NEurope
Julius

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

I've booked some vacation with December 7th being the last day so will also be off when this hits. That's awesome. Also had the day off when Smash 4 hit.

I highly doubt I'd be able to enter a tournament near launch date. Not because I don't want to, but because Portuguese stores are notoriously blasé about release dates. I expect to find a copy only a week later or so.

23 minutes ago, Jonnas said:

I highly doubt I'd be able to enter a tournament near launch date. Not because I don't want to, but because Portuguese stores are notoriously blasé about release dates. I expect to find a copy only a week later or so.

The Portuguese, late? I won't hear such a thing! 😋

Don't worry Jonnas, I'm away with work for 4 months in a few weeks time 😒

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Ashley said:

The Portuguese, late? I won't hear such a thing! 😋

Aye. 'Tis our worst kept secret. Every time I'm psyched for some release or the other, stores take at least one more week than the promised deadline to get stocked. No wonder we're so fatalistic.

1 hour ago, DuD said:

Don't worry Jonnas, I'm away with work for 4 months in a few weeks time 😒

Oh, bad timing :hmm: But maybe you'll be able to take the Switch with you and buy/play it wherever you'll be staying? Could be worth a training montage. Then you come back all buff, and kick all our arses.

I'll take it with me but not sure about internet for download?

Edited by DuD

Oh, I thought you were going to buy physical. If you're going digital-only, then that really is just an all-around bummer :hmm: Here's hoping you manage to find good enough wi-fi to download the game.

Physical won't be out before I go and I don't know as there'll be a shop for it where I'm going.

Does anyone know how the piranha plant dlc works? Would I still get it if I pre-bought off eshop but ended up downloading the game in March 19?

Just now, DuD said:

Physical won't be out before I go and I don't know as there'll be a shop for it where I'm going.

Does anyone know how the piranha plant dlc works? Would I still get it if I pre-bought off eshop but ended up downloading the game in March 19?

March would be too late, unfortunately.

Has to be done before Feburary.

• Sad 1

So I just chanced buying it on the eshop.. it's pre-loading right now

Edited by DuD
  • Like 2

On 11/3/2018 at 12:30 AM, Glen-i said:

Did somebody say N-E Tourney!?

Because we actually did that on the WiiU one. 3 seperate ones for Fun, Glory and Crazy Smash (Stupid, hilarious, nonsense matches) It was great!

Looks like good ol' clean fun. I used to play Brawl here online with fellow Nyurpers, and I am just wondering if people still experience some miniscule amount of button input delay? 

During the Brawl days this was sometimes more hindering than other times, and with a game like Smash this really needs to be limited as much as possible.

I'm hoping to get Smash when I get back to The Netherlands after a year of Melbourne and get a good set up going to lay the smack down on y'all with my one and only Pink Puff Ball! (Though I will be getting all into many characters I haven't played as yet too!!)

4 hours ago, Fused King said:

Looks like good ol' clean fun. I used to play Brawl here online with fellow Nyurpers, and I am just wondering if people still experience some miniscule amount of button input delay? 

During the Brawl days this was sometimes more hindering than other times, and with a game like Smash this really needs to be limited as much as possible.

For what it's worth. 4's online was an improvement over Brawl's. But a game like this is probably always gonna have some input lag, due to it's nature. It was pretty minor for our Tourneys on my end.

We did have an Ethernet connection, which is pretty essential and most of the matches were between people from the UK. So it was pretty ideal. I doubt you'll get the smooth experience all the time if you fight random people. Especially considering that the Switch can be played portably. There are gonna be people using Wi-Fi for this.

Oh god, the final version of the menu music has emerged!

giphy.webp

I think this might just have topped Brawl's menu music for me! It's so good!

EDIT: BTW, late controversial opinion, I'm not keen on the vocalised version. Bit corny, lacks the gravitas of Brawl's amazing vocal song. Which is still my favourite actual theme.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 3

I won't be playing online at all as I don't want to discover the true extent of how shit I am.

Just now, bob said:

I won't be playing online at all as I don't want to discover the true extent of how shit I am.

You're amazing. Don't doubt yourself. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, bob said:

Then play online with the likes of @RedShell and me! We like all sorts of crazy setups! For Glory matches are pretty boring in comparison.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 01/11/2018 at 6:25 PM, Glen-i said:
  Reveal hidden contents

In Brawl, it did exactly that.

In Smash WiiU, it lets you watch the character reveal trailers that were shown in the buildup to it's release.

The interesting thing is that Ultimate has both of those. Well, it definitely has one story mode cutscene and 6 character reveal trailers. So my guess would be that both of those are rewatchable.

Gamexplain summarised a walkthrough Sakurai apparently gave of the main menu.

Spoiler

According to this, the Videos section is described as "Watch Adventure mode movies/cutscenes" - hmmm....

Also, that classic mode mural is amazing

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would love to know Sakurai's thought process when deciding to make Piranha Plant a playable character.

*Looks at online discussions....

"hhhmmm so they want Waluigi do they?"

"No no, that's only what they think they want...Waluigi makes a good assist trophy....I'm gonna give them they most unexpected down right trolly character I can think ....and they will love it" :p

• Haha 3

In fairness it's like Chain Chomp being in Mario Tennis. It seems weird but it ends up working. 

1 minute ago, Mokong said:

I would love to know Sakurai's thought process when deciding to make Piranha Plant a playable character.

*Looks at online discussions....

"hhhmmm so they want Waluigi do they?"

"No no, that's only what they think they want...Waluigi makes a good assist trophy....I'm gonna give them they most unexpected down right trolly character I can think ....and they will love it" :p

BlandDismalCockatiel-small.gif

Probably the same thing when he came up with this idea.

297.gif

Or that guy.

1iLF.gif

Or my personal favourite.

He's crazy imaginative and it wouldn't be Smash without the character no-one saw coming.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Now I want Chain Chomp...

He has to have his tennis racket though. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Now I want Chain Chomp...

Unfortunately, that's the trap. You can't want a "WTF?" character because that means someone sees it coming.

There's spies everywhere!

• Haha 3

Knowing that Sakurai can make a moveset out of a potted plant makes me think he could make Rhythm Paradise into a playable character. Not the Chorus KIds or Karate Joe, I mean the actual cartridge. That's how he could represent the entire game.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1