NEurope
Julius

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

By the time this fighters pass has finished, the next Fire Emblem game will probably have already released...

... we ain’t done with anime Sword users ;) 

• Haha 1

Or other sword users. :p

Geez, zo many tears! "We got another character! BOO."

Haha. I mean, if this really was the last one, I could understand (and then I'd still personally be happy about it), but damn. There are a confirmed 6 extra characters in the making. I have still hopes for Doomguy. You should have hope too. Unless you want master Chief or Stevie (or Goku or Shrek). They have no place in this game and are not going to be in it.

Edit: Oh and again, love the Mii costume extras. Cuphead is great. Altaïr also a nice surprise.

Edited by Sméagol
  • Like 1

To be honest, I think Byleth looks like a cool new character. Sure, he's from Fire Emblem again, but he's really varied from the other characters of that universe. Looks fun. I'll try to join in on the Thursday night Smash chaos when he drops. It will be fun :D 

I'm looking forward to seeing what else is coming to Smash in the season 2, but I'm not sure if I'm buying the DLC pack this time. I've not touched Smash in ages, and more fighters are probably not gonna change that. It's always fun watching the indepth videos with Sakurai though, and the reveales for Smash is always something else! Two more years of fun, I say! :D

23 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

Or other sword users. :p

Geez, zo many tears! "We got another character! BOO."

Haha. I mean, if this really was the last one, I could understand (and then I'd still personally be happy about it), but damn. There are a confirmed 6 extra characters in the making. I have still hopes for Doomguy. You should have hope too. Unless you want master Chief or Stevie (or Goku or Shrek). They have no place in this game and are not going to be in it.

Edit: Oh and again, love the Mii costume extras. Cuphead is great. Altaïr also a nice surprise.

I agree, given he was inevitably coming, he looks to be quite interesting to play as. It's a total Corrin situation, people griped about him, but he was quite unique among the other FE characters. Smart people see that.

Stage looks great too, I hope the ceiling gets destroyed every time you go inside. I like the image of them fixing the roof only to have it get broken by the Smash platform in 2 and a half minutes.

So what is the total number of Fire Emblem characters in Ultimate now? I’ve lost count. :heh: 

4 minutes ago, RedShell said:

So what is the total number of Fire Emblem characters in Ultimate now? I’ve lost count. :heh: 

You can officially have an 8-player Fire Emblem fight now with everyone as a different character. 6 unique, 2 echoes.

For comparison, only Mario and Pokémon have more, with 9 each.

Edited by Glen-i

On  a sidenote I wouldn't mind a Fire Emblem spin-off at all. A fighting game with just Fire Emblem characters. Would perhaps work even better as a tradional fighting game. Add a cool single player campaign that explains why the characters from multiple games are interacting with each other (again). Add in a few cool guest characters like Link and Geralt, and you've removed the need for a Soul Calibur port.

Edit:

Edited by Sméagol

BTW, It seems Astral Chain fans have had their hopes dashed.

There are 4 spirits from the game available from tomorrow.

astral-chain-smash-bros-event.original.jpg

At least Resident Evil has someone to play with now.

• Like 1

On 14/01/2020 at 3:06 PM, Ronnie said:

Really hope we finally get a sword-wielding Fire Emblem character 

FFS, I was joking. :blank:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Weird 1

As for new characters, what are the remaining most requested and not totally unreasonable characters?

Again, my personal; number 1 left is Doom Guy. He has Nintendo history going back to the SNES, with a 12 FPS port of Doom which I've played, and a Doom game on N64 which had been an exclusive up until this year. A surpise port of the latest game on Switch, and the new one coming out later as well. Doom guy is a gaming icon, important in general gaming history, plenty of history on Nintendo systems, and a new game to promote.. He just makes sense.

I also wouldn't mind a Leon Kennedy. I think he's more appropriate than Chris Redfield from a Nintendo history viewpoint, though they can easily include Chris as a alternate costume or even a echo fighter.

Ryu from Ninja Gaiden, hmm. He's not someone I'm personally rooting for, although I definitely wouldn't mind him either. From a Nintendo history point of view he also makes sense.

Dante is also not someone I'd personally want. Guess I won't complain about him either, but I think Bayonetta already fulfills his role pretty much, and I'd prefer characters who would make more sense.

