NEurope
Julius

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Spoiler

What is going on with the hair?  It's so low poly.

I know you won't see it in action, but why release that as a screenshot?

Hmm that spoiler title doesn't work too well now that there's a page break.  Might go and randomly delete an old post :p

• Haha 1

Man, I've been away for a week and I missed some vital dancing talk.

@Dcubed, I have to agree with Glen-i. The 8-bit shuffle, as well-executed as it is, is not enough to salvage Mega Man from the "dad" tier. The main piece of evidence is the Top Spin from MM3. It's the only weapon that forces Mega Man to dance... and it's also the one he's the worst at using. It depletes an inconsistent amount of ammo, it causes an inconsistent amount of damage, it damages himself most of the time... Too clumsy. Furthermore, he can't even shoot up, which would help his presentation tremendously.

@Glen-i, one last question: Dark Samus refuses to dance, but Ridley accepts. What made you reach this conclusion?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Jonnas said:

@Glen-i, one last question: Dark Samus refuses to dance, but Ridley accepts. What made you reach this conclusion?

While he wouldn't bust some back-breaking moves for any old schmo, even Space Dragons have to get a girl somehow. So under the right conditions, I believe he would.

Problem is, he's so obsessed with killing Samus and all that, he hasn't even tried to refine them. Hence, guaranteed faceplant.

Dark Samus on the other hand, being Metroid Prime's DNA mixed with Samus' suit and a big dollop of Phazon only has one thing on mind. Why impress people with dancing when you can just brainwash them with Phazon?

For what it's worth, Dark Samus would be a pretty sweet mover otherwise.

Spoiler

Assist Trophy: Rathalos

This giant beast will appear when summoned, spreading it's wings to create a powerful attack. Rathalos has fire breath and a roar that stuns opponents. Finding an opportunity to get an attack in can be difficult!

122_1.jpg

122_2.jpg

If I'm remembering right, this would make Monster Hunter the second third party series to get an Assist Trophy but not an actual playable character.

Well, unless Monster Hunter actually is a character they're saving for later. It's possible, but I feel like they would have shown that first if it was a thing.

• Haha 1

Spoiler

I think Shovel Knight and Bomberman were both shown before Rathalos, which would make him the third "third-party AT from a series without a fighter"

• Thanks 1

There's no way Donkey Kong isn't a fantastic dancer.

His down A move in the original SB was literally just a breakdancing move.

Look at his funky self -e4ec19eaa0ab6b73444a1a90061799e3.gif

Oh Tarnation! I forgot to update this with Wednesday's update. Darn you, Monster Hunter!

Spoiler

New Donk City Hall

This stage is based on Super Mario Odyssey's New Donk City. When a fighter touches a band member, their instrument gets added to the background track! Mayor Pauline also makes an appearance.

124_1.jpg

124_2.jpg

124_3.jpg

I get the feeling the interactive music won't work on every music track...

Speaking of music, there's a remix of "Yoshi's New Island - Main Theme" composed by Shota Kageyama.

Wasn't able to update this yesterday. So here's two for the price of one, with music!

Spoiler

Final Destination
Though this is a simple stage, with no stage hazards or floating platforms, the background has been updated for this game. Make sure you don't get too distracted and get defeated!

132_1.jpg

132_2.jpg

It's Final Destination! Insert Melee diehard joke here.

Pokémon: Alolan Exeggutor
Check out this taaaall Pokémon. It may seem like it just gets in the way, but it can actually make it harder or easier for you to get a KO depending on where it's placed on the stage.

133_1.jpg

133_2.jpg

I mean, you could just go around it, but it's sporting of the smashers to stick with the rules, I suppose.

There's also a remix of the Fortress Boss Music from Super Mario Bros. 3. Arranged by Akihiro Honda.

10 hours ago, Glen-i said:

No, because that's Bulbasaur.

And Ivysaur evolves from Bulbasaur so his dancing gets better.  It's basic science.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Ashley said:

And Ivysaur evolves from Bulbasaur so his dancing gets better.  It's basic science.

Not necessarily, Ivysaur weighs more than Bulbasaur. By that logic, Venusaur should be even better. You think that lug could jam? Because I doubt it.

Even so, it's not enough to get Ivysaur bumped to Dancing Legend.

Smash Ivysaur already has better moves than that GIF.

Spoiler

Summit

This stage is so exciting! When the summit of the mountain clears up, you can slide down the incline straight into the ocean. There are tons of details to take in: the aurora floats over the mountaintop, a polar bear with sunglasses and swimming trunks swims in the ocean, and there's a mysterious fish that tries to eat the fighters...

141_2.jpg

141_3.jpg

I really liked this stage in Brawl, way better than the Ice Climber stage from Melee. That fish from Balloon Fight is now gonna be in two stages with Ultimate.

