NEurope
Julius

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

And here’s part 1 of mine from the evening. I’ve mainly focused on Smash attacks, especially when there multiplies at a time with some good KO’s and funnies thrown in there too. 

• Haha 3

That Villager pocket blunder might just be one of the stupidest things I've ever done in Smash Ultimate. If I just left it in there, it would have vanished after 30 seconds.

It honestly rivals that moment from Smash 4.

I'm pretty decent at Smash, but my word, I can be a right idiot sometimes!

Wouldn't have it any other way.

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, Glen-i said:

That Villager pocket blunder might just be one of the stupidest things I've ever done in Smash Ultimate.

I haven’t stopped laughing at it since. Makes me laugh every time I see it. 

The second video from Thursdays Smash session. This one features matches after @RedShell was done and left @Ugh first aid, @BowserBasher and me to punch each other.

Some of the moments featured in @BowserBasher's videos above. I was halfway through making this when you posted it.

There's two matches I didn't have room for, so I guess I'll have to shove those into the inevitable next video I make next week.

Baseball!

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

And here’s the second video from me. Featuring that great dodge from Mario. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Time for the sequel that no one wanted! Another Smash Bros. Mii Fighter tournament (featuring another 32 Mii Fighters that missed out on the initial tournament due to the randomiser, I have over 64 of them!)

New stage time! :bouncy:

These are based on iconic video game weaponry. :grin: First up, the Monado!:

D6xT6nVU8AAhMDX?format=jpg&name=small

A perfect stage for Shulk as the default angle of the blade lends itself well to back slashes, and enabling his Jump Monado Art can grant access to the centre of the Monado*... where you can proceed to "really feel it!" :laughing: BTW, the switch inside there can also be activated from the outside by some items and final smashes. ;)

*Certain other characters can also reach the warp point (especially from respawn) and therefore ruin Shulk's fun. :heh: 

Next up, Bayonetta's Scarborough Fair!:

D6xT-8BUEAAD5Ht?format=jpg&name=small

Her legs constantly swing back-and-forth (to answer @Glen-i from the online thread, this was just done using gear tools with the anchor point set to the left of each leg) and you definitely don't want to get too close to the heel. :D There's a "safe" place underneath the gun, but getting there can be tricky.

And finally, a stage not based on a weapon, but still likely to be something a few people from here will enjoy, The Fresh Prince of Smash!:

D6xUDx6UcAMvQI1?format=jpg&name=small

Pretty standard stage this, as 99% of the available memory went on recreating the logo. But yeah, Will's ears (which are not initially visible in-game) can be landed on to recover, avoid attacks or collect any items that may have accumulated there, just don't try to edge grab them as that doesn't seem to work. :p

I've had that happen on a few of my stages now actually, where terrain is set to be grabbable, but for some reason it isn't. ::shrug:

Anyway, hope people enjoy these.

:peace:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Weird 1

Can any possibly tell me what I’ve missed? I think I got all the spirits. 

The fact that I got true ending must mean I beat everyone and collected all the spirits right?

17 minutes ago, BowserBasher said:

The fact that I got true ending must mean I beat everyone and collected all the spirits right?

Nope. You don't even need to save all the fighters to get the true ending.

Did you only get the true ending? Because there's two "not true" endings that count towards percentage. Try fighting those two bosses by themselves.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Nope. You don't even need to save all the fighters to get the true ending.

Did you only get the true ending? Because there's two "not true" endings that count towards percentage. Try fighting those two bosses by themselves.

Hmmm. Could be that. And yes. I’ve only faced the pair together. Was the first ending I got. How do you fight them alone? Is it too late?

3 minutes ago, BowserBasher said:

Hmmm. Could be that. And yes. I’ve only faced the pair together. Was the first ending I got. How do you fight them alone? Is it too late?

So, remember in the last section, when you went to the center area and Dharkon and Galeem both come towards you?

Well, instead. Move your character towards one of them and start the fight that way. There's a different ending for each one.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Glen-i said:

So, remember in the last section, when you went to the center area and Dharkon and Galeem both come towards you?

