NEurope
Julius

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

As expected, the session with all the lads was absolute chaos. 8 player smash starts as a laugh but eventually the novelty wears off when winning a match comes down to just pure luck. It was still a decent evening and plenty of laughs were had but I was glad to get back home and play Spirits. I can actually see what is going on in this mode! :D 

An online meet up thread has been created for those wanting to organize matches and for pre and post match banter.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

As expected, the session with all the lads was absolute chaos. 8 player smash starts as a laugh but eventually the novelty wears off when winning a match comes down to just pure luck. It was still a decent evening and plenty of laughs were had but I was glad to get back home and play Spirits. I can actually see what is going on in this mode! :D 

I've done so much 8 player Smash from WiiU, I've actually gotten crazy good at coping with the utter madness that goes on.

I find that the "auto" handicap option is very helpful for eventually levelling the playing field. It can make things feel more fair for groups where the skill level can vary.

Anyway, has anyone tried All-Star Smash? I have, and it's bloody hard! My best score is only a measly 28 characters. The opponent's are annoyingly smart!

Edited by Glen-i

Ok, has anyone come against the Rayman spirit yet? Stamina battle, increased speed Sonic with an automatic assist trophy and higher starting stamina. God damn impossible. First time I've considered lowering the difficulty to normal. Any tips? 

Mario's Classic mode is basically against Nintendo's core franchises. :laughing: The character you unlock is very appropriate as well.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, LazyBoy said:

Ok, has anyone come against the Rayman spirit yet? Stamina battle, increased speed Sonic with an automatic assist trophy and higher starting stamina. God damn impossible. First time I've considered lowering the difficulty to normal. Any tips? 

Yeah I couldn’t do it so I’m leaving it until I’ve levelled my spirits up higher.  Similarly, very near to the Rayman one actually, there’s Boss (Metal Gear Solid) who has a 14000 rating who I’m yet to beat.

While I’m on the subject of World of Light, I’m actually enjoying it loads more than I expected to.  Some of the interpretations of the Spirits using the playable characters, stages and rule sets are really imaginative.  The Street Fighter mini area especially.  Considering I’ve heard this be called the weakest link in the game, I hope people actually give it a chance.

I didn’t expect any third party characters to be part of the Fighter Pass so I’m a bit surprised over Joker (Persona 5) being included.  I guess that’s fine though, nice to have a bit of variety. I guess the stage/music in that release will be Persona related too.  Considering the recent rumours, I’ll be a little bit miffed if it’s used as a form of advertising for the release of Persona 5 though.

34 minutes ago, LazyBoy said:

Play on normal. :D 

I struggled with the Pauline spirit battle this morning. It's a toughie and I spent ages on it. I only managed to beat it because the AI killed itself. 

Anyone managed to beat Giga Bowser and unlock him in WOL yet? 

Struggling with him!

1 minute ago, Aneres11 said:

Anyone managed to beat Giga Bowser and unlock him in WOL yet? 

Struggling with him!

Yeah, I unlocked him this morning. My setup for most matches is to use Kirby ( I never changed ) and equip Geno ( level 99 ) for a big attack boost, Deep Breathing ( attack up on down specials ), Hal Emmerich ( start with Beam Sword ) and Bonus Fruit ( extra stamina ). I've been able to clear most stages easily with this setup. Abusing Kirby's down special makes short work of a lot of enemies.

Sakurai you sly dog...

Spoiler

There's me thinking I had beaten the final boss and the mode and then you pull a Kid Icarus and show me there's a whole other section to the game! Cheeky devil.

There's certainly plenty of content in this mode, that's for sure!

• Thanks 1

Was having some trouble with Ganon at the end of Yong Link's classic mode. Couldn't figre to damage him at all. Seemed I had to hit his tail or the back of the legs maybe?

Got pushed all the way from 8.2 to 5.1 after all those contines >_>

7 minutes ago, martinist said:

Was having some trouble with Ganon at the end of Yong Link's classic mode. Couldn't figre to damage him at all. Seemed I had to hit his tail or the back of the legs maybe?

Got pushed all the way from 8.2 to 5.1 after all those contines >_>

You never played Ocarina of Time? Whack the tail. If you manage to stun him, you can then hit him in the head for crazy damage.

Ganon is definitely one of the harder bosses, I'd say there are two bosses I think are trickier though.

Edited by Glen-i

12 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Yeah, I unlocked him this morning. My setup for most matches is to use Kirby ( I never changed ) and equip Geno ( level 99 ) for a big attack boost, Deep Breathing ( attack up on down specials ), Hal Emmerich ( start with Beam Sword ) and Bonus Fruit ( extra stamina ). I've been able to clear most stages easily with this setup. Abusing Kirby's down special makes short work of a lot of enemies.

Sakurai you sly dog...

WoL (Reveal hidden contents)

There's me thinking I had beaten the final boss and the mode and then you pull a Kid Icarus and show me there's a whole other section to the game! Cheeky devil.

There's certainly plenty of content in this mode, that's for sure!

Thanks - although i wont lie. That meant nothing to me haha. 

I absolutely hate anything RPG related, so the fact they have gone down this route for smash is really frustrating for me. 

I have no idea what I am doing and it doesn’t make any sense no matter how much I try and get to grips with it. 

Sure, the obvious stuff like ‘makes you resistant to lava floor’ is ideal when you know you’re on a stage where the floor is lava, but what your primary spirit is doingI have no idea. 

Why is it levelling up? What is levelling up even for? What are the 2 bars that increase on a level up actually corresponding to? What difference do they make to one another because when you click ‘X’ for more  info on most of them they just say ‘none’ to trait. 

I mean, it’s cool in the sense that it changes the way the game is played, but it feels very much like overkill for me at the minute. 

Jesus, I'm struggeling with beating Rayman in WoL. Just keep on getting absolutely demolished by Sonic and that assist throphy.

I really, really enjoy the mode though, and gathering spirits is as involving, if not more, as collecting thropies was.

I had some problems With Beedle, Item gravitation to the CPU then just throw a beetle at me and fly me off the top of the screen.

I think I did that fight about 10 or so times

@Aneres11 if you open up the menu and select party you can change your spirits. Your primary spirit will have a total power level. If you look at the bottom you will see orange and blue bars. These are attack and defense stats that both add up to the total power level. As you level up these bars and your total attacking and defensive power will increase. For example, my level 99 Geno spirit has 5250 attack and 4750 defense. This gives a total of 10,000 power.

When picking a primary spirit some will be attack based ( red sword top left corner ) and others will be biased towards another stat, depending on the icon in the top left.

Your primary will have slots on it. The more slots the better as this will allow you to equip more support spirits. Depending on how good these supports are, some will use multiple slots, while others may just use one. Usually the better the ability they grant then the more slots they use. This is how you really go about customizing your fighter for each kind of scenario. Fighting in poison? Then equip a support that negates that effect.

Hope that makes some kind of sense. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ArtMediocre said:

Jesus, I'm struggeling with beating Rayman in WoL. Just keep on getting absolutely demolished by Sonic and that assist throphy.

I really, really enjoy the mode though, and gathering spirits is as involving, if not more, as collecting thropies was.

I think it's absolutely fantastic. It's easily the best single player mode in a fighter that I've played.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

@Aneres11 if you open up the menu and select party you can change your spirits. Your primary spirit will have a total power level. If you look at the bottom you will see orange and blue bars. These are attack and defense stats that both add up to the total power level. As you level up these bars and your total attacking and defensive power will increase. For example, my level 99 Geno spirit has 5250 attack and 4750 defense. This gives a total of 10,000 power.

When picking a primary spirit some will be attack based ( red sword top left corner ) and others will be biased towards another stat, depending on the icon in the top left.

Your primary will have slots on it. The more slots the better as this will allow you to equip more support spirits. Depending on how good these supports are, some will use multiple slots, while others may just use one. Usually the better the ability they grant then the more slots they use. This is how you really go about customizing your fighter for each kind of scenario. Fighting in poison? Then equip a support that negates that effect.

Hope that makes some kind of sense. 

Thanks! Appreciated!

i did re-read the tutorial just after i posted and it kind of made some more sense. I guess its just strange having so much depth to a game like Smash, but i can see how in the long run it’s probably to keep it fresh an offer up a new way to play. 

Ive found it slow to unlock fighters this way though, so just played some Classic mode with Fox which i ended on Intensity 8.6. 

Not bad considering Fox is not my go to. Come to me Ness my pretty. 

35 minutes ago, Aneres11 said:

Thanks! Appreciated!

i did re-read the tutorial just after i posted and it kind of made some more sense. I guess its just strange having so much depth to a game like Smash, but i can see how in the long run it’s probably to keep it fresh an offer up a new way to play. 

If you can't be bothered, you can just use the "Autopick" function before each Spirit battle and the game will just choose the most appropriate ones for the fight without making the fight too easy.

17 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

If you can't be bothered, you can just use the "Autopick" function before each Spirit battle and the game will just choose the most appropriate ones for the fight without making the fight too easy.

Yeah been doing that occasionally, but then it was assigning things to me and i couldn’t understand why which is part of the issue. 

Anywho, i’ll get there I’m sure. 

I have officially unlocked all of the characters.

Chrom was the hardest to unlock, I died three times before finally beating him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Super Smash Bros Ultimate breaks franchise records to become this week's No.1 UK boxed game.

It is the fastest-selling Nintendo Switch game released so far, eclipsing the combined launch sales of Pokémon: Let's Go Pikachu and Pokémon: Let's Go Eevee.

The game's launch sales are 302 per cent higher than the numbers achieved by Super Smash Bros for Wii U and they're 233 per cent higher than Super Smash Bros for 3DS. Launch sales are also 62.5 per cent higher than the Wii game Super Smash Bros Brawl. All of which means Ultimate is the fastest-selling Smash Bros game in the franchise's UK history.

It's worth noting that the sales only include physical numbers, so digital downloads of Ultimate have not been counted.

• Like 3

Crazy numbers, especially considering I suspect digital sales will have been pretty high. Switch software sales remain an absolute beast. Nintendo made a console that people want to play games on.

getting To the stage now where I basically can’t go any further with WOL as I’m stuck on every single stage. The yoshi one where there’s 4 of them and all fighters are easy to launch is pathetic. 

No spirit that actually does anything and whichever character I choose can’t get a hit on edge ways against any of them. 

Think I’ll stick to classic mode. lol.