NEurope
Julius

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Trailer's dropped!

Won't say who it is. But most of you can breathe easy.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 1

When you dread Fortnite, surely anything would be better at this point. I wasn't expecting that reveal and am more than happy with it.

Just caught up and all I have to say is

OHHHHHHH MY GODDDDDDDD LET'S GOOOOOOOOO

Knew who it was as soon as that guy fell in two. Hadn't picked up the second Fighters Pass and now I have to. Yes. All the yes. 

Also, like the idea of not spoiling it for anyone! Nintendo's Twitter post doesn't have the character name or anything in the thumbnail so I guess we can share that instead? 

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1

Oh right, this means I can now update this previous joke I made.

That game continues to look more and more sad.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Haha 3

Didn't expect that as I don't know the character - never played the game. But looks cool to play as.

39 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

Didn't expect that as I don't know the character - never played the game. But looks cool to play as.

Spoiler

Basically, the most famous RPG villain ever. And let's face it, Smash Bros totally needs more villains.

1 minute ago, Glen-i said:
  Character reveal spoiler for anyone who doesn't know yet. (Hide contents)

Basically, the most famous RPG villain ever. And let's face it, Smash Bros totally needs more villains.

Sure, maybe I've heard the name (in fact, it rings a bell) but have never been able to put it onto a character. But I don't think the character is well-known to people who have never played the game. I know that at least some other game interested friends of mine didn't know about it either.

1 minute ago, MindFreak said:

Sure, maybe I've heard the name (in fact, it rings a bell) but have never been able to put it onto a character. But I don't think the character is well-known to people who have never played the game. I know that at least some other game interested friends of mine didn't know about it either.

Spoiler

I'm guessing they weren't huge 90's PlayStation fans then? Final Fantasy VII along with Pokémon basically made RPG's relevant outside of Japan. FF VII was one of the main killer apps for the PS1. As far as I can tell though, Sephiroth doesn't actually show up in FF VII Remake, so maybe that's why he's not that recognisable these days.

But definitely a staple game character from the 90's.

Anyway, watching the trailer again, I can't help but notice the weird ending where Cloud is using "Omnislash Ver. 5" on Sephiroth. That move is not in Smash at all, yet that looks like in-game footage.

Could Cloud be getting a second Final Smash? Maybe it only happens when Sephiroth is around, or maybe it happens when you choose the Advent Children outfit? Intriguing stuff.

Above all else, I just love that this paints Sakurai as...

Spoiler

...a massive Advent Children fan. Learn something new every day :laughing:

Also @Glen-i yeah, I agree with you; I think Omnislash Ver. 5 is going to be Cloud's exclusive Final Smash on Sephiroth (which is also from Advent Children, and it had me laughing so hard). 

I think this is my favourite Smash reveal to date by far, I've never been so hyped up by one before, and had a smile on my face the entire time. It singlehandedly has me buying the second Fighters Pass, and I only dip in and out of the game for local co-op sparingly now as it is.

Guess that's going to have to change now :p

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1

Well, I’m not mad this time at least. :hehe: 
But yeah, still not getting the second fighters pass.

Happy for those that are excited by this character though. :peace:

8 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Wahey!!! 2 more pieces of music!! :D 

Only need 1 this time. :heh: 

Meh, never played FFVII so no thanks. What is it that Square is doing for Nintendo that means Sakurai is having to market their products (that appear on other platforms)? Last 3 characters got to be awesome or else I'm skipping this fighter pack altogether. 

No idea on who that is, never been a FF fan but I do like playing as some of the characters and this one looks like it could be fun to play as. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, LazyBoy said:

Meh, never played FFVII so no thanks. What is it that Square is doing for Nintendo that means Sakurai is having to market their products (that appear on other platforms)? Last 3 characters got to be awesome or else I'm skipping this fighter pack altogether. 

Yeah, I can certainly empathise with those who either haven't played or aren't fans of FFVII, especially seeing as it's another sword wielder. 

