NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker ( Switch + 3DS 13th July 2018 )

The Captain Toad theme tune instantly brings a smile to my face

16 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Probably in my top 10 games ever. Ok maybe top 15 :grin:

What heresy has pushed it at least a minimum of one space?!

9 minutes ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

What heresy has pushed it at least a minimum of one space?!

Too many great games these days!

I don't think that's an all new book sadly. It looks like the Bonus book from the original, with 4 or 5 Odyssey-based levels. The patterns for the pages suggest that's the case, unfortunately!

Edited by Ronnie

6 hours ago, Dcubed said:

A demo is out now on the JPN Switch and 3DS eShops... 

It's available on the EU eShop as well.

I can kind of understand what they're thinking in replacing the 3D World levels, I always felt they were a bit of an odd one out in that game, and there wouldn't be much context for players who hadn't played that game.

2 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Why replace them at all though? That makes very little sense.

I suppose because they were built on a different engine? SM3DW was a Wii U game anyway, so plonking then into the original Captain Toad was a literal copy/paste job.

To get them working on Switch/3DS though is a much more involved task.  So they probably figured, screw it, they were the worst levels anyway.

• Thanks 1

It was a nice little nostalgia trip coming so soon after 3D World, but it would be a bit out of place now. The Odyssey levels seem to have a lot more thought put in anyway.

Sweet Jesus! It looks amazing on 3DS! (Well, New3DS at least) I can't believe they got it looking and feeling so close to the Wii U version! :o 

No intention of double dipping on this, but figured I’d check out the demo anyway. It looks great on Switch, but I am not a fan of the gyro pointer thing they got going on. :hmm: When playing in docked mode, the cursor being on-screen all the time is horribly distracting and it’s just confusing trying to control that, the camera and Toad. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, RedShell said:

No intention of double dipping on this, but figured I’d check out the demo anyway. It looks great on Switch, but I am not a fan of the gyro pointer thing they got going on. :hmm: When playing in docked mode, the cursor being on-screen all the time is horribly distracting and it’s just confusing trying to control that, the camera and Toad. 

Yeah I was going to post the exact same thing. Couldn't they have just made it a button press?

Time for adventure!

Dh9w9B_WsAUMJ6q.jpg

I had a quick go of the Switch version last night and played through the Mario Odyssey stages. Having the Mario Odyssey amiibo on hand allows you to unlock those stages straight away, without having to play through the game and unlock them that way. 

I love what I played of it so far. The game is as good and as charming as it ever was. Octopath Traveller also arrived but that will have to wait until i'm done playing through this gem again.

Both Dennis and Ashley have reviewed the games for the main site.

3DS Review

Switch Review

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Both Dennis and Ashley have reviewed the games for the main site.

3DS Review

Switch Review

I knew I forgot to do something... :blush:

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker

Switch

content-2-35525-captaintoadtreasuretracker.jpg

3DS

content-2-35527-captaontoadtreasuretracker3ds.jpg

:peace:

Edited by S.C.G
  • Thanks 2

Some nice treasures you got there @Hero-of-Time! You plan to play both versions or is the 3DS one only for collecting purposes? If you play them I'm curious to hear how you compare Switch Vs 3DS.

And thanks @S.C.G for the visuals and posting. :peace:

A lot of people say the 3DS one looks stunning and it is looking good on the system. But to be honest the Switch has kinda ruined it for me haha. It is okay with 2d titles, but games like Monster Hunter Ultimate and now Toad just don't look the part anymore. Crazy how 2 years ago it was amazing how great the 3DS looked, and now I'm like "meh".

Edited by Vileplume2000
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Vileplume2000 said:

Some nice treasures you got there @Hero-of-Time! You plan to play both versions or is the 3DS one only for collecting purposes? If you play them I'm curious to hear how you compare Switch Vs 3DS.

Yeah, I plan on playing them both. I'm very intrigued to see how the 3DS version plays. I still play on my 3DS a lot so I don't think the difference in graphics will effect me much.

I've put a fair bit of time into both versions of the game ( 100% the first book on 3DS and 100% first book and halfway through the second on the Switch version ) and I have to say, the 3DS version is very disappointing.

The graphics on the 3DS don't bother me, it's the controls which are the issue. The game requires you to rotate the camera a lot of the time and this just doesn't work well with the 3DS nub. Trying to use the other methods seems very cumbersome and it lacks the smoothness of the Wii U and Switch versions of the game. Also, having both screens display the same image can get a bit confusing. You are looking at the top screen and instinctively want to use that as the touch screen. The problem with using the touch screen as your main screen is that little pop ups appear on it that indicate what you can touch, which obviously blocks your vision. I think i'll be happy with just reaching the credits in this version of the game.

The Switch version is great. It's just like the Wii U version and i'm having a blast playing it. I'll never not smile at this little animation.

I also captured this....

....which just reminds me of this! :D 

giphy.gif

• Haha 3

I just trief the Mummy-Me Maze Forever. I remember why I hated it haha. Got to the mid 40s and died again

I shall do this once more

Sign in to follow this