep Snake's normal and Smash attacks, but have her specials be inspired by the Advance Wars Series, maybe she could have a move that let's her create a temporary base that spawns various units. The longer you hold B, the better the units that spawn, from Infantry to Mid Tanks. And the Neo Tank could make a good Final Smash.

Ricky Winterborn might be one of the strangest suggestions I've seen in a while. And I do love me some wacky, silly movesets in Smash. I'd wanna see just how someone could implement Snowboarding and Power Skis into a Smash moveset. It would be a right laugh

Oh, and Kuruin Grasslands is totally viable for a Smash stage. After all...

heririn.jpg

Helirin was an Assist Trophy in Brawl.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

You know, at this point, I want him to get in mostly because I think you deserve it.

Thanks man, just as much as I think you deserve Dillon, @Jonnas deserves Muddy Mole and @Ronnie deserves Captain Toad.

I’m feeling all Oprah now!

Edited by markderoos
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Jonnas said:

10.Rayman - By all means, this is the only new 3rd-party character I see making it to the game...

Travis Touchdown. I'll say no more.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, ArtMediocre said:

Travis Touchdown. I'll say no more.

I actually considered Travis for one of my picks, but decided against it in the end. But if he did get in (And I'd be happy to see it happen), they would probably have to censor some of the more... questionable gestures he's known for. Kinda like how they toned down Bayo's hair loss a little.

I don't care if i'm the Alan Davies of this but I discussed this with @Glen-i and goodness I just couldn't help myself. 

1. Shantae ( Shantae ) With the release of half genie hero and it's recent popularity I feel that she would fit in well. someone else need's to use they luxurious locks as a deadly weapon! 
  2. Crash ( Crash bandicoot ) A week ago I would be laughing at myself for thinking of Crash in smash, However with the Hd remakes getting ported it seems likely! 
  3. King K rool ( DKC series ) IT WOULD BE ABOUT BLOODY TIME!
  4. shovel knight ( shovel knight ) Butt butt heh heh heh...
  5. Frisk ( Undertale ) Yes i'm crazy...I love undertale a little too much...However thinking about it... 
    Spoiler

Frisk's normal move set could be all about not attacking...but instead the move set would be about Frisk's friend's attacking for them. Frisk them self could deal damage, and the more damage Frisk does the less their  friends would appear less often but frisks attacks become stronger. 

6. Wart ( Super Mario ) COME ON!
  7. Cranky ( DKC series ) PLEASE
  8. Decidueye ( Pokemon ) I need some points
  9. Dillon ( Dillon's rolling western ) HE NEEDS THIS! 
  10. Pauline ( Mario series ) Now this is a interesting one. She'd be similar in the sense that she would represent Odyssey, like Rosalina represented Galaxy. ( Also snuffing Daisy out once again )  
  11. Isaac ( Golden sun ) A much loved series that really does get over shadowed. There are so many options with Psynergy moves that would set him aside from just another sword user. 
  12. Yooka laylee ( Yooka laylee ) Need I explain?
  13. Marx ( Kirby series ) Another one I would of laughed at a week ago. His recent add to Kirby star allies however got me thinking..
  14. Porky ( Mother series ) Upgrading from his boss appearance in brawl to an actual character?!  No he wouldn't be in his machine all the time. It would be like Wario and his bike. One destroyed you would need a cool down period before you can use it once again. His move set would be average at best to counteract the awesome mecha form. 
  15. Lyn ( Fire Emblem ) again it would be about bloody time...
  16. Simon Belmont ( Castlevania ) A whip user alone would be a nice add, There are so many thing that he could do though! the sub-weapons alone would make for in interesting move set! 
  17. Alucard ( Castlevania ) Vampires are lacking in this game
  18. Rex ( Xenoblade 2 ) Pretty self explanitory
  19. Ice climbers ( Ice climbers ) just yes
  20. Wolf ( Starfox series ) AWOOOOOOO

Stages

Undertale battle screen ( Undertale ): If we don't get a character then a stage please! This would act in a similar to spear pillar in Brawl. A random enemy/Boss would effect the stage  with different obstacles players must avoid! 

