NEurope
Julius

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

22 hours ago, Jonnas said:

Just a heads-up. Tetris spirits are coming to Ultimate!

Just saying, since @Glen-i has missed new spirit events before

There you go preventing me from stealthily taking the lead again!

100% completed all spirits leveled up to max level again!!!1!!1!! @Glen-i

content-4-36035-terrybogardsmashpresentationbanner.jpg

And it's now up on the front page. :D

Thanks to @Helmsly for sharing the information on this with us so quickly, I creditted you in the article. :smile:

This should be a great presentation to watch and we'll be sure to report on it right after the presentation airs. :peace:

• Thanks 1

I wonder if those rumored/leaked Mii suits that showed up yesterday will make an appearance here? Timing seems too coincidental for them to be fake.

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I wonder if those rumored/leaked Mii suits that showed up yesterday will make an appearance here? Timing seems too coincidental for them to be fake.

I think I know the two you're on about. It's worth noting that it could be a fanmade mod. Mii costumes would be a lot easier to mock up compared to actual playable characters.

2 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

I think I know the two you're on about. It's worth noting that it could be a fanmade mod. Mii costumes would be a lot easier to mock up compared to actual playable characters.

I hoping they aren't real. I don't think one of the outfits/franchises has any place in a Smash game.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I hoping they aren't real. I don't think one of the outfits/franchises has any place in a Smash game.

Well, we definitely agree on that front.

Some Smash goodies are available to download for those who have a Nintendo online subscription.

While it's taken a while to get going, it has improved in recent times with the launch of the Super Nintendo digital library. One other incentive to grab a Switch Online sub is so you can download free Super Smash Bros. Ultimate packs, containing some helpful in-game items.

The latest offer is a Vault Shopper Set – which comes with 5,000 Gold and three Classic Tickets. You can get extra music, Mii Costumes with this pack. Once again, you'll need an online sub to be able to download this for free from the Switch eShop.

What are those leaks? Haven't seen them...

Anyways, there will be no news regarding the final Fighter's Pass DLC-character in the live-stream. So I wonder when that will come - perhaps in the inevitable January Direct?

3 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

What are those leaks? Haven't seen them...

Spoiler

Mii outfits for Mallow from Super Mario RPG and Cacodemon from Doom.

uwcipHP.png

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Spoiler

I actually disagree.  DOOM has a storied history on Nintendo hardware; much moreso than any other console platform holder.

You have SNES DOOM, GBA DOOM 1&2, DOOM 64 and DOOM 2016 & DOOM Eternal on Switch (As well as ports of the entire rest of the series on Switch).  All of them were big deals at the time of their respective releases.

DOOM has a long history of pushing the boundaries of what's possible on Nintendo hardware.  It is also the sole possible representation of what western 3rd party developers have brought to Nintendo's history (Well, Shantae and Shovel Knight had their chance at least... but sadly that pirate yacht has sailed).

If it weren't for the age rating issue, I'd actually say that Doom Guy/Doom Slayer has a decent shot at getting into Smash as a playable character; certainly the one and only western 3rd party character with a legitimate chance outside of Rare's cast.  If they can't truly represent the character within Smash Bros' age rating? A Mii Costume actually makes a lot of sense then in that case...

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Dcubed said:
  Teh Spoilerz discussion (Hide contents)

I actually disagree.  DOOM has a storied history on Nintendo hardware; much moreso than any other console platform holder.

You have SNES DOOM, GBA DOOM 1&2, DOOM 64 and DOOM 2016 & DOOM Eternal on Switch (As well as ports of the entire rest of the series on Switch).  All of them were big deals at the time of their respective releases.

DOOM has a long history of pushing the boundaries of what's possible on Nintendo hardware.  It is also the sole possible representation of what western 3rd party developers have brought to Nintendo's history (Well, Shantae and Shovel Knight had their chance at least... but sadly that pirate yacht has sailed).

If it weren't for the age rating issue, I'd actually say that Doom Guy/Doom Slayer has a decent shot at getting into Smash as a playable character; certainly the one and only western 3rd party character with a legitimate chance outside of Rare's cast.  If they can't truly represent the character within Smash Bros' age rating? A Mii Costume actually makes a lot of sense then in that case...

