NEurope
Julius

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Impressions regarding the game's single player modes are pouring out from the media now; be warned, they're not holding back on spoilers!

• Thanks 4

Reports seem really positive.

I know it doesn't really matter but I find the ugly world map a real turn off for the World of Light mode. If they wanted to just use a 2D image and simulate depth, fine, but I can't get over how low resolution it is. Looks terrible. But then so does most of the Smash UI generally, Sakurai's obsession with the boxey graphics is getting really old.

Edited by Ronnie

37 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Impressions regarding the game's single player modes are pouring out from the media now; be warned, they're not holding back on spoilers!

Thanks for the heads up. I'll make sure to avoid reading/watching any of them.

22 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Looks terrible. But then so does most of the Smash UI generally, Sakurai's obsession with the boxey graphics is getting really old.

Well, that only proves that Sakurai is a very supportive husband.

I like the Boxy graphics. They're clear and to the point.

They're better than Melee's and 64's menu.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Weird 1

I read that you can set a difficulty level for World of Light - was that an option in the old games for the single player? I can't recall.

Straight to the hardest mode for me. If I can't beat that what chance will I have fulfilling my dream as a later life eSports champion?

17 minutes ago, LazyBoy said:

I read that you can set a difficulty level for World of Light - was that an option in the old games for the single player? I can't recall.

Straight to the hardest mode for me. If I can't beat that what chance will I have fulfilling my dream as a later life eSports champion?

Are you talking about Subspace Emissary? Because yes, that was an option. 5 difficulty options.

If you're talking about single player modes in Smash. Then the answer is Super Yes. Ever since the first one.

6 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Are you talking about Subspace Emissary? Because yes, that was an option. 5 difficulty options.

If you're talking about single player modes in Smash. Then the answer is Super Yes. Ever since the first one.

Cheers mate. Shows how much I'm paying attention.

1 hour ago, Glen-i said:

Well, that only proves that Sakurai is a very supportive husband.

I like the Boxy graphics. They're clear and to the point.

They're better than Melee's and 64's menu.

The higher up menus look ok I guess... better than past games like you say.

Spoiler

maxresdefault.jpg

The main spirit screen on the other hand, is probably the ugliest UI I've seen in a game, well, ever.

Screen-Shot-2018-11-19-at-6-18-00-pm.jpg

Anyway, the main point I was trying to make referred to the overworld map in World of Light. Hopefully it'll look a bit better in the final game.

Edited by Ronnie

13 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Reveal hidden contents

maxresdefault.jpg

The main spirit screen on the other hand, is probably the ugliest UI I've seen in a game, well, ever.

Screen-Shot-2018-11-19-at-6-18-00-pm.jpg

That's a bit overdramatic. You ever seen Sony's Smash Bros menu attempt? It was gross.

Spoiler

Assist Trophy: Guile

Appearing from the Street Fighter series! He crouches down and waits patiently...then delivers a Flash Kick to anybody who approaches! Don't get too close.

219_1.jpg

219_2.jpg

I cracked a smile when I saw this trophy and realised that he mostly spams the same move over and over again. Let's face it, we've all fought that one person in Street Fighter.

If you haven't, then that person was probably you.

• Thanks 1

Spoiler

No Pictures today. Just some stuff about Zelda.

Anyway, this week's remix is "King Bowser" from Super Mario Bros. 3. The arrangement is by the original composer, Koji Kondo!

Very interesting interview with Sakurai-san over on Game Informer, during which he talks about Piranha Plant, Spirits, and 20 years of Smash Bros. 

I found this particularly crushing to read, though; it’s obvious some will be disappointed (and probably be very vocal about it) in some way with regards to the final roster, but all the same, it just doesn’t seem right:

There will be people who might feel disappointed if fighters that appeared in a previous title are not included. I didn’t want any players to feel that way, so we worked really hard to make this happen.

But what I learned is that regardless of doing our utmost, no matter how hard we try, and no matter how many fighters we include, there will always be people who feel that way.

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Spoiler

PAC-LAND

This is an auto-scrolling stage where the scene continuously changes. There are also a few hidden features from the original arcade version of PAC-LAND, so try to find them!