Geno.. I just don't know the guy. He's too niche, I've never played Super Mario RPG. At least he makes some sense, so I guess I wouldn't complain about him either, but I'm not rooting for him simply because of unfamiliarity.

(GAMING) Characters I do NOT want to see are:

Master Chief. Had an impact on gaming history for sure. But none whatsoever on Nintendo consoles. This hasn't stopped other characters before, but I don't want too many of these characters.

Sora. I just have something against the Kingdom Hearts franchise. He also has barely (I think?) any Nintendo history.

Stevie. I just have something against Minecraft. There's some justification for him being there.. But with his simplistic visuals I don't think he fits. He's also not interesting as a character. There's no background info on him as far as I'm aware, just "fan-lore".

When I round to getting Smash, I think I'll just get Banjo-Kazooie instead of the fighter's pack. I don't know anything about any of the other characters (except Piranha Plant, who isn't include in the pack).

I want Glover, Gex, Crash, Croc and Spyro in the next pack.

content-4-36111-supersmashbrosultimatebylethpresentationroundupbanner.jpg

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Byleth presentation Roundup

All up on the main site, N-Europe's Roundup of the presentation. :D

Full press release and a link to the video. :)

I enjoyed it, at first I'll admit I was a bit like 'Ah, so it's Fire Emblem' but Byleth is an excellent addition to the roster. :peace:

I'm looking forward to trying out their different weapon attacks, looks fun to play as.

Besides, from the way Sakurai set up the character reveal, I thought we were going to get something else entirely for a moment.

This is a pretty good result overall and don't forget there are at least six more characters to be released in the future. :smile:

Here's to playing Smash through 2020 and beyond.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sméagol said:

As for new characters, what are the remaining most requested and not totally unreasonable characters?

Again, my personal; number 1 left is Doom Guy. He has Nintendo history going back to the SNES, with a 12 FPS port of Doom which I've played, and a Doom game on N64 which had been an exclusive up until this year. A surpise port of the latest game on Switch, and the new one coming out later as well. Doom guy is a gaming icon, important in general gaming history, plenty of history on Nintendo systems, and a new game to promote.. He just makes sense.

I also wouldn't mind a Leon Kennedy. I think he's more appropriate than Chris Redfield from a Nintendo history viewpoint, though they can easily include Chris as a alternate costume or even a echo fighter.

Ryu from Ninja Gaiden, hmm. He's not someone I'm personally rooting for, although I definitely wouldn't mind him either. From a Nintendo history point of view he also makes sense.

Dante is also not someone I'd personally want. Guess I won't complain about him either, but I think Bayonetta already fulfills his role pretty much, and I'd prefer characters who would make more sense.

Geno.. I just don't know the guy. He's too niche, I've never played Super Mario RPG. At least he makes some sense, so I guess I wouldn't complain about him either, but I'm not rooting for him simply because of unfamiliarity.

(GAMING) Characters I do NOT want to see are:

Master Chief. Had an impact on gaming history for sure. But none whatsoever on Nintendo consoles. This hasn't stopped other characters before, but I don't want too many of these characters.

Sora. I just have something against the Kingdom Hearts franchise. He also has barely (I think?) any Nintendo history.

Stevie. I just have something against Minecraft. There's some justification for him being there.. But with his simplistic visuals I don't think he fits. He's also not interesting as a character. There's no background info on him as far as I'm aware, just "fan-lore".

Doom Guy is such a nobody as far as Japan goes. It's a real point against him. I also can't help but feel the violence won't translate that well into Smash, and what's DOOM without ripping and tearing?

Leon was one of the spirits in the recent Resident Evil spirit event. I think he's as good as deconfirmed for this game.

There's no denying that Ninja Gaiden is one of the more famous NES games. Or infamous because of it's difficulty. So I could see that as a maybe. We'll have to see if Sakurai can see a moveset worth making with Ryu. Although we'll have another Roy and Roy situation if that happened.

@Dcubed was expecting Dante here, but I guess he was wrong for now. But with Devil May Cry getting a recent surge of popularity and the games coming to Switch, it's not too mad for it to happen in the future. Although, if a different Capcom character gets in the second pass, his hopes are dead.

