NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

WarioWare Gold ( 3DS 27th July 2018)

Well, my copy of WarioWare Gold arrived today. :D

I had to order it over the weekend as I thought I had it on pre-order but evidently I did not. ::shrug:

Anyway, it's here, I've unsealed it and it's in my 3DS which is "fully charged" but it's in the charger for now just to make sure it's topped up to maximum capacity. :)

I was toying with the idea of starting Octopath Traveller last night, but after careful consideration I think I'm going to be playing WarioWare, here and there instead. :peace:

I'm sure it's the right choice... at least for now... right @RedShell? :cool:

• Like 1

Well, I started playing this just after 9PM and I only stopped a little after 11PM...

...taking a break but the withdrawal symptoms are already setting in. :heh:

I managed to play through the "intro" segment of the story, if you like, for each character and that's as far as I've got so far. :)

The coins system is pretty useful here, I like that you can opt to just continue if you fail but at a cost of your coins, it seems like there are a few ways to obtain coins as well.

On my first go from the capsule machine I got the amiibo paint thing, I don't know if you always get that on your first try, anyway, suffice to say, I'll likely be scanning in three per day. :D

They've really gone all-out with this game, I love the voice acting and the mini-stories which move the plot along nicely while keeping things fun.

Jimmy T. is still one cool cat... You KNOW it! :cool:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 01/08/2018 at 12:17 AM, S.C.G said:

The coins system is pretty useful here, I like that you can opt to just continue if you fail but at a cost of your coins, it seems like there are a few ways to obtain coins as well.

I actually wasn't aware of being able to use coins to continue, that's a cool additional feature though. :cool:
And although I did miss the little scenes that traditionally play out after a boss stage in WarioWare games, those little coin collecting microgames were a surprisingly fun replacement. :)

But yeah, lots and lots of ways to obtain coins in the game. And they rack up pretty fast, especially once you've filled the Toy Room. I've maxed out the counter a few times already since then. :D
Luckily there is always something to spend them on though, thanks to...

Spoiler

...the Wario Kard minigame.

Yep, even once you have collected the entire deck of cards, you can still buy more (duplicates) and doing so will strengthen your collection even further! It's looking increasingly necessary to do so too, as the opponents get a lot tougher over time.

Edited by RedShell
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So I finally got the game and have been playing this little gem over the weekend... it's pretty damn good! Is it me though, or is it REALLY short? Feels like I've unlocked almost everything already...

Seen the credits, got all the Challenges unlocked, most of the microgames unlocked and a couple of minigames (Minigolf, Foiled) unlocked, but I'm a bit disappointed to see a distinct lack of useless toys to unlock like in Twisted and Touched... I hope that there's a lot more surprises yet to come... (Sew Hard? PLEASE!!)

Seems like Rhythm Heaven Megamix was a lot meatier than this one...

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

Is it me though, or is it REALLY short? Feels like I've unlocked almost everything already...

I think it just feels really short if you’ve played the rest of the series, as although there are over 300 microgames in Gold, only 50 are brand new.

Previous experience with WarioWare, Inc., Twisted and Touched also makes it much quicker to get through story mode, as you already know what to expect for the majority of games, so there’s basically no trial and error involved. Hell, I didn’t even know about the coin continue system as the option never appeared for me! :hehe: 

What playtime have got on your activity log? I’m at around 25 hours, which already puts WarioWare Gold in 40th place for total time played on my 3DS, above stuff like Super Mario 3D Land and Kirby Planet Robobot. 

So yeah, I certainly wouldn’t say it’s really short, but rather that the more WarioWare titles you’ve already played, the shorter WarioWare Gold will probably feel.

Also... time flies when you’re having fun! :D 

Good point about the past experience @RedShell, didn’t really think of it like that.  True, I would get through it much more quickly than most because I’m familiar with most of the microgames.

As for how much I’ve played? Well it’s hard to say becaus Glen-i has been playing my copy as well, so the Activity Log results are skewed, but I’d guess that I’ve been playing it for around 5-6 hours total?