Spoiler

Yeah, it has history with Nintendo platforms but I don't think the tone of that franchise fits with Smash Bros. The argument could be made that neither did Metal Gear Solid but that series always had a Japanese quirkiness to it.

I think Doom is too Western for Smash, if that makes sense?

14 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:
  Spoilers (Reveal hidden contents)

Yeah, it has history with Nintendo platforms but I don't think the tone of that franchise fits with Smash Bros. The argument could be made that neither did Metal Gear Solid but that series always had a Japanese quirkiness to it.

I think Doom is too Western for Smash, if that makes sense?

Spoiler

I get where you're coming from, but Smash Bros is ultimately a celebration of Nintendo's history; not a celebration of Japanese games.

The only reason why it feels strange is because there has never been a western 3rd party character in Smash before (Well, apart from the trophies/spirits of course - and not couting Banjo/Kazooie; as we all know that Rare's relationship with Nintendo and their fans is wholly unique).  Would Rayman feel out of place in Smash? That's as French as French gets! How about Joanna Dark? I don't think she'd feel out of place at all.

Why is DOOM Guy/DOOM Slayer any different? The only real issue here is the age rating and the tone that comes with it really.  That's the issue that I think would be the main blocking factor here.  While they did an amazing job of skirting around the age rating issue with Bayonetta (I'm still stunned that they managed to get away with a PEGI/ESRB rating of 12/Teen for that!) I don't think you can really do the same with DOOM Guy/DOOM Slayer... The extreme violence angle is kind of his main shtick...

... so having a Cacodemon costume is a nice way of honouring the series' contribution to Nintendo's history without having to run afoul of the age rating problem.  That's why I think the leak may well be real.  I don't think that they'd add DOOM Guy/DOOM Slayer as a playable character, but costumes? Sure, why not? The series deserves a place in Nintendo's history and a Mii costume is a nice way of acknowleding that, without having to inevitably disappoint fans by having a playable character that is tonally inappropriate for both the game itself and the series its supposed to represent.

Edited by Dcubed

Rayman would be fine because his games fit the tone of Smash Bros/Nintendo, whereas I don't think what we are discussing does.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

Ok, well done Sakurai.  Terry and his stage looks much more interesting than I was expecting!

Also... 50 MUSIC TRACKS!!!!!!

Edited by Dcubed

So it seems that Mai Shiranui is officially to hot for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate... I can accept that kind of logic. ;)

Well played Sakurai, that was a fantastic presentation. :D

I'll be scrambling to get the roundup up on the main page now for a bit but I'm looking forward to playing as Terry Bogard in Smash either later on or tomorrow. :peace:

• Like 1

Awesome stuff.

Terry looks cool. Love the wall effect in the arena. All the guest characters.

50 new songs???

Awesome trailer.

But no Mai? What the fuck man? Boycot this shit.

:heh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Available (later) today.

Full presentation:

Edited by MindFreak

OK, 50 songs at once is officially more insane than the Castlevania and Mega Man selection!

Nice to see Samurai Showdown and Metal Slug sneak a few in there as well.

It's gonna take me forever to sort the "My Music" section out for that stage...

It's a cool mechanic in Garou, and I think it'd be cool in Smash. The tricky part is determining what "low health" means, since it'd be broken if it was just, say, "above 100%".

Jonnas there, accidently predicting exactly when that T.O.P mechanic kicks in.

He also predicted three of his specials as well. What a nerd!

Anyway, I had to watch that presentation with the sound on mute, but I did notice that Terry uses both "old and new" voices, so I have one very important question...

Does Terry say "Are you OK?" during that Buster Wolf Final Smash animation?

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Anyway, I had to watch that presentation with the sound on mute, but I did notice that Terry uses both "old and new" voices, so I have one very important question...

Does Terry say "Are you OK?" during that Buster Wolf Final Smash animation?

Are you ready for this Glen?

During the presentation I did indeed hear Terry say "Are-you-OK!" :D

Glen-i Are you OK? Are you OK? Are you OK Glen i?

You've been hit by, you've been struck by, a... Buster Wolf!

I can't wait to play this either later or tomorrow online. :peace:

• Thanks 1