NEurope
Julius

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Wow that's so well put together. Got me weirdly pumped.

Could someone confirm something for me - with the way online match preferences work, does that mean there is no way to play online just in a simple 1v1 no items final destination way constantly. From the sounds of it last night if you're playing online there is a chance you will be subject (half the time) to the match preferences of whoever you are matched with, which could be anything. Not very hardcore friendly if true (although I think the constant variety will be refreshing).

I'm liking the look of K Rool at the moment. His super armor mechanic is very cool, and I think opens up some very interesting rush mechanics. Think I might start with Mario though. Having played since I got soured on Brawl, which is a long time ago now, so could do with a simple character to practice the basics on.

On and the spirits thing looks great. Fiddling around until you find some OP builds will drain a lot of my time.

Have there been any talks on the forum about getting some tournaments together online. With the spectator mode we could all set aside a couple of hours and watch the whole tournament through.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, LazyBoy said:

Could someone confirm something for me - with the way online match preferences work, does that mean there is no way to play online just in a simple 1v1 no items final destination way constantly. From the sounds of it last night if you're playing online there is a chance you will be subject (half the time) to the match preferences of whoever you are matched with, which could be anything. Not very hardcore friendly if true (although I think the constant variety will be refreshing).

I'm liking the look of K Rool at the moment. His super armor mechanic is very cool, and I think opens up some very interesting rush mechanics. Think I might start with Mario though. Having played since I got soured on Brawl, which is a long time ago now, so could do with a simple character to practice the basics on.

On and the spirits thing looks great. Fiddling around until you find some OP builds will drain a lot of my time.

Have there been any talks on the forum about getting some tournaments together online. With the spectator mode we could all set aside a couple of hours and watch the whole tournament through.

Depends on how many people are going to buy Nintendo Switch Online, a service which has had plenty of backlash... but maybe more people will get it for Smash.

I've heard a lot of complaints about Switch online, but I honestly have no problem with it. Is it the best value? Not in the slightest. But I have been playing Dark Souls and Rocket League very regularly, and the online performance is reliable and quick. If that remains the same for Smash then I think 20 is fair for good online access. 

They could definitely be doing more, but coming from the Fantasy Star Online era I appreciate that what we have got is pretty good progress. This is Nintendo after all.

Does anyone know if there will be any way to export videos from matches you record? If we were to have a tournament would be cool to be able to edit it down to a recap video for the forum.   

Yeah, I don't know what they're thinking with the removal of For Fun and For Glory.  It seems like a big step backwards and I bet that the competitive community will not be happy with the decision.

Especially since they seemed to have been recognizing the importance of pro/serious community with this version and the WiiU (after the pick f**k you that was Brawl). Seemed like a weird back step.

More I think about it more Im looking forward to it though. The idea of every match being different, having to adapt to the situation, adjusting your game accordingly. Sounds like to bonafide time sink to me.

When you play the elite mode or whatever it was called, I'd wager 99% of people's preference will be simple 1v1 no items final destination.

I'm on the fence whether to buy this. The Wii U version killed it for me. I barely played it. I didn't know half the roster, and with no decent single player I had no enjoyable reason to try them out, which meant I had no clue what they were capable of online.

Spirits and the adventure mode look to have fixed my issues, but I don't know if I'm just burned out with the series.

For what it's worth, I have a feeling that this game will be THE game to get people back into Super Smash Bros. if they have fallen out of love with the series over the years.

I played Smash less with the Wii U version then any other version... probably, but I'm all in for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. :D

I feel the same.  Smash Bros WiiU wasn't played a lot by me (heck, the WiiU as a whole wasn't played a whole lot by me).  It'll be the game that people will get the online sub to play as well.  Smash was very popular at EGX, as it always is.

1 hour ago, LazyBoy said:

I took it as they would match you up with players with the same preferences.

Well I never played WiiU version (skipped the console entirely), but Brawl just was not good gameplay-wise. The feel of Melee - its pace, balance, nuances - was unprecedented, and the series had struggled to get back to that quality of competitive gameplay. 

Who knows whether or not Ultimate will achieve that, but early indications are good. The pace in particular is encouraging, and from the fights that are up on youtube there doesn't seem to be any game-breaking characters. Fingers crossed this does similar for the series as Melee did all the way back when.

Hopefully there aren't any gamebreakers... but a 74/75 character roster will be hard to keep balanced with so many variables. I can see this game having many balance patches with so many matchup cominbations that could potentially become overpowered or underpowered.

Pace being a bit faster is good. Often the best received fighting games are the ones that are of the faster variety and slowing it down can feel a bit of a step back. The first time I played the original version of Street Fighter II the slow pace struck me immediately.

I'm all down for playing a tournament of this when it drops. I'll be buying it november 15th when I get my paycheck, and I already have a yearly sub on the Nintendo Online. I think this will be the game to get people on to the Switch Online.

9 minutes ago, ArtMediocre said:

I'm all down for playing a tournament of this when it drops. I'll be buying it november 15th when I get my paycheck, and I already have a yearly sub on the Nintendo Online. I think this will be the game to get people on to the Switch Online.

You mean December 15th, right? :heh: If you wait until November 2019, you won't get Piranha Plant for free!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Jonnas said:

You mean December 15th, right? :heh: If you wait until November 2019, you won't get Piranha Plant for free!

No, I'm talking about November 15th, 2018, in about two weeks time :P. Preordereing this game ;D. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Did somebody say N-E Tourney!?

Because we actually did that on the WiiU one. 3 seperate ones for Fun, Glory and Crazy Smash (Stupid, hilarious, nonsense matches) It was great!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Did somebody say N-E Tourney!?

Launch day/weekend tourney?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ike said:

Launch day/weekend tourney?

Considering you only get 8 characters at the start, you might want to wait a bit.

Just now, Glen-i said:

Considering you only get 8 characters at the start, you might want to wait a bit.

Nah, that's part of the fun. :cheeky:

24 minutes ago, Ike said:

Nah, that's part of the fun. :cheeky:

Im actually taking the Friday off to play through the game, so I'll be up for a tourney as soon as possible!

7 minutes ago, LazyBoy said:

Im actually taking the Friday off to play through the game, so I'll be up for a tourney as soon as possible!

I break up from work for Christmas on the 10th of December ( I always horde my holidays for Christmas, although I have taken a week off for Pokemon Lets Go ) so there will be plenty of Smash being played by me.

A week off for Pokémon Let's Go? I don't think that game is going to last that long.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

A week off for Pokémon Let's Go? I don't think that game is going to last that long.

I had a bunch of holidays to use ( only used 2 days out of 30 up until mid October ) and figured I'd take the week off for that to get rid of some.

14 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

You think it will take @Hero-of-Time one whole week to complete the game? Two days max. :p 

Two of my best friends and I have taken the 7th off from work. We'll meet up and play Ultimate until the weekend's over. Just like we did with Melee 16 years ago...Jeez, 16 fucking years ago. :laughing: 

Can't wait :peace: Beer, Pizza, Smash and banter. What else could you need :D 

Edited by drahkon
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, drahkon said:

You think it will take @Hero-of-Time one whole week to complete the game? Two days max. :p 

Two of my best friends and I have taken the 7th off from work. We'll meet up and play Ultimate until the weekend's over. Just like we did with Melee 16 years ago...Jeez, 16 fucking years ago. :laughing: 

Can't wait :peace: Beer, Pizza, Smash and banter. What else could you need :D 

Similar situation for me. Myself and 3 mates are all meeting up for a night of Smash, with Chinese food being ordered for when we want a break. Exactly like it was when we played Melee all those years ago.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Similar situation for me. Myself and 3 mates are all meeting up for a night of Smash, with Chinese food being ordered for when we want a break. Exactly like it was when we played Melee all those years ago.

Awesome!

I already feel sorry for my mate's neighbours. We'll scream and curse non-stop and it'll only get worse once the beer is empty :D 

• Haha 1