NEurope
Julius

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Spoiler

God damn it! It would start on a new page, so I'm just gonna type a bunch of stuff here to try and mitigate any accidental spoilers while the page loads on mobile sites and all that.

Banjo Banjo Banjo Banjo Banjo Banjo Banjo Banjo Banjo and Kazooie.

Anyway, I'm not so sure it's that much of an uninspired choice. SNK represent 41 years of video game experience. They're a proper historic aspect of gaming. And Smash is basically a celebration of video game history at this point. Hell, they were the creators of the Neo Geo at one point. It's another new console rep possibly.

While I'm pledging my bets on Terry, it's worth noting that Metal Slug and Samurai Showdown are other well known series that have a good shout.

A Metal Slug character has the potential to be really crazy.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mandalore said:
  Reaction: (Hide contents)

How uninspiring.

Spoiler

That being said, I would prefer Marco from Metal Slug myself; have the other characters as alt costumes (they were always just skins anyway).

Just think of the moveset! (ROCKET LAWNCHAIR!!!)

Edited by Dcubed
  • Haha 3

Spoiler

Man, now I'm hoping that the SNK rep comes with a whole bunch of charming Engrish voice clips. It'd be hilarious!

• Like 1

Spoiler

It’s gotta be Mai Shiranui! :bouncy: :bouncy:

Edited by RedShell
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Spoiler

Hopefully the above is true! I know that SNK has been around for decades but they just aren't that interesting and I don't really see any potential going forward. The other DLC-characters have either had a history with Nintendo or an upcoming game on Switch.

6 hours ago, MindFreak said:
  DLC discussion (Hide contents)

Hopefully the above is true! I know that SNK has been around for decades but they just aren't that interesting and I don't really see any potential going forward. The other DLC-characters have either had a history with Nintendo or an upcoming game on Switch.

Spoiler

The irony there is that Metal Slug is probably the closest you'll get to how an Advance Wars rep might work without actually having an Advance Wars rep.

No matter who it turns out to be, I'm sure the Smash team can make them interesting and fun to play as.

Quite frankly, I'd be fine with Terry as long as he can shout "ARE YOU OKAY?"

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Spoiler

I am so very, very pleased with this news. I had predicted a long while back that SNK would put a rep in Smash Bros (seriously they're putting guest characters in every game. Geese in Tekken, Mai & Kula in DOA, Terry Bogard in EX Layer, Iori in Arcana Hearts, and more recently, Haohmaru in Soul Calibur), and I'm glad to be finally vindicated.

And of course, I'll be even more hyped when they reveal him/her. If you think another fighting game character is boring, I invite you to take a look at "Totally-gonna-be-another-Anime-swordsman" Hero. I'd be surprised if there isn't a twist to the rep, as SNK has very strong character design. Terry Bogard isn't just a street brawler, he's Captain Falcon's brother from another mother. Haohmaru's the most stylish samurai in gaming. Nakoruru has a fucking falcon.

More importantly, SNK's contributions to gaming cannot be understated. They made a lot of arcade stuff back in the day, they were the principal competitors for Street Fighter II's crown, and let's not forget: King of Fighters was the first ever crossover fighting game, they paved the way for Smash Bros. And that series is still hugely popular in China, Japan, and Latin America.

But let's take a look at the candidates, from most likely to least likely (imo):

-Terry Bogard is basically the company's most well known character, even if Fatal Fury/Garou isn't their most popular series (crossing my fingers for a comeback, though). I really like him, and can imagine him becoming an instant hit with the crowd. Plus, I'd finally get a measly point in my N-E betting special. His one fatal flaw (har) is that SNK has, so far, not repeated any guest characters, and Terry's already in Fighting EX Layer. This could be me seeing patterns where they don't exist, though.

-Kyo Kusanagi is the baby-faced protagonist of King of Fighters, the author of the "Intensetaneous Smash", a rushdown character with fiery punches, and another very strong candidate. Admittedly, a more cookie-cutter choice than Terry, but he's popular for good reason. Plus, since KOF is all about 3-vs-3 matches, there's a good possibility he could be accompanied by his teammates Benimaru and Daimon.

-Mai Shiranui, much like Terry, is more popular than her own series. You can't discount her clout and popularity.

-Haohmaru's already in one crossover, why not another? Smash Bros has no samurais yet. He could be a slow, heavy swordsman.

-Nakoruru is more popular than even Haohmaru, and unlike him, she's actually been in KOF! Plus, she's got a badass falcon on her side, you can't dislike that.

