NEurope
Julius

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Yeah, if it doesn't have the stage builder, that's gonna be a huge shame.  I had hours of fun making stupid, ridiculous stages using that thing; even with its hilariously limited tools!

You won't be able to make up nearly as many ridiculous custom game rules without it... hardly an Ultimate experience...

... that being said, it hasn't been de-confirmed yet... There's still a chance!! Believe!!

£60? That's crazy steep - the last time I remember paying that for a game at launch was Conker's Bad Fur Day!

I am in two minds about this. No Smash has held my interest since the epic Melee, partly because I feel like they have not done enough new each time. But on the other hand, they've got all characters returning, and this more or less seems a definitive version.

60 pounds can't be right.. As the normal price over here is 60 euros.

Edit: So yeah did a quick check on a currency rates.. Really thought a pound was worth more. It used to be..

Edited by Sméagol
  • Sad 1

£60 is what the majority of big games cost digitally these days, on any platform.

1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

that being said, it hasn't been de-confirmed yet... There's still a chance!! Believe!!

I want to believe... Believe me. :hehe: Will be absolutely amazed if it is included though, having not even been mentioned in the last Direct.

• Thanks 1

£60 is what the majority of big games cost digitally these days, on any platform.

Fair enough. RDR2 was £50 after all.

I don't mind paying more sometimes as the way I see it, not all games were made equal.

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

Not on Switch.  The only game other than Smash that has an RRP of £60 is Breath of the Wild.  Everything else is £49.99.

It's also $60 in the US and standard full retail price everywhere else; just like every other full priced Switch game (including BOTW).  It's just Europe that gets screwed here.

Edited by Dcubed

43 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

Fair enough. RDR2 was £50 after all.

reddead.jpg

Fallout 76, Battlefield V, Anthem, Division 2 etc are all £60, because that's the norm for big releases, on any platform.

4 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Fallout 76, Battlefield V, Anthem, Division 2 etc are all £60, because that's the norm for big releases, on any platform.

Again.  Everything else other than BOTW on Switch is £49.99 max.

And the price is only higher in Europe for both BOTW and Smash.  Everywhere else gets the standard retail price.

We're having to pay substantially more than every other region for no good reason here.  And only for these two games.  It's unfair, no matter how you slice it.

Edited by Dcubed

reddead.jpg Fallout 76, Battlefield V, Anthem, Division 2 etc are all £60, because that's the norm for big releases, on any platform. 

Yeah I meant physical version of RDR2 was (in real terms) £50, same as what Smash seems to be for preorder on various sites. Sorry, I was more referring to a general high price for some games regardless of physical/digital, but those games tend to be big ones.

2 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Again.  Everything else other than BOTW on Switch is £49.99 max.

And the price is only higher in Europe for both BOTW and Smash.  Everywhere else gets the standard retail price.

We're having to pay substantially more than every other region for no good reason here.  And only for these two games.  It's unfair, no matter how you slice it.

I missed your post, I was replying to Sheikah saying that Red Dead was £50. I always thought big Switch first party games were £60 (Mario, Splatoon, Xenoblade etc) but fair enough I must be mistaken.

I guess there's two arguments going on here, us paying more than the rest of the world and the fact that Smash is sold at the same price here as other big games. It's a lot of money but I guess I've just accepted that if I want to buy games digitally it'll be more expensive, on any console.

Edited by Ronnie

On a more interesting topic...

That's interesting that the list was entierly requested by Nintendo.  So that basically means no 3rd party characters and probably only either more popular or more recent characters...
... which makes it all the more surprising that Rex didn't make the cut!

Paper Mario's chances just rocketed upwards, while Shantae's just plumetted!

EDIT: Dcubed beat me to it. :p 

It's a bit pants that the DLC has been decided but they aren't going to announce what characters they are, especially when they are quite happy to sell the season pass already. If I was a betting man I would put money on another Fire Emblem character being part of the DLC to promote the new game that arrives next year. In fact, with Nintendo calling the shots, I imagine most of the DLC characters will be ones that can be used as a promotion for games that release next year.
Edited by Hero-of-Time

Given that it's DLC and they'll want to get as much money as possible from it, I'm guessing most will just be the most requested characters. Waluigi and 4 more Fire Emblem characters?

13 hours ago, Ronnie said:

I have to say that's a little unfair given how much content is in the game. Most if not all of the character models have been improved and it's a brand new engine running the game.

Don't bother. I've been trying to explain that to @Dcubed for months. He won't listen.

20 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:
I imagine most of the DLC characters will be ones that can be used as a promotion for games that release next year.

I'll be fine with that if they've currently got new Advance Wars, Golden Sun, 1080 & Wave Race games in development. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Mandalore said:

Given that it's DLC and they'll want to get as much money as possible from it, I'm guessing most will just be the most requested characters. Waluigi and 4 more Fire Emblem characters?

I still think Assist Trophies have absolutely no hope in hell of getting in this roster.

And I still think we're getting one third party.

Smash can be an effective bargaining tool for getting games on the system.

FE Switch is totes getting in though with this news. (Point for me! Woo!)

Edited by Glen-i

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:
EDIT: Dcubed beat me to it. :p 

It's a bit pants that the DLC has been decided but they aren't going to announce what characters they are, especially when they are quite happy to sell the season pass already. If I was a betting man I would put money on another Fire Emblem character being part of the DLC to promote the new game that arrives next year. In fact, with Nintendo calling the shots, I imagine most of the DLC characters will be ones that can be used as a promotion for games that release next year.

They know that half the fun of a new Smash game is the speculation that comes along with it.  No sense in killing the hype with a list of characters (plus they always do character reveals with actual footage - yes, even Mewtwo had a model to show off - and they currently have nothing to show).