It's honestly weird when it comes to Geno, there are so many other well-known characters from the Mario series. Hell even Wart has the recent Link's Awakening remake for relevancy. Geno has one SNES game and a cameo apperance in a GBA one. And yet, he has a very vocal fanbase. It is suspicious that the Mii Costume from Smash 4 is still missing from Smash Ultimate, though.

Master Chief has absolutely no prescence on Nintendo Consoles. Everyone in Smash has had some before they got in so far, even Joker. Unless we get a sudden Halo game on Switch, I don't see it happening.

Steve on the other hand all depends on whether the Microsoft partnership is continuing in Smash, because that's the obvious 2nd Microsoft character. Even if I think Minecraft is one of those series that'd be better represented by a stage than a character.

Sora is a weird one as well, he's a video game character that has had plenty of Nintendo games (Chain of Memories, 358/2 days and Dream Drop Distance were all released on Ninty console games first. In fact, Chain of Memories is Cloud's Nintendo console debut). But he's from a series where most of the characters are not video game related. It's bizarre, I don't think Disney is gonna let Smash have Donald and Goofy, even if it was just a Final Smash cameo. And that's even if Sakurai would want Disney characters that aren't Sora blurring the line between video games and everything else. Awkward character for sure, so I'm not expecting much there. He'd be worth it for the gorgeous music Kingdom Hearts has and just for the novelty of seeing a Disney copyright on the title screen.

Anyway, those are my thoughts.

As for what I'm hoping for. I want Toxtricity, best Pokemon in Sword/Shield and I want to fight as a punk rock poison lizard.
I also hope that Phoenix Wright is the Capcom rep, he was great in Marvel Vs Capcom and his cartoony look works well in Smash, also finger point attacks and document throwing is always funny.
And I'm still gonna continue dreaming for Dillon. I know he's an assist trophy from a niche 3DS series, but I'll forever dream.
There's also plenty of material for Paper Mario to really stand out from the other Mario characters. Partner attacks, hammers, paper folding shenanigans, don't even need a new stage for him.
Lloyd Irving would be the Namco rep I'd want, Namco deserve a second character after all the work they put helping to make this game, and @Ugh first aid really wants him. He's the Tales of character who is most well known and if this second pass is gonna have another swordsman, it might as well be the guy with two of them. Should fill out that quota. His Smash 4 Mii costume is also suspiciously absent.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Doom Guy is such a nobody as far as Japan goes. It's a real point against him. I also can't help but feel the violence won't translate that well into Smash, and what's DOOM without ripping and tearing?

[..]

I dunno man. Maybe in Japan, but world-wide, he's bigger than any remaining potential characters combined probably, in terms of impact on gaming history. Resident Evil may come closests.

The violence is a non-issue, they got around that with Snake, and Bayonetta is more violent than Doom guy I'd argue.

Yeah I was just mentioning the names I see mentioned the most lately. I forgot about Lloyd. I love Lloyd.. But he'd also come with the nagging realisation Namco is really shit when it comes to Tales games on Nintendo consoles. Overall I think I'd still want him (another sword user, yay! :P), but that very fact just leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

Oh yeah, and I'd prefer Wart over Geno.

I think I'd have to think about it more, but I'd think I'd be happy with the following 6:

• Doom guy
  • Lloyd (despite <sigh>) 
  • Travis
  • Leon (I don't care about the spirits :P)
  • Rex
  • I ehh, I dunno. I guess I can leave one wildcard, as long as it's not Master Chief / Sora / Steve / Waluigi.

So yeah that's 3 new sword users haha. I'm actually pretty confident about Rex getting a spot in the 2nd fighters pass.

• Like 1

Ok, first of all, Sakurai is a madman who insists on bamboozling us, and therefore, I can't dislike even his worst decisions. Because throwing Byleth at us at this stage is a terrible marketing decision. Geez Louise, what an anti-climax. "What is Fire Emblem?" indeed.

Anyhoo, Byleth himself looks fun. He's both a strong heavy and has keepaway attacks with range, a combination I tend to like, so I'm bound to enjoy using him. I'm not sure why Sakurai thinks he's unique compared to the other 4, though, he looks pretty conventional to me.

