NEurope
Julius

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

I guess it was inevitable after the other 3rd party stuff and closer collaboration with Microsoft.

I struggle to understand the appeal of those graphics. I'm fed up when new Fire Emblem characters are announced, but at least they look like they belong in the Smash universe. This just looks like some really crappy fan mod.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mandalore said:

I struggle to understand the appeal of those graphics. I'm fed up when new Fire Emblem characters are announced, but at least they look like they belong in the Smash universe. This just looks like some really crappy fan mod.

So in other words, Smash Bros nailed the look? Minecraft has always looked a bit crummy.

Let's face it, we're all a bunch of old people here, but let's not show it by shouting at clouds.

I'm looking forward to the Smash new character session. Those are always funny when no-one is quite used to a character.

Edited by Glen-i

This is shit. Didn't even watch the full trailer, and I want my money back. First time I've been disappointed by a character choice..

• Thanks 1

I don't like Minecraft but this is the second best DLC character so far. 

50 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

(First, Min Min, and now Steve. Is this Fighter's Pass going to consist solely of characters from games I don't like? Guess Crash is totes in then)

My thoughts exactly.  It absolutely deserves to be represented due to its popularity & I do think it will draw interest from people that may not have noticed Smash before.  Is it for me though? No. I could draw a huge list of characters I’d love to see.

If we’re guessing characters now based on the popularity of their games, well, as Minecraft is No.1, GTA V No.2 (but hasn’t been on a Nintendo console), that brings us to No.3... Tetris.  Looks like L-block may be next, @Ronnie will be happy! 😄

• Like 1

Finally was able to watch the trailer.

That Final Smash is hilarious!
There's a lot of potential with being able to spawn in blocks, wonder if you can block off the edge with it. (Probably not, that would seem a tad broken)

EDIT: The ResetEra thread perfectly exemplifies the fact that most of ResetEra are out of touch. It apparently broke Twitter when it happened. But I did find this perfect reference.

234.png

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 3

While looking through the prediction thread, I noticed I said this over 2 years ago.

Steve would appeal more to the younger demographic while Banjo would appease the long time fans. It would be a surprisingly tough decision from a business perspective.

I was right, it was too difficult, so they went this route.

tenor.gif

• Haha 3

Sweden made it into Smash! The youth is jubilant, the elderly have become Cranky, and this character has so little personality or design, I refuse to call him "Steve" (I shall call them Minecraft, because that's the real newcomer).

It fits my personal standard of "utterly unexpected". I kinda dig (and then make blocks out of) it.

As someone that has never played minecraft nor really gets it, this is a bit of a letdown. But the trailer did make him look like a unique character and I’ll give him the benefit of doubt. I don’t think he’ll be a favourite of mine but our first all minecraft smash night could be fun. 
Now Nintendo, give us a Nintendo character for the next DLC please. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BowserBasher said:

Now Nintendo, give us a Nintendo character for the next DLC please. 

The two characters before Steve were Min Min and Byleth though?

Steve uses a sword approximately as much as Byleth does

embrace this knowledge

You know what, random dude on Era? This might be true.

That's kinda funny. Hope we don't have to wait too long. I bet the Classic Mode route involves a bunch of characters associated with creation. (Villager, Mario in the builder outfit)

I think @Glen-i is right. This might just be us being too old and grumpy to truly appreciate the inclusion. I don't really mind and he looks unique enough (though he is actually a sword user, that's true!), and I like the stage.  

2 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

I think @Glen-i is right. This might just be us being too old and grumpy to truly appreciate the inclusion. I don't really mind and he looks unique enough (though he is actually a sword user, that's true!), and I like the stage.  

I'm glad the Minecraft stage takes cues from the Mario Maker stage and has multiple layouts. It's basically 4 stages in one (At least 4, not sure if there's more yet. Suppose we'll find out two days from now).

Speaking of stages, every stage in Ultimate had to be reworked to be able to implement Steve's mechanics!

"The plan for the fighter is easy to create. The graphics should also be straightforward. The motion is relatively simple, and the sound is comparable to other fighters. There are plenty of things to consider, but we don't need to implement any voices.

What's difficult, however, is the programming work required to bring the character to life. It's a massive challenge. Plus, we have to rework all our existing stages so that blocks can be placed in them. What about biomes? We also need to consider things like those. And most importantly, how do we adjust the game balance to accommodate the new fighter? Who knows what'll happen?

That's nuts! Smash really does go all in on making a character work!

