Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Got another Highlight video made up.

Hope you like Kirby noises...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Weird 1

1 hour ago, markderoos said:

And of course they’re all level 99, aren’t they? ;)

What else am I going to use those snacks I got playing Classic Mode for?

• Haha 1

So, sorry if this interrupts the thread, but the guys at my local scene did something pretty darn amusing:

EBh_I25WsAALPqG.jpg:large

Now you know how cheap I can get!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Really enjoying the online tourney mode in this. Yet to win a tourney (probably never will :hehe:) but it's a lot of fun taking part. The only thing that's not so great is how you can't spectate live and have to wait for replays to become available, but even so it's been a fantastic addition to the game.

Anyone else getting into tourneys, or managed to win any? :grin:

1 hour ago, RedShell said:

Really enjoying the online tourney mode in this. Yet to win a tourney (probably never will :hehe:) but it's a lot of fun taking part. The only thing that's not so great is how you can't spectate live and have to wait for replays to become available, but even so it's been a fantastic addition to the game.

Yeah I've spent a lot of time in this mode, it's great! Managed to win 5 tourneys as Ness, but couldn't do it as anyone else. The Heroes vs. Villains tourney was MUCH harder than the standard one.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, RedShell said:

I managed to win a Heroes Vs Villains one as Shulk (Because no-one ever plays as Shulk, so no-one knows how to fight him) I tried to taunt after getting K.O's, forgetting that it's disabled in matches with randoms.

Why even play as Shulk if you can't tell people what time it is and how you're feeling about it?

It's a neat feature. Although the prizes mean nothing to me as I already have all the spirits.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Haha 2

Got 2 highlight videos for you this time.

Here's a usual N-E shenanigans one. Blink and you'll miss something!

And here's a special one focusing on everyone's favourite menu selector, Hero.

BTW, a tournament has already decided to ban him. Only been, what, three weeks? He hasn't even made any waves in the competitive scene yet!

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Gentlemen, I lay upon thee defeated. I have finally reached the end of World of Light, only to see a couple of Challenges/Achievements laying just beyond my reach. I need your help:

Spoiler

I've successfully defeated Galeem+Dharkon without dying, but the challenge did not unlock. Do I seriously need to stay alive throughout the boss rush and then go on to defeat them? All in a single stock!?

Spoiler

I'm roughly 240 orbs away from completing it. Since there's no way to reliably farm orbs, am I correct in thinking that a New Game+ will keep my tree as unlocked as right now? I don't want to erase my save file without being sure

That last gauntlet before the end is legit amazing, though. Really well made, with some very fun ideas thrown in there. Great stuff.

Edited by Jonnas

2 hours ago, Jonnas said:

Gentlemen, I lay upon thee defeated. I have finally reached the end of World of Light, only to see a couple of Challenges/Achievements laying just beyond my reach. I need your help:

"No Death" Challenge (Hide contents)

I've successfully defeated Galeem+Dharkon without dying, but the challenge did not unlock. Do I seriously need to stay alive throughout the boss rush and then go on to defeat them? All in a single stock!?

"Skill Tree" Challenge (Hide contents)

I'm roughly 240 orbs away from completing it. Since there's no way to reliably farm orbs, am I correct in thinking that a New Game+ will keep my tree as unlocked as right now? I don't want to erase my save file without being sure

That last gauntlet before the end is legit amazing, though. Really well made, with some very fun ideas thrown in there. Great stuff.

Yes, it's the whole thing without dying. Make sure the first character you pick has decent aerial movement so you can survive the platforming section. (And of course, make sure you're good at fighting with them) Incineroar, Little Mac, Ganondorf, etc. are not great choices.

If you've got it, try and use the Celebi support Spirit. Great Autoheal makes it a whole lot easier.

And if all else fails, you can lower the difficulty. I think the latest update added a Very Easy option, so it should be doable.

As for the second challenge, your skill tree carries over, so it's fine to start a New Game +. But make sure you do all the other WoL challenges before starting a New Game +. Or copy your file over to a different slot so you still have access to it. (I can't remember if you can actually copy files...)

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Yes, it's the whole thing without dying. Make sure the first character you pick has decent aerial movement so you can survive the platforming section. (And of course, make sure you're good at fighting with them) Incineroar, Little Mac, Ganondorf, etc. are not great choices.

If you've got it, try and use the Celebi support Spirit. Great Autoheal makes it a whole lot easier.

And if all else fails, you can lower the difficulty. I think the latest update added a Very Easy option, so it should be doable.