224_1.jpg

224_3.jpg

Not gonna lie, it really stings that this stage made the jump to Ultimate, but not the Pac-Maze stage from 3DS. That stage was rad.

I mean, this stage is fun, but it's not the one I would have chosen.

Oh, BTW. Someone on ResetERA jacked my idea!

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 1
  • Angry 1

Right, seeing as those upstarts on ResetERA are wasting my idea with nonsense about Avocados. Here's an actual important tier list about something that doesn't really matter. I call this one...

OH NO! It's Godzilla! What do you do!?

HmhNO7G.png

Edited by Glen-i
Updated Tier List
  • Like 2

What? Godzilla is a 100m, armour-plated, fire-breathing monster, what the hell is Link going to do? Or anyone in the top three tiers!

Just now, bob said:

What? Godzilla is a 100m, armour-plated, fire-breathing monster, what the hell is Link going to do? Or anyone in the top three tiers!

Throwing a bomb in its mouth usually works. Or a big hammer.

• Like 1

Throwing a bomb in its mouth usually works. Or a big hammer.
How is Link going to throw a bomb 100m into the air? Is he an Eastern European shotputter?

30 minutes ago, bob said:

Obligatory

zelda-cartoon-link-bomb-jump-bomb-shield

Link would Shadow of the Collosus it and stab it with the Master Sword. Blade of Evil's Bane is pretty effective. Naturally, Toon Link would just jump there and shove the sword into it's brain. Worked on Ganondorf. Young Link doesn't have the Master Sword or epic gravity defying skills, so he's screwed.

A well placed Falcon Punch beats anything. Everyone knows this. Bayonetta has literally punched God into the sun, so Godzilla is nothing for her. Samus/Dark Samus' suits are way past modern technology. Mewtwo has crazy Psychic powers (And Ness to a lesser extent). Meanwhile Rosalina and Shulk are literal Gods. Kirby beats everything, Godzilla is another Tuesday for him.

The Fire Emblem gang fight Dragons on a daily basis. Chrom and Marth in particular have the Falchion which is made specifically to kill Fire Breathing Reptiles. Fox and Falco have the Arwings. Probably just another end-stage boss to them. Mega Man has a smorgasbord of weapons, like Samus.

If Sonic has the Chaos Emeralds, he'll breeze it with Super Sonic. Ridley is the closest thing to Godzilla in the Ninty Universe, except he can fly. Cloud is from Final Fantasy. Giant Fire Breathing Dragons is the norm.

Mario has literally Butt stomped a 100m tall Electric Dragon to death. Meta Knight is from the Kirby universe, so I have to imagine he's crazy strong if he can give Kirby a decent fight. (Same with Dedede if he wasn't looting)

Simon and Richter have struggled their way through worse.

I think that covers everyone.

Edited by Glen-i

30 minutes ago, bob said:

Kirby would rip Godzilla a new one!

• Like 2

Kirby would rip Godzilla a new one!
Kirby would turn into a brick, drop on his head, and do no damage.

2 minutes ago, bob said:

Kirby would turn into a brick, drop on his head, and do no damage.

Have you played any Kirby Final Boss?

25 minutes ago, bob said:
27 minutes ago, Glen-i said:
Have you played any Kirby Final Boss?

No.

Then trust me when I say that to Kirby, Godzilla is nothing. This is what happened to just one poor villain that miffed Kirby.

42e5bafceab5e8e05ff8a1355fdcafbdd550ec97

Kirby fights some proper eldtrich horrors in his games. Like planet-destroying levels of nightmares. And it's nothing to him.

Edited by Glen-i

Then trust me when I say that to Kirby, Godzilla is nothing. This is what happened to just one poor villain that miffed Kirby.
42e5bafceab5e8e05ff8a1355fdcafbdd550ec97_00.gif
Kirby fights some proper eldtrich horrors in his games. Like planet-destroying levels of nightmares. And it's nothing to him.
Yeah but I was assuming Smash Kirby, not own-game Kirby. Same for all the characters. If they can't do it in game, it doesn't count.

Having said that, I guess a lot of the 'final smash' moves are pretty ridic.