Even though this won't count towards the prediction contest (I've already well lost it anyway!) I'm gonna go ahead and make myself look stupid by making the following DLC list prediction...

Paper Mario (Finally!! He would have an insane moveset for Smash! And it'll come packaged with an announcement of a new Paper Mario game for Switch)
Sylux (Kensuke Tanabe's personal lovechild! He's gonna be playing a key role in MP4, going by MP3's ending and his apperance in Federation Force, and Tanabe will literally beg for his inclusion)
Captain Toad (The other major Mario choice. Nintendo will push hard for more Mario characters, and Sakurai will choose the most interesting one)
Tingle or Kass (There will be some infighting here. The old guard at Nintendo love Tingle, but the newer guard will want more BOTW representation. Only one will survive...)
Fire Emblem: Three Houses Protagonist (Nintendo's marketing department will fist fight to make this happen and SakuraiBias will make it happen. This is a 100% guaranteed choice)

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

I think @Dcubed's list is almost likely. Another two Mario characters is not happening though.

Here's what I think.

FE Three Houses Protagonist - Yeah, it's totally happening now. No way in hell this doesn't get advertised in Smash. Sticking with my original prediction here.

BOTW character - With Ninty themselves suggesting characters, I'd be shocked if BOTW didn't worm it's way in. Kass would make a cool kind of Bard character. Although I'd be fine with any of the Champions. Except Urbosa, we already have a Gerudo and Swords are a bit overdone in Smash.

Paper Mario - Kinda totally dependant on whether a new game is in the works. Or a port of Colour Splash, I guess that could work too.

Gen 8 Pokémon (that isn't Meltan) - Gen 8 comes out next year. Perfect timing. I hope you're ready for the 11th Pokémon rep!

Something third party - It's established by this point that Smash sells games. I can see it being a great bargaining chip to get some 3rd Party games on the Switch. Let's face it, those Final Fantasies aren't coming to Switch because Square just felt like it. The character won't be a Square one though. (Although Sora in Smash + Kingdom Hearts 1.5 + 2.8 Switch ports would be pretty dope!)

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Gen 8 Pokémon (that isn't Meltan) - Gen 8 comes out next year. Perfect timing. I hope you're ready for the 11th Pokémon rep!

Yeah, I think Pokemon from the new gen is a safe a bet as the Fire Emblem one.

29 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

They know that half the fun of a new Smash game is the speculation that comes along with it.  No sense in killing the hype with a list of characters (plus they always do character reveals with actual footage - yes, even Mewtwo had a model to show off - and they currently have nothing to show).

I agree when it's characters in the base game but its when they are asking for money without telling you what you are actually getting that I take issue with. It's a standard industry practice that I hoped Nintendo would be above. Saying that, they done the same with BOTW. 

Edited by Hero-of-Time

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I agree when it's characters in the base game but its when they are asking for money without telling you what you are actually getting that I take issue with. It's a standard industry practice that I hoped Nintendo would be above. Saying that, they done the same with BOTW. 

For what it's worth, Sakurai did say something along the lines of "Only buy the pass if you have confidence in it"

It's not much, but it's something at least.

I have total confidence in all of it. More characters and stages, the better, in my opinion.

1 minute ago, Glen-i said:

For what it's worth, Sakurai did say something along the lines of "Only buy the pass if you have confidence in it"

It's not much, but it's something at least.

I have total confidence in all of it. More characters and stages, the better, in my opinion.

Not if its another 5 FE sword users. :p 

I only bought Cloud on the Wii U version and got Mewtwo free. Other than that I don't think I bothered with any of the others but that's probably more to do with me not really getting into the Wii U/3DS games. Had I been playing the 3DS version back then as much as I am now I would have forked over for my boy Roy.

• Haha 1

I think it's cool that Nintendo has already chosen the characters to be added in the DLC next year, and I'm glad that they are keeping the list secret. As much as I enjoy the reveals of Smash Characters, there is something special about not knowing everything about a game before it's even released. Some speculation is always good, but surprises are always better :D.

The Smash Dojo killed all my hype for Brawl to be honest, but with the big reveals and cut scenes Nintendo are making they have learned the secret of revealing a character AND building hype. Really looking forward to seeing who made the cut! And I don't think Rex is out of the question yet. I mean, even if Nintendo has made the list, they might still want to build relationships with other publishers and developers. 

I think this is the only logical choice, to be honest:

Spoiler

CBx_IGeWgAAtEEt.jpg

1 minute ago, ArtMediocre said:

Really looking forward to seeing who made the cut! And I don't think Rex is out of the question yet. I mean, even if Nintendo has made the list, they might still want to build relationships with other publishers and developers. 

Nintendo own Monolithsoft and therefore own Rex.

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Nintendo own Monolithsoft and therefore own Rex.

Aw shoot, that's right. Now I understand what Dcubed meant with the surprise that Rex didn't make the cut! But seeing as this is Sakurai we're talking about, I'm sure there will rather be a weird choice of character from the series anyway, like the Ardanian Soldiers or something.

....to be honest, why isn't that an assist trophy?? Imagine a bunch of those on the field yelling "Don't forget me!" "Think you can take me?!" "You're done!!" while being super weak. Sakurai need to stay more with the times.

• Haha 2

I’m expecting the DLC to include several third party characters, it’s a great way to generate additional hype and get even more people interested in the game post-launch. The Nintendo fanbase is already on-board (and then some :hehe:) so it makes more sense to try and expand the audience beyond that.

Anyway, I’m now leaning more towards getting the digital version, although it means I will be pretty much completely out of storage space on my Switch/SD card. ::shrug: