NEurope
Julius

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

31 minutes ago, Ronnie said:
  Hide contents

As someone who isn't a Smash expert, what did it do in previous games? Let you watch Subspace Emissary type cutscenes?

The quality of the cutscenes and character intros so far have been insanely good. Not far off animated film quality.

Spoiler

In Brawl, it did exactly that.

In Smash WiiU, it lets you watch the character reveal trailers that were shown in the buildup to it's release.

The interesting thing is that Ultimate has both of those. Well, it definitely has one story mode cutscene and 6 character reveal trailers. So my guess would be that both of those are rewatchable.

• Thanks 1

I am disappointed by Incineroar, but pleased at everything else (yes, I am stoked for Ken. And Piranha Plant). Also, I love the Fire Emblem representation. Owain as a Spirit battle? Titania and Nino as Spirits? Yes!

The one thing I'm still not feeling is that nonsense about the Gamecube controller and adapter having to be bought separately. Ah well, in for a penny, in for a pound.

Finally caught up with it...

That bloody SakuraiBias strikes again! From the very second the final part of the video started I instantly knew that Kirby would be the sole survivor! :laughing:

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Finally caught up with it...

That bloody SakuraiBias strikes again! From the very second the final part of the video started I instantly knew that Kirby would be the sole survivor! :laughing:

Well, for what it's worth. Whenever a kid from my community centre starts Smash for the first time and asks who I recommend, I always recommend them playing as Kirby first. He's a good beginner character, with his simple moveset and multiple mid-air jumps.

Ha! I just finished watching the direct as well, not more than five minutes ago. :D

December can't arrive quick enough. :peace:

World of Light looks incredible! It's not Subspace Emissary 2, it was never going to be, but it looks much more substantial than Melee's Adventure mode and much meatier than I was expecting!

Also Piranha Plant is just unbelievable! Everything about it is so insanely stupid and WTF that I am convinced that Sakurai and his team were on drugs when they came up with the idea! (No, let's not have Goomba, or Koopa, or Boo.  NO! Let's have a character that can't even walk! BRILLIANT!!) I LOVE IT! :D He's the new Wii Fit Trainer of this game for sure! :laughing:

Those two things absolutely saved this Direct.  Otherwise it was a bit of a lame duck really.  Spirits Mode looks lame (It's basically just the return of stickers from Brawl), no Smash Run/Tour, All Star Mode is gone, no more Trophies (NO MORE TROPHIES!! :cry:), minimal DLC (and only 5 new stages - with an invisible season pass to boot), so much missing stuff and the final two new characters (not counting Pirahna Plant) absolutely suck balls.  It even has fewer challenges on the Challenge Board than in Smash Wii U; and the Wolf Amiibo looks like a Happy Meal toy.  It was really disappointing right up until the end, when they pulled those rabbits out of their hat.

... Also sneaky Shantae inclusion, I really appreciated that :) 

Edited by Dcubed

Just now, Dcubed said:

All Star Mode is gone

No, that's still in. They mention it very briefly, around the same time they mention Endless Mode.

Glad to see it's not without flaws. Smash on wii U kinda killed the series for me, for me brawl, melee and even the original all have their points, but the wii U version... it lacked depth. tbh I think the world of light thing would have made the game fun for me though, at the very least. Wish that it was available on the wii u as dlc (though I imagine 80% of the owners of smash on wii U own a switch so obv. that was never going to happen!)

2 minutes ago, Jonnas said:

No, that's still in. They mention it very briefly, around the same time they mention Endless Mode.

All Star Mode isn't All Star Mode anymore.  It's just a variant of Endless Smash now.

I get that they realised how insanely long it would take to complete All Star Mode now, with the ridiculous amount of characters they have here, but to not even have a cut down version here is super lame.

There's nothing to really do in single player now except for Classic Mode and World of Light (Does it even have the stadium minigames like Homerun Contest anymore? Or any Event Matches? I don't see them anywhere!)

Edited by Dcubed

I love that Springman couldn't get in, but bloody Piranha Plant managed it! That is so funny that I can't stop laughing! :laughing:

Edited by Dcubed
  • Haha 1

@Dcubed raises a good point. I didn't see any sign of Home-Run Contest on the site.

But I will not have him talk smack about Incineroar! He literally has to pose after every attack. That's bloody hilarious!

And Spirits Mode is basically Event mode anyway. All the fights are themed around one of the spirits. So I don't know what you're on about.

5 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

I love that Springman couldn't get in, but bloody Piranha Plant managed it! That is so funny that I can't stop laughing! :laughing:

Piranha Plant is more important than Waluigi!

Also @Dcubed, you're wrong there's more challenges than WiiU.

There's around 111 in Ultimate.

Edited by Glen-i
Got that number wrong
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

@Dcubed raises a good point. I didn't see any sign of Home-Run Contest on the site.

But I will not have him talk smack about Incineroar! He literally has to pose after every attack. That's bloody hilarious!

And Spirits Mode is basically Event mode anyway. All the fights are themed around one of the spirits. So I don't know what you're on about.

It's not really quite the same.  The matches don't seem to have specific win conditions like in Event Match.  It's just a set of normal fights with wacky parameters, there don't seem to be any variable win conditions at all, so there isn't nearly as much variety and craft to the gameplay.

I think they've basically taken Event Match and put them all into World of Light.

As for Incineroar? I do agree that his poses are hilarious, but really? THAT's the character you end on?

Coming from Ridley and bloody K-Rool? It's hard to not be disappointed.

