NEurope
Julius

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

5 hours ago, LazyBoy said:

I want to pick up a Heavy for my regular rotation. Who do we reckon is the most fun of the heavys to play?

Off the top of my head:

Ganondorf seems to be the most popular heavy among the competitive community, and for good reason. His every move feels destructive, and he's known for being capable of killing anyone in about 3 moves. Plus, his sword gives him excellent range. The ideal "strong, but slow" character. Terrible in free-for-alls, though, and his recovery can let you down.

Incineroar is my main, and super fun. Plays like a grappler (not unlike Zangief), and good use of his revenge makes him as powerful as Ganon. He's got much better mobility, too. The main cons are his tricky recovery, and the fact that his clothesline might take some practice to get right.

Simon/Richter Belmont are heavy zoners, that is to say, projectile-based characters. Excellent range with their normals, oppressive projectiles, and a surprisingly satisfying uppercut. Main con is the terrible recovery, and the fact that you might get accused of being cheap.

King Dedede. Have you ever felt like throwing spiked balls at your enemies while whacking them with a long hammer if they get too close? Then Dedede will do the deed. Also, excellent recovery. Main flaw is that he's easier to punish than the other examples.

27 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Don't ask why, but someone has written trophy style descriptions for all 1,303 Spirits.

@Dcubed will be chuffed about that. Be careful of spoilers for games you might not have played (*cough* Mother 3 *cough*)

No, there's still only 2 Final Fantasy Spirits.

These are actually pretty good! They're the kinds of descriptions you'd actually expect in-game, someone has put a lot of time and effort into this! :D 

41 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

These are actually pretty good! They're the kinds of descriptions you'd actually expect in-game, someone has put a lot of time and effort into this! :D 

It's worth browsing through them just to stumble upon the Fawful description.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Thank you for the heavy advice, but in the end I picked up pacman after I saw some of his combo videos (they're insane). Fun character, so much potential for mischief. Figuring out how to bring the fire hydrant into play, learning all the different items and mastering the side B are going to take a while, but I'm in now.

My primary rotation after 4 months of playing looks like this:

Olimar, Megaman, Sonic, G&W, Pacman

Still want to pick up a Heavy and a Sword wielder.

1 hour ago, LazyBoy said:

Well, considering I already gave you my thoughts on Shulk over on the online thread, I'll mention that I'm also a big fan of Chrom.

Much like his original fighter, Roy, Chrom is great for getting up close and personal in a quick, immediate fashion. One of the definitive pressurisers in Smash, I prefer him to Roy because he doesn't have to worry about hitting with the base of the blade, although he does do less damage than if Roy hits his sweet spot.

He has one of those strange single hitting jabs, which can take some getting used to, but his horizontal aerial speed is a bit higher than the average fighter, which can catch people off guard.

Weaknesses to keep in mind is that Chrom's recovery is very rigid, with his Up Special being similar to Ike's. His counter has a smaller activation window than most others so it's not as reliable. I suck with most counters anyway, so it doesn't bother me that much, but keep that in mind.

On the plus side, if you're playing as Chrom and Robin hits him with his Final Smash, it's always funny!

Edited by Glen-i

@Glen-i as you seem to be one of the few that seems to care for collecting all the spirits, maybe you can help a brother out?

I’ve collected all of them but on the spirit board my counter says 1301, so that means I’m still missing 2 that I once had in my posession. This should either be spirits I had to sacrifice for summoning summon-exclusive spirits or spirits that have been enhanced.

Fair enough, weren’t it for the fact I have no way to check which spirits I currently possess.

Would be great if I could sort the collection by entry number so I can easily check which ones I need to (re)collect.

Do you have a way of checking this that I haven’t discovered yet?

47 minutes ago, markderoos said:

@Glen-i as you seem to be one of the few that seems to care for collecting all the spirits, maybe you can help a brother out?

I’ve collected all of them but on the spirit board my counter says 1301, so that means I’m still missing 2 that I once had in my posession. This should either be spirits I had to sacrifice for summoning summon-exclusive spirits or spirits that have been enhanced.