As for the reasoning, I think it still makes sense in that Final Fantasy VII is the biggest JRPG not called Pokémon and that this gets some tie-in promotion to the Remake project (I know it's mostly been associated with PlayStation, though I do guess the original is on the eShop?), and for Dragon Quest in the last Pass I think it made sense considering that it's the godfather of JRPG's and is still a series adored in Japan. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, LazyBoy said:

Spoiler

Probably because Sephiroth will sell passes. Can't really undersell how influential FF VII was. It was basically Sony's answer to Ocarina of Time.

22 minutes ago, Julius said:

Yeah, I can certainly empathise with those who either haven't played or aren't fans of FFVII, especially seeing as it's another sword wielder. 

As for the reasoning, I think it still makes sense in that Final Fantasy VII is the biggest JRPG not called Pokémon and that this gets some tie-in promotion to the Remake project (I know it's mostly been associated with PlayStation, though I do guess the original is on the eShop?), and for Dragon Quest in the last Pass I think it made sense considering that it's the godfather of JRPG's and is still a series adored in Japan. 

Dragon Quest I get, but this - look if we're opening it up to well known characters regardless of platform affiliation then where's Lara, Dante, MC, Kratos and so on.

2 minutes ago, Glen-i said:
  Might be time to drop the spoiler tagging soon. (Hide contents)

Probably because Sephiroth will sell passes. Can't really undersell how influential FF VII was. It was basically Sony's answer to Ocarina of Time.

I think that's unfortunately correct. One of the things I loved about Smash in the past was the fact it gave us characters seemingly untethered to commercial concerns. I mean who the fuck is Roy? (I know who he is now obviously). 

Yeah, an amazing choice that nobody saw coming (sorry guys, but your prediction points continue to plummet!).

While I'm a bit disappointed that we aren't seeing any representation from any other games in the series, I aint complaining about getting them! Awesome choice! :D 

5 minutes ago, LazyBoy said:

Dragon Quest I get, but this - look if we're opening it up to well known characters regardless of platform affiliation then where's Lara, Dante, MC, Kratos and so on.

I think that's unfortunately correct. One of the things I loved about Smash in the past was the fact it gave us characters seemingly untethered to commercial concerns. I mean who the fuck is Roy? (I know who he is now obviously). 

That's pretty hilarious considering that Roy was THE promotional tie-in character for Melee, as he was put in to promote the (then) upcoming release of Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade in Japan (Yes, he was just as bad as Byleth!).

Edited by Dcubed

3 minutes ago, LazyBoy said:

Oh yeah, I totally agree! It's a strange one. I love it, but I agree it's odd to go with this character of all of the third party characters now. Not to mention the long list of Nintendo characters people have been hoping for forever.

It does make me wonder if this was a Sakurai or Nintendo choice - I can't remember as I haven't been following Fighter Pass 2 as closely, did they say who chose the additional fighters like they did with the first Pass? 

4 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

That's pretty hilarious considering that Roy was THE promotional tie-in character for Melee, as he was put in to promote the (then) upcoming release of Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade in Japan (Yes, he was just as bad as Byleth!).

Well there you go, consider me corrected. Good trivia.

48 minutes ago, BowserBasher said:

No idea on who that is, never been a FF fan but I do like playing as some of the characters and this one looks like it could be fun to play as. 

It's not just me then!

9 minutes ago, Julius said:

It does make me wonder if this was a Sakurai or Nintendo choice - I can't remember as I haven't been following Fighter Pass 2 as closely, did they say who chose the additional fighters like they did with the first Pass? 

I do believe that Nintendo announced that all slots had already been chosen at the time of reveal of the existence of the pass - and thus it was believed that Nintendo filled them out, not Sakurai. But I guess it's just speculation.

Edited by MindFreak

11 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Arguably worse. At least Three Houses actually released before Byleth showed up in Smash.