NEurope
Julius

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Wasn't that picture of the day about two weeks ago...?

50 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Wasn't that picture of the day about two weeks ago...?

Nope, definitely todays. But it was shown during E3, so that's probably why it feels familiar.

31 minutes ago, RedShell said:

From today's update:

Music (Reveal hidden contents)

:laughing: Genius! :bowdown:

Someone on ERA created a topic for this and in doing so spoiled me on it, but it was a welcome spoiler. :D 

4 hours ago, RedShell said:

From today's update:

Music (Reveal hidden contents)

:laughing: Genius! :bowdown:

If y'all gonna step all over my turf, at least post all of the update!

(Although, I didn't realise there were YouTube videos of the music samples so cheers for that.)

Spoiler

Princess Peach's Castle

A returning stage from Super Smash Bros. Melee. Watch out, as Banzai Bill could come flying out of nowhere and explode. There are also red, yellow and green switches you can press to make "!" blocks appear. Try hitting them to get items!

78_1.jpg

78_2.jpg

Rainbow Ride is the better Mario Melee stage. Yeah, I said it! And what? Still, this is a decent stage, so it's nice to see it finally make a return.

Anyway, you already know about the F-Zero Medley that got ResetEra creaming themselves. But this one actually has a small description as well. Ahem...

"Takenobu Mitsuyoshi arranged and also sang the song for this version. The medley consists of DEATH WIND, FIRE FIELD, and perhaps more..."

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 2

Hori putting out some GC-inspired controllers with branding of Nintendo’s three tentpole franchises before Ultimate lands. These actually look pretty rad. They will plug into your Switch via USB. 

PDP also have some on the way, which, like the Hori controllers, are also inspired by Nintendo’s three tentpole franchises. 

jpg

jpg

jpg

What’s nice about the PDP controllers is that they let you play with the C-stick, or swap it out for a full-size stick. These come with a 10 foot (3 metre) long USB cable. 

PDP_GameCube_SmashPads_Social_Link_Stick 

Edited by Julius Caesar
  • Like 2

I was about to moan about wires but they seem long enough from what I understand of that nonsense measurement system.

9 minutes ago, Ashley said:

I was about to moan about wires but they seem long enough from what I understand of that nonsense measurement system.

Yeah, I don’t know why I didn’t just mention that it was 3 metres. Oh well, now I have I guess :p 

Edited by Julius Caesar

I get the feeling someone forgot to update the Smash site yesterday, because nothing showed up. Not even a character video.

And now there's two days worth of content today!

Spoiler

First of all, the music sample this time is a Galaga Medley.

This song, arranged by Yusuke Takahama, consists of four songs and sound effects from the game. It's like recreating the gameplay in sequence!

Fake Smash Ball

This dangerous item looks like a Smash Ball, but it explodes when you break it. Take a closer look and you can see that the horizontal line is thicker...

85_1.jpg

85_2.jpg

Lylat Cruise

This stage rests on top of the spacecraft Pleiades. Since the craft tilts from side to side, it can affect the trajectory of ranged attacks, as well as your recovery distance.

87.jpg

That Fake Smash Ball is just ripe for comedy. I can see a few choice moments happening because of that.

Spoiler

Assist Trophy: Rodin

Rodin gave Bayonetta her name. He summons a giant arm and unleashes a powerful blow, and sometimes he'll even give you a powerful weapon as he leaves.

90_1.jpg

90_2.jpg

Beautiful!

I like the little touch of him leaving behind powerful weapons. Fits Rodin perfectly.

Had a really nice session with the Wii U version and a friend yesterday. Now I'm looking really much forward to this.

• Like 1

There’s ya Evo announcement! :D 

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 3

Didn't we already have a Smash Bros Direct in June? :p 

Its probably worth creating a new thread for it.

Damn. Was hoping for a standard Direct. :( 

Nintendo, you do not need to sell Smash Bros. Ultimate to me anymore, ok? :heh: Seriously, enough is enough. Actually... I would like confirmation of custom stages. :D 

That's incredibly weird timing. So soon after the last Smash Direct, but still a while to go before the actual release..

The timing of this Direct (given it’s focused on Smash) seems pretty suspicious... :blank: 

Can you imagine if they’ve gone and brought the release date forward to coincide with the launch of the online service?! :o Super unlikely I know but hey, I can dream. :hehe: 

Reckon we’ll be getting some kind of beta/demo though, similar to the 3DS version. And that could potentially drop in September. :bouncy:

4 minutes ago, RedShell said:

The timing of this Direct (given it’s focused on Smash) seems pretty suspicious... :blank: 

Can you imagine if they’ve gone and brought the release date forward to coincide with the launch of the online service?! :o Super unlikely I know but hey, I can dream. :hehe: 

Reckon we’ll be getting some kind of beta/demo though, similar to the 3DS version. And that could potentially drop in September. :bouncy:

Good call. I was thinking if they throw in some details about the online service for good measure, plus the fact that its releasedate is a huge missed opportunity to promote the online service.. A demo / beta is something that could migitate that. A beta to go with the launch of the online service, exclusive of course. From a business standpoint it's almost as good as releasing Smash itself along with the service.

Plus a few extra surprise character reveals such as Rex and Chibi Robo.

Hype.

• Like 1

I think they could show off some story mode or something similar. That would seem like a realistic guess given the admittedly weird timing.

My favourite kind of Direct!

Defo gonna be at least one new character announcement. My incredibly exaggerated psychicness guesses that it's gonna be a Pokémon.

I get the impression it's gonna be similar to that Smash 4 50 facts blowout. Lots of info on modes and neat little tidbits.

Edited by Glen-i

I know the community loves hearing about every little detail in the game but sometimes I wish Nintendo would keep some surprises to themselves. I felt like I'd played Smash 4 by the time it came out after all the demos/Directs/character trailers.

But yeah, broadly speaking some single player stuff would be nice to hear about.

3 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I know the community loves hearing about every little detail in the game but sometimes I wish Nintendo would keep some surprises to themselves. I felt like I'd played Smash 4 by the time it came out after all the demos/Directs/character trailers.

But yeah, broadly speaking some single player stuff would be nice to hear about.

Yup. I think it's a BIG reason why I didn't really get on with Brawl or Smash Wii U because I practically knew everything about the games before they were released. 

Fire Emblem is in a weird place compared to the other Smashes.

After Fates, we've had a remake, a mobile game and a musou spinoff.

Spinoff games (that aren't Mario ones) are lucky to get a piece of music in, so I wouldn't put my money on much of Heroes or Warriors.

There's three possibilities now that I can see happening.

1. No new Fire Emblem character.

2. Celica getting in as an echo of Robin. (Maybe she has infinite magic use but each use does a bit of damage to her, just like her game)

3. The Switch FE protagonist Greninja's their way in.

You know, for all the stupid griping people have about too much FE in Smash, I think Smash 4 has the most fun reps from it. Robin's got a neat gimmick, Lucina is better than Marth and Corrin's got a really unique moveset.

Even Smash 4 Roy is miles better than the Melee one. Gone from my least favourite Melee character to being in my top 10.

Edited by Glen-i

8 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

You know, for all the stupid griping people have about too much FE in Smash

I'd say they're legitimate gripes. Nintendo has hundreds of characters to choose from so people, myself included, rightfully get annoyed when we get yet another FE character, regardless of their moveset. Sakurai has admitted he loves Fire Emblem and that's probably the reason for so many character.

19 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Even Smash 4 Roy is miles better than the Melee one. Gone from my least favourite Melee character to being in my top 10.

No.

NO.

Melee Roy is the best. 

I hate you. :p 

• Like 1