As for the second challenge, your skill tree carries over, so it's fine to start a New Game +. But make sure you do all the other WoL challenges before starting a New Game +. Or copy your file over to a different slot so you still have access to it. (I can't remember if you can actually copy files...)

...well, that's just inconvenient. I'm not too bothered about lowering the difficulty, since I already beat the final boss on Hard, but having to do the whole thing again is obnoxious. I'll try a couple of times on Hard, and then I'll lower the difficulty.

I've already beat the platforming section as Ganondorf, it's pretty easy. It's the later parts that give me trouble with the close-range low-mobility guys (and I'll need either Zelda or Hero for them).

I already have a Spirit Setup for the final boss that should also work for the gauntlet. Isaac (Dark Dawn) resists energy blasts, w/ Rathalos (+Air attacks) and Elyse (slight regen). I considered Celebi, but offence is also important. Definitely keeping it as a plan B, though.

I tried to copy a save file, and found no option for it. The final boss thing is definitely the only thing I'm missing.

I finally took a second crack at that challenge, and I just... did it. Didn't need to lower the difficulty or anything, I just used that Isaac setup and tore through that gauntlet (with only one retry due to a hand slip). It was weird, because I was way more tired than last time, but this time I felt like I was playing much better, and even got the last boss on my first try. An odd zen moment if there ever was one.

As it turns out, the game asks me if I want to start New Game+ on another file entirely :heh: I'll only play that one very sporadically, just enough to slowly gather the skill orbs I need to unlock the final Challenge.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jonnas said:

I finally took a second crack at that challenge, and I just... did it. Didn't need to lower the difficulty or anything, I just used that Isaac setup and tore through that gauntlet (with only one retry due to a hand slip). It was weird, because I was way more tired than last time, but this time I felt like I was playing much better, and even got the last boss on my first try. An odd zen moment if there ever was one.

Ah yes, I call that the "Diddy Run", when you think you're gonna have serious trouble, only to nail it with little difficulty.

Named after my first 9.9 attempt with Diddy, a character I struggle to play well with, only to finish each round in less than 30 seconds. Except for the boss, where I only got hit once. Still don't know how I did it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Ah yes, I call that the "Diddy Run", when you think you're gonna have serious trouble, only to nail it with little difficulty.

Named after my first 9.9 attempt with Diddy, a character I struggle to play well with, only to finish each round in less than 30 seconds. Except for the boss, where I only got hit once.

This doesn't surprise me, after all Diddy Kong is a top-tier character (along with R.O.B and any other character that can materialise items ;)).

4 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Still don't know how I did it.

The banana peels, obviously. :heh:

Anyway, having finally summoned the remaining few spirits that I needed and collected the LABO ones, I now have the complete collection of 1336! :yay: Was stuck at 1335 for a while which was annoying, before realising I was missing Dracula. Seems that particular Spirit can only be obtained via WoL, so once you enhance it to Soma Cruz the only way to get Dracula back in your collection is to re-obtain it from WoL.

Still working on getting them all to Lv.99, but have run out of snacks. :hmm: So Doc Louis is going to have to help out a bit with that. :D

Having spent time looking through the spirit list recently though, I'm really surprised that they're not also usable as profile icons for your Smash Tag. Seems so strange to have a limited selection of images for that purpose when the game already has thousands of varied icons that would be perfect for it. ::shrug:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

New event tourney starts on Friday based on the original N64 Smash Bros. :D 

*EDIT*

New DQ spirit on the way too:

Edited by RedShell
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Heads up to all the spirit collectors. There's a special spirit you can get if you have save data of the demo version of Dragon Quest XI S on your Switch.

Nintendo are really going all in for the advertising of that game!

content-4-35946-ssbugcinvitationalbanner.jpg

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Gamescom Invitational 2019

This took place this afternoon, I thought I'd put the video up on the main page in case anyone wanted to watch it or catch the highlights. :D

On 22/08/2019 at 7:59 PM, Glen-i said:

Heads up to all the spirit collectors. There's a special spirit you can get if you have save data of the demo version of Dragon Quest XI S on your Switch.

Nintendo are really going all in for the advertising of that game!

I didn't get a spirit?

Someone at Nintendo ballsed up and officially leaked the company that owns one of the future DLC characters we don't know about.

Spoiler

There's a trademark for SNK there. And I know someone who's possibly going to be over the moon about that.

We don't know any specifics about which series or character might get the Smash letter. But with my admittedly limited knowledge of SNK, I'd say a safer bet would be Terry Bogard from Fatal Fury.

Keep those reactions in spoilers, please.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 1