NEurope
Julius

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

I'm just hoping I'll at least have heard of some of the DLC characters.

1 minute ago, bob said:

I'm just hoping I'll at least have heard of some of the DLC characters.

Which characters out of the base roster are you not familiar with? I gotta assume it's the Fire Emblem characters that a lot of people don't recognise, as the rest of the roster is pretty well known and iconic.

7 minutes ago, RedShell said:

I’m expecting the DLC to include several third party characters, it’s a great way to generate additional hype and get even more people interested in the game post-launch. The Nintendo fanbase is already on-board (and then some :hehe:) so it makes more sense to try and expand the audience beyond that.

Anyway, I’m now leaning more towards getting the digital version, although it means I will be pretty much completely out of storage space on my Switch/SD card. ::shrug:

Aren't there some games that you can just archive? I do this a lot, especially with single-player games as I rarely return to them after completing them. This way, a 128 GB SD card provides plenty of storage.

10 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

Aren't there some games that you can just archive? I do this a lot, especially with single-player games as I rarely return to them after completing them. This way, a 128 GB SD card provides plenty of storage.

Yeah, I’ve already archived quite a lot of stuff, Zelda DLC, Mario + Rabbids, the majority of my eShop games... Then again I’m still only using a 32 GB SD card at the moment. :grin: 

Edited by RedShell

Which characters out of the base roster are you not familiar with? I gotta assume it's the Fire Emblem characters that a lot of people don't recognise, as the rest of the roster is pretty well known and iconic.
Yeah, although I'd never heard of Richter either.

Mostly it was the names being thrown around after the 'leak' that I'd not heard of. Who the hell is Rex? Who are the Chorus Kids? Issac? Geno?

I'm not saying they aren't popular characters, presumably they are, I just couldn't tell you what game they're from, let alone what they look like.

39 minutes ago, RedShell said:

Yeah, I’ve already archived quite a lot of stuff, Zelda DLC, Mario + Rabbids, the majority of my eShop games... Then again I’m still only using a 32 GB SD card at the moment. :grin: 

Well that explains it then!

27 minutes ago, bob said:

Yeah, although I'd never heard of Richter either.

Mostly it was the names being thrown around after the 'leak' that I'd not heard of. Who the hell is Rex? Who are the Chorus Kids? Issac? Geno?

I'm not saying they aren't popular characters, presumably they are, I just couldn't tell you what game they're from, let alone what they look like.

Rex is from Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (Switch)

latest?cb=20170613184500&path-prefix=en

Issac is from Golden Sun (GBA)

latest?cb=20120309174531

Geno is from Super Mario RPG (SNES)

200px-Geno_SMRPG.gif

Chorus Kids are from Rhythm Heaven ( DS )

latest?cb=20170621170857&path-prefix=en

• Like 1

Strangely enough, I do have some idea of who's recognisable based on the kids who I play games with at the community centre. They range from 7-15 years old, so definitely out of our forum bubble. So I can make a tier list of sorts on who's cool with the young people these days.

Because they already kinda know the characters from Smash 4, I can't really give a fair assessment with them. So I'm sticking with characters that weren't in the last game.

This is based on their general reaction to their reveal for Ultimate, whether they recognise it from the Smash render and whether they can pinpoint what game/series they're from.

"Oh, they're in it? Cool!" (Immediate recognition, majority know where it's from)

Daisy, Piranha Plant, Squirtle, Incineroar, Inkling

"You know, that guy, from that thing" (Some recognition, some know where it's from)

Ivysaur, Pichu, Isabelle

"That one nerd knows it" (One person got it, and no, it wasn't me)

King K. Rool, Snake, Ken

"Lucky Guess" (No-one knew who it was, but they could tell me where they're from)

Young Link, Dark Samus, Wolf, Chrom

"Literally, who?" (Total nobodies that no-one recognised)

Ridley, Ice Climbers, Simon, Richter

Yeah, Mario characters are in a whole different league to the rest, everyone knows them. The latest Pokémon series is shown on kids channels, so Incineroar is mostly known from that. The other Pokémon probably have GO to thank for their popularity.

I had to stifle laughs when I showed Chrom's picture to them. Half of them thought it was Marth, but they knew it was Fire Emblem. Blue hair gives it away.

Ridley surprised me though, they play Smash 4. They've played the Pyrosphere stage, they still didn't know who Ridley was.

So yeah, thought that would be interesting to share, nowhere near conclusive, sure, but...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Tbh I know Ken is from a fighting game, but don't know which one. I would guess Street Fighter. Same with Ryu. Is he from Tekken?

Isabelle I know is from Animal Crossing, although I haven't played the version with her in it. Don't know why we got her rather than Tom Nook.