Well, instead. Move your character towards one of them and start the fight that way. There's a different ending for each one.

Thanks. I now have 100% completion. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, BowserBasher said:

Thanks. I now have 100% completion. 

Yep, whenever someone has 99.67% and doesn't know what they're missing, it's always that.

• Thanks 1

So I’ve started a title project in which I’m making a simple set of videos featuring all the Final Smash attacks. First two videos are done. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My latest creations:

Everyone loves Birdo, right? :heh: 

D7HlrWTU0AAl2F3?format=jpg&name=large

And get ready to eat lightning and crap thunder on this next stage, it’s especially good for Little Mac funnily enough: ;) 

D7HluRTVsAAd2Fo?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 1

Two Mii Fighter tournament videos for you all

The second one has a match that has an amazing ending.

OK, here it is, the final. I put a lot of effort into this one to make it seem final-ish so I would appreciate you give it a watch:

• Like 2

New stages are up.

This one is based on the N-E hunters that I have the highest unity levels with on Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate (@Glen-i, @S.C.G & @Ugh first aid) plus me in Prowler form. :)
Unfortunately the limitations of the stage builder didn't permit me to do this exactly as I'd planned, so I had to cut back the detail quite a bit on everyone but "Dino Chav" who I drew first. Also, S.C.G's look is a bit out of date, but your new armour didn't update on the guild card (what I was obviously using for a reference) so sorry about that. :hehe:

D7VMztAUIAAxkDH?format=jpg&name=small

Next up, Spaaaaaaaace Channel 5!: :cool:

Pretty proud of this one, it features a character that I'd still love to see in Smash, Ulala! Managed to get the SC5 logo in there as the main part of the stage, Ulala's platform ship (which is a good item collecting spot) and a couple of Morolians in the background too. Groovy! :D
OK, the stage is set, Sakurai... feel free to release Ulala now. :heh: 

D7VM25GVsAAing0?format=jpg&name=small

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

OK, this needs to be said, you have a real skill for drawing stuff in Stage Builder. I'm always impressed whenever I hop online and you surprise me with what you've cooked up.

That surprise normally changes to laughter though, because custom stages normally cause that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

OK, this needs to be said, you have a real skill for drawing stuff in Stage Builder. I'm always impressed whenever I hop online and you surprise me with what you've cooked up.

That surprise normally changes to laughter though, because custom stages normally cause that.

Cheers. :) 

I really love making custom stages, knowing that they provide surprise and laughter is the icing on the custom stage cake. :hehe: There will no doubt be many more to come, well, until Super Mario Maker 2 arrives or I run out of ideas, whichever happens first. :grin: 

• Like 1

So recently, Sakurai released a book over in Japan. In it, he discusses some things about Smash development. I'll put it in spoilers because it's a bit lengthy.