Ruined Kingdom ( Mario Odyssey ) This area alone is just just epic...it would make for a good stage... it would work as an Omega stage, and the normal stage would have a nice little surprise...Rawr

Inkopolis square ( Splatoon 2 ) : Splatoon need's a stage now. With Inkling now a total thing in smash it's kinda obvious they'll have a stage too! Why not better then the main hub? This would/could have different versions! the normal version and then the splat fest rave version! I would say there could also be posts from miiverse like in the game...but... :(

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Ugh first aid said:

Wart ( Super Mario ) COME ON!

Oh people, my birthday isn’t due yet!

• Haha 2

Pauline ( Mario series ) Now this is a interesting one. She'd be similar in the sense that she would represent Odyssey, like Rosalina represented Galaxy. ( Also snuffing Daisy out once again )

You sound like this would be really funny to you. I mean, it would be, but still.

Porky ( Mother series ) Upgrading from his boss appearance in brawl to an actual character?!  No he wouldn't be in his machine all the time. It would be like Wario and his bike. One destroyed you would need a cool down period before you can use it once again. His move set would be average at best to counteract the awesome mecha form. 

This is probably my favourite suggestion of yours. There's some potential there.

Undertale battle screen ( Undertale ): If we don't get a character then a stage please! This would act in a similar to spear pillar in Brawl. A random enemy/Boss would effect the stage  with different obstacles players must avoid! 

No, wait. Scratch that. This is my favourite suggestion. I'm picturing it and it's positively inspired. Snowball's chance in hell though. It'd be worth it for the music alone.

1. Rex - I fear his inclusion could end up replacing Shulk but at the same time I could see them doing an Earthbound type of situation where both characters are in the game

2. Ice Climbers - Seems like a good idea to bring them back since there's only one version this time

3. Spring Man - There has to be an ARMS rep of some sort.

I also have a cpuple of suggestions of a new Pokeball release

1. Bewear - When let out of the ball it runs after the nearest opponent and starts hugging them. The user's % damage racks up while they are being hugged

2. Mimmikyu - I don't know what it would do but it's popular enough to be something that comes out of a Pokeball.

New Assist Trophies:

1. Zeke von Genbu - We need the Zekenator in Smash somehow but I suspect an Assist Trophy and a collectable trophy will be all that we get out of it.

@Mandalore Ricky Winterborn is a great shout, I'd love to see him in there to tie in with a revival of Wave Race/1080! 

Would it be feasible to include a Rocket League car as a fighter? Assist trophy yes...fighter? 

What with Microsoft being fairly open with Minecraft/their IP's, would be great to see something from Minecraft or, the dream, finally Banjo and Kazooie.

Cartman from South Park?

None of that is likely, so I'll play it safer and say we should definitely see Crash Bandicoot now.

Here goes,

1. Ice Climbers - No compromise this time.

2. Wolf - makes a comeback.

3. Rex - Unique move set with Pyra and Mythra. If Shulk gets cut because of Rex I'm not bothered.

4. Spring Man - Seems very likely.

5. Fire Emblem Character - A villain from the series.

6. Decidueye - Clearly the best starter of Sun / Moon and has a big following. He plays great in Pokkén DX.

7. Bomberman - same points as @Glen-i.

8. Cranky Kong - If another DK character is going to be in, I want him over Dixie.

9. Dark Samus - The Smash 4 assist trophy just make that playable.

10. Impa - Hyrule Warriors or Skyward Sword version of her.

11. Lloyd Irving - Symphonia still the best game in the series imo.

12. Chun-Li - She was the first female character to the series and I would say she's as iconic as Ryu.

13. King Boo - PLEASE!! Its time we got the King in Smash.

Stages

1. Gormott Province - Xenoblade Chronicles 2

2. Shifty Station - Splatoon 2

3. New Donk City - Mario Odyssey

• Thanks 1

NEWCOMERS:

1. Ice Climbers, a no-brainer really. They're definitely coming back.

2. Travis Touchdown, Suda has expressed multiple times that he wants him in badly, and with his new game coming to the Switch this one seems very likely.

3. Paper Mario, I am just as amazed as Glen-i that he still is not a fighter yet. Mt. Game&Watch needs a proper rival! There was a Paper Mario stage in the 3DS version, but this series deserves more since it has so many memorable characters.

4. Professor Layton, with 6 games bringing sons and their mothers together for a bit of puzzling on the (3)DS, 2 movies, and Layton's daughter embarking on her own adventures, I think one of Level-5's most iconic characters is due for his debut.