Edited by Dcubed

Just now, Dcubed said:

It's not really quite the same.  The matches don't seem to have specific win conditions like in Event Match.  It's just a set of normal fights with wacky parameters, there don't seem to be any variable win conditions at all, so there isn't nearly as much variety.

Fair point, but I did notice that some were Stamina matches. So it's not all Basic Smash.

1 minute ago, Glen-i said:

Fair point, but I did notice that some were Stamina matches. So it's not all Basic Smash.

Yeah true, it's more like Crazy Orders with stickers.  Which is neat, but it's no replacement for Event Match.

Hopefully I'm right and all the cool events are to be found in World of Light.  It does look that way from what I can tell...

4 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

As for Incineroar? I do agree that his poses are hilarious, but really? THAT's the character you end on?

Coming from Ridley and bloody K-Rool? It's hard to not be disappointed.

Smash 4's last character revealed was Shulk, who was such a nobody before that.

6 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

All Star Mode isn't All Star Mode anymore.  It's just a variant of Endless Smash now.

There's nothing to really do in single player now except for Classic Mode and World of Light (Does it even have the stadium minigames like Homerun Contest anymore? Or any Event Matches? I don't see them anywhere!)

Ah, I was the one who had misinterpreted. Sorry!

I think Spirits Mode is going to give us more variety than you give it credit for. One of them was to knock out a stationary K.Rool while a Ghirahim Trophy battles you. That's an honest attempt at an alternate win condition.

Just now, Glen-i said:

Piranha Plant is more important than Waluigi!

Polygon just posted an article called "Super Smash Bros. roster set without Waluigi, bumming out his fan". Appropriate.

• Haha 2

5 unannounced DLC fighters? Still a small chance of winning @Glen-i's prediction contest then. 

Spoiler

Isaac only an assist trophy, gives slightly more chance of Mia being a DLC fighter right? :heh:

• Haha 2

Smash Bros Ultimate takes up 13.6GB of space for those getting the digital version.

That's actually ridiculously small! It's much smaller than Smash Wii U! Either there is some ninja compression tech going on, or there's gonna be an optional download for the videos and music...

• Like 1

That song... Nintendo lately has been like that season of Grey's Anatomy where they used nothing but acoustic covers of songs. Not a criticism, but just "so you're really into this now? Okay" 

Holding out hope that Rick will at least be a spirit even though I don't really understand what those are. 

• Like 2

I have mixed feelings coming out of that Direct, but that might be my fault kind of. The fact that Incineroar was the last base roster character to be revealed was a bit disappointing but that's still a very solid 69 styles and 74 characters among the base roster. Piranha Plant is definitely going to top future "biggest joke characters in fighting games" lists. I mean, who would have predicted that a Piranha Plant would make the roster over many other highly requested characters?

I also suspect Bandai Namco may have had a larger say in the creative process this time around. A lot of what I can see from Smash Ultimate is a bit like what has been used in their other fighting games which leads me to think that they may have a template which they use for their games with features put in and taken out to save costs and maximise profit on multiple fighting games. Obviously they are only a portion of the development of this game but... team battle was a feature that Bandai Namco themselves had added in to the Switch version of Pokken Tournament. A lot of modern fighting game trends are showing up such as revealing plans for five DLC characters and announced one before the game was even out to encourage people to pre-order. Something similar happened with another Bandai Namco game, Soulcalibur VI, when they announced a DLC character available as part of a pre-order for a season pass although that was handled in a much worse way as the full roster had yet to be revealed for that game at the time. Lo and behold, Smash Bros. has a season pass. However I think there is a lot more value to this DLC than SCVI as for slightly more money you are not only getting a character but also a stage and music. Thank you Sakurai for reigning in Bandai Namco in an attempt to keep things respectable, even more so than the fact that you've gone against tradition with every other game in your market by putting a 74 character roster on one Switch cartridge.

The new World of Light mode looks like the single player mode 4 was solely missing and I'm very glad that they've got one even if it's not going to be as story focused... so I'm going to suspect that this may not be very cutscene heavy. There will be a few cinematics in the game at key moments such as the one we saw but I think this is primarily going to be a gameplay focused single player mode, not that that's a bad thing. The whole "RPG map" style thing where you travel around a world map and take part in individual fight events seems a bit like the Libra of Souls mode in Soulcalibur VI where in that game you have an RPG mode where you travel the world with a custom character and fight individual fights with different conditions which, if I'm not mistaken, is what World of Light is also doing. Not that that's a bad thing though, I think a mode like that would be very welcome in Smash Bros.

One feature of Smash 4 I spent ages on was Mii Fighters. I posted the fruits of my labours in the previous pages of this thread... so I'm pleased to see that the aspect of that side of things is being improved to some degree with more outfits and most importantly, customisable voices so that you can hopefully get your Mii to sound like the character you are trying to make AND being able to change the colour of the outfits. That would be well and good but... I've been kind of spoiled by another character creator. So, personally it will be a bit of a downgrade to go from this:

DqRPQtuWkAAoS90.jpg

to this:

8eSHDDN.png

But fair enough, Nintendo has an in-built Character Creator in their systems so it's not like they are going to let any of their first party games have too much more than what already exists. And it's Smash Bros, people are going to see your unique fighters anyway due to how easily it lends itself as a multiplayer game.

• Thanks 1

content-4-35651-supersmashbrosultimatedirect01112018.jpg

Here's the N-Europe Roundup of the direct. :peace:

(press release and link to the video)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Ike said:

Tempted to get it digitally so it's always available to play. Hmmm...

I am too, but then again... that box art...

ssb-ultimate-boxart-rp-banner-900x576.jp

Beautiful :cry: