NEurope
Julius

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Sorry to disappoint you @Ike, but Master Hand has being doing the finger snap move since 3DS Smash.

World of Light is amazing. But I don't need to tell you all that. Currently...

Spoiler

I'm at the Castlevania sub-section.

The Zelda Sub-section made me chuckle with it's puzzles. That treasure chest one to get Chrom was particularly clever.

Someone's already done 9.9, huh?

Well, I'm gonna breeze through it then. I'm one of the nutters who did WiiU 9.0 with no deaths, after all.

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

Wow, World of Light just keeps going eh :blank:

That's why I prefer the spirit board. Instant gratification. :p

Serious annoyance. 

I played last night in handheld mode and it was terrible without a GC controller, but I had to change the controls a bit to make it at least bearable. 

Tonight i am playing again with the GC controller and the game still thinks that the ‘In Use’ method is the dual joy-con, pro controller set up etc. 

IT IS NOT. 

It won’t let me change it. I am in the option to ‘change default controller settings’ and it wont let me change anything. I can click the GameCube controller icon but it just lets me change the buttons it doesn’t let me apply it as my control method. 

Any ideas? Ive quit all the way out of WOL and am still getting the same thing happen in the normal options menu. 

I spent most the day just mopping up challenges and have now finished 112/124. All that's left is a bunch of online ones and 3 in Adventure mode. Two of those I can do ( one with a hammer as I've got 7 left and other with a bit of grinding ) but the final one is probably out of my reach. You can't use a hammer on it and it looks like you have to defeat the final boss without losing a life. Getting to it is a tedious affair and I'm not sure if you can even lose a life on the way to fighting it.

I'll probably get a few of the online  challenges done and then call it a day with the game and stick it on the shelf. I've stuck close to 40 hours into it. Not bad for pretty much just playing the single player content of the game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Sméagol said:

That's why I prefer the spirit board. Instant gratification. :p

I’m loving it, it’s just LONG.

Surprised to see some light puzzle solving and Metroidvania aspects in it.

I also didn’t think I’d enjoy the spirit system as much as I do, it’s surprisingly fun. Also how every fight is a little dose of nostalgia or fan service. Or who the F is that in the case of Fire Emblem spirits. :blank:

18 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I’m loving it, it’s just LONG.

Title of your sextape. :p Brooklyn Nine-Nine reference, in case anybody isn't in the know.

Aaanywaays, how's the online? Would love to know if it's any better than Brawl's online offering. Shouldn't be too difficult to be better than that...

Edited by drahkon
  • Haha 2

Made a fair amount of progress on World of Light. Found my first major boss in the mode, fought and defeated it.

In my next play session I adjusted my strategy based on what people were saying here. I used to Autopick spirits until I got the highest levelled one as shown in the video above but I didn't quite notice the star ratings until now. So I'm focusing on levelling up my 3* spirits until they reach higher levels and then picking based on type advantages which I am finally properly familiar with.

I loved the Shedinja fight. How the opponent is mostly invincible... but only has 1HP. If someone had played every game which the source material came from then they would absolutely love this mode but about half of the references in the single player get lost on me. Some really hard spirit fights have shown up like the Viridi fight in which you have to defeat her before the Reset Bomb explodes which would be fine if she wasn't a 4* spirit with really high stats and an annoying other character.

I'm using Luke Skywalker/Mii Swordfighter in my matches now after switching from Marth. Depending on who you main in the game it could take a very long time to find your characters of choice and I am no closer to finding anyone I'm competent with (namely Roy, Ike, Bayonetta, Chrom, Bowser Jr. and maybe Cloud, Simon, Richter and Ridley) bar the Mii. Ike overall is the character I want to find the most and definitely before I finish the game. I have unlocked most of the map though there's a massive portion on the right that's blocked by a wall of light that I can't pass.

I can also confirm that being able to play local multiplayer on the go is a really good feature to have for a Smash Bros game... but the only caveat is that the screen size is rather small. If you're OK with it then that's great but after a 4 player match with my friends one of them dropped out due to not liking how small the screen was (unless that was just an excuse for coming last...). I managed to get hit by a Fake Final Smash ball after delivering the final blow... just after explaining to my friends how there was a Fake Final Smash Ball in the game now.

DuK3xGLWwAASznf.jpg

Oh yeah, I love some of the images they have in the Challenges section

DuK1u3jW4AAGOKR.jpg

DuLFKItWoAA98aP.jpg

• Like 1

I just want to find Ness God damnit ! 

After bitching and moaning about the RPG elements this really started to click last night and I’m enjoying it a lot. 

I just can’t play in anything other than docked mode as the GC controller really is the only way for me. 

In hindsight, I actually think the fact I didn’t have a GC controller option for the Wii / Wii U versions of Smash is probably the main reason I just wasn’t into them as much. 

It’s definitely not as enjoyable to play for me without the GC controller. 

Edited by Aneres11
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I spent most the day just mopping up challenges and have now finished 112/124. All that's left is a bunch of online ones and 3 in Adventure mode. Two of those I can do ( one with a hammer as I've got 7 left and other with a bit of grinding ) but the final one is probably out of my reach. You can't use a hammer on it and it looks like you have to defeat the final boss without losing a life. Getting to it is a tedious affair and I'm not sure if you can even lose a life on the way to fighting it.

I woke up at half 6 this morning and thought...

giphy.gif

I took at look at my Spirits and fighter and switched things up. I equipped Geno as my Primary Spirit, which gave me 3 slots, and then equipped Celebi as my Support Spirit. This used up 3 slots but it gave me the auto ability to heal 5% every 5 seconds. I had been using Kirby all the way through the adventure mode but I figured he wouldn't cut it anymore and picked King K. Rool. He served me well in getting the 9.9 challenge done, what with his heavy hitting side attacks, and I figure the fact that he's hard to knock of the stage would be a plus. After a few attempts I finally completed the challenge! 

After doing it I was like...

tumblr_nkza82vG2T1rs5gxyo1_500.gif

With that done, the road is clear for me to finish off all of the challenges. I guess that's the rest of my day sorted. I'll probably use a bunch of hammers on the online ones, such as play 100 and 200 games online. They are easy to do but stupidly time consuming.

• Thanks 1

There's a patch incoming and it will render your replays invalid. If you want to save them, convert them to video in the Replay menu.

Hmm. Maybe this will change King K. Rool so one should probably try to do those challenges with him in case they nerf him.

Problem is, I haven't played this since launch day because I haven't had the TV to myself, and playing tabletop is not really the best way to play it. (However, Monster Boy is splendid and has kept me busy so that's fine.)

Edited by MindFreak

When will the patch hit? I need to do those challenges too I reckon. And thanks for the reminder that the replays will be killed off by the updates!

Is anyone else constantly humming the Smash Bros Ultimate theme all day, or is it just me?

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ArtMediocre said:

Is anyone else constantly humming the Smash Bros Ultimate theme all day, or is it just me?

*La la-la, lala la-la lala, la la la-la lalaaaaaa* :grin:

:blank:

Huh, did you say something? ;)

15 minutes ago, ArtMediocre said:

Pretty much constantly 

No I have a different tune from the soundtrack each time. I was thinking, lets sets the tune for some of the stages! Did the first normal stage, the Mario one from Smash 64, and I was going through the tracks.. "Ah, I like this one! This one too, no not this one.". Then I realized I wasn't even halfway, so I gave up.. Of course, other stages will be easier to select tracks for (like the FF 7 stage :laughing: ).

Apart from the theme, I also have K. Rool's boss theme in my head, and the Brain Training theme (I wasn't familiar with it before). And others will pop up as well.

Edit: Ah, it's not Brain training. I'll see which one it is I'm talking about.

Edit: It's this one:

Also, they announced a spirit event, with exclusive spirits showing up at set times, and spirits wearing glasses showing up more than usual in general.

Edited by Sméagol

It is done! All challenges complete!

DuOidJSU8AIY1Rx?format=jpg&name=medium

I've still got 6 hammers left ( used 2 on the 100 & 200 online matches and 1 on Spirits board ) as I wanted to keep some back just on the off chance some more challenges get added as DLC.

• Like 5

Struggling with a Zero Suit Samus boss.

It’s a stamina battle and she has like 180% health. Ive had her down to 10% twice and the time runs out for the battle and results in my defeat. 

Urgh!! 

EDIT

Scrap that. Just tried again and the stupid b*tch fell off the stage early on. So there’s that one done. Lovely. 

Edited by Aneres11
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

You can't use a hammer on it and it looks like you have to defeat the final boss without losing a life. Getting to it is a tedious affair and I'm not sure if you can even lose a life on the way to fighting it.

I accidentally did that one when I finished WoL.

Spoiler

I used Mario (As well as Sonic and Cloud, they're not my best characters, but it seemed appropriate to team them up for the grand finale, shame I didn't get to use them.)

I used a 6,000-ish Primary (Link from Link Between Worlds) Spirit with the Celebi Support Spirit. Celebi has an amazing ability that heals 3% damage every 5 seconds.

You probably already have this, but the extra aerial jump adventure skill is a must for this, leaves you with more room for error.

With a 4 star spirit, that Celebi support and the right character, (Not Ganondorf, Little Mac or Incineroar) it should be do-able.

Failing that, that challenge doesn't specify a difficulty, so you could set it to easy.

EDIT: And then I realised you already had everything done...

Ignore what I said then.

Edited by Glen-i

The one song that keeps getting stuck in my head, mainly because of cheesiness, is this F-Zero song:

Oh yeah, just beat Giga Bowser and about halfway through World of Light now. At least I think so anyway because it looks like you have to defeat three major bosses before you can challenge Galeem

That wall of light down the middle of the map has finally come down and I have now unlocked Simon Belmont so I have a character I am somewhat familiar with to play the second half with. Hopefully Ike is somewhere in this second half of the map. I can see where the third major boss battle is now too.

I just want to find Ness God damnit ! 
After bitching and moaning about the RPG elements this really started to click last night and I’m enjoying it a lot. 
I just can’t play in anything other than docked mode as the GC controller really is the only way for me. 
In hindsight, I actually think the fact I didn’t have a GC controller option for the Wii / Wii U versions of Smash is probably the main reason I just wasn’t into them as much. 
It’s definitely not as enjoyable to play for me without the GC controller. 
Apparently if you get a USB to USB C adapter, you can use a GameCube controller in handheld mode.

f533365555b647c358d02b6a1b75cf58.jpg

So now I've finished Classic Mode with every character. Not at super high difficulties, mind. But it's done. Gotta do 9.9 now. But I'll leave that for later.

I'm guessing there's no Boss Rush mode like Brawl had? That's a real missed opportunity... Would have been really easy to implement that. I would have sunk hours into it. But without it, there's no way easy way to fight the bosses with whoever you want.

• Thanks 1

Weirdly I'm kinda clearing up in online matches. Don't know if it's because Olimar needs nerfing, or I'm just good, but the lack of other Olimars seems like a good sign.

Does anyone on here have any experience with tournaments or know how to get into the competitive scene? After playing this for a week I'm convinced there's enough depth in the game to be playing it for a while, so I would love to take it to the next step. Has anyone got any tips on how to find tournaments?

Decided to make Ike my main but got crushed in several online matches. Went back as Kirby, who I have been playing as since the N64, and won every match. But I'm so bored of playing as him!

I tried Ryu after never buying the DLC-pack for Wii U, and my god I love him :D. He has a lot of varied attacks, and he packs a ton of punches! And the joy I got when I found out I could use old school Street Fighter controller combos for his attacks... The amount of love and detail put into this game is getting out of hand!

1 hour ago, ArtMediocre said:

I tried Ryu after never buying the DLC-pack for Wii U, and my god I love him :D. He has a lot of varied attacks, and he packs a ton of punches! And the joy I got when I found out I could use old school Street Fighter controller combos for his attacks... The amount of love and detail put into this game is getting out of hand!

Ryu was definitely my surprise hit of WiiU's DLC. I was convinced he was gonna be a pretty boring character. But his Street Fighter inputs make him stand out in Smash Bros.

Ken has an extra 2 inputs. You can find them in the move list.

One thing that did change with Ryu is the fact that in 1 on 1 fights, he now always faces his opponent (unless you run). It makes it much easier to pull off shoryuken and is another nice touch.

He can now also cancel aerial attacks to connect into specials. So you could theoretically pull off grab - up throw - Up air - Shoryuken for a simple, but effective combo.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, GenericAperson said:

The one song that keeps getting stuck in my head, mainly because of cheesiness, is this F-Zero song:

Best track in the game. :cool: I haven’t unlocked them all yet, but am pretty damn sure it won’t make a difference . ;) 

Got this one earlier:

DuTRGcDUcAA-Tve?format=jpg&name=large

*sniff*... :cry:

8 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Gotta do 9.9 now. But I'll leave that for later.

I did 9.9 with R.O.B, and found it to be a lot easier than in the previous games.

The biggest challenge in Ultimate (outside of Cruel Smash :hehe:) is definitely found in the legendary Spirit battles! Some of those are just nuts. :o 

Anyway, still working my way through World of Light, but having unlocked all the characters and done most their classic mode runs, it’s definitely time to start turning my attention more to online play now. :) 

Did manage to get some local multiplayer games in the other day, with a friend that used to play quite a bit of Smash up until Brawl. He’s not followed this version though, so was unaware of the fake Smash ball. :heh: Needless to say I took full advantage of that situation, with hilarious results! :laughing:

It’s a shame that trick will only work once. :D