The music this week is "Pikmin - Main Theme" and it's arranged by Hideki Sakamoto.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1

Well yeah, Dillon needs a stage from Rolling Western. That just makes sense.

Shut up, I have to keep the dream alive!

I'm expecting Pokémon Sun/Moon to get something. (Even if Pokémon Mystery Dungeon has far more interesting locales to use)

Oh boy! I've done another tier list that has nothing to do with actual Smash Gameplay! This one is here to teach y'all which console each character appeared on first!

lHbq0AQ.png

Before you start getting all nitpicky, some things I want to point out.

• Dr. Mario came out on both the NES and Game Boy on the exact same date in Japan. So I went with the American Release dates, the NES one came out first there.
  • Donkey Kong from the Arcade game is not the Donkey Kong that you play as in Smash. This was canonised with Donkey Kong Country. So there!
  • While Captain Falcon is featured in the artwork for F-Zero on the SNES, he never shows up in that actual game. F-Zero X is where he first showed up in-game.
  • The Zelda characters are determined by the game that their depiction in Ultimate is from. So Link is from Breath of the Wild, Zelda is from A Link Between Worlds, etc.
  • I counted Breath of the Wild as a WiiU game, because it originally started as one and was then ported to the Switch.
  • Although Wolf appears in the SNES title StarFox 2, that didn't officially come out until the SNES Mini was released. So N64 it is.
  • Animal Crossing originally came out on the N64 in Japan.
  • Zero Suit Samus is from Metroid: Zero Mission. Don't argue.
  • R.O.B first appeared as an actual character in Mario Kart DS.
  • Yes, Sonic and Lucario are in the correct place. Trust me on this. Feel free to demonstrate your nerdy knowledge and explain why.

Maybe you learned something, you know, apart from how much of a nerd I am.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Weird 1

20 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

While Captain Falcon is featured in the artwork for F-Zero on the SNES, he never shows up in that actual game. F-Zero X is where he first showed up in-game.

No. Just no. :heh: 

I need to lie down...

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, RedShell said:

No. Just no. :heh: 

I need to lie down...

You know it's true though. Accept the inevitable!

I did enjoy doing the research for this one. I definitely learned a couple of things. Like where Richter is from (Had to ask @Dcubed about that. The Castlevania nutjob) and just how little of the DS is represented in Smash.

Luigi was the most surprising for me though, could've sworn he was in the arcade catagory. But nope, Mario Bros. G&W came out before Mario Bros. Arcade. Nuts, huh?

2 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Accept the inevitable!

I will do no such thing! :hehe: 

2 hours ago, Glen-i said:

and just how little of the DS is represented in Smash.

This is why Karate Joe needs to be included, oh wait... that would be GBA though. 

Ok, it’s time for playable Nintendog! :laughing: 

• Haha 2

I can agree with most of it, but why have you placed BotW Link under Wii U while you placed a modern iteration of let’s say Pac Man under Arcade? It’s still Link just with a different outfit, right? 

8 hours ago, Glen-i said:

...and Lucario are in the correct place. Trust me on this. Feel free to demonstrate your nerdy knowledge and explain why.

Maybe you learned something, you know, apart from how much of a nerd I am.

This is the only one which I think I know that probably comes as a surprise to some people, so challenge accepted :p it’s been a very, very long time since I played Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Blue Rescue Team, but if I recall, the top rank in the game is Lucario Rank, which requires a LOT of Rescue Points (maybe double that of the previous rank, which was already quite high, but I’m not too sure?), and the reward for attaining that rank is a Lucario statue outside of your house. I don’t think that I actually got the to that rank and got the statue myself, so I might have read it in Pokémon World? Anyways, while Blue Rescue Team was first released on the Nintendo DS, it’s partner game, Red Rescue Team, was released on the Game Boy Advance. I mean, @Glen-i, I suppose that you could make a case for Lucario first appearing on both DS and GBA, in this case, because I believe that both versions were released on the same date? I might be wrong about that, though. 

Awesome write-up by the way, I learned quite a bit :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, markderoos said:

I can agree with most of it, but why have you placed BotW Link under Wii U while you placed a modern iteration of let’s say Pac Man under Arcade? It’s still Link just with a different outfit, right? 

Link isn't the same Link as other Links. That's been established. Pac-Man is always Pac-Man. No matter the design.

The only character that's the same person throughout the Zelda series would be Ganondorf.