5. Cranky Kong, I feel good about another addition in the Kong family getting in the arena. It could just as well be Dixie or Funky, or even all three, but I'm just putting Cranky up here.

6. Wolf, I think he might be coming back as well.

7. Rayman, I couldn't think of any other character that would be the first to represent a 3rd party Western studio. Ubisoft has consistently stood by Nintendo's side even through some hard times, and with Rayman Legends having been exclusive for a while, and now with the Rabbids cross-over I DO HOPE we will get Rayman in Smash and not a tower of Rabbids. SO HELP ME GOD if the Rabbids get chosen over Rayman, so help me god...

8. Heihachi Mishima:

Spoiler

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor Ryu smash reveal Heihachi mii

With Namco Bandai most likely helping out again, they want this to happen. This is of course, assuming we'll get most of the characters from the previous Smash back instead of some kind of light reboot.

9. Captain Toad, seems like something likely.

10. Decidueye, this big ass owl is a cool candidate, but they might go for a Gen 8 one. It's always hard to predict Pokémon.

11. Amaterasu, with the recent reveal of Okami coming to the Switch, and given Platinum's good relationship with Nintendo, I can see this happen, though I do not know if Capcom owns this character or if Platinum does. But there's nothing a little late night drink at the bar between Platinum and Capcom execs can't solve :laughing:

12. New Fire Emblem character, haven't played anything Fire Emblem related after Awakening, but I'm sure a character or two from the newer games will get in.

13. Bomberman, basing this solely on the new Bomberman game on the Switch. It seems Konami still has some fight left in them and given their strong bond with Nintendo systems back in the day I could see this happen.

14. Simon Belmont, A character with a whip, Sakurai! A WHIP! Though the franchise has kind of fallen into obscurity, so this one is less likely unfortunately. Still, something Castlevania related should still be in Smash.

15. AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST: RIDLEY!!!

9a4-640x390.png

Sakurai knows the demand is there, just get Samus her archnemesis in there already!

-----------------------------------------------------------

I'm not sure if the development time of this new Smash game for Switch has been sufficient enough to be optimistic about most if not all characters returning. But boy do I hope he won't cut too many!

• Haha 4

10 hours ago, Nintendo Fan said:

3. Rex - Unique move set with Pyra and Mythra. If Shulk gets cut because of Rex I'm not bothered.

I am not really feeling this!  Anything but my glorious British second main!

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Glen-i said:

I am not really feeling this!  Anything but my glorious British second main!

I'm just not feeling it, I didn't like the way he played in smash and I sucked at managing the Monado Arts. :laughing:

I'm just gonna go ahead and lazily copy/paste my post from Reset Era (@Glen-i totally nicked the idea from me BTW ;))

Bare in mind that I'm only picking characters (and a quantity of characters) that I feel are realistic options, so this is actually what I feel could happen, not necessarily just a wishlist of hopes and dreams.

latest?cb=20140502173707

He's getting the Assist Trophy Upgrade treatment! Just like Little Mac and Charizard (Pokeball, but same thing) before him! :D

Dillion - Has a new retail game literally about to launch, has a high quality model already made (notably higher quality than any other assist trophy actually...), has a full moveset ready to go.  It has to happen!

Otherwise, it's the Wii U/3DS lineup, plus the following...

Wolf - He's the only remaining character left to bring back outside of Snake (Will never happen thanks to what Konami did to Kojima... who Sakurai is friends with) and Young Link (Who was replaced by Toon Link anyway)

Bomberman - He's the obvious 80s icon character left to include and he's back in action, thanks to his exclusive Switch game.

Ice Climbers - Ok, I lied earlier.  They're an old veteran who couldn't come back thanks to 3DS limitations that are no longer an issue

Inklings - Obvious newcomer is obvious (Gender swaps with costumes too).  Splatoon is huge, it has to happen.

Springman/Ribbon Girl (As costume changes) - ARMS is the other big new IP since Smash 4 came out and I think that both characters are close enough to include as a gender swap option, rather than separate characters.

Rayman - Was originally cut from Smash 4, already has a high quality model and presumably code/assets left over that were unfinished after the Great Ubisoft Betrayal happened in the Wii U era.  Now's the time to bring him back; especially after Mario + Rabbids.

