NEurope
Julius

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

I recall Sakurai suggesting a couple of years ago that the final roster had been decided and that it was Nintendo themselves who chose the actual characters (Sakurai would report back to Nintendo’s suggestions as to whether he could make them work in the game).

Trying to then think like Nintendo would think sadly though, is nigh-on impossible!

I think the Halo team are trolling with all the Master Chief hints.  I could see a Phoenix Wright or Professor Layton, even though I’m not sure they’re big enough reveals to leave until last.  I’d be ok with either.

I can imagine Disney being difficult in allowing Sora & MGM with James Bond (both would be popular enough reveals though).  I don’t think Nintendo would relent with Waluigi so my more realistic expectation would be a mascot such as Rayman or Crash.  Like others have said, I can’t think of any single announcement that would avoid mass disappointment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, WackerJr said:

Trying to then think like Nintendo would think sadly though, is nigh-on impossible!

I think the Halo team are trolling with all the Master Chief hints.  I could see a Phoenix Wright or Professor Layton, even though I’m not sure they’re big enough reveals to leave until last.  I’d be ok with either.

I can imagine Disney being difficult in allowing Sora & MGM with James Bond (both would be popular enough reveals though).  I don’t think Nintendo would relent with Waluigi so my more realistic expectation would be a mascot such as Rayman or Crash.  Like others have said, I can’t think of any single announcement that would avoid mass disappointment.

As far as I see it, I don't think any third party company is getting 2 characters in one pass, so I wouldn't put money on Namco, Square or Microsoft getting that last spot.

This idea of ending on something huge is always amusing to me, because Smash is notorious for ending on a character that's not exactly groundbreaking.

Brawl's last character revealed before release was Olimar. For 3DS/WiiU had Shulk, with the DLC ending on Corrin + Bayonetta, and Ultimate ended on Incineroar + Ken. And then Fighter's Pass 1 ended with Byleth.

When niche little series Bayonetta (Which came about from that vote) is the biggest finisher to date, I wouldn't expect that to change much for this.

Out of every character not in Smash, Sora is probably the biggest one that would make me go "Wow, they actually pulled it off!" There have been rumours going around that Nintendo have actually tried getting Sora in the fourth Smash somewhere, but Disney wouldn't cut a deal. Don't know how true that is, but it wouldn't surprise me.

And James Bond breaks the only rule Sakurai has actually stated (Character must have originated from a video game), so that's not gonna happen while he's working on it. Good, you don't want those floodgates opening. Trust me on this.

And Waluigi is still an assist trophy. If Spring Man couldn't get past that, I don't see Waluigi getting through.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

I feel like that's gonna get patched...

I hope not, that should be the punishment for playing Sephiroth.

Can't wait to try him out tonight against you guys (its 20:00 right?) He's really tough to approach with, but if you get into a rhythm you absolutely destroy. Worst of all is if you have a stage with any kind of corner you can just 0-death anyone. Can't wait until I see someone get good with him, going to be majestic.

2 minutes ago, LazyBoy said:

I hope not, that should be the punishment for playing Sephiroth.

Can't wait to try him out tonight against you guys (its 20:00 right?) He's really tough to approach with, but if you get into a rhythm you absolutely destroy. Worst of all is if you have a stage with any kind of corner you can just 0-death anyone. Can't wait until I see someone get good with him, going to be majestic.

Yep, 8pm.

Best claim a costume, because I'm putting together a highlight reel and it'd be nice to easily identify everyone.

Heads up, @markderoos, the Sophia and Arthur spirits are available through normal methods now.

EDIT:

Yes, I have gone back and refought every spirit fight to build up that score, and with mostly underpowered teams to boot!

I hope we break the 1,500 mark, it's cutting it fine at this point.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Glen-i said:

Yep, 8pm.

Best claim a costume, because I'm putting together a highlight reel and it'd be nice to easily identify everyone.

Millennium silver please. Started off in the purple, but the Y2K vibes drew me in.

5 minutes ago, LazyBoy said:

Millennium silver please. Started off in the purple, but the Y2K vibes drew me in.

That's a good thing, because @BowserBasher already claimed the purple suit.

Sorry lads, late change of plans, not going to make it tonight 

Smakken highlight video is done!

Includes a 23 Hit Combo Sandwich, Yummy Bees, a runaway crate, an epic capsule punch, and a healthy dose of yodeling!

Featuring me as Blue Trousers Kazuya, @S.C.G as Red Trousers, @Dcubed as Gold Suit and @BowserBasher as Purple Suit.