Spoiler

He knows some are serious, but he doesn't think characters like Ironman and Goku will happen. (p27)
- DLC could say shortening the life span of its franchise. For Smash those characters could join in next time. But Smash is also not a title to think about continuation so doing his best every time. (p27)
- He wants Smash to be more casual and see non-competitive tournaments. Smash is a party game. But he also knows he is not the one to plan those. (p31)
- In Smash for days, there was restriction of a time span to offer updates and 3DS had a limited number of times to update. So Wii U version had to do the same. This is why Lucas, Roy, and Ryu released at the same time. (p33)
- If it's a one time purchase type of game, then it's more efficient for the company to start making the next game than keep updating. (p59)
- Updates are normal thing these days, but still they are voluntary service. (p59)
- He always thinks it's important to hear voices from people not speaking up. Real beginners don't speak up. (p61)
- The plan of Smash Ultimate completed December 16th 2015. It's a coincidence, but was the same day of the last Smash for direct. (p63)
- He is not thinking of doing Smash ballot again. It was used in Smash Ultimate's development very much. (p63)
- Beyonetta was the first pick among realisable characters. Above her, there were old veterans like Snake and other characters that were already tried negotiating but got rejected. (p63)
- He was making the plans for Smash Ultimate during the vacation he got after Smash for DLC was done. (p69)
- He treats character's individuality as its own game itself. All the unique systems certain characters has are all newly built just for him/her. (p69)
- It's already had proven true that joining as a character in Smash has advertising effect. (p99)
- He played through beta version of Zelda BotW to the end in 2 days during the Smash Ultimate development because he needed to know how new Link works before anyone else. (p125)
- He thinks games should not be created based on researched data alone and saying games only born to imitate other games are misfortune. Those data should be used for marketings or managements, not to plan new games. Old data are old. (p133)
- (Speaking of Super Nintendo World) 60 billion yen is enough to make every Smash game up to Ultimate and more with couple ten billion of changes. Not many Japanese games have budgets over 10 billion yen. (p139)
- He wish there were Smash Area in Super Nintendo World. (p139)
- Smash Ultimate's DLC wasn't a thing at the time around Famitsu column vol. 546 January 11th 2018, and it was planned without the developers will. (p165)
- DLC developments in general take time, so by the time of the release, the market will be much smaller than it used to be. DLC business is very risky than people might think. (p165)
- They are not something sell that much so it's difficult to gather staffs. Sometimes better to move on to the next game. (p165)
- He is not fond of the idea of the season pass. Its a little scary to buy without knowing the contents. (p165)
- Omega and battlefield for every stages take a lot more work than people might think. (p187)
- HAL Laboratory, Inc. is still on the credits list, but not involved in the development anymore. (p188)
- If you think about the completion of the development, bringing back everyone is not something you should do. (p189)
- The team was very careful of leaks at E3 2018. They didn't use printed promotional materials to avoid leaks. "Everyone is here" wasn't known even in Nintendo so the when it happened Nintendo staffs were also screaming. (p190)
- Smash tend to have characters from older series. But just old characters wouldn't make Smash worthy. If there is no new series, then the selection of the characters will be from the old series. (p199)
- People say "why they can't do this easy stuff?" but there is always a reason for that, One correction could cause another bug. (p205)
- The story idea of World of Light was already existed since Smash Brawl. (p208)
- He doesn't follow internets reaction so didn't know all the fan predictions. (p209)
- The idea of the Spirits is kind of the last resort. He is not sure he'll be making another gameplay like the Spirits. (p211)
- There was a plan to include a map like the Spirits to the Adventure Mode in Smash Melee. (p211)
- He said he took a long vacation, but actually he was just taking breaks as the calendar goes. He has a cat so he can't go for a long trip. (p214)
- By the time of the end of March 2019, the online win ratio of every character are very close to each other at the point he almost thinks better not to change anymore. (p216)
- There are metas, so just certain characters were strong at that time is not good enough reason to make them change. (p216)

I'm with him on how he would like to see the non-competitive side of Smash get more tournaments and such. Don't get me wrong. That kind of competitive match has some truly impressive players, but I'll always prefer watching matches where items are on and all the stages get used, even if people are more my skill level.

Real men use items after all.

I also agree with his concern of "Real Beginners don't speak up" There's a real risk of having more serious players dictate how Smash mechanics work and it can be a detriment to people trying to play for the first time.

I think that kind of happened in Ultimate with the air dodge. Whenever I introduced a kid who's new to Smash, I try and explain some basic techniques to ease them in. Back in Smash WiiU, the air dodge was quite lenient with the ending lag, so you weren't punished too harshly for mistiming it.

In Ultimate, I've had to stop introducing the air dodge to newcomers, because you're punished incredibly harshly for using it at the wrong time. It works more like Melee's air dodge, which I've always disliked. It's very easy to accidently kill yourself because you pressed R in the air and have so much downtime afterwards, that you can never get back on to the stage.

Hell, I recall one recent match between me and @Ike on Final Destination where he was Dark Samus and I was Ryu, and it was really tense and exciting, but he lost his last life at the end not because I outplayed him, but because he mistakingly used an air dodge and had no hope of getting back from an easy recovery.

I like winning matches, but not like that... It felt like @Ike got robbed...

EDIT: It's actually in one of my highlight videos. Skip to 3:01 to see what I mean.

That match was awesome and it's such a shame it ended like that.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 1