Rex & Pyra (Rosalina & Luma style) - Again, obvious new Xenoblade series rep is obvious.

Chorus Kids (Three linked characters, like Rosalina & Luma or Olimar's Pikmin) - Another cut character now being finished up and making their debut.

Shovel Knight - He has an amiibo, he is strongly associated with Nintendo consoles, he has more than a full moveset ready to go.  He's THE indie character to include!

Three new stages...

Glade of Dreams (Rayman)
Urchin Underpass or Moray Towers (Splatoon)
Classic Bomberman stage (Bomberman series), where a game of Bomberman plays out and you have to survive while fighting!

All stages from the Wii U AND 3DS versions of Smash 4 will return (3DS specific stages like Pacmaze and Golden Plains might only be playable in handheld mode though; since their gimmicks rely on having separate screens for each player)

Mountain Summit from Brawl will return as well, for Ice Climbers.

There will probably be more new stages than this (and certainly more returning ones from past Smash games), but that's all I can be bothered with thinking about right now.

The game will be marketed as Smash 5, but it'll actually be a glorified Smash 4 port (with all the content from Wii U and 3DS combined + new content).  Basically another Splatoon 2/Advance Wars 2 situation.

Edited by Dcubed

Not enough people in crazy fantasy land for my liking :hehe: let's fix that...

1. Waluigi

Should've been in Smash from Melee, it's definitely time for him to be playable now. Another appearance as an assist trophy just ain't gonna cut it, I want to experience true Mario bros. vs Wario bros. Smash battles!

2. Tingle

The perfect character to join the playable Smash roster. Why? Because pretty much everyone hates him! The cool people (like myself MPface.gif) who can appreciate the awesomeness of Tingle will get to play as a character they love, and the haters will get to enjoy beating him up! It's win-win.

3. Birdo

See above. :p

4. Drake Redcrest

This was going to be Captain Rainbow, but seeing as his game never made it out of Japan I decided to go with another Skip Ltd. creation. Obviously Chibi-Robo himself should be the most likely candidate but he would look seriously weird scaled up to match the other characters. Probably not as weird as Bayonetta looked after they messed with her proportions, but not far off. :laughing:

5. Judd

The inklings are obviously in, so might as well add some more Splatoon goodness in the form of Judd the cat. His flag move is just crying out to be a side smash attack, and if Duck Hunt Duo are still in the game it's only right that we get a feline rival for them. ;)

6. Jimmy T.

Definitely time for some more substantial WarioWare representation in Smash, and I think Jimmy would be a great choice. He could keep stuff inside his afro (a la Villager's pocket) and the opportunity for amusing taunts is right there too. "Aww, yeah!!" :D

7. 9-Volt

Another WarioWare character you say? Hey, if Fire Emblem can get a million characters in Smash, it's only fair we see some more from other Nintendo franchises as well. 9-Volt has so much potential as a Smash fighter, they'd basically be able to make use of the entire retro library for his move set!

8. Karate Joe

After more from WarioWare we're going to need something from its spiritual successor too, right? Karate Joe was actually my vote on the Smash ballot, and I still reckon he would make for a great newcomer. Not only does his role in Rhythm Tengoku lend itself perfectly to Smash, for the Final Smash they could use the Karate Man mini-game, just replace the key beat targets with opponents.

9. Ulala

Moving on from Nintendo stuff but sticking with the rhythm genre, another much wanted addition for me would be Space Channel 5's Ulala. Again there's just loads of potential for cool moves, not to mention the sheer excellence it would bring to the soundtrack! :love:

10. Hatsune Miku (chibi-version)

OK, this one is especially out there seeing as it's not really a video game character, but anything is possible in crazy fantasy land! :grin: Would have to be the cute version of Miku from the Project Mirai games though, much better fit for Smash.

11. Goemon

Were it not for the fact Konami completely abandoned the amazing Mystical Ninja franchise and relegated Goemon and Co. to bloody Pachinko machines in Japan :mad: this could and should've happened already. As it stands Goemon is no doubt the least likely character on my entire list, if you can believe that. :heh: He would've been fantastic in Smash though, and imagine using Impact for a Final Smash!