3 hours ago, Julius Caesar said:

This is the only one which I think I know that probably comes as a surprise to some people, so challenge accepted :p it’s been a very, very long time since I played Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Blue Rescue Team, but if I recall, the top rank in the game is Lucario Rank, which requires a LOT of Rescue Points (maybe double that of the previous rank, which was already quite high, but I’m not too sure?), and the reward for attaining that rank is a Lucario statue outside of your house. I don’t think that I actually got the to that rank and got the statue myself, so I might have read it in Pokémon World? Anyways, while Blue Rescue Team was first released on the Nintendo DS, it’s partner game, Red Rescue Team, was released on the Game Boy Advance. I mean, @Glen-i, I suppose that you could make a case for Lucario first appearing on both DS and GBA, in this case, because I believe that both versions were released on the same date? I might be wrong about that, though. 

Awesome write-up by the way, I learned quite a bit :) 

Yep, you're right. Lucario appeared in Red Rescue Team on the GBA.

And you are right twice. Blue and Red Rescue Team came out at the same time. But it's obvious that the GBA one was made first with the DS one being the port job. Especially when you compare it to the sequel. Pretty much the same situation as Breath of the Wild actually.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Link isn't the same Link as other Links. That's been established. Pac-Man is always Pac-Man. No matter the design.

So what you’re actually saying is that Sakurai (and Nintendo) are lying when they’re saying everyone is back. And that this Link isn’t a veteran fighter and his character slot number is incorrect.

Nice try buddy, now try again! ;)

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, markderoos said:

So what you’re actually saying is that Sakurai (and Nintendo) are lying when they’re saying everyone is back. And that this Link isn’t a veteran fighter and his character slot number is incorrect.

Nice try buddy, now try again! ;)

Did the Link from Twilight Princess have those remote bombs? Or the Ancient Arrows? Different Link. "Everyone is here" is a lie! It's the scandal of the century!

• Haha 1

I... have questions.

3 hours ago, Glen-i said:

The only character that's the same person throughout the Zelda series would be Ganondorf.

Yep, you're right. Lucario appeared in Red Rescue Team on the GBA.

1. If you're going to interpret it that way, shouldn't Ganondorf be on the NES tier? Since Gannon from that game is him?

2. Did you not know that Roy debuted on the Gamecube?

3. From Julius Caesar's description, didn't Pkmn Red Mystery Team only feature a statue of a Lucario, therefore not actually him?

3a. And if "statue" counts as a debut, then I hereby claim that ROB debuted in F-Zero GX. I'm pretty sure he has always been there in Port Town (Aero Dive).

4. Where does Isabelle rank in the dancing tier?

5. Rad Mobile. This one is not a question, it is an answer.

1 hour ago, Jonnas said:

I... have questions.

1. If you're going to interpret it that way, shouldn't Ganondorf be on the NES tier? Since Gannon from that game is him?

2. Did you not know that Roy debuted on the Gamecube?

3. From Julius Caesar's description, didn't Pkmn Red Mystery Team only feature a statue of a Lucario, therefore not actually him?

3a. And if "statue" counts as a debut, then I hereby claim that ROB debuted in F-Zero GX. I'm pretty sure he has always been there in Port Town (Aero Dive).

4. Where does Isabelle rank in the dancing tier?

5. Rad Mobile. This one is not a question, it is an answer.

1. It's a fair point. Honestly, Ganondorf is one of the more... Trickier characters to place. There's the whole Ganondorf is Ganon thing, some games say they're two separate beings, some say they're not.

Even so, Smash focuses on Ganondorf the Gerudo and we first saw that one in Ocarina of Time. So I made my decision based on his Smash depiction. If Beast Ganon ever became playable, he'd be immediately placed in the NES catagory.

2. I'm surprised no-one mentioned this sooner. I'm not counting Smash itself. It's perfectly up to interpretation on this matter. Saying GameCube for Roy would be perfectly fine. I'm not gonna try and say GBA is the only answer.

3. In Red/Blue Rescue Team, Lucario is a Rescue Team Member like a lot of the Pokémon in those games. He's basically referred to as the best of the best. The statue Julius Caesar is talking about is a reward given to anyone who reaches the highest rank. Kinda like an honorary thing, I guess. But Lucario is a character in it. Even if most people will never see it.

3a. I considered F-Zero GX for R.O.B. It's a unique situation because back then R.O.B was a toy. Nothing more than that. Mario Kart DS was the first time R.O.B was given an actual personality (Yes, personality is a bit strong for R.O.B but it was sentient). It became a video game character then in my opinion.

4. Glad you asked. Completely average. Every Animal Crossing character shares the same animations as Villager these days, especially in New Leaf. So before I agreed that Villager should be moved to "It depends", he was in "Completely average" Because Isabelle is not a custom made character, it's a pretty easy decision for me to place her in Villager's old spot.

5. Yep. It's one of the strangest video game facts really. Plenty of people know about Mario's first appearance. But Sonic's appearance there is something I can imagine would surprise a lot of Sonic fans. (I only learned about it because it's mentioned in a Smash 4 loading screen)

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1