Fair enough, weren’t it for the fact I have no way to check which spirits I currently possess.

Would be great if I could sort the collection by entry number so I can easily check which ones I need to (re)collect.

Do you have a way of checking this that I haven’t discovered yet?

I'm afraid there's no easy way to check on the Spirit List.

Now assuming you have all the fighter spirits already, there's three places it could possibly be.

1. A summoned spirit that may have been enhanced or used in another summoning.

2. A spirit you get through normal gameplay.

3. One of them could be Marx (First Form)

If you haven't played through Adventure Mode twice, then one of them is Marx. You'll need to play up until that boss fight.

As for the other places, you'll need to check the summon menu. Look for spirits that do not have a green tick icon on them. That means you don't currently own them.

If it's not there. You'll have to check the Spirit Board. Thankfully, Spirits that you don't have appear much more frequently. Like the summoning menu, Spirits you don't own won't have a green tick on the wanted poster.

That's all the advice I can give you. Good luck.

EDIT: I forgot that Dracula is an enhancable spirit as well. If Marx (First Form) is the Spirit you're missing, than Dracula is almost definitely the second.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, LazyBoy said:

Thank you for the heavy advice, but in the end I picked up pacman after I saw some of his combo videos (they're insane). Fun character, so much potential for mischief. Figuring out how to bring the fire hydrant into play, learning all the different items and mastering the side B are going to take a while, but I'm in now.

My primary rotation after 4 months of playing looks like this:

Olimar, Megaman, Sonic, G&W, Pacman

Noice. I too dig our flat everyman. Super fun character.

For sword wielders, may I suggest one of the Links? It sounds like you enjoy using zoners, and the Links all combine swords with projectiles.

Young Link is super quick, and the one who relies most on his projectiles. He plays a lot like a rushdown character in the sense that you always need to be pressuring the opponent when you play as him.

Toon Link I'm not that familiar with, since very few players seem to pick him up. From what I've seen, he's a version of Young Link that's less focused on rushdown (since he's not as fast), and fares better with his actual sword (which comes with more reliable kill moves).

Adult Link is by far the one I enjoy the most. Sure, he's slower and stronger than the other two, but it's his remote bomb that completely changes the playstyle, and allows for a good degree of stage control. I recommend watching a Link highlight reel to see the sort of cool set-ups he can do with that bomb.

Out of all the heavies, it does sound like King Dedede is the one that fits your playstyle the most. ROB as well, if you count him as a heavy.

Thanks @Glen-i it’s Marx and Dracula in that case because I haven’t finished WoL a second time. Liked it the first time, but gonna rush through it with my second run.

• Like 1

@Jonnas @Glen-i sage advice as always gentleman. Chrom is sounding good (sorry I didn't chime with Shulk), but I'll need to master that counter as I've always seen it as such as bonus for the sword characters.

What's really annoying Heavy wise is that I know I have the most fun playing Krool, but it feels cheap. Like I still sick with Sonic, but his ceiling feels so high and I'm getting better with him all the time. A pure skill character. Krool you can cheese a lot of games.

Does Wario count as a heavy? He looks like he's tough to learn.

44 minutes ago, LazyBoy said:

@Jonnas @Glen-i sage advice as always gentleman. Chrom is sounding good (sorry I didn't chime with Shulk), but I'll need to master that counter as I've always seen it as such as bonus for the sword characters.

What's really annoying Heavy wise is that I know I have the most fun playing Krool, but it feels cheap. Like I still sick with Sonic, but his ceiling feels so high and I'm getting better with him all the time. A pure skill character. Krool you can cheese a lot of games.

Does Wario count as a heavy? He looks like he's tough to learn.

"Never apologise for legitimately trying out a character and not feeling it" is what I tell the community centre kids.

Wario is tied for 12th Heaviest Character with Ike, Ridley and Simon/Richter. So yeah, he's pretty hefty, not quite as heavy as Ganondorf, etc. But he's definitely a heavyweight. Which makes his aerial speed all the more impressive.

