NEurope
Julius

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

I'm pretty sure they already have a replacement.

He'd better be fucking wearing purple.

1 minute ago, Tim B said:

so what is the "Mystery mode" they were teasing? Any ideas?

I'm sure that it's a story mode.  Sakurai was pretty specific in stating that Rathalos appears both as a stage hazard AND as a boss seperately... which means that there has to be boss battles!

Also, if you look closely at this part of the Simon Belmont trailer...

eZnacAl.gif

The introductory section with Simon entering Dracula's throne and Dracula's reveal is not normal gameplay and looks like a cutscene...

... I think that the madmen are actually gonna attempt a new story mode! In a HD Smash game! :o 

• Like 2

Physically shaking here.

5 characters at once! I don't care if three of them are echoes, I'm hyped!

I like the Final Smash meter mode. It's like PS all-stars, but in an actual good game. Also cheekily nicked the mid match stage swap to make sure it really does have nothing. And Stamina mode not being relegated to Special Smash is a welcome change.

But holy crap, the sheer amount of stuff is mind-boggling! We're at 71 characters now! Insane!

• Thanks 2

As someone who isn't that into Smash that direct was completely overwhelming. There are so many stages, so many characters and so many rules to tweak it's really impressive but I worry it will be overwhelming for more casual players.

It was a pretty good direct even for someone not that into the series but I was a bit disappointed they didn't use this as an opportunity to tell us the finer details of the online services and I would have liked to see something of the story mode because a solid single player campaign like the Wii version would really sell me on the game but I'm sure that'll be the 'mystery mode' that Sakurai was referring to.

That Belmont trailer was top tier though, when Death murdered Luigi I totally lost it.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, killthenet said:

That Belmont trailer was top tier though, when Death murdered Luigi I totally lost it.

Shouldn't have given his fellow kart drivers that death stare, suits him right!

• Haha 2

Fantastic Direct. It really is Smash: Kitchen Sink edition. 

Best thing about all this is I'm gonna be adding some cracking new characters to my amiibo collection. :D 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, killthenet said:

As someone who isn't that into Smash that direct was completely overwhelming. There are so many stages, so many characters and so many rules to tweak it's really impressive but I worry it will be overwhelming for more casual players.

For what it's worth, there's only 8 characters available at the start of the game. You unlock the rest. So character choice paralysis shouldn't be an issue to anyone who buys it.

Because I'm a complete saddo, I've compiled a list of what stages are missing from Ultimate.

Spoiler

Smash 64

Planet Zebes (Metroid)

Sector Z (Star Fox) (The Melee version called Corneria is in though, and they're basically the same stage)

Melee

Icicle Mountain (Ice Climbers)

Poke Floats (Pokémon)

Mushroom Kingdom (Mario)

Brawl

Rumble Falls (Donkey Kong)

Pictochat

3DS

Rainbow Road (Mario Kart)

PAC-Maze (PAC-MAN)

WiiU

Jungle Hijinks (Donkey Kong)

Pyrosphere (Metroid)

Woolly World (Yoshi)

Orbital Gate Assault (Star Fox)

Miiverse

That's all of them. Metroid and Donkey Kong paid a high price for it's shiny new characters.

WiiU got hit hard, you'd think those would be the easiest to bring over...

Very upset about Pac-Maze and Orbital Gate Assault getting the chop. Those stages rocked!

EDIT: I also declare K.Rool to have the best render in this game.

Switch_SuperSmashBrosUltimate_char_KingK

Sassy point!

Edited by Glen-i
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Dcubed said:

This game does seem to have literally everything you could ever ask for!

latest?cb=20130515120305

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

...This direct was AMAZING... my hopes for Lloyd in smash increases! :'3 K Rool was originally just a costume...Also The King K Rool character video made me love Dedede even more then I did already. :'3 I'm going to try and main K Rool! I did it with Dedede i'm sure I can do it with K Rool!

• Like 1

That took me completely by surprise, I thought they were all set with 65 characters total after that big E3 trailer! And did I hear right that there are still more to come?

