NEurope
Julius

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

23 minutes ago, Mandalore said:

Right at the end, Unreal Engine appears at the bottom of the acknowledgements. Is that referring to use in a earlier game in the Direct, or Smash Bros Ultimate?

11 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Yeah, that's not Smash. I'm pretty sure another game uses it.

FighterZ uses Unreal Engine.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, drahkon said:

Earlier my mate asked me whether the release date has been announced, as he wasn't able to check. I told him, his first text (loosely translated):

"Lol, why the fuck aren't they releasing this alongside their online service?" :laughing:

It's baffling to me.

Because they need another three months of development time? Not that baffling.

Shhh.  You'll make them delay the online service again.

So I trawled through all of the Screenshots and noticed a few other tweaks for old characters. Not major things, but there was a biggie.

Little Mac no longer becomes helpless after using Side B!

Also, Greninja got nerfed again. His shadow Sneak is easier to spot now.

Here's an interesting screenshot though.

ss_5.jpg

My guess would be a Gold Flower item from NSMB 2

ss_5.jpg

Nothing new here, just Snake being Snake.

And I didn't see if Robin's Final Smash changed, but I still think Chrom's chances are summed up best with...

maxresdefault.jpg

I'm so hoping for new Codec calls and Palutena's Guidances.

Anyway, the invitational has started now. I'd be surprised if there wasn't a "One more thing" afterwards.

Edited by Glen-i

15 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Shhh.  You'll make them delay the online service again.

That.. would actually be a good thing.

• Thanks 1

Man, the Fake Smash Ball is just super hilarious. Can picture some choice moments getting recorded there.

The Launch Star is pretty trolly too!

I downloaded the press pack for this from Nintendo, about 900mb worth! Enormous high res renders of every new character portrait, with mind-boggling detail. Even more impressive, those group artworks, one of which is 20,000 pixels across. I've just spent a good 5-10 minutes zoomed in at 100% in awe...

Warning, huge files

Spoiler

42709033932_815893839f_o.png

40947781330_8f70a63a36_o.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Man, Ivysaur is so much more nimble now! I like it. Charizard wasn't used because he's easily the worst.

Seems the door in N64 Saffron City isn't done yet.

Edited by Glen-i

Currently watching the Smash tourny.

The game very much looks and feels like Smash 4.5. Not a bad thing I suppose but my excitement for the game has definitely been dampened a bit. It looks faster than Smash 4 but the mechanics and physics engine still feel 'off', especially compared to Melee.

5 minutes ago, Goron_3 said:

Currently watching the Smash tourny.

The game very much looks and feels like Smash 4.5. Not a bad thing I suppose but my excitement for the game has definitely been dampened a bit. It looks faster than Smash 4 but the mechanics and physics engine still feel 'off', especially compared to Melee.

It seems that playing defensively gets you punished easier, what with using rolls too often making them less effective.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1

Man, that was great. Smash Ultimate is looking very slick. Some awesome gameplay from the Invitational.

And so starts the long wait until December.

Just gonna post some gif's of some choice moments from the Challenger Videos.

K1VMH0.gif  WvjB98.gif  EK6haK.gif

wJUvgB.gif  SKlmrO.gif  YpPUpS.gif

That Zelda one is my favourite. And that Link Between Worlds style looks amazing! Yeah, I'm buzzing with hype!

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I watched a few of the matches, and the finals last night. Wow, it got REALLY intense! I can't wait to play this :D. And hey, it looks like tripping is gone :D

Just now, ArtMediocre said:

I watched a few of the matches, and the finals last night. Wow, it got REALLY intense! I can't wait to play this :D. And hey, it looks like tripping is gone :D

Uhhh... You didn't play Smash 4, did you?

Having had some time to dwell on last night's matches, I think I'm going to buy the game, despite it feeling like a modded Smash 4.

The game could do with a bit of work though, at least from a competitive point of view, as it still feels a bit too shallow. Hopefully they listen to feedback. That said, I have no doubt it will replace Smash 4 at tournaments, just as Smash 4 completely replaced Brawl.

Was anyone else expecting a character reveal yesterday at the tournament? I had my fingers crossed for Belmont!

3 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Uhhh... You didn't play Smash 4, did you?

wait a minute... Was that a Brawl thing? Did I mix up the games? I clocked in over 100 hours in Smash 4, so I should've remembered that xD

• Haha 1

This is just nuts. Completely and utterly nuts. :laughing: And I LOVE IT! :love::bouncy::yay:
From the moment it was clear that every character was returning, my jaw was on the floor. And it stayed like that until the end of the vid. :hehe:

I feel sorry for the next game in the series already though, it is doomed. :heh:

Except for the absolutely heinous decision to not have Waluigi as a playable character, this looks great. I am super exited for it. And I actually pre-ordered it last week.

I haven't played either of the last two Smash games, so this has a whole lot of new stuff for me.

Can someone explain what everyone is talking about when they talk about 'tripping'?

Also, what are Fighter Profiles? 

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Daft said:

Except for the absolutely heinous decision to not have Waluigi as a playable character, this looks great. I am super exited for it. And I actually pre-ordered it last week.

I haven't played either of the last two Smash games, so this has a whole lot of new stuff for me.

Can someone explain what everyone is talking about when they talk about 'tripping'?

Also, what are Fighter Profiles? 

Tripping was something that was in Brawl. Basically, your character would just fall over for no reason. Yay.

Still torn on this game after reading and watching comments from people that played it yesterdays. It's very much a Smash 4.5 in terms of gameplay and the fighting engine but I think that's reasonable when you consider that starting from zero again would make it pretty damn difficult to include all the characters. Apparently they are keen for feedback so hopefully that gets listened to. Either way, this game will certainly kill the Smash 4 community and probably sit alongside Melee, but I was hoping it would take some inspiration from Melee too as opposed to playing like a modded Smash 4.

That said, the Grand Finals of the Smash invitiation was quite exciting to watch! One thing that definitely feels like it needs work though is knockback momentum - characters seem to FLY off the stage at like 200mph after being hit by a move, but then they quite easily just float back. Not only do they love momentum but the gravity just feels...off.

• Thanks 1

Haven’t seen anyone post the box art yet, so...

1cqbxgaxnl311.jpg

...very much worthy of the Ultimate name! :bowdown:

Edited by Julius Caesar
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That is gorgeous!! Makes me doubt going digital for this game.... but I really wanna have this game available at all times, so digital it is!

I haven't been too impressed with some of the first party box art lately (Odyssey, MK8D, Mario Tennis) but wow, that's glorious.