I’ll no doubt be playing it on and off for years to come though, just like the other games in the series! It’s the perfect pick up and play game after all! :D 

BTW, on the matter of familiarity, I do like how they’ve changed a lot of the past microgames to mess with your memories of them! There’s quite a few microgames from the first game that are now twist or touch controlled and it always throws me off and leaves me with a good chuckle; they knew what they were doing :laughing: (the 3DS stylus microgame is another good one that messes with your head, very clever; they KNOW how annoying it is that Nintendo keep moving the stylus location on each 3DS model, I can’t believe they managed to turn that annoyance into a microgame! Brilliant! :laughing:)

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

the 3DS stylus microgame is another good one that messes with your head, very clever; they KNOW how annoying it is that Nintendo keep moving the stylus location on each 3DS model, I can’t believe they managed to turn that annoyance into a microgame! Brilliant! :laughing:

Yeah, those gave me a good laugh too. And seeing as I’ve never used the new 3DS or 2DS I genuinely had no idea where the stylus or power buttons were located on them! :heh: 

• Haha 2

So I finally unlocked Wario Kard and...

B8tJIo3_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Nintendo clearly read our forums here

... congrats @RedShell! Your name for Baby Face is now officially canon! :hehe:

Edited by Dcubed
  • Haha 1
  • Weird 2

I fired this up over the weekend and it's been a right laugh so far. I was surprised by the quality of the animated scenes, as well as the voice work. Still, i'm not so sure on the voice of Wario. It just seems a bit off to me for some reason. ::shrug: The Kat and Ana scenes had me in stitches, especially when they got all fat. :D 

The amiibo integration in the game is great. I have no idea if you always unlock the art studio first ( I imagine that is the case so you can start using amiibo early on ) but it's certainly a welcome feature. It's a great way to earn cash for use in the game and it puts my amiibo collection to good use. Not only that but some of the pictures Wario draws are flat out hilarious. These are probably old news by this point but here are a few that he has drawn for me.

Dzr_s_eWwAADr6o.jpg

Dzr_s_fWwAEgSUv.jpg

Dzr_s_gW0AEmd8E.jpg

Dzr_tB4W0AAWbFx.jpg

DzsAKOgWwAA3-fY.jpg

DzsAKO5WwAACVQ1.jpg

:D 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

The amiibo integration in the game is great. I have no idea if you always unlock the art studio first ( I imagine that is the case so you can start using amiibo early on ) but it's certainly a welcome feature. It's a great way to earn cash for use in the game and it puts my amiibo collection to good use. Not only that but some of the pictures Wario draws are flat out hilarious. These are probably old news by this point but here are a few that he has drawn for me.

DzsAKO5WwAACVQ1.jpg

:D 

That picture of Waluigi is pure gold! :D

I did start scanning in amiibo figures when I was playing the game, probably loads more I could get, easily one of the best features of the game and amiibo usage in general. :smile:

I need to start using my 3DS a bit more, pretty sure that Wario Ware Gold is still in the cartridge slot. (*checks* it isn't but, it's in my 3DS carry case so close enough) :p

I'm bumping this thread for one reason and one reason only..

PLAY THIS GAME :bouncy:

I cleared the main portion of the game a couple of years ago but there is so much else to do between the different gameplay variations and missions that you just simply can't sleep on WarioWare Gold!

Coming out in 2018 obviously put it at a disadvantage given that Switch was already out and had an unbelievable 2017 but if you're still sitting there with it sealed, barely touched or maybe not even purchased just stop what you're doing right now, get that 3DS charged and enjoy one of the funniest, whackiest and most exhilarating games out there right now.

Thank me later :grin:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Yup.  WWG is pure gold.  It’s an excellent Best of collection that combines chunks of the previous games in such a way as to provide an all new experience.

The fact that it combines multiple control types completely changes the game, as you never know what to expect.  And the new modes (ESPECIALLY Split Screen!) offer an exhilarating new take on the series’ traditional gameplay :D 

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Chiming in to say that Split Screen is the best thing about this game.

So simple, yet so effective!

Sign in to follow this