12. Kazuma Kiryu

And last but not least, another super impossible "prediction" (lol) in the form of Kiryu from the Yakuza series. With those games finally starting to get more popular in the west, and with Nintendo fans having been introduced to the character via Project X Zone 2, Kiryu could've been a great addition to Smash as one of the more "realistic" fighters. An insane amount of moves to bring over from Yakuza as well, including the Heat system... would've been sweet. :cool:

JhNZBNl.jpg

So they be my choices, I look forward to achieving last place in this prediction competition. But not as much as I look forward to finally playing Super Smash Bros. on Switch!! :bouncy:

:peace:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Karate Joe

After more from WarioWare we're going to need something from its spiritual successor too, right? Karate Joe was actually my vote on the Smash ballot, and I still reckon he would make for a great newcomer. Not only does his role in Rhythm Tengoku lend itself perfectly to Smash, for the Final Smash they could use the Karate Man mini-game, just replace the key beat targets with opponents.

This is just inspired! I love the idea @RedShell! And they have all the alternative versions from the four Rhythm Paradise games to pick for his movesets and costumes too!

Of course... they'd have to have it so that if you attack in time to the stage's music, he does extra damage ;) 

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dcubed said:

Of course... they'd have to have it so that if you attack in time to the stage's music, he does extra damage ;) 

Yeah, although it would also be funny if they instead punished bad timing by having it do no damage at all. :grin:

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, RedShell said:

11. Goemon

Good to see you remain a cultured man of good taste.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Dcubed said:

I'm just gonna go ahead and lazily copy/paste my post from Reset Era (@Glen-i totally nicked the idea from me BTW ;))

"Lazily" is right. I mean, you couldn't even be bothered to delete the Inkling Paragraph? Wow.

Gonna have to second the praise for @RedShell's genius Karate Man Final Smash idea. I can just hear that high-pitched Girl shouting "Punch Kick!" now.

• Haha 4

I didn’t play Smash Bros. for Wii U, and only dabbled with for 3DS, so I had to do some fun research on trophies, returning characters, etc., from the last game, to put my list together. As a result, I don’t think any of these are too outlandish after cutting out the Chosen Undead from Dark Souls.

The Challengers

1. Ice Climbers (Ice Climber)

iceclimbers.jpg

No technical limitations this time around, so they seem a surefire bet to make their return.

2. Wolf (Star Fox)

310?cb=20110824213545

I was surprised to learn that Wolf wasn’t in Smash 4, so I expect him to make his return this time around. 

3. Lyn (Fire Emblem)

340px-Full_Portrait_Lyn.png?version=90f5

Probably one of - if not the - most popular Fire Emblem character to not be playable in a Smash game, I’ll be genuinely surprised if Lyn doesn’t step up to the mark this time around. Especially seeing as we’re probably going to be losing some other FE characters from 4...

4. Decidueye (Pokémon)

250px-724Decidueye.png

I agree with everyone else’s reasoning here: Decidueye is probably the most popular Gen VII final starter evolution, and would compliment Greninja’s and Charizard’s likely returns nicely.

5. Rex (Xenoblade)

latest?cb=20170712045610

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is selling extremely well...if we needed any other reason to include Rex in this game. I wasn’t too sure how Pyra could be included (I don’t think a Rosalina/Luma situation would work in the same way) beyond Rex’s Final Smash, so I’ve left her out.

6. Spring Man (ARMS)

latest?cb=20170117190844&path-prefix=en

The most prominent character in the game’s marketing and at the forefront of the game’s cover art, I’ll be surprised if Spring Man didn’t make it in over other ARMS characters. I think he’s pretty much a surefire thing, but I agree with @Jonnas that Twintelle is likely to pop up to (in the event that they add characters beyond Spring Man).

7. Waluigi (Mario)

Mario_Party_-_Island_Tour_Waluigi_Artwor

It’s time. It’s always been time. Do it Sakurai.

8. Captain Toad (Captain Toad)

LXrql0nrFsdAup-1fBMqXPWryVvUa-c9.png

The game got a love on Wii U, and will be getting a lot of love on the 3DS and Switch this summer, and he featured in Super Mario Odyssey (in case you didn’t learn that from the Nintendo Direct... :laughing:), so I think Captain Toad is on a steady rise. Many are saying that he doesn’t jump, but I’m sure Sakurai could find a workaround to that; if not, just let him jump. Link’s only jumped in two of his many appearances in the Zelda games, so...

9. Fire Emblem Switch protagonist (Fire Emblem)

2000px-Fire_Emblem_logo.svg.png

Super Fire Emblem Bros. 

