NEurope
Julius

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

en_logo.svg

Nintendo Direct - March 8th

The game is revealed at the end of the March Nintendo Direct.

Inklings are confirmed, as was Breath of the Wild Link confirmed, though it was unclear if this was a new/replacement character for the existing Link, or a new variant of the existing Link character.

Masahiro Sakurai has also confirmed that he will be returning to the franchise with this game.

The teaser trailer confirmed Inklings and the BOTW design of Link (could be an alt costume).

• Thanks 1

It said "Original Game" at the bottom right hand side of the screen.....A new game and not just a port of Smash 4?

1 hour ago, Goron_3 said:

It said "Original Game" at the bottom right hand side of the screen.....A new game and not just a port of Smash 4?

The copyright for "original game" was listed separately to the 2018 copyright, so it means a port. (Edit: Although I guess it could also refer to the N64 version, still it seems a mistake on Nintendo's behalf to not make it extremely clear)

Hopefully they merge in all features from both versions, though.

I don't care if it's a port, it's Smash Bros. on Switch and it is the one game I think I would get a lot of mileage out of on the go so...

L090lvT.gif

• Haha 1

I'm still buzzing, I'm not gonna sleep well tonight.

I mean, I knew it was coming, I knew Inklings would be in, I even predicted BOTW Link getting represented somehow, and yet I'm still super hyped!

Let the pre-Smash hype begin!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Crazy how everyone knew it was coming, but the internet still explodes anyway.

God damn. I SAID GOD DAMN!

That's how you invite a Newcomer! Not some cutesy letter in their mailbox, no, you bring the ol' veteran crew and your burning logo as big as the sun, remain in the shadows, and just stare at them untill they join you in the scorching arena of Smash!

JitteryAncientGelada-max-14mb.gif

I have seen the light!

Edited by Fused King
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

EDIT: I'll get rid of the trailer now that it's been edited into the first post.

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Thanks 1

If this is a port with some new additions I will be very disappointed.

I’d not mind all too much if it was a port because I didn’t really end up playing Smash on my WiiU as the online was complete & utter dogshit... so it’d be like a new game to me anyhow.

2 minutes ago, Kav said:

I’d not mind all too much if it was a port because I didn’t really end up playing Smash on my WiiU as the online was complete & utter dogshit... so it’d be like a new game to me anyhow.

But the online will be comlete & utter dogshit with the Switch, too. The only difference: You pay for it monthly. :p Just kidding, people.

Yeah, a port would be great for those who didn't play the WiiU version but for me ports on the Switch suck. I've played most of the games already. ::shrug:

• Haha 1

A port would be fine if they add a lot of stuff - like a single player mode, some proper online and some new characters and items, perhaps a few new stages. I would be totally fine with that.

My only concern is whether to go digital with this or not. I regret not going digital with MK8DX because I don't want to bring the cartridge around but with this, I can't see myself playing much in handheld mode because I'm afraid of breaking the console or the JoyCon attachers! Thus, it wouldn't matter if I went digital, even though it would be nice to just be able to start it anytime.

I will go digital on this for sure! I mean, if there is one game I ALWAYS want to have with me for a quick multiplayer game, it's Smash Bros. 

I really, really hope they will add some serious alternative costumes in this Smash game. Thinking of how good Nintendo has been with "cosplay" in their games lately (BotW, Odyssey), it'd be a waste if all we get is "The same costume but with different colors!". Seriously Nintendo, we need to have some awesome costume variants! Let me fight as Odyssey Mario in one game, and polygon 64-version in another. Make it happen!

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, ArtMediocre said:

Thinking of how good Nintendo has been with "cosplay" in their games lately (BotW, Odyssey), it'd be a waste if all we get is "The same costume but with different colors!". Seriously Nintendo, we need to have some awesome costume variants! Let me fight as Odyssey Mario in one game, and polygon 64-version in another. Make it happen!

Yes please!

We need a new Link costume:

hqdefault.jpg

• Haha 3

Nice! exactly what the Switch needs to push more sales and crucially (on a personal level) another WiiU game I can sell

That logo reveal was beautiful.

I wonder if the teaser is hinting at some sort of story mode (please please please)

12 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

That logo reveal was beautiful.

I wonder if the teaser is hinting at some sort of story mode (please please please)

Considering the ridiculous Smash 4 trailers, (of which this one seems to be in a similar vein) I wouldn't say it was hinting at that at all.

3 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Considering the ridiculous Smash 4 trailers, (of which this one seems to be in a similar vein) I wouldn't say it was hinting at that at all.

There was a bit more to it than most Smash 4 trailers I'd say. Guess we'll find out at E3

1 minute ago, Ronnie said:

There was a bit more to it than most Smash 4 trailers I'd say. Guess we'll find out at E3

Eh? There was very little there really. Look up any of the character reveal trailers from Smash 4 and you'll see they have plenty of footage and special animations to accompany that footage.

This is more of a teaser trailer. I expect a more in-depth one at E3.

17 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Eh? There was very little there really. Look up any of the character reveal trailers from Smash 4 and you'll see they have plenty of footage and special animations to accompany that footage.

This is more of a teaser trailer. I expect a more in-depth one at E3.

I don't need to look them up, I'm well aware of all the Smash 4 character reveal trailers.

But you're right, I expect a more in depth look at E3 too.

Sakurai confirmed.

Right now we’re just at the stage where we revealed this game, but I’ve been working hard on this game in silence day after day. Please wait until we can release more information, or until release day!

Edited by Julius Caesar

I am so hyped for this. I can’t wait, this was the only Wii U game which had me close to buying one on several occasions.

I’ve missed Smash a lot. Really hope the online works and is fully featured then we have close to the perfect competitive multiplayer game.

• Like 1