NEurope
Julius

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Spoiler

Pokémon: Mimikyu

Mimikyu drags a nearby opponent under its rag and attacks them! The opponent cannot move while captured by Mimikyu, and if they end up with more than 100% damage after the attack, they'll be instantly KOed.

167_1.jpg

167_2.jpg

I know every character has it's fans, especially when it comes to Pokémon. But I am so glad Mimikyu isn't the new playable Pokémon for Smash. It's the Garchomp of Sun/Moon. Decent design ruined by everyone using one all of the time. The novelty wore off quickly and it just became annoying.

Spoiler Pokémon: Mimikyu
Mimikyu drags a nearby opponent under its rag and attacks them! The opponent cannot move while captured by Mimikyu, and if they end up with more than 100% damage after the attack, they'll be instantly KOed.
167_1.jpg
167_2.jpg
I know every character has it's fans, especially when it comes to Pokémon. But I am so glad Mimikyu isn't the new playable Pokémon for Smash. It's the Garchomp of Sun/Moon. Decent design ruined by everyone using one all of the time. The novelty wore off quickly and it just became annoying.

Does it always look like a Pikachu I wonder? Would be cool if it mimicked other Pokémon like Chansey, then when you ran close to get healing items, it grabbed you and didn't let go.

21 hours ago, bob said:
21 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Does it always look like a Pikachu I wonder? Would be cool if it mimicked other Pokémon like Chansey, then when you ran close to get healing items, it grabbed you and didn't let go.

Always a Pikachu. Mimikyu's deal is that it wants friends, so it tries to look like the most popular Pokémon.

10 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Always a Pikachu. Mimikyu's deal is that it wants friends, so it tries to look like the most popular Pokémon.

Which is weird as it's the most recognisable in our world but is there any indication that Pikachu is the most popular in lore?

37 minutes ago, Vileplume2000 said:

Look, I like Greninja as much as the next Glen, but Greninja was the flavour of the month back in 2016. I doubt it'd beat Pikachu nowadays.

And let's not forget that there was a bias towards hard to get Pokémon because the winner got a special distribution later. Which is why the likes of Arceus was there. No-one knows Arceus.

18 of the top 25 were legendary/mythical Pokemon, that pretty much says it all. "My favourite Pokémon is Diancie!" said no-one ever.

Pikachu is the most popular and well known Pokemon. When you have an official annual parade all about the thing, how can you ever question it?

pikachus-770x513.jpg

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

Which is weird as it's the most recognisable in our world but is there any indication that Pikachu is the most popular in lore?

This is a better question. Pikachu isn't actually all that if you go by the NPC's in the Pokémon games. It's just another Pokémon to them.

Which kinda ruins Mimikyu even more for me because now it doesn't make as much sense.

On 06/10/2018 at 2:11 PM, Glen-i said:

Look, I like Greninja as much as the next Glen, but Greninja was the flavour of the month back in 2016. I doubt it'd beat Pikachu nowadays.

And let's not forget that there was a bias towards hard to get Pokémon because the winner got a special distribution later. Which is why the likes of Arceus was there. No-one knows Arceus.

18 of the top 25 were legendary/mythical Pokemon, that pretty much says it all. "My favourite Pokémon is Diancie!" said no-one ever.

Pikachu is the most popular and well known Pokemon. When you have an official annual parade all about the thing, how can you ever question it?

pikachus-770x513.jpg

This is a better question. Pikachu isn't actually all that if you go by the NPC's in the Pokémon games. It's just another Pokémon to them.

Which kinda ruins Mimikyu even more for me because now it doesn't make as much sense.

Oh trust me, I'm aware of Pikachu parades

But yeah, Mimkyu only works in a meta way.

5 hours ago, Glen-i said:

What about the special Pikachu in ORAS? Or the celebrity Pikachu in (U)S(U)M? Or the Pikachu camper/zone in USUM?

Pikachu’s fame is well known within the franchises lore, hardly just another Pokémon, right?

There was a celebrity Pikachu in Sun/Moon I recall.

Pokemon is a bit inconsistent lorewise anyway, mainly because in game lore and relality kind of blends into one and many Pokemon's different origins and all these different alternate dimensions contradict one another. 

Kinda totally forgot about the celebrity Pikachu in Sun/Moon.

Hmmm... Might have to cause another argument with a tier list of how famous each character is in their respective series.

• Haha 1

There's also the fact that the generic trainer "Pokéfan" tends to be dressed in Pikachu merch, giving us the idea that the yellow mouse does have a sizeable fandom, in-universe (I know other people mention Clefairy and Oddish as other "cute" popular Pokémon). So, even if Pikachus aren't popular for combat, it's likely that they're still very popular among the general populace as far cute pets go (so, a lot like cats in real life).

Spoiler

Boxing Ring

You can jump really high using the ringside rope. And when you attack the lights on the ceiling...well, you'll have to wait and see. By the way, holding down the L Button when selecting this stage will turn this into the Punch-Out!! version of the Boxing Ring!

