NEurope
Julius

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Always fun to return to the game for new spirits, too bad it’s always just a few and they’re so easy to beat. The ones that come with a new challenger tend to be a bit more difficult though. Or at least some of them are.

Oh well, let’s wait for a new batch!

I really just play for fun and am by no means a skilled player but for some reason I went in and done some more sprites tonight (probably based on the Paper Mario sprites.) I don’t think I’ll ever get all so these milestones were a welcome to me. I’ve only just seen the DLC ones and hardly ever go back to these. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, markderoos said:

Always fun to return to the game for new spirits, too bad it’s always just a few and they’re so easy to beat. The ones that come with a new challenger tend to be a bit more difficult though. Or at least some of them are.

Oh well, let’s wait for a new batch!

It's probably because these events never have a Legend Spirit while the DLC packs always have one.

I'm currently going through the Spirit List and doing the rematches. It's neat, because you don't get a lot of points if you use your strongest teams. So you have to level the playing field by using weaker teams to get those high scores. Even some of the 1-star ones are tough when you go in with no spirit team.

Unfortunately, there's still no way to quickly rematch the bosses...

• Like 1

This is quite embarrassing to admit, but my 5 year old daughter (soon to be 6 if that makes it any better) regularly kicks my arse on this game. I just have no idea what is going on haha. I need some tuition like in that early episode of The Simpsons where Bart beats Homer at the boxing game  :laughing:

4 hours ago, Dog-amoto said:

This is quite embarrassing to admit, but my 5 year old daughter (soon to be 6 if that makes it any better) regularly kicks my arse on this game. I just have no idea what is going on haha. I need some tuition like in that early episode of The Simpsons where Bart beats Homer at the boxing game  :laughing:

Did you have any prior experience with Smash or is this the first game in the franchise you’ve played?

4 hours ago, Dog-amoto said:

I routinely got my butt handed to me by 12 year olds back before Covid stopped that.

Just be proud that she's learned well.

9 hours ago, markderoos said:

Did you have any prior experience with Smash or is this the first game in the franchise you’ve played?

I played a bit of Melee a while ago. Spent a while learning all the moves and stuff then got my arse handed to me by someone who just button mashed so I decided this was not a game for me. Always find I’m wrestling with the controls, like I can never do the thing I want to do consistently. Then I find myself just falling off the edge as I struggle to keep up with what’s going on. 

9 hours ago, Glen-i said:

I routinely got my butt handed to me by 12 year olds back before Covid stopped that.

Just be proud that she's learned well.

Oh I am proud. But also disgusted with myself :laughing:

Just now, Dog-amoto said:

Always find I’m wrestling with the controls, like I can never do the thing I want to do consistently. Then I find myself just falling off the edge as I struggle to keep up with what’s going on. 

Do you find yourself jumping when you actually want to attack upwards? Do you find yourself struggling to get back on to the stage after getting sent flying? Or is it a case of not being able to consistently do actions that require tapping the control stick?

In my experience, those are the three biggest hurdles that most of the kids I've introduced to Smash face.

19 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Do you find yourself jumping when you actually want to attack upwards? Do you find yourself struggling to get back on to the stage after getting sent flying? Or is it a case of not being able to consistently do actions that require tapping the control stick?

In my experience, those are the three biggest hurdles that most of the kids I've introduced to Smash face.

You’ve pretty much described my main problems right there :bowdown:

Sometimes I go flying off the stage, I know you can do two jumps and an upwards attack to get back on, but it’s sometimes like I’ve already done one or both of the jumps, probably accidentally as I can’t seem to jump any more. It also doesn’t feel natural to jump with the Y button, like that should be an attack button. I’m assuming the controls can be remapped, just not sure what would work best.

35 minutes ago, Dog-amoto said:

Sometimes I go flying off the stage, I know you can do two jumps and an upwards attack to get back on, but it’s sometimes like I’ve already done one or both of the jumps, probably accidentally as I can’t seem to jump any more.

First of all, it's actually only one mid-air jump for the majority of characters. The second jump you're thinking of is the jump you do to get off the ground. If you're sent flying, you're not on the ground anymore, so you can't jump off the ground in the first place.

As for the accidently using your jump issue. That's probably "Stick Jump" messing you up. Stick Jump is what lets people jump by tapping the stick upwards. However, this is at odds with the way you attack in Smash Bros. It can be very hard to attack upwards without accidently jumping because of this.