@RedShell played as Ryu, except for the fight with Min Min, where he played as Kirby. And @Sprout was basically everyone else (Including White Trousers), because he can't make up his damn mind!

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Damn, that was quick @Glen-i! :o

Nicely edited vid. :cool: 

Someone should send the combo sandwich part to Sakurai as feedback for the next patch. :laughing: 

• Thanks 1

Awesome work @Glen-i yeah sudden death I was like hold on *presses B* winner. 😂 

don’t patch that combo sandwich. That was awesome. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, RedShell said:

Someone should send the combo sandwich part to Sakurai as feedback for the next patch. :laughing: 

I feel like that's low priority on the list of needed Kazuya patches.

7 hours ago, Glen-i said:

And @Sprout was basically everyone else (Including White Trousers), because he can't make up his damn mind!

I cannot be restrained, and my mind cannot be fathomed. Case in point:

On 7/1/2021 at 3:21 PM, Glen-i said:

Yes, I have gone back and refought every spirit fight to build up that score, and with mostly underpowered teams to boot!

I hope we break the 1,500 mark, it's cutting it fine at this point.

Fighting every spirit battle in the game, that is certainly pushing the limits of sensibility. But I implore you, if you wish to remain human, to keep your sanity intact, then this is as far as you should go. Because past this point is where only fools dare to tread. Do not cross that line.

33vRYDD.png

So anyway I crossed that line about a year ago and this is what the score currently looks like if you defeat every spirit battle without using spirits yourself.
But for really and for truly, do not do this. Only madness lies beyond the line. You may have noticed that I'm not all there myself. Heh heh hee hee heeEEeeEEeeEEeeEEeeEE~

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Weird 1

31 minutes ago, Sprout said:

I cannot be restrained, and my mind cannot be fathomed. Case in point:

Fighting every spirit battle in the game, that is certainly pushing the limits of sensibility. But I implore you, if you wish to remain human, to keep your sanity intact, then this is as far as you should go. Because past this point is where only fools dare to tread. Do not cross that line.

33vRYDD.png

So anyway I crossed that line about a year ago and this is what the score currently looks like if you defeat every spirit battle without using spirits yourself.
But for really and for truly, do not do this. Only madness lies beyond the line. You may have noticed that I'm not all there myself. Heh heh hee hee heeEEeeEEeeEEeeEEeeEE~

I don't understand how that's even possible!

I'm thinking about how difficult some of the Legend classes are, and I don't even want to imagine how much it takes to pull it off with no spirit team!

And what do you do if a time limit is introduced!?

I'm happy with just doing them with teams around the same power level, thank you very much.

• Thanks 1

Ok here’s my vids, first is from one of RedShells custom stages and it was just absolute mayhem I had to get it recorded. Second is just a mix of a few fun moments  probably mostly seen in Glens video.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, RedShell said:

Sakurai: "...This sandwich needs to be easier to land"

• Haha 4

Since the themed Smash night of characters that I haven't beaten 9.9 with, I've been reinvigorated to carry on with that.

I beat Marth, Pichu, and Fox a while before that theme night, mind.

For context, all 6 of Dr. Mario's fights are 3 against 1. (If I have to explain why, you need to play more Dr. Mario) Cute idea, absolute nightmare on the highest difficulty!

Whoever decided to make Little Mac's final boss Master Hand/Crazy Hand is a very mean person. "Let's give the character with the worst aerial game the boss that needs the most jumping!" Luckily, I reached 9.9 before the final boss, so I just ticketed my way through it.

Pac-Man was proper clutch though! I was at 9.1 when Dracula rolled around, I struggle with that second form. Still easier then the hands, at least!

17 more characters to go!

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 2

On 26-8-2021 at 11:11 PM, Glen-i said:

@markderoos, there's a No More Heroes 3 Spirit Event coming this weekend.

Yeah, got them all and leveled up again. Travis spirit can be enhanced by the way.

• Thanks 1

Just over 6 hours to go!

3pm, UK time.

In before someone clings to false hope about how it's only the final "Mr. Sakurai Presents" and not the final fighter.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 4

On October 5th at 15:00 (UK time), Super Smash Bros. Ultimate director Masahiro Sakurai will reveal the game's final fighter. Who could it be? The fighter's release date and final Mii Fighter costumes will also be revealed! The presentation will be roughly 40 minutes long, and it will be the last presentation about Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

40 mins is pretty chunky!

You could say that it's...

4c3.png

• Haha 2
  • Weird 1