All the Chrom, Shulk, Marth characters are basically the same to me. But I know they're from Fire Emblem.

And of course Cloud is from SMB.

• Haha 3
  • Weird 2

2 hours ago, bob said:

Isabelle I know is from Animal Crossing, although I haven't played the version with her in it. Don't know why we got her rather than Tom Nook.

All the Chrom, Shulk, Marth characters are basically the same to me. But I know they're from Fire Emblem.

Isabelle is literally the most popular Animal Crossing character because of the game she appeared in, she was always gonna get in over Tom.

Shulk is from the first Xenoblade Chronicles. You can tell because he's got a British accent.

Isabelle is literally the most popular Animal Crossing character because of the game she appeared in, she was always gonna get in over Tom.
Shulk is from the first Xenoblade Chronicles. You can tell because he's got a British accent.
I thought Shulk was a girl to be honest. But I guess that makes sense that they'd put a second XC character in then.

2 hours ago, bob said:

Tbh I know Ken is from a fighting game, but don't know which one. I would guess Street Fighter. Same with Ryu. Is he from Tekken?

Where's that 'not sure if serious' gif... :laughing:

Spoiler

Spirits

Spirits are characters that have lost their physical forms. Equipping your fighter with spirits will power them up with all sorts of new abilties. Wondering how many kinds of spirits there are? You'll have to see for yourself!

ffaba4b8c01494868dcb28d0921b8c2e.jpg

203_2_EN.jpg

203_3_EN.jpg

Spirit Battles

Spirit battles have various conditions that may remind you of the character you're battling. If you manage to win one of these matches, you'll get a chance to capture the spirit for yourself!

204_1_EN.jpg

204_2_EN.jpg

204_3_EN.jpg

This is a bit of a different post. Still, nice to have more explanations of what this entails.

This week's remix is Guile's Theme from Street Fighter II. Arranged by Yuzo Koshiro.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Glen-i said:

"Lucky Guess" (No-one knew who it was, but they could tell me where they're from)

Young Link

The rest of your list makes total sense, but this part... is only technically true, no? :heh: Obviously the kids know who Link is, they just don't know why is there a child, non-toon version of him, or which specific game this design is from.

Out of curiosity, if you show them a (nameless) picture of this Ganondorf, will they recognize him? Or Zelda, even?

6 hours ago, Jonnas said:

The rest of your list makes total sense, but this part... is only technically true, no? :heh: Obviously the kids know who Link is, they just don't know why is there a child, non-toon version of him, or which specific game this design is from.

Out of curiosity, if you show them a (nameless) picture of this Ganondorf, will they recognize him? Or Zelda, even?

Ah yes, I knew I forgot to mention something. You're right. Young Link is slightly different to the other Lucky Guesses. They guessed who he was and guessed the series, but couldn't be completely specific to what game he's from, and seeing as it's really obvious the character is "Link, but Younger", this is the only one I wanted something more specific.

That would be interesting though to show them other versions of Ganondorf and Zelda though. Whatever picture you tried to show me just now.

Edited by Glen-i

I fired up Super Smash Bros Wii U last night, and had a blast going head to head with random characters and bots. I didn't have batteries in any other controllers, so I ended up having to use the Wii U Gamepad. I ended up getting a cramp after about 20 minutes, god that controller is horrible...

Really looking forward to this game now :D December can't come soon enough!

That reminds me, need to play Smash Bros WiiU before Ultimate arrives on the 7th.  Need to give it a farewell.

6 minutes ago, Jimbob said:

That reminds me, need to play Smash Bros WiiU before Ultimate arrives on the 7th.  Need to give it a farewell.

You know, I never did get a score of 20 on Crazy Orders with Mario. I just Golden Hammer'd the crap out of that challenge in the end. I got 20 with a few others though.

Crazy Orders is great fun for quick games though. Nice to see it lives on through Spirits Mode.

So, is it still possible to play Smash Bros Wii U online, or did that die when the shut down miiverse? It would be cool if we could do a couple of final fights online with the other N-europe smashers before Ultimate hits.

Just now, ArtMediocre said:

So, is it still possible to play Smash Bros Wii U online, or did that die when the shut down miiverse? It would be cool if we could do a couple of final fights online with the other N-europe smashers before Ultimate hits.

You can still play Wii U games online. It was just Miiverse that got killed off. :( 

38 minutes ago, ArtMediocre said:

I'd be up for that, provided it's a Saturday.

Kinda disappointed about the lack of trophies. I loved collecting those things in the previous games. As long as the spirits have the little blurb about them and lists their first and most recent game then I'd say it's a nice substitute. Shame they're all flat and sticker like though.

That remix of

Spoiler

Guile's theme

is exactly what I want from a remix, barely changed at all.

• Thanks 1