"Simon waits for Luigi to die before he takes any action" EZA reactions are stellar as usual. Watching through it again reminded me of some of the moments I found hilarious - Diddy climbing Alolan Exeggutor's neck and Ditto morphing into a Splat Kid were incredible.

I thought I was done with amiibo but I can definitely see myself picking up at least Simon Belmont.

Wow. That was quite something. The amount of content in this game is unbelievable, but more importantly, the amount of love that's being put into it... incredible. :bowdown: It really is a celebration of video games.

I was hoping Shovel Knight would be a character, so seeing him as an assist trophy is a shame, but how can you complain about anything after a Direct like that!

Looking forward to seeing the secret mode when we get closer to release, really hoping for a story mode and not that board game thing on Wii U.

7.8 too much content.

Disappointed Chrom only got a generic "joins the battle" entrance quote thingy, they missed a chance to play off his line from the Lucina & Robin trailer.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Mandalore said:

That took me completely by surprise, I thought they were all set with 65 characters total after that big E3 trailer! And did I hear right that there are still more to come?

Come on, despite the whole "Don't expect many newcomers" line, they were never gonna settle on just 3.

They'll probably be at least a few more characters.

Sakurai is a fan of unlockable characters that he wants to keep secret until the game is out and someone finds it just by playing.

Well, ideally. Dataminers ruin that these days.

If one could only buy one game to get to know about games and its history Smash Bros Ultimate would be it.

Good lord Sakurai and his team are putting in the work like mad men.

If there will be some type of story mode in here with cutscenes than HO-LY FUCK will this game be perfect. The mash-ups in the trailers have been great so far. Putting Luigi in Dracula's castle is a stroke of genuis. The green plumber trying to flash a mummy into shock, HA! Would've been hilarious if he tried that on Dracula himself. FOOLISH PLUMBER!

The potential crossover cutscenes are already too much to think about. King K. Rool is such a fucking beast who needs some eye drops.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Sakurai is a fan of unlockable characters that he wants to keep secret until the game is out and someone finds it just by playing.

That's not happening this time, Sakurai explicitly said in the video that they would be revealing every character prior to the game's release.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, killthenet said:

"Simon waits for Luigi to die before he takes any action" EZA reactions are stellar as usual.

I enjoyed watching the presentation more with them than I did watching it on my own. Kyle constantly laughing kept setting me off. His reaction to this was fantastic.

l94ZfmH.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Excellent Direct! :cool:
Although I couldn't help but be slightly disappointed with the first character reveal, purely because there are other Konami characters that I'd much rather be seeing in Smash. :cry:But yeah, they obviously gotta go with the more mainstream choice, can't blame them for that.

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

l94ZfmH.gif

I was cracking up at that! Probably the best moment of the entire Direct for me. :laughing:
Can't wait to see other characters trapped inside the bus. Hopefully Kapp'n can pick up multiple "passengers" as well, would be hilarious to see several of the larger ones all squashed together. :D

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Haven’t seen anyone mention the Limited Edition bundle for the game yet? 

Screen_Shot_2018_08_08_at_12.18.54_PM.0.

It will include the game (obviously), a Nintendo GameCube Controller Super Smash Bros. edition, and a Nintendo GameCube Controller adapter. It will release on December 7th along with the standard edition of the game. 

I was out yesterday, so missed the livestream, but caught up with the Easy Allies reactions video. Kyle’s laughing had me in tears, especially the Banana Gun :laughing: praise be to Sakurai, loved when they revealed the numbers with tongues in their cheeks :bowdown:

• Like 1

I already have both four GC controllers and the adapter so won't be buying this. May buy a new GC controller, though, as they are getting rather old.

55 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I almost want to get it just for that lovely box

I'm exactly the same, that box is pure art! 

There's no way that bundle will be available for more than 30 seconds after it is released. After that, it'll only be found on eBay for several hundred pounds.

• Sad 1
  • Angry 1