Source

47 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

The two characters before Steve were Min Min and Byleth though?

Ok. Well known main first party or well known franchise characters. Though Min Min is awesome. 

4 minutes ago, BowserBasher said:

Ok. Well known main first party or well known franchise characters.

Uhhh... Care to give some examples? I feel like all of Nintendo's biggest characters are already in Smash.

Fire Emblem: Three Houses is also selling the most out of any Fire Emblem game. Even more than Awakening did. Byleth is more well known than you might think.

Edited by Glen-i

I’m no Minecraft fan at all, but I’m happy with this new fighter. He seems to add a really unique fighting style to the mix.

content-4-36349-supersmashbrosultimateminecraftstevepresentationroundupbanner.jpg

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Minecraft Steve presentation Roundup

All up on the main page.

Full press release, statement from Mojang Studios and a video embed of the presentation. :smile:

I get how big Minecraft is, I'm glad that this is something the fans of the series and the developer are grateful for...

...I just don't think that Minecraft is that great, but then, I'm not the target audience, so this doesn't matter. ::shrug:

But, we did get Banjo-Kazooie... so if Minecraft was part of the Microsoft deal, then it was still worth it, as two different fanbases are satisfied. :peace:

That's how I'm going to rationalise it, anyway, we've got a new character being added to Smash and at least there's more to look forward to.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Uhhh... Care to give some examples? I feel like all of Nintendo's biggest characters are already in Smash.

Kaqttx8.jpg

45 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Fire Emblem: Three Houses is also selling the most out of any Fire Emblem game. Even more than Awakening did. Byleth is more well known than you might think.

Well other than my Champions idea I have nothing quite yet. Maybe another Pokémon or Boo somehow. I know the game has become about the whole of gaming history, I just feel it’s taking it away from being a Nintendo focussed game. 

26 minutes ago, Cube said:

Kaqttx8.jpg

Literally have no idea what game that is...

1 minute ago, Glen-i said:

Literally have no idea what game that is...

It's General Yamanouchi Kagetora. He studied the warrior form The Way of Ninten and uses his big ball to obliterate his enemies (and sometimes his own soldiers).

(Joking aside, I think a pinball fighter could be quite a unique and fun addition).

• Thanks 1

I would say I can't believe the negativity, but it is the internet, and gamers are a spoilt bunch. Is there any reasonable objection to this apart from "but I wanted MY favourite character"?

Is Minecraft a substantial part of video game history? Of course

On a Nintendo platform? Far more than Cloud ever was

A valuable addition to the actual game? Well the block placing thing looks truly unique, so yes.

So what's the problem?

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, LazyBoy said:

I would say I can't believe the negativity, but it is the internet, and gamers are a spoilt bunch. Is there any reasonable objection to this apart from "but I wanted MY favourite character"?

Is Minecraft a substantial part of video game history? Of course

On a Nintendo platform? Far more than Cloud ever was

A valuable addition to the actual game? Well the block placing thing looks truly unique, so yes.

So what's the problem?

Yeah, the meltdowns have been hilarious. I think it's a great addition and looks wonderfully unique. As @Glen-i pointed out, they have really gone to town on this character.

Joker has never been on a Nintendo system. Snake and Cloud are synonymous with Sony. Bayonetta made her name long before the Wii U game. I don't understand the salt, but still, it's funny. 

I DON'T LIKE THE THING

While "Steve" might not be an instantly recognisable character or anyone really of note, it's hard to ignore the fact, and it is a fact, that

Minecraft is the best selling video game of all time

giphy.gif

If anyone doesn't like this addition, I have a secret for you...

4gzmrk.jpg

For anyone who is disappointed and already bought the full DLC... Well, that's on you ::shrug:

Edited by Nicktendo
  • Like 4

Steve and his comrades are a great addition. I got madly obsessed with Minecraft in 2016 after buying it on a whim on WiiU and carried on the obsession in a much healthier way when it came onto switch. This seems like a perfect fit and the only thing that would have made me happier is a Tokyo Mirage Sessions character but I guess that would fall under Fire Emblem territory and that has enough representation to last the entire Smash roster for eternity. 

I'm digging the multi-level Mario Maker type stage too. Banjo boomers and Minecraft kids can all be happy! 

And this was initially shocking but makes perfect sense now, The Super Mario pack exclusive to WiiU and Switch is one of the best to ever grace MC and it's consistently at the top of the Switch charts, or it was when that's something I paid attention to a year or two ago :laughing:

• Like 1