He actually has three methods of recovery. The standard Up B, his side B (as long as the bike isn't somewhere else) and Down B (although that very slowly builds up over time). You need to pay real attention to what Wario can use to get back on to the stage, because if you use side B (his best recovery) and the bike is somewhere else, you're in serious trouble due to the looking around animation he does.

Anyway, here's a handy dandy list of character weight.

3 hours ago, LazyBoy said:

Heavy characters in general are more about the mind games than the skill to pull off flashy stuff. I'd say Donkey Kong is the closest to that, since not only must he play at his quickest, he also needs to keep enemies at an enormous-arm's length (almost like a sword character). Ridley is also a very tricky character to use, as his toolkit is pretty unique (but still dependant on mindgames to be effective).

Oh, and looking at the list Glen-i put out: Piranha Plant. Not the most obvious heavy, but she's definitely not easy or cheesy to learn.

(Though all things considered, I still recommend King Dedede above the others. Dude can glue a Gordo to the ledge)

2 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Wario is tied for 12th Heaviest Character with Ike, Ridley and Simon/Richter.

Anyway, here's a handy dandy list of character weight.

Wait, Ridley's as heavy as the Belmonts? Man, the online community keeps harping on Ridley for being lighter than Samus, but I didn't know it was just by one point.

Edited by Jonnas

content-4-35753-supersmashbrosultimatep5updatebanner.jpg

Hot off the press, Joker is now available in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate so long as you've already bought the season pass.

The entire 3.0 update goes live today (17/04/2019) including a host of new features. (one which @RedShell will be very happy about) ;)

Of course Nintendo would choose to drop this video at around 3AM, ah well, it was worth watching and posting the article.

Check it all out on the main page (click the above banner) it'll be nice to finally play as Joker... :D

...but first, sleep. :zzz:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

The new Stage Builder looks SICK!!! It looks so much more robust than before!! (ROTATING PLATFORMS!! OH MY GOD YES!!)

I can't wait for the glorious return of Barrels of Doom and SMALLL!!!111!!1 :D 

Oh shit! THE LADDER IS BACK FROM BRAWL!! We can make The MGS3 Ladder stage again @Glen-i!

I'm already teeming with dozens of ideas for terrible amazing stages right now! :bouncy:

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

@Dcubed I told you that Home Run Contest wasn't coming this update.

Everything looks great though! Can't wait to see what barmy ideas you lot come up with!

• Thanks 1

So it's coming out in the middle of the night in the UK/Europe, is that right?

Well I feel like a fool... after posting the news early this morning that it was today for the 3.0 update, which it is in the USA...

...it's actually tomorrow for the UK and Europe. :blush:

I'm sat here with my Switch updated, checking the eShop looking for the DLC while doing Duke Nukem impressions...

"Where is it?" :p

Ah well... at least I can sort my software icons until then... or do something useful like post a certain feature on the main site... ;)

...yeah, I might do that I reckon, it's going to be a lonnnng day. :D

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tim B said:

So it's coming out in the middle of the night in the UK/Europe, is that right?

Some seem to think it's releasing at midnight in Japan, which would be 4pm today UK time. But Sakurai tweeted that it would go live in the afternoon over there, in which case it'll be 4/5am for the UK/Europe. Here's hoping they just chuck it out there at midnight though and we do get it this afternoon. :D I mean it's all ready to roll, so let us have it! :bouncy:I really want to start working on custom stages tonight. :hehe:

• Like 1

Mass Destruction is coming to Smash! And a stage that changes aesthetic along with the music! Hell yeah!

I'm also looking forward to seeing what kind of masterpieces the Stage Builder will allow for.

So are we going to be able to use the stage builder stages in our online arena battles?

5 hours ago, LazyBoy said:

So are we going to be able to use the stage builder stages in our online arena battles?

I've got the horrible feeling we won't...

I feel like it would have been mentioned if that was the case.

Just a gut feeling though. I haven't actually downloaded the update yet.

EDIT: It's there! A toggable option in Battle Arenas! Woo!

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 2