NEurope
Julius

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

5 hours ago, martinist said:

Kinda disappointed about the lack of trophies. I loved collecting those things in the previous games. As long as the spirits have the little blurb about them and lists their first and most recent game then I'd say it's a nice substitute. Shame they're all flat and sticker like though.

Yeah it's a bit weird seeing them in big in the middle of the screen, but I think they look quite nice in that trading card format at least.

Amazing work from these guys as usual. World of Light looks to be absolutely massive, and the way each of the (many, many) battles seem to be customised to fit its particular spirit is amazing. I just wish the map wasn't so ugly and cheap looking.

Spoiler

Assist Trophy: Yuri Kozukata

The protagonist of Project Zero: Maiden of Black Water is now an Assist Trophy. If she gets you with her Camera Obscura you'll be paralysed for a short time, so watch out!

207_1.jpg

207_2.jpg

This Assist Trophy was a really nice surprise. It's also quite funny, which is always a plus.

You have to wonder why this camera works on the Smashers though. Although... You could say it was a kind of spirit camera... Oh my daze, I'm a freaking GENIUS!

• Haha 2

On 08/11/2018 at 7:29 AM, Glen-i said:

That would be interesting though to show them other versions of Ganondorf and Zelda though. Whatever picture you tried to show me just now.

I didn't try to link anything. I only meant the SSBU render of Ganondorf (though showing them the Hyrule Warriors version of him with the vast hair would also be funny)

• Confused 1

That is one hell of an ad! Nintendo knows how to market their games!!

EkH5j23.jpg

Sorry. On a serious note: Looks kinda like it could be the intro for the game, and I wouldn't mind that one bit! Man, the animations of Smash trailers and cut scenes just keep on getting better and better.

• Like 2

That's amazing, certainly looks like the intro video.

3 minutes ago, ArtMediocre said:

Man, the animations of Smash trailers and cut scenes just keep on getting better and better.

Absolutely. Not just the trailers and cutscenes but their adverts in general in the Switch era. I was watching some Wii U ads the other day (for a laugh) and dear god.

• Haha 1

@Ronnie, I wanted to give you a "Like" for that post, but seeing as Nintendo put out this monstrosity during the Wii U lanch

... you'll have to settle for a "Haha".

• Haha 2

Spoiler

Spirits

There are two kinds of spirits. Primary spirits boost the physical abilities of the fighter you equip them to, while support spirits provide special skills. Try out different combinations to power up your fighters!

208_1_EN.jpg

208_2_EN.jpg

208_3_EN.jpg

Random shout out to that Wii Music guy in the second picture!

Not much else to say though. But I do love faffing about with custom equipment in Smash 4, so this looks right up my alley.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Gourmetsalt said:

The monarchy that represents me. 

88f15d2dcc638f41eec8eb0b974694b1.jpg

Daisy not important enough, clearly.

I'm demanding a an alternative skin based on the movie Detetctive Pikachu version.

11 hours ago, Sméagol said:

I'm demanding a an alternative skin based on the movie Detetctive Pikachu version.

I'm still waiting for a Pokémon Mystery Dungeon style scarf for Pikachu (Squirtle would work too)...

Did you know that Pokémon spin-off's have only ever been referenced in Smash once? Nerdy points for the first person to identify which one!

Edited by Glen-i

14 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Did you know that Pokémon spin-off's have only ever been referenced in Smash once? Nerdy points for the first person to identify which one!

Easy peasy: Todd's vehicle from Pokémon Snap is a trophy in Melee.

• Like 2

How can anyone do a "Every song goes with" meme for the Smash Ultimate trailer and not do THIS?:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Spoiler

Pokémon Stadium

After ten years, it's back! In addition to the basic stadium formation, the stage also switches between Fire, Water, Rock and Grass variations. If you want to win on this stage,  you'll have to alter your strategy based on the current formation!

214_1.jpg

214_2.jpg

214_3.jpg

214_4.jpg

Why show all the formations except for Rock? This site lacks commitment! This is a solid stage, although I prefer Brawl's Pokémon Stadium 2. They're both in though so that's great.

This week's remix is "Seaskape" from Splatoon. It's arranged by Hirokazu Tanaka.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Spoiler

Assist Trophy: Akira

From Virtua Fighter, Akira joins the battle with the same graphic style as his original appearance. He has a wide variety of attacks at his disposal, but none represent him better than his Tetsuzankou. When he leaves the fight he says his signature line!
By the way, Bayonetta's forward throw is also based off of Tetsuzankou.

212_1.jpg

212_2.jpg

I didn't know that Bayonetta's forward throw was a very subtle Virtua Fighter reference! Awesome! More reason for me to like her.

But wait, double feature today!

Spirits

Primary spirits come in different types: Attack, Shield and Grab. Attack has an advantage over Grab, Grab has an advantage over Shield, and Shield has an advantage over Attack. Try to equip spirits that are strong against your opponent's spirit team!

211_1_EN.jpg

211_2_EN.jpg

I know this has been said before, but I really like how the spirit battles use the source material as inspiration. Take that Melia one above. In Xenoblade, Melia is a magic wielder that is good at dealing periodic damage over time. Hence, Poison effect and stronger magic attacks. It's really cool.

Also, if you look carefully on that last screenshot, the right hand side shows Shulk's icon underneath Palutena's name. So I get the feeling you'd have to fight Shulk as well as Melia-powered Palutena.

• Thanks 1

Erm... just a heads-up about the GC controller adapter...

Thank you for your recent pre-order of Nintendo GameCube Controller Adapter for Nintendo Switch through the Nintendo Official UK Store.

We are contacting you as the GameCube Controller adapter has been postponed until May 2019 due to unforeseen production issues.

Please rest assured that once we have a confirmed launch date we will notify you and does not impact any other Super Smash Bros. Ultimate items you may have pre-ordered at the same time.

You do not need to do anything at this time, but if you wish to cancel your order you can do this by logging in to your Account on the Nintendo Official UK Store website.

I already have one which I have from Smash from Wii U but I guess they must be rebranding them with the Switch logo or something.

I'm assuming that the big bundle which has the adapter in as well I think, will just be sent... minus the adapter?

Anyway, hopefully they'll still get the game out just fine, as I'm not waiting until May. :p

• Thanks 1

Hope that doesn't affect the bundles, maybe they didn't have enough for both the bundles and individual skus?

Isn't the GameCube controller already out in the US as well?

Wait, I'm confused. I thought there already was a Gamecube controller adapter for the Switch? Or is it only for the Wii U?

I was planning on getting a Switch+Smash Bros (bundle or no bundle), then get the adapter as an extra so I can use my old GC controllers. Do I actually have to wait until May 2019 for its release?

1 hour ago, Jonnas said:

Wait, I'm confused. I thought there already was a Gamecube controller adapter for the Switch? Or is it only for the Wii U?

I was planning on getting a Switch+Smash Bros (bundle or no bundle), then get the adapter as an extra so I can use my old GC controllers. Do I actually have to wait until May 2019 for its release?

It just uses a USB connection, so it works on both.

• Like 1