I recommend pressing ZR on the main menu and going to Options, then select Controls. Here, you can remap the buttons to something you might be more comfortable with. You can also enter your name, and set controls specifically for yourself so that if you choose your name on the character screen, the game will use the controls you set for yourself. Definitely use this.

When you're on the button remapping screen, you'll notice another section called "Other Settings" It's here you can turn off Stick Jump. I highly recommend doing that. There's also an option to tweak the sensitivity of the stick. If you find it difficult to pull off Smash Attacks (Tapping the stick while pressing attack), consider setting it to high. If you're having trouble with Tilt attacks (Tilting the stick slower while pressing attack), set it to low.

35 minutes ago, Dog-amoto said:

It also doesn’t feel natural to jump with the Y button, like that should be an attack button.

My advice is to treat Smash more like a platformer than an arcade fighter. You need to simply get out of the habit of using the stick to jump, because way more options open up to you when you turn off Stick Jump. (Also comes with the benefit of not accidently using your jump whenever you tilt upwards)

Play some matches with low level CPU's with Stick Jump off, so you're effectively forcing yourself to use the buttons to jump. With practice, it'll hopefully start to become second nature.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 1

I’m totally accustomed to stick jumping since the first game on N64. Still prefer playing with the gc controller but I’ve managed to get used to playing it handheld on Switch. Still with stick jump though.

But I think @Glen-i sums it up pretty good. What could help you @Dog-amoto get accustomed to the game is selecting fighters with easier recovery, like Kirby, Deedeedee, Meta Knight, etc.

• Thanks 1

Cheers for the tips guys, I’ll try them out next time I play. All this so I can beat a 5 year old. Hope you’re happy with yourselves :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Next fighter being revealed tomorrow at 15:00 BST!

Direct stream link:

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I haven't heard any rumours or speculation about who might come this time around. Is everyone completely clueless or have I just not paid enough attention? 

1 minute ago, MindFreak said:

I haven't heard any rumours or speculation about who might come this time around. Is everyone completely clueless or have I just not paid enough attention? 

I'm also completely clueless, I don't think there have been any rumours about this next one that I can remember. 

Should be interesting to see who they've chosen to go with! 

Come on Kiryu! :hehe: 

I need a reason to buy the 2nd fighters pass... and some points in the newcomer prediction thing. :heh: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, RedShell said:

Come on Kiryu! :hehe: 

I need a reason to buy the 2nd fighters pass... and some points in the newcomer prediction thing. :heh: 

Oh heck yeah, I'd be onboard with that! Or Majima.

Or the jolliest Yakuza character of all: Taichi. 

SUPER FLYING TAICHI KICK

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Come on Paper Mario my son!

Someone forgot that Origami King literally just got a Spirit Event...

If I were to use the timing as a basis for a guess, I'd say it coincides closest to either Pokémon or Hyrule Warriors.

So, I'm gonna go with a Gen 8 Pokémon, hopefully the correct choice of Pokémon gets picked.

If they go the Hyrule Warriors route, then I would say Impa was the only reasonable choice. She's appeared in way more games than any of the 4 champions and neatly sidesteps the problem of one Champion being picked over the other three. (Kinda like how Byleth was the only realistic choice from Three Houses, choosing one house leader would've annoyed the other 2's fanbase)

Of course, Sakurai is an utter madman, so it could be a completely left-field third party pick for all I know. While I think Monster Hunter is a lot more likely now, I think that will happen closer to MonHun Rise. Namco are really overdue a second character at this point.

So either a Pokémon (Hoping for Toxtricity), Impa, or a third party character.

God, I love me some Smash hype!

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1

Come on anime sword-wielding RPG/Fire Emblem character. :grin:

Edited by Ronnie

5 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Come on anime sword-wielding RPG/Fire Emblem character. :grin:

You joke, but I know someone who'd explode with excitement and happiness if Lloyd Irving got in.

And I think he has a decent chance for second Namco character.

Also, that's an undeserved crack, only Hero fit that sword wielder style. Byleth managed to get away with it by having loads of weapons.

Edited by Glen-i

C'mon, Lloyd Irving!

Or Crash Bandicoot.

Or Rayman.

Or an out-of-the-blue pick like a regular Voltorb. I dunno, I'd dig a surprise.

I know every character will have fans somewhere, personally I'm hoping it's a bit wackier like Captain Toad, Crash, Rabbid Peach, the knight from Hollow Knight, Shovel Knight, Minecraft Steve, Juan from Guacamelee, something a bit different.

Edited by Ronnie
  • Like 2