NEurope
Julius

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

2 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Haha. Yeah, it certainly is a lengthy campaign. 

Where abouts are you and I'll tell you how far you've got left to go.

Spoiler

I'm in the Dark Realm, just finished the Zelda area, so I assume I have the other two to do and then that's it. Please, please tell me that's it.

Really disappointed by the lack of cutscenes. Even the one before getting to the dark world wasn't up to much as there weren't any characters in it. If you're going to make a 20+ hour campaign with nothing but repetitive battles over and over, at least give us something to enjoy every so often to lessen the grind.

Edited by Ronnie

45 minutes ago, Ronnie said:
  Hide contents

Really disappointed by the lack of cutscenes. Even the one before getting to the dark world wasn't up to much as there weren't any characters in it. If you're going to make a 20+ hour campaign with nothing but repetitive battles over and over, at least give us something to enjoy every so often to lessen the grind.

Spoiler

Spoiler

You're almost done. There is one final area after the two you mentioned.

The problem with the cutscenes is that most of the characters are completely optional to get, so it has to be assumed that the player doesn't have them.

Whereas with Subspace Emissary, every character was mandatory, so the story could be built around that.

Edited by Glen-i

There's another area, @Ronnie but it's not as long as the previous ones. 

If it's starting to bore you then just keep picking away at it in between other modes.

OK, now I'm certain @Hero-of-Time has put me on his ignore list.

That's the third time he's repeated the same thing I've said.

Which means I can say that he's a big stoopid doo-doo head.

• Haha 2

Spoiler

ANOTHER area!?!?!?!? WTF. :eek:

@Hero-of-Time I'm like you in that I like to finish games, or at least in Smash's case, modes and this is the one I want to 100%. It's just way, way too long.

@Glen-i, yeah of course but I wish they'd found a way, even if they made some unlocks mandatory and had an accompanying cutscene to go with it.

Is the end cutscene decent at least, without spoiling?

5 minutes ago, Ronnie said:
  Reveal hidden contents

ANOTHER area!?!?!?!? WTF. :eek:

@Hero-of-Time I'm like you in that I like to finish games, or at least in Smash's case, modes and this is the one I want to 100%. It's just way, way too long.

@Glen-i, yeah of course but I wish they'd found a way, even if they made some unlocks mandatory and had an accompanying cutscene to go with it.

Is the end cutscene decent at least, without spoiling?

Nope. I think all their budget went on the opening. :p 

15 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Nope. I think all their budget went on the opening. :p 

:blank:

Great.

12 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Jesus christ, I thought I was at the end of World of Light and it just keeps going. Enormously so. I'm not sure I can be bothered finishing it at this rate, it just dumps what looks like hundreds of extra battles on you out of the blue

Wait... I'm nowhere near done? Just unlocked both routes to Galeem and cleared up most of the Spirit Board, apart from a few spirits like that insanely difficult Pauline fight.

Been using Simon Belmont ever since finding him, so pretty much the entire second half of the map. I've opened up the path to Galeem on both sides now and will do him at the next opportunity available.

My first reaction when I discovered what you,@Ronnie have just found out, was the same.

But then I thought; I only got this game for a week. As a kid it took what I remember as months before I finished TMNT on the NES. And that was way more repetitive and with even less cut scenes 😂

I think TMNT was waaaay less repetitive. And at least tried to tell a story!

It’s such a missed opportunity. They make these amazing looking character reveal trailers, gigantic mic artwork featuring every character battling, billboards come to life and that epic WOL of Light intro... and they show everything to us before the game even releases with barely anything new to watch in the game itself. I realise YouTube and leakers are a thing but come on. Would it have killed them to have proper animated boss cutscenes? Or made the progression a tad more linear to give the fans what they really want, this amazingly diverse set of Nintendo characters interacting?

It follows a trend we’ve seen in the last few years with Nintendo where they reveal pretty much EVERYTHING in a game before it’s even out. Really annoying and I’m really gutted to hear the ending isn’t up to much. Makes me wonder why I bother with spirit battle 1239. 

Someone might have already posted something about this, but if so, I missed it ::shrug:

Today, Cygames announced Granblue Fantasy Versus, a fighting game based on the popular mobile game Granblue Fantasy, which is to be developed by Arc System Works, and released in 2019 in Japan. 

People are probably confused as to what this has to do with Smash, and well...

On the Monday just gone, December 10th, someone posted this message on 5Channel, a popular messaging board in Japan:

Joker

The stage is Mementos

Jack Frost appears on screen with a skill

Marketing of P5R (complete version) and P5U (fighting game)

P5R is 2019

P5U is delayed because Arc is busy with the development of a Granblue fighting game

We already knew at the time that Joker was coming to Smash, but the implication that Persona 5 Arena is being delayed due to Arc working on Granblue Fantasy Versus seems to have some trace of truth to it considering that that game was confirmed to be in the works today. Of course, the supposed leaker seemingly confirms that a Persona 5 Rouge/Complete/Ultimate/whatever is on the way next year, as well as Persona 5 Arena, but what’s this all got to do with Smash, I hear you ask?

Well, in another post, that same poster might have revealed the identity of one of the four yet-to-be-announced DLC for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. And it’s a character that makes all too much sense, given that it seems to be the case that Nintendo of Japan are the ones calling the shots on the game’s DLC, and given that Joker from Persona 5, of all characters, was revealed to be coming to Ultimate.

And given the current renewed interest in Persona 5 after Joker’s reveal, this could be a very, very smart move by Nintendo and the other party potentially involved. Here was the other post made by that user: 

Spoiler

Erdrick

Stage is Alefgard

Erdrick (Male) and Erdrick (Female), 2 colors each of Anlucia and the Dragon Quest XI Hero

Slime appears on screen with a skill

Achieved through active collaboration on Square’s side

To the benefit of overseas marketing for the DQ series

Edited by Julius

13 minutes ago, Julius said:

Someone might have already posted something about this, but if so, I missed it ::shrug:

Today, Cygames announced Granblue Fantasy Versus, a fighting game based on the popular mobile game Granblue Fantasy, which is to be developed by Arc System Works, and released in 2019 in Japan. 

People are probably confused as to what this has to do with Smash, and well...

On the Monday just gone, December 10th, someone posted this message on 5Channel, a popular messaging board in Japan:

We already knew at the time that Joker was coming to Smash, but the implication that Persona 5 Arena is being delayed due to Arc working on Granblue Fantasy Versus seems to have some trace of truth to it considering that that game was confirmed to be in the works today. Of course, the supposed leaker seemingly confirms that a Persona 5 Rouge/Complete/Ultimate/whatever is on the way next year, as well as Persona 5 Arena, but what’s this all got to do with Smash, I hear you ask?

Well, in another post, that same poster might have revealed the identity of one of the four yet-to-be-announced DLC for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. And it’s a character that makes all too much sense, given that it seems to be the case that Nintendo of Japan are the ones calling the shots on the game’s DLC, and given that Joker from Persona 5, of all characters, was revealed to be coming to Ultimate.

And given the current renewed interest in Persona 5 after Joker’s reveal, this could be a very, very smart move by Nintendo and the other party potentially involved. Here was the other post made by that user: 

Potential Smash Ultimate DLC character information (Reveal hidden contents)

Erdrick

Stage is Alefgard

Erdrick (Male) and Erdrick (Female), 2 colors each of Anlucia and the Dragon Quest XI Hero

Slime appears on screen with a skill

Achieved through active collaboration on Square’s side

To the benefit of overseas marketing for the DQ series

Spoiler

The one thing I think is the biggest thing against it is Square's complete stinginess when it came to Final Fantasy stuff in Smash.

I mean, they wouldn't even let the Smash team use some bloody JPEG's for some FF7 spirits.

And this is the series where the music composer refuses to let the western games have orchestrated soundtracks because he wants to sell concert tickets.

No, something about that just doesn't sit right with me. I think it might be too little for too much grief.

Tried to go for the 9.9 with K Rool again, got to final boss with 9.6 intensity, ended up screwing up and needed two tickets to continue...but while the tickets Don't lose intensity using them still reduces the gain after a win and only gained 0.2 so finished with 9.8 damn so close.

Meh gonna sleep now and try again tomorrow

Still have 4 tickets left

8 hours ago, Mokong said:

Tried to go for the 9.9 with K Rool again, got to final boss with 9.6 intensity, ended up screwing up and needed two tickets to continue...but while the tickets Don't lose intensity using them still reduces the gain after a win and only gained 0.2 so finished with 9.8 damn so close.

Meh gonna sleep now and try again tomorrow

Still have 4 tickets left

My experience is that using a ticket on the final boss is only an option if you start the fight at 9.9. It won't ever go beyond 9.8 if you use tickets. 

Yeah, mindFreak is correct. I got to the boss with Roy at 9.9 intensity, and wasted 5 tickets just to be done with it :P. Got my achievement though, so I'm happy (even though it's kinda cheating).

How would this game fare for the person who isn't all that bothered about online play? Bar the original Smash Bros I got every incarnation and went through it all, but never really played it with other people. Now the time has come where shizzle like this is geared towards online play and I don't know how bothered I would be. I'm sure I would play online with it, but it wouldn't be the bulk of my experience with it.

13 minutes ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

How would this game fare for the person who isn't all that bothered about online play? Bar the original Smash Bros I got every incarnation and went through it all, but never really played it with other people. Now the time has come where shizzle like this is geared towards online play and I don't know how bothered I would be. I'm sure I would play online with it, but it wouldn't be the bulk of my experience with it.

It depends if you bothered about trying to unlock all the challenges. Like you, I wasn't bothered about playing online and I got around 30-40 hours out of the game just by playing through the single player campaign and doing all the challenges.

13 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

It depends if you bothered about trying to unlock all the challenges. Like you, I wasn't bothered about playing online and I got around 30-40 hours out of the game just by playing through the single player campaign and doing all the challenges.

I probably would try all the challenges, I wouldn't be bothered in "platinum"-ing them (if such a concept exists in this) as I just think that kind of thing is a waste of time for me personally.

If they got stuff like the target smash, that was nice. And I assume Yoshi is still the best character to do the bag guy smash thing?

45 minutes ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

I probably would try all the challenges, I wouldn't be bothered in "platinum"-ing them (if such a concept exists in this) as I just think that kind of thing is a waste of time for me personally.

If they got stuff like the target smash, that was nice. And I assume Yoshi is still the best character to do the bag guy smash thing?

There's no target smash or sandbag modes in this version of the game. 

If you're not really bothered about doing all of the challenges then that just leaves World of Light. That mode is lengthy but can be too repetitive for some.

Given what you've said I would probably give the game a miss if I were you as there doesn't seem to be much in it that would be of interest to you.

2 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

There's no target smash or sandbag modes in this version of the game. 

If you're not really bothered about doing all of the challenges then that just leaves World of Light. That mode is lengthy but can be too repetitive for some.

Given what you've said I would probably give the game a miss if I were you as there doesn't seem to be much in it that would be of interest to you.

Holy shit no sandbag?!

So what kinda challenges are there? I've always been down for some sidequest-esque action

4 minutes ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

Holy shit no sandbag?!

So what kinda challenges are there? I've always been down for some sidequest-esque action

Just the usual stuff, like beating the game on the hardest difficulty, winning fights in certain conditions and finishing the single player campaign. There's over 120 to take on and unlock.

• Like 1

Pretty impressive stuff overall.

I enjoyed that eight-player Smash with only Ice Climbers stress test.

Interestingly, the input lag is higher than previous versions even with a wired GameCube controller but I still say it's relatively imperceptible.

I haven't had much of a chance to play this over the past couple of nights as I've just been too tired from work, later on though I intend to unlock a few more characters. :D

32 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Just the usual stuff, like beating the game on the hardest difficulty, winning fights in certain conditions and finishing the single player campaign. There's over 120 to take on and unlock.

Awesome thanks, I might invest when it goes down in price. Then play catch up to try and be good with at least one character for online action :D