-Marco from Metal Slug is unlikely, but not impossible. His stage could come with Mars People in the background. Advance Wars fans would be happy with him, I think.

-Athena is another very popular SNK character, and one that's been oddly absent from other crossovers. This could come out of left field.

-K', Ash Crimson and Shu'nei have been temporary protagonists in KOF. They're all unlikely, but not enough to be discounted. K' is basically Wesker with fire powers, Ash Crimson is the Gary Oak of fighting games, and Shu'nei is an edgelord with disembodied hands. Please, anybody but Shu'nei.

-I don't think Iori is it, being the rival to Kyo and all, but he's super duper popular, so I can't exactly discard him, either.

-King is impossible, but I really want her in, okay!?

So yeah, I eagerly await the announcement. Rooting for Terry, but I'm sure I'll be glad to see any of these folk (except Shu'nei).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Am I really gonna buy a Mii costume for an Undertale remix in Smash?

Yes, yes I am. And you all should as well. Megalovania is a fantastic piece of music.

Helps that it's one of the better looking costumes. You can barely tell it's a Mii.

Anyway, the DLC ride never ends! Banjo's gonna force a new horizontal line, so they need to fill that up anyway.

Although it does totally screw up the scoring system in the prediction thread now that I don't know how many characters there'll be...

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looks like I’m also buying my first Mii costume... GOEMON!!!! :yay: :bouncy: Shame they don’t include a music track with him too.

• Like 2

To the people that played Final Fight, in what way we're the combo systems different to street fighter, that we could possibly see reflected with Terry in Smash?

3 hours ago, LazyBoy said:

To the people that played Final Fight, in what way we're the combo systems different to street fighter, that we could possibly see reflected with Terry in Smash?

Well, Final Fight is a sidescrolling Capcom beat'em up, for starters :heh:

I'm on my phone right now, but I'll make sure to make a lengthy post about Terry, Fatal Fury, and KOF when I get home. The basic gist of it is that I expect Terry's transition to be smoother than Ryu's, and I expect him to be easier to play as, as well.

I'll explain my reasoning when I can.

Banjo & Kazooie is a bloody fantastic character, though I hope everyone doesn't feel that way as he's going to be very, very popular...

They missed a trick not making Bayonetta the character you fight against for the Gruntilda spirit fight.

9 hours ago, LazyBoy said:

Ok, so to expand on my previous post: Terry Bogard isn't just a "Fatal Fury" character, he's also a "King of Fighters" character. KOF is like the smash bros of SNK, and while Fatal Fury eventually died off, its characters continued to live on in KOF (technically an alternate continuity). Terry is hailed as coming from Fatal Fury, but his stage is the KOF ring, so expect him to indeed represent both series.

I have more experience with KOF, but I do know of what Fatal Fury offers. They were one of the first fighting games to include ring-outs, and it also had this unique "layer" mechanic, where characters could briefly dodge to the background or foreground, and in some games even stay there for as long as they want. In a way, this could be seen as a precursor to SSB's spotdodging. If Terry were to reference this mechanic, I imagine it would only be as a weird Down-B (like Ryu's focus attack), but I wouldn't expect him to have that.

King of Fighters has different mechanics to Fatal Fury, starting with the fact that rolling to the left and right is a thing (once again, a precursor to a SSB mechanic). Fighters can also run/dash, and the jump mechanics have much more depth than in Street Fighter. Characters can jump, short-hop, long jump, and even longjump-short-hop (an enemy CPU once used this technique to punish me from across the screen. A hard lesson was learned that day). Finally, characters can choose to spend some of their super meter to parry+dodge, or parry+counter (think of the Alpha Counter mechanic in SF Alpha), which contributes to the fast-paced, rushdown-heavy environment that KOF tends to have.

Since Terry can already run, roll, and spotdodge, maybe these mechanics will come out somehow faster and smoother in Smash Bros. For example, maybe his rolls don't get stale? Maybe he automatically counters whenever he parries? Genuine possibilities. The jump mechanics from KOF should also be taken into account, it's entirely possible he could be able to long-short-hop, or have a tighter control of his falling speed, meaning he could potentially control his jumps better than any other character in the roster. If nothing else, I expect Terry to play fast and aggressive, if only because that's how KOF works (Terry in that series is actually very well balanced in offence and defence, but Smash Bros is a different engine, and I expect him to represent that style more). Regardless, I expect these movement options to translate very well to Smash bros.