Garreg Mach Monastery looks like the best FE stage yet. Not a generic site, nor a generic coliseum, nor an Arena Ferox that barely resembles the original: it's a legit location with legit cameos. Thank God, for all the characters that FE has in smash, these bells and whistles have always been shockingly poor.

I was already aware of binary finger counting, but it's pretty cool that Sakurai knows it, and interrupts the lecture to teach it. Cool dude.

7 hours ago, Dcubed said:

By the time this fighters pass has finished, the next Fire Emblem game will probably have already released...

... we ain’t done with anime Sword users ;) 

Of course we aren't, Lloyd isn't in yet.

5 hours ago, Ronnie said:

FFS, I was joking. :blank:

Let this be a lesson!

220px-Jynx_AG013.png

6 hours ago, Sméagol said:

Right now, Ryu Hayabusa, Doomslayer, Sora, and (as per usual) Geno seem to be the most requested.

I don't quite know what to expect out of Season 2, but if I were to hazard a guess (coupled with personal wishes):

• Ryu Hayabusa (highly requested, historied series. I give him a very high chance)
  • Lloyd Irving (same deal, with a healthy dose of a personal PLEASE!)
  • Heihachi Mishima (you know he's on that Namco shortlist)
  • Doomslayer (Relevant history for sure, and he has gained a sudden surge of requests during last year, which is surely when Sakurai was negotiating Season 2)
  • Rayman (maybe the deal didn't quite make it for the base game, but there's hope now)
  • Phoenix Wright (I keep thinking Sakurai will want to include at least one character with a super inventive mechanic, and my bias leans Wright)

Shout-outs to Dante, Amaterasu, Viewtiful Joe, and the Prince of All Cosmos (all of which could replace Phoenix on the list above), Resident Evil in general (if they didn't have spirits already, they'd be a shoe-in for my list), and Adol Christin (Ys protagonist, and posterboy for Falcom. An oddball, low-chance choice to be sure, but honestly, I just want to say I considered him before anybody else did :heh: )

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

If they can make Phoenix Wright work, I'd like to see him over a lot of other characters, but I just can't see it happening from a gameplay perspective. Viewtiful Joe on the other hand, would be perfect, and, also from a gameplay perspective, would make a better character than say someone from RE since he inherently has more moves to work with. But he's lacking the popularity. I would love to see both as assist trophies though, I think they may be more suited for that for overall reasons.

Ryu at least has both the relevance and various moves to work with. Various power-ups can be his special moves, and his recovery move should be an eagle that appears out of nowhere that damage boosts him upwards.

Wouldn't mind seeing Rayman as well, for some western representation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sméagol said:

If they can make Phoenix Wright work, I'd like to see him over a lot of other characters, but I just can't see it happening from a gameplay perspective.

Not sure if you're aware, but Capcom came up with a (very unique) moveset for him in a more conventional fighting game. It stands to reason that Sakurai could come up with something that works for Smash Bros, as well.

• Like 1

Haha. That looks stupid. Stupidly fun!

I think I may have heard about it, but then forgot.

2 hours ago, Sméagol said:

Haha. That looks stupid. Stupidly fun!

I think I may have heard about it, but then forgot.

Yeah, Phoenix in Marvel Vs Capcom was inspired. Desperately searching for evidence to activate Turnabout Mode and get that power boost. His animations were great too. It shouldn't work as well as it does, but he became one of my three go-to characters in that game.

Sakurai is mad enough to make something pretty unique with Phoenix.

I’d prefer if more cartoonish or weird characters get added over more realistic ones. So basically characters like Ring Fit adventurer, Crash Bandicoot, Klonoa, Spyro, Rayman, a Tetromino, Chorus Kids, Marching Mini Mario’s, Pauline, Wart, Layton, Phoenix Wright, etc

• Like 3

Astral Chain Spirit event is up now.

The Lappy fight got a chuckle out of me.

Guess the next one will be the Fire Emblem: Three Houses bunch in less than two weeks.

• Thanks 2

Only Smash Bros could make Fire Emblem X Cuphead fan art much more viable.

byleth_in__fanbase_fury__by_mast3r_rainb

• Haha 4
  • Weird 1