172_1.jpg

172_2.jpg

There isn't really much to say about this stage. Well, except for the taglines that appear above each fighter on the screen in the background. The English ones are way cleverer than the American ones, BTW.

This week's music is a remix of "ID (Purpose)" from Fire Emblem Awakening. It happens to be my favourite piece of music from that game, so I'm happy to see it get a remix.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Spoiler

Assist Trophy: Zero

He appears from the Mega Man series. Just like in his original appearance, he uses his learned moves to wreak havoc on stage!

173_1.jpg

173_2.jpg

Well, that description blows. Unfortunately, I can't do much better, because I'm not a huge Mega Man Buff. Sorry.

But I can tell you of a weird typo that's in this post. The website writes it as "Zero Assist Trophy" I fixed that. Looking forward to my new job as Social Media Dude at NoE.

My fears got confirmed today with today's blog post about Greninja. It transforms into lame-o Greninja during it's Final Smash.

That Pokémon just cannot catch a break in Smash. It gets hit with a thousand nerfs in Smash 4 and now it gets it's aesthetic nerfed.

Ash sucks.

• Sad 1

On 10/12/2018 at 7:17 AM, Glen-i said:

Ash sucks.

Truer words have never been spoken. The Pokemon marathon on Twitch is evidence enough for this.

Speaking of Ash, he's one of the many Mii Fighters I've created on Smash 4 that I'm planning to bring into Ultimate. Just uploaded a video of them all below, sorry for the blurry thumbnail:

Edited by GenericAperson

I can't help but feel personally insulted by this conversation 😋

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, GenericAperson said:

Truer words have never been spoken. The Pokemon marathon on Twitch is evidence enough for this.

Speaking of Ash, he's one of the many Mii Fighters I've created on Smash 4 that I'm planning to bring into Ultimate. Just uploaded a video of them all below, sorry for the blurry thumbnail:

Those Super Sentai ones are great, especially Marvelous.

• Like 1

Spoiler

Pokémon: Marshadow

This Pokémon can hide in the shadows. When it finds its target, it will emerge from the shadows and deal a powerful punch! When there are multiple opponents, it may change its target between punches, so you'd better keep an eye out!

178_1.jpg

178_2.jpg

I dunno, I think it looks more creepy than cute. I just don't see it.

That reminds me, I still need to get Zeraora from GAME. Shame the one I normally go to has closed...

Spoiler

Green Greens

A stage based on Green Greens from Kirby's Dream Land. Whispy Woods (the tree in the centre) blows wind to the sides. You can eat the apples it drops to recover health! Or you can just pick them up and throw them at your opponents.

180_1.jpg

180_2.jpg

Is it weird that Melee went with this as a stage and then had the N64 version be an unlockable? I think so. Oh well, the 3DS Green Greens beats both of them anyway.

This week's remix is "Flash Man Stage" from Mega Man 2. Yes, another Mega Man 2 remix to go with the three from the previous Smash. It's arranged by Keiichi Okabe.

Spoiler

Pokémon: Ditto

Ditto will transform into the fighter who threw the Poké Ball when it joins the fight. After the transformation, Ditto will have the exact same abilities as the original fighter!

186_1.jpg

186_2.jpg

I know I'm not the only one to have thought "Ditto doesn't stay pink when it transforms" But this is the game where Squirtle can drown, so screw it!

I'm more keen on the idea of a fight with 18 Ice Climbers in it!

• Like 1

Spoiler

Green Hill Zone

The concave landscape and blue Point Marker are iconic to this stage. A Point Marker will twirl when the ball is hit, dealing damage to anyone nearby. The ground can collapse after attacking it, so be careful!

188.jpg

Only 1 picture... Strange.

I genuinely can't decide whether I like this stage or Windy Hill more. Sonic got some good stages.

This week's music is a remix of "Lost Painting" from Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. It's arranged by Tetsuya Shibata from Unique Note.

Oh and BTW. Heads up.

HUGE MASSIVE WARNING!

There are reports of a leak. Yeah, yeah. I know. What else is new? But this one actually could be legit. Because if it turns out to be fake, it's probably one of the best fake leaks in Smash history. I'm not gonna tell you directly what it reveals (It is playable character based). And I'd appreciate it if everyone else did the same. If people want to know, they can find out themselves.

Apparently, someone has a photo of the final banner art for Smash. You know, that awesome artwork that shows all the characters?

But this has something that's not in the current artwork you can see on the Smash Website.

So you've been warned. Careful with your browsing.

Edited by Glen-i

I want to see it. But I don't want to go and find it. Guess the latter will win out... This time. 

I assume we're due another Smash direct pretty soon anyway (gotta show off that story mode) so it probably won't be long until they officially reveal the full roster. 

I'm not that invested in Smash but prefer to be surprised during character reveals so I haven't had a look, hoping Ricky is one of them though obvs.