On that note, combos in KOF are super fast and precise, and usually more expected in higher levels of play. They rarely follow SF's simple strings of Light Jab -> Light Jab -> Heavy Jab. Rather, they come from creative use of different special moves. In fact, a common thing in KOF is to spend some meter for a "Super Mode" where the only buff you get is the ability to cancel moves into other moves. You can do this outside of the Super Mode, but it spends an horrendous amount of meter. Combos in that series depend heavily on this... "attack cancel" culture. If this aspect does make it to Smash bros, I expect it to make Terry's atacks feel even faster, even if you're just button-mashing.

(Also, KOF is a 3-vs-3 fighting game series. Assist attacks aren't a thing, so I don't expect this mechanic to be referenced. Still, I should mention that his teammates are his brother Andy and his buddy Joe. Maybe they'll appear in a taunt, or on the KOF stage, or something)

Regarding the Light/Mid/Heavy mechanic, I'm not sure whether that'll be different or not. It may be specific to Street Fighter 1, while KOF characters always had 4 buttons to work with, but we've seen him do two versions of the Power Wave (pronounced POAWH WAIV) in the gameplay snippet. So who knows?

Another potential difference, is that Terry's command list isn't consistent. For example, the Rising Tackle (pronounced RAIZING TAKU) has been a Dragon Punch motion and a charge motion, depending on the game. Indeed, some KOF games allow you to pick alternate movelists for characters, meaning Terry has had two differing motions for the same move, even in the same game! It's possible he's more consistent in Fatal Fury, but still, I don't quite expect him to have input commands.

One final thing: Fatal Fury was eventually soft-rebooted into Garou:Mark of the Wolves, a well-received game (often compared to Street Fighter III) that's very technical. Unfortunately, I don't know much about its unique mechanics, but I plan on playing it before Terry's released (he's the only returning character, you see). If I find any noteworthy mechanics, I'll let you know.

In a nutshell, I expect SNK's mechanics to translate well as novel movement options to Smash Bros, and KOF's in particular to help Terry play very aggressive. Fatal Fury's mechanics, should they make it, would probably help him further mix up his movement.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

What a post, thank you for the explanation. I'm thinking though that maybe they'll lean more on the beat-em-up history, just because it then differentiates from Ken & Ryu. Watching some footage of FInal Fight it looks like a lot of side scrolling beat em up's in that success depends a lot on your movement, spacing and zoning (with throws being a big part of this). So maybe he'll be more of a zoning character? I

45 minutes ago, LazyBoy said:

What a post, thank you for the explanation. I'm thinking though that maybe they'll lean more on the beat-em-up history, just because it then differentiates from Ken & Ryu. Watching some footage of FInal Fight it looks like a lot of side scrolling beat em up's in that success depends a lot on your movement, spacing and zoning (with throws being a big part of this). So maybe he'll be more of a zoning character? I

I made a joke about it earlier, but I think I should be clearer: Final Fight is a Capcom sidescrolling beat'em up (amusingly enough, already represented in Smash Bros). Fatal Fury is the SNK fighting game where Terry comes from.

Aesthetically and plotwise, they're similar, but they're different franchises entirely.

21 hours ago, Jonnas said:

Well, Final Fight is a sidescrolling Capcom beat'em up, for starters :heh:

I'm on my phone right now, but I'll make sure to make a lengthy post about Terry, Fatal Fury, and KOF when I get home. The basic gist of it is that I expect Terry's transition to be smoother than Ryu's, and I expect him to be easier to play as, as well.

I'll explain my reasoning when I can.

Jonnas can you please stop correcting me whilst I'm drinking, you're killing my buzz.

• Haha 2
  • Weird 1

content-4-35972-smashbrosultimatepartnershipbanner.jpg

The Ultimate Partnership tournament goes live on Super Smash Bros. Ultimate from tonight.

I'm considering entering but I'm not sure if I'm Guh-huh'd enough playing as Banjo-Kazooie yet or not. :p

• Haha 1

What's your best score on Home-Run Contest?

Well, that score sucks.

BTW, mine's 409.873km with Olimar. @Ugh first aid and I managed to get 460.860km with double Joker.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

What's your best score on Home-Run Contest?

Well, that score sucks.

Daaaaaaamn! :o I wonder if it’s possible to get the bag to 999 damage...

Think my best so far is around 360km, funnily enough with Daisy. :D Working my way through will all the characters once before going back to try and improve the scores though.

It’s a great mode, I’m glad they brought it back for Ultimate. :)