10. Dillon (Dillon’s Rolling Western)

latest?cb=20130402221013

I’ve got to be honest: I’d never heard of this character prior to the Direct the other week. As some have pointed out here, he has a suspiciously detailed trophy in 4, and he seems to be a character that Nintendo is hoping to make into a mainstay, so I don’t see why he couldn’t turn up this time around. 

11. Shovel Knight (Shovel Knight)

latest?cb=20170705181549

If there’s going to be any indie presence - which there should be, considering how important indies been to Switch so far - there is no indie character more likely (or deserving) of being included than Shovel Knight. Still, kind of want to see the Snipperclips duo...

12. Professor Layton (Professor Layton)

main@2x.png;compress=true

He fences. If Fire Emblem’s presence in Smash over the years has taught me anything, it’s that having a sword increase the likelihood of you appearing tenfold. But on a serious note, this is a character synonymous with Nintendo’s handhelds of the last two generations, and I think he’s deserving of an inclusion. I also don’t want that Yokai Watch kid turning up, so I’m sure Level 5 wouldn’t push that little runt too hard if Sakurai asked for Layton. 

13. Bomberman (Bomberman)

latest?cb=20110207172040

Classic 80’s character who is extremely well known when considering the franchise’s relatively low sales volume, I think Super Bomberman R’s success is the final entry on a long list of reasons as to why Bomberman should be included. Number one is clearly that Konami will have to do next-to-nothing, and number two is that he’s not Snake, so yeah...it’s happening, I guess. Thought of including Frogger, too, but I think one is enough from Konami, and I’ve never played Frogger and don’t think it’s that well known when compared to Bomberman. 

14. Banjo & Kazooie (Banjo-Kazooie)

latest?cb=20120814174850

Never played Banjo-Kazooie or any other game in the franchise, but Xbox has been playing nice with Nintendo when it comes to cross-platform online, and we know Phil Spencer wants him in. Would be the perfect play before/with a Banjo-Kazooie game announcement in the next year or two, which seems kind of likely, considering how Sea of Thieves is being received. Also been considered for past Smash games, so I think it’s time. 

15. Rayman (Rayman)

latest?cb=20160612155651

I know his franchise is responsible for the Rabbids, but I don’t want them to be in the game, so I’ll take Rayman. Ubisoft has been on Nintendo’s side through some tough times, and it was great to see Yves and Miyamoto on stage together at E3 last year, so if anything I think his inclusion could just be a thank you from Nintendo for Ubisoft’s support. 

16. Steve (Minecraft)

latest?cb=20151124051717&path-prefix=pro

Second highest selling game of all time, and killing it over in Japan at the moment, I think we could see Steve make his way to Smash, again, because of how nicely Xbox has been playing with Nintendo as of late. I’m seeing a lot of people say that building would have to be a huge part of his moveset so he’s unlikely to make it in, but I disagree with the notion that this is enough of a reason to not include him. I mean, did Pokémon Trainer even once throw a Poké Ball at an opponent in Brawl

17. Noctis (Final Fantasy)

noctis-c0aa6b467cd4e475924072413020094a2

I don’t think that Cloud is returning, and my list is lacking an oddball third party, realistically appearing human choice. Again, I thought about the Chosen Undead (the protagonist of the first Dark Souls), but I don’t think that’s super likely (the connection of Namco publishing those games and having worked on Smash 4 being the only reasoning that I could think of, which I think is a relatively weak line of argument for the character’s inclusion). Square Enix has been supporting Nintendo a lot too, and they’re seemingly positioning Noctis to be a well known character synonymous with the Final Fantasy brand just as Cloud before him (he’s already appeared in Tekken 7, and you can bet he’s going to make an appearance in Kingdom Hearts 3 later this year), so I think that if anyone is going to be appearing to represent Square Enix, it would be him.

The Stages (Tiebreaker)

1. The Odyssey — travel through the many worlds of Super Mario Odyssey aboard The Odyssey.

2. Hyrule (Vah Ruta) — travel through the land of Hyrule atop the Divine Beast Vah Ruta.

3. Tetris — avoid being crushed by oncoming tetras as you fight your way up the stack, with completed rows vanishing and altering the stage’s layout. 

Edited by Julius Caesar
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Sign in to follow this