Julius

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Recommended Posts

Have anyone any experience with the PowerA controllers? They're gonna release a wireless Gamecube-style controller in november, and it is pretty much a Switch Pro controller, but without rumble and Amiibo-support. It has gyro sensors included, and comes in Jet, Purple, Grey and also Gold and Silver as GameStop exclusive colors. It looks pretty slick, and I've seen some reviews on youtube, and some even gives it better score than the original. And also, if it has bluetooth 5.0 it can connect to my PC. Thoughts?

https://www.powera.com/us/gamecube/

tumblr_pgm1mdlJYM1qjoleso1_500.jpg

1507852-01_NSW_GC-WL_Gold_1_Hero_P.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did purchase one of those Power A Switch controllers, one of the Pro Controller Lite type pads as I wanted a wired option, it holds up surprisingly well...

...then I found out that you could just opt to use your Pro Controller in wired mode anyway instead of charging it and I stopped using it. :blush:

I also picked up the Hori pad with that... false D-pad that you can opt to take off to reveal four buttons underneath... it's fine but not quite as good.

For when Super Smash Bros comes out, I'm just going to use wired GameCube controllers I expect, unless I want to take loads of screenshots or captures.

These new Power A GameCube styled (almost) Pro Controllers will probably be of decent quality if you're looking for a cheaper Pro/GameCube Controller combination.

Also good if you want a wireless option to potentially use with other devices... if it has Bluetooth then it'll probably work with most things with a dongle I guess.

It's not rechargable by the looks of it though? It runs off AA batteries... so I suppose in a way it is like an updated Wavebird... except that uses RF instead of Bluetooth...

...plus I would wager that the Wavebird batteries would last much longer.

Anyway, it would seem to be an option in any case. :peace:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, S.C.G said:

It's not rechargable by the looks of it though? It runs off AA batteries... so I suppose in a way it is like an updated Wavebird... except that uses RF instead of Bluetooth...

...plus I would wager that the Wavebird batteries would last much longer.

Yeah, it's a double AA battery in it. But it's surprisingly solid with around 30 hour battery life. Probably because it doesn't have rumble feature. I'm gonna get a purple one, if not gold. I'll post my impressions when I have it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyway, whos ready to get owned by:

a448d791094fd9d3953ddb5d35689368.jpeg

Sheiks my boy/girl...Followed by Young Link (his battle cries are so nostalgic)

Edited by Falcon_Black

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Glen-i said:

It's a good point.

Much like the Wii Fit trainer, the video is probably referencing in game stuff.

 

 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Much like the Wii Fit trainer, the video is probably referencing in game stuff.

 

 

Man, I knew the Shield could block a lot of projectiles, but I didn't realise it was that effective! I cracked up at Din's Fire and the Blast Boxes!

Kinda reminds me of this.

 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What in the hell is with the price markup for this game? You can't seem to preorder it anywhere for less than £50! Even Shopto and Simply Games are charging £50 or more for the thing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really enjoyed the Direct.

I'm having the game for xmas. First time i've been excited for Smash since Melee. I had the Wii U version and didn't play it very much. I found that the single player stuff was dull to be honest. This looks much better!

Piranaha Plant made me laugh. It actually looks to be not a bad character. I'm happy that Walluigi didn't get announced - such a pointless character, who doesn't add anything.

Excited to get the game! So much content. I have no idea how I will pick my main, there is so many characters to choose from.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




Piranaha Plant made me laugh. It actually looks to be not a bad character. I'm happy that Walluigi didn't get announced - such a pointless character, who doesn't add anything.



You're on my list!

  • Weird 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

What in the hell is with the price markup for this game? You can't seem to preorder it anywhere for less than £50! Even Shopto and Simply Games are charging £50 or more for the thing. 

Smash Hype is a crazy thing. No way are stores gonna let that go cheaply. Combine that with Switch being popular and the dosh will just roll in.

Getting it digital myself, the less faffing around with swapping games for Smash, the better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/11/2018 at 11:57 AM, Glen-i said:

Then play online with the likes of @RedShell and me! We like all sorts of crazy setups! For Glory matches are pretty boring in comparison.

 

Man, I’m gutted there’s no custom stage building in Ultimate! :cry:

I know it’s never exactly been a very good tool (far from it actually :hehe:) but even so it was one of my favourite things to mess about with in Smash. And some of my most enjoyable multiplayer moments have come from playing on custom stages as well.

28 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Smash Hype is a crazy thing. No way are stores gonna let that go cheaply. Combine that with Switch being popular and the dosh will just roll in.

Getting it digital myself, the less faffing around with swapping games for Smash, the better.

Yeah, I’m still undecided about how I’m going to get the game. I should be getting a physical copy really, as this breaks my 10GB+ rule. But at the same time there’s also much less of a difference in price between the digital and physical versions, and like you say, the less faffing with swapping games the better for Smash... :hmm: 

Maybe I just won’t get it at all, in protest of it not having the stage builder. :heh: 

 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got digital which is £60, but you get double gold points, so works out effectively as £54.

£4 extra to always have it on the system

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Glen-i said:

Smash Hype is a crazy thing. No way are stores gonna let that go cheaply. Combine that with Switch being popular and the dosh will just roll in.

Getting it digital myself, the less faffing around with swapping games for Smash, the better.

I think the price has just shot up in recent weeks. It was around £42-£45 not too long ago but it has shot up since then.

I'll probably still go with a physical copy. It's rare that I play more than a couple of games at any given time so there won't be much swapping of carts needed. Plus, I can't see me playing online much, if at all, with the game so it will probably get shelved after i've finished the single player content.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I think the price has just shot up in recent weeks. It was around £42-£45 not too long ago but it has shot up since then.

I'll probably still go with a physical copy. It's rare that I play more than a couple of games at any given time so there won't be much swapping of carts needed. Plus, I can't see me playing online much, if at all, with the game so it will probably get shelved after i've finished the single player content.

According to the price history on idealo it was at £41.85 in June, then it shot up to around £49. A couple of dips here and there since then, but it’s looking very unlikely that will happen again now.

Interesting for the physical and digital pricing to be so close.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, RedShell said:

According to the price history on idealo it was at £41.85 in June, then it shot up to around £49. A couple of dips here and there since then, but it’s looking very unlikely that will happen again now.

Interesting for the physical and digital pricing to be so close.

I really should have just preordered it earlier. I was always going to buy it but didn't stick my preorder in for some reason, even though I had preordered a bunch of other games I wanted during the course of this year and the next. It must have just slipped through the cracks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Normally I just go out and buy games on release and get a physical copy. My reasoning is that with a digital copy you don't really "own" it, you license it. With a physical copy you own it. Also, I don't see much reason in buying a game digitally and take up system space over a physical copy unless the physical copy involves playing the game digitally anyway. I mainly only get old games and indie games as downloads especially if I don't own the original console (for example the DKC games on SNES I bought on Wii VC).

 

For Smash I am considering the pre-order to get the Piranha Plant for free, especially since I will probably buy the DLC later down the line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think i must have been lucky, got mine for £43 with a steel case from Shopto (ordered in June straight after E3)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, GenericAperson said:

Normally I just go out and buy games on release and get a physical copy. My reasoning is that with a digital copy you don't really "own" it, you license it. With a physical copy you own it. Also, I don't see much reason in buying a game digitally and take up system space over a physical copy unless the physical copy involves playing the game digitally anyway. I mainly only get old games and indie games as downloads especially if I don't own the original console (for example the DKC games on SNES I bought on Wii VC).

 

For Smash I am considering the pre-order to get the Piranha Plant for free, especially since I will probably buy the DLC later down the line.

This isn't really true, you're still buying a license but the delivery of the software is different. It's just harder for them to take it away from you.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RedShell said:

Man, I’m gutted there’s no custom stage building in Ultimate! :cry:

Me too, I never made many myself, but the ones I got from you and other N-Europer's made for some proper hilarity. Stamina Mode being a thing outside of Special Mode could have made some new possibilities in what kind of layouts you could make in Stage Builder.

Great Smash Ball (The one RedShell made in the GIF above) is a genuine popular pick at my community centre that it's gonna upset quite a few kids when I have to tell them that there's no way to recreate it in Ultimate.

Yes, I know. 103 stages is a great amount of stages that should help keep some variety going, but sometimes I want to have a stage that throws any semblance of balance out of the window. Sometimes I want to play on a stage that has a big massive insurmountable wall in the middle, and the only way to win is to grab the most S-Flags in 3 minutes. And how am I supposed to create a stage based around Tetris!? What am I gonna use the music for now? A proper stage!? That's boring!

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Spoiler

Assist Trophy: Spring Man

Spring Man jumps and dashes around the stage while using his stretchy arms to punch, punch, punch – just like he does in ARMS. In a pinch, he can unleash his powerful rush attack to pummel the opponent!

200_1.jpg

200_2.jpg

Pour one out for the 9 people who was sure he'd be playable over on the prediction thread.

A lot of points were lost that day.

 

  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

What in the hell is with the price markup for this game? You can't seem to preorder it anywhere for less than £50! Even Shopto and Simply Games are charging £50 or more for the thing. 

The RRP is actually £59.99.  That's why.

 

And no, there's no good reason for it at all.  The game is significantly more expensive in Europe than anywhere else in the world, simply just 'cause.

 

It's not even because of the game's budget! Most of the game's content is just recycled from previous games! It's just because they know that they can get away with it.

 

BTW, I had no idea that Link's shield was that amazing in Smash 4! :o Might have to try playing as him more...

 

7 hours ago, RedShell said:

Man, I’m gutted there’s no custom stage building in Ultimate! :cry:

I know it’s never exactly been a very good tool (far from it actually :hehe:) but even so it was one of my favourite things to mess about with in Smash. And some of my most enjoyable multiplayer moments have come from playing on custom stages as well.

Yeah, I’m still undecided about how I’m going to get the game. I should be getting a physical copy really, as this breaks my 10GB+ rule. But at the same time there’s also much less of a difference in price between the digital and physical versions, and like you say, the less faffing with swapping games the better for Smash... :hmm: 

Maybe I just won’t get it at all, in protest of it not having the stage builder. :heh: 

 

Yeah, if it doesn't have the stage builder, that's gonna be a huge shame.  I had hours of fun making stupid, ridiculous stages using that thing; even with its hilariously limited tools!

 

You won't be able to make up nearly as many ridiculous custom game rules without it... hardly an Ultimate experience...

 

... that being said, it hasn't been de-confirmed yet... There's still a chance!! Believe!!

 

Edited by Dcubed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

It's not even because of the game's budget! Most of the game's content is just recycled from previous games! It's just because they know that they can get away with it.

I have to say that's a little unfair given how much content is in the game. Most if not all of the character models have been improved and it's a brand new engine running the game.

They're charging full price because it's